main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Shameless pirate talk thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Harrr! So, no Cap'n Jack here, so I'm a takin' o'er. Ye all be on me crew now, and accordin' to th' code I get ta pass out the booty, so mind me and be on yer best wi' me, or nothin' bu' the lash is what ye get! Now, work hard and ye be gittin' rich. Don' work and ye be gittin a look at the keel from way down low, yesee?

*swaggers behind the wheel, gives it a turn*

And when I say booty, I be talkin' gold, jewels, treasure. Tis not that 'other' kind of ship.

And tis bad luck for us to set sail wi' women on board, remember that! Th' aren' any here...

*raises eyebrow menacingly*

...haaar there?

*waits for crew to respond*

2. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Note: this thread is not meant to be discriminatory. It's intent is to, like in the day, have women conceal their sex and portray men.

I.E. just say Arrrr and we'll move on, LOL.

*winks*

(RE: Yellowbeard for historical references *snickers*)

3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Aye! We all be men at the mast t'day, mates!
    So bend an ear t' the cap'n and The Hawk won't have to dig 'is talons in ye!

Y'arrr!

(p.s. LOVED POTC2...Wow...what an ending!)

4. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    *sails in and climbs aboard. Walks up to Barbossa and hangs on him* Well, now, I have a proposition.....

Since the man who is propositioning is making the offer, then the man who is getting the offer must listen. So.....*places both hands on Barbossa's chest and looks up at him*

Since right now, both of us are without a ship..you it appears permanently, me, only temporary... it seems that we must work togeather in a ...partnership..type of arrangement. Savvy? So, mate, there will be no commandering while I'm here. I only went out to...*looks at palm of hand* Oh Bugger! Did I mention my eyesight is still good?

Anyways...do we have an accord? *puts out hand to shake, then suddenly grabs flintlock and shoots the monkey!*

Oh Look! An Undead Monkey.. I love doing that!

5. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I posted a review in my lj. I won't post one here for fear of spoilers. If you WANT to read it, it's here:

http://scendan.livejournal.com/563845.html

Feel free to comment, it's open to folks with and without LJs.

However, I warn that I was very disappointed in the sequel. Although I will always and forever adore the first movie.

:)

- Cracked Carrie, masquerading as Kai Vandekar, but not speaking all canty...

6. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, first off, can't figure out how to post on your Live Journal LOL

But, see it again. The first time, was a bit of a shock..ok HUGE shock..not as much Jack... but what happened to something I dearly love. Then went to see it again. Noticed a lot more and things made more sense.. Then the third time.. FINALLY GOT IT!!! And now I've changed from.."well ok" to OMG..There are sooo many things hidden in the film that tie in with everyone and everything. NOW I understand why the people, pyrates, etc did what they did..and it is actually pretty brilliant. But it is NOT spelled out..that's for sure. Jos and I spent the entire drive home just discussing "Wow!" While different than the first (which I sill love)..I'm growing towards really embracing the second one. Think of Empire Strikes Back for one thing. But, mainly how there are hints and clues just scattered EVERYWHERE.

Davy Jones when I first saw him.. it was ok.. THEN I really watched him and now I really like him. The crew was interesting...different than that of the Pearl.. but again, now that I start to get it...Bootstrap..yeah that was the one dissapointment. I really was hoping for a closer father/son relationship and I didn't see the physical resemblance at all; espcially since Jack made such a point out of it.

But now that I've seen it more than once, I really like it. Lots of stuff to say... but don't want to throw out any spoilers.

EDIT: Tia Dalma....OMG!! WHAT an awsome character. Now, she really has taken a place in my heart! Completely and totally fell in love with the character and performance!!!!!

7. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Oh, thank heavens, Kai, I thought I'd be the only one. Right there with you, baby.

It was like helplessly watching dollar bills burn...

Went to the El Capitan on Sat night (pre show effects are COOL by the way, and the Mighty Wurlitzer!!!). Seewwww: I dug the first 10 minutes. I dug the last 15 minutes. I thought they COMPLETELY missed the boat (heh) by not playing up more of the East India Company plotline, which should have been MUCH MUCH more threatening and sinister than it was portrayed (think pretty much "Exxon with Guns") instead of Ernst Stavro Whitewig sitting behind his desk petting his white cat. I mean, really. (Fun fact: The EIC=first corporate logo.) Anyway. The letters of mark thing was spot-on, I still had hope for the film at that point, but then unfortunately (insert sound of player needle scratching over vinyl LP as it screeches to a halt)... One of my buds leaned forward to me and said (a'la Jurassic Park): "Um, is there going to be Johnny Depp in this Johnny Depp movie?" Amen to that. That the only reason several of us didn't leave was we were trapped in the middle of our rows and didn't want to be jerks. Lots of cell phones coming out to check time in the audience around us, at about the 70 minute mark, and THAT's never a good sign. Aieee. One member of our party actually fell asleep.

