main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Share Your Episode II: Attack of the Clones Memories

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Apr 12, 2022.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    May 16th of this year marks the 20th anniversary of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. To celebrate we invite everyone to share their Episode II memories and experiences here. Let us know if you saw it opening night or years later. What were your thoughts then and what are you thoughts now? Did you dress up for the premier? Buy the toys? Any commercials or promotions that stand out? Does this news make you feel as old as it make me feel? Let us know!

[​IMG]

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I liked the TV spots that had the different "professions". The local theater never really did midnight screenings (I also happened to be working at said theater at this time) so I skipped school that morning and went to the 10AM showing with a few friends. It was the final 9-weeks of senior year, grades were frozen, no harm there. I was surprised the theater wasn't full, maybe 2/3 or so. Thought the effects were pretty damn good at the time. Went to go see it again the next night and would catch bits and pieces during work throughout the summer.

Pretty good two-week stretch in May 2002: Spider-Man then AOTC.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014

Yes! Those and the Doritos commercials are what I remember most in terms of TV ads!

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I remember watching it as a kid, pausing the Battle of Geonosis at every opportunity to better see all the Jedi in the background.
    It was overwhelming, but also so epic at the same time.

Sadly, I was to young to see it in Theaters when it first came out.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I was a kid when we saw it in theater, the most memorable part was when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber. It was the biggest crowd reaction I’ve ever seen in a theater, howling, yelling, bedlam. The build up and anticipation was not as high as TPM though, but we loved it.

6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    First Star Wars film I ever saw in theaters. I wasn't even 3 when TPM came out in May 1999, so I would've been too young for that.
    We had a lot of the toys and I got it on DVD in 2003. We'd rented it on VHS about once before we got the DVD.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I was 4 years old when the film came out (turning 5 in August), yet I remember quite a bit. The 3D Dortitos ad and the Go-Gurt lightsaber commercials specifically

Also my brother and I got our first electronic lightsabers around this time and both of us got Anakin’s saber. This was the first SW film I saw in theaters (and the only one until 2015). I did make it to the theater for ROTS in 2005, but ran out (was 7 years old and PG-13 was still too intense at times):p

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I was already old when it came out—well, older than you lot, anyway ;). I saw AOTC with a date (I think we only dated for a few months), we both loved it. I remember it was a full house but we nevertheless got great seats.
    My strongest memory is the crowd reaction during the Yoda/Dooku fight. People were applauding, cheering, and whooping.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I was to young to see it in theaters and if I did I don’t remember it.

but I remember my first time watching the whole saga . Back in probably around 2006. I rented all 6 at once from Blockbuster and watched them in release order. I loved every single one of them. My favorite part of AOTC as a kid was the arena my favorite part now is probably the dual between Dooku and Yoda.

It’s been far to long since I have watched any of them. Now I really wanna watch AOTC.

Also the Kamino theme is one of the best themes in starwars

10. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Saw Attack of the Clones in the famous Ziegfield theatre in nyc many times in 2002, great memories and great experience with the fans especially when Yoda fought Dooku the place went crazy and the energy was amazing ,20 years later Clones is still my favorite star wars movie.

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I first saw bits of it it on the TV at a Star Wars themed birthday party when I was 8- then saw it in full for the first time a few months later on VHS- good memories all around.

12. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    The last Star Wars movie i saw in theatre, I dvd'd the rest.

13. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I saw it three times in the theaters and loved it. Great new characters, locations, music, plot twists, etc. And yes, everyone was abuzz about the Yoda lightsaber fight. I was in my mid-20s.

My friend, who I saw it with on opening day, got the video game which was fun. "We've got battle droids knocking on the door!"

I got some memorabilia, but no toys. However, I will never forget seeing the Anakin vs. Tuskens Lego set for kids in the stores and cracking up with my friends.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I was 13 when it came out and I saw it opening day. Around this time I was on a Star Wars high, playing the video games, watching the previous movies, drawing characters…you name it. I liked it at the time, grew to believe the negativity but now I’m back to enjoying myself. Amazing, atmospheric locations with Kamino and Geonosis, solid action and developing intrigue with Palpatine and Dooku. It’s definitely not the worst film in the saga.

15. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I lived in Guangdong, China, when AOTC came out. First thing I noticed (no, I didn't do any countdowns or awaited it eagerly) that a new SW was out were posters in the clothing chain store "Bossini", which also sold SW - both Clones and OT motifs - t-shirts and caps. The whole family got some, and I still have a t-shirt or two that is still good enough to wear today. They had this huge poster of Anakin and Padmé, the one where she holds a blaster and he the blue lightsaber, on one wall of the store.
    It wasn't screened in my city at first, so I caught it when I went to Guangzhou with my family. But that wasn't until July. Just checked my journal - we watched it July 21, 2002. As I wrote in another thread, I was pleasantly surprised. I had zero prior info about the movie, so no expectations. We re-watched AOTC when it came to my city a few days later.
    I hadn't even touched my bootleg DVD I had gotten a few weeks earlier, got a legitimate copy in Hong Kong in November though. Original DVDs are/were simply not available in mainland China.
    AOTC resurrected my interest in SW, which had become more or less non-existent after TPM. So I did have some expectations, watched the trailer and did some reading when ROTS came out. I also watched that one first in China. Again I was pretty impressed.:)

16. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    AOTC spawned the first hilarious viral SW video for me. Spoiler tags as there is some language:

17. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    This film was one of the reasons I cancelled my Empire magazine subscription.

18. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I just KNEW it. Every single thread about AOTC would eventually degenerate into a hate fest. Well done! :rolleyes:

19. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    AotC memories are good; one friend who saw it really early somehow mentioned it had the coolest alien design ever, which turned out to be the Kaminoans so that had me intrigued. Went and saw it on the day after release with a buddy and enjoyed it quite a lot. I do remember the audience reaction and mine too when Master Yoda came out to duel Lord Tryanus at the end. That was pretty awesome and funny as everyone started laughing too at some point.

My memories of AotC are fond ones. I saw it at least three times in theaters and bought a VHS tape right away and watched it loads of times.
    Bought the DVD as soon as it was released.

It has some of my favorite SW stuff to this day, including the Clawdite Zam Wesell who I even somewhat based my RPG character on in the True Sith Empire. And I think Kamino is a really interesting world and has a terrific design.

I thought Hayden did a good job and had some impactful scenes, especially on Tatooine, although all of my friends argued with me about this as they pretty much thought he sucked, even to this day lol.
    I still think he did a good job, but it's not worth arguing with your friends IRL about it I've learned.

It's also cool that JW used electric guitar in the score during the Coruscant chase. Not often you hear that instrument in SW.

I've always been and always will be a fan of AotC. I love it. Happy anniversary awesome movie!

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    We should also rename this thread the "Unneeded Sarcasm Practice Thread".

devilinthedetails likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The trailers. The trailers were great.

22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Wow, these are really neat. Never seen 'em on the tellie at the time or online before. I'm often the last to know; better late than never!

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I was 11 when AOTC came out. My family went to see it at downtown at our local theater rather than the bigger theater complex on the highway, which had good and bad aspects to it. The good aspect was that since the theater was smaller, the screen felt even bigger, which was awesome for things like the battle of Geonosis and the Coruscant bounty hunter chase scene. The negative aspect of it was that the theater had some climate-control issues, and my dad had to keep running out of the theater to let management know it was either too cold or too hot in the theater like some sort of audience spokesman, so he may have ended up missing half the film[face_laugh]

I remember the Naboo scenes being really beautiful to me (just always loved the Naboo landscape). The scenes where we get to see the Coruscant nightlife and in Dexter's diner also really resonated with me as a kid from NJ. Coruscant reminded me of NYC with its "city that never sleeps" vibes, and Dexter's Diner felt like a corner diner you could walk into anywhere in NJ, so that was cool for me. Made the galaxy far, far away real and relatable. There is just a lot of great world building of Naboo and Coruscant in AOTC. We really get to see different sides of both those worlds than we did in TPM. It just feels like it is developing and expanding on those worlds in a way I really appreciate.

The Yoda wielding a lightsaber scene played really well in my theater. Everyone applauded and cheered