So I felt it was a pretty good 25 minute movie. But I do so love watching JD run.

And Mr. Cotton's Parrot was GROSSLY underutilized. But that's just me.

None of this will stop it from making buckets of money, but I hope it enjoys its opening week while it lasts...nobody was wildly enthusiastic when we left the theater, and we were WITH the Disney-geek and pirate crowd, AT the Disney/El Cap venue! Aieee again.

MrCottonsParrot
    Caryn Bardas

8. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    When we saw it at El Cap yesterday, it got a standing ovation..same with the other two times we saw it. Glad we got to go with a great crowd!! [face_dancing]

9. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Eh, I will watch it again, but I doubt I will change my mind on the things I disliked. I think they really butchered Jack, and I think the quoting and requoting of the first movie rivals the worst annoyances of George Lucas dialogue.

I think I get the plot, so it's not that I didn't understand things -- I just didn't like the parts I didn't like, and most (but not all) of those are not plot-related.

I will just hope for the third to be better. And will continue to love the first one. :)

Oh! And to comment in my LJ, just click on the little pencil and write a comment. It will show up as an anonymous one, but you can say who you are. :)

- Kai

10. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Saw it and liked it, as much as the first actually, but I know it's part one of a two part movie. It's a bit like the Two Towers before Return came out, left some people a bit high and dry I suppose.

But I found the action exciting, the humor spot on, the best un-said line in the film was "Now there's something you don't see everyday..." Seems so many times people just had that stunned look on their faces that said it all.

And Davy Jones is the best CGI enhanced character I've ever seen. The movement of the skin, translucency, and the expressions he portrayed. I suspect he will be a rather sad character, more tragic than evil, by the end of the series.

And the ending, weeeeel now, Jaaack. Ye didn' think tha' be the en' now, di' ye?

And I suspect there is a lot more that will make sense later on, little hints and suggestions.

Visually stunning. Our theater seemed pretty jazzed by it all, and many went back to buy tickets for a later show to see it again. We'll give it a bit ourselves.

And it was nice to see the historical references along with the fantasy aspects, gave it a more realistic feel.

And Orlando sure gets a workout, don't he?

I'll never look at a hamster wheel the same again.

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    The thing is, I tend to LIKE the middle installments of movie series--The Two Towers was, if not my favorite, my second favorite of the three (and I loved them all). The Empire Strikes Back is hands-down my favorite of all the Star Wars films.

And I still didn't like this, in spite of my tendancy to like middle sections.

*shrug*

Sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket, here. I guess I'm just surprised that few others seemed to think that Jack's character was gutted and made into a bit of a cheap joke at his own expense. Really soured me on most of the film.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

- Kai

P.S. We had a very enthusiastic crowd. At first. Big burst of applause as the title came up, etc. But as the movie ground on, audience reactions lessened. And lessened. Until about halfway in, the jokes received no response, except for this one dude several rows behind us who laughed like a hyena any time someone quoted a line already used in the first movie. That was it. At the end, most people seemed to bolt for the exit. (We waited for the "Easter Egg" at the end, but it was just me, my friend Eric, and maybe two other small groups of people.)

P.P.S. I still have reasonably high hopes for #3! Just so I am not accused of writing off the movie series...I haven't.

P.P.P.S. Word, Mr. Cotton's Parrot.

12. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    (Eh, I will watch it again, but I doubt I will change my mind on the things I disliked. I think they really butchered Jack, and I think the quoting and requoting of the first movie rivals the worst annoyances of George Lucas dialogue.

I think I get the plot, so it's not that I didn't understand things -- I just didn't like the parts I didn't like, and most (but not all) of those are not plot-related.)

Kai, I think I love you, and I don't even know you. I'm not going to waste my money, or another 2.5 hours of my life I'll never get back. I'm going to save my time for a movie that I *know already* is going to be deliberately bad, and will love anyway (Snakes). It's a heck of a lot more honest!

I have NO problem with a "Two Towers syndrome" picture, and I don't think anyone else does either, filmgoers are (or SHOULD be) sophisticated enough to figure it out (and practically everyone knows there's GOING to be a third film, so why should anyone be surprised?). But it's the basically rub-your-nose-in-it attitude of "LOOK AT THAT PLOT POINT!" bludgeoning of the senses by this film, that really irks and insults me. ("Oh, oh, oh, look, the dirt fell on the deck, let's HOLD on that shot and you better REMEMBER it!" comes immediately to mind. Shoot me now.) I'm not paying twice for "dumbed down."

Standing ovation? "So this is how good cinema dies, with thunderous applause." I'm not asking for War & Peace, but I'm also asking to not be tortured, when the first one was so enjoyable and fun.

The Parrot
    Caryn B.

13. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow, Parrot..why don't you REALLY tell us how you feel. Don't hold back..it's ok.. we can take it! LOL

Ok, should have been more specific, the clues and things were visual, not spoken, and when you do notice them it's sorta a WOW feeling, because they are so well hidden, yet in plain sight at the same time.

Ok..Parrot, we also got the point.. you are gonna LOVE Snakes on a Plane....I'm terribly happy for you.. Sincerely....absolutely... irrevocably...So are we all in a good place now?

But, its also ok that people like this film or don't like it. Me I like it..like I said, I'm also one who absolutely despises Sound of Music..in fact got banned from performing in a local theater group because I dared say that to the director. So, Thank The Force that not EVERYBODY likes the same thing. That's what makes the world go around. So, Loved this film...can hardly wait for the next. The more I see it, the more I like it. But it's also OK if other people don't. Savvy?

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    And ecumenically? Gramatically?

Savvy! And thanks for allowing those of us who didn't like the film to also express that here, in the thread, without making us feel unwelcome because of it.

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    /\ Savvy... Anytime, Luv!:D

16. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    As far as being tortured, perhaps it's a matter of taste. Seems IMDB rates is 7.8 out of 10, Yahoo gives it a B+/B- rating, MSNBC give it 3 1/2 out of five stars (can't claim bias, NBC ain't ABC/Disney), and it's raking in Box Office Gold, breaking the records set by EpIII.

Okay, so you could say it's hyped well and does have Depp star power, but a stinker?

We'll see what the box office does over the next week after word of mouth spreads, but I think it's going to do very well, probably better than X men. Only really bad review I've seen is from Entertainment Weekly which gave it a D-, but most are either positive or mixed.

Wha' e'vr floats yer boat, Aye say, harr.

Either way, too bad you folks never seem to hook up, even both went to the El Cap and missed each other. And a no show at Disneyland. Well, there's plenty of other conventions left in the year, maybe you'll finally meet in person, or in the feather so to speak.

Good thing you are not an undead monkey too. Not a good time was had by that poor wretched creature, that is for sure. Na'yer a goo' time a'tall.

17. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    B'sides, wha' harr ye heathen all doin' hai-jackin' my thread? This is pirate talk, not talkin' about Pirates, ya see?

If ye are not on me crew, like Hawkie there, then ye are to be put ashore.

'Course since we're at sea, ye are goin' to have to walk now, *chuckles* savy?

*shoves the plank out with his booted heel*

So, git to it. Unless ye are undead or a monkey or both, and there 'tain much o' tha' here now, harr there?

Who wants to be first to meet Davey Jones hisself?

*leers*

An' Jack, Jaaaack...

*puts his arm over (not the monkey) Jack's shoulders, rather fatherly*

By our last accord, I was to be Commodore, ye'are commandin' officer, and here you went then and shot me daid, so I don' be thinkin' kindly on that, no, not at'all.

On top o' that, ye been shootin' me little friend Jack, an' it 'taint much fair since he's dead and don' have a gun ta shoot back with.

*smiles ironically*

Harr, but then ye'll be soon in his shoes now won' ye, Jack Sparro'? Fair 'tis fair, Hahaha!

18. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    *waves from the Crow's Nest*

I say we let 'em aboard Cap'n/Commodore. We could use a bi' o' fun an' tha' Sparrow feller seems ta know his way aroun' a boat..err..ship.

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    *looks up at Barbossa..sorta guilty..but grins* Ahhhh, now you see.. The Monkey likes it. Sorta a "game" between the two of us. Savvy? Besides, shooting him makes us both feel better. He gets attention and I get me frustrations out. Speaking of which...*turns and draws flintlock* WHAT DID THE PARROT SAY??? *aims*

20. mrcottonsparrot

Jul 26, 2004
    A week from tomorrow, I assure you...Comic Con ahoy. I HAVE to go (like that's a trauma!), I'm working an exhibitor booth.

The El Cap thing was weird -- had I known to look for a particular Cap'n, I would have -- I was at the 8 pm showing on Saturday night, you can't get much more 'in public' than that... Then again, there were about 60 people in pirate costumes in the audience (it was some kind of group thing). Yarr.

You don't think I'm an undead monkey? You've never seen me at 9:00 a.m. on a workday...

The Parrot
    Caryn B.

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Y'all be spammers, th' lot o' ya!! :p

22. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
  23. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Spammers? Nay! We be pirates, scallywags, y'hear!
    T'aint nuthin' in the code that says we needs talk civilized with a lotta long words.
    By the by, Cap'n Jack, it bein' a week till the big to-do. Do ye think Port San Diego can handle a few pirates? :D

24. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Haaa, them's be fightin' words, hard a port, we're givin' her a broadside!

*BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM *pop*

An' see to tha' four gun, seems a bit weak.

Load chain shot for another round!

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    [face_shame_on_you] Arrr... ya know bet'r than ter fire on yer RSA... Bad luck, it tis, and could result in ya being banned, matey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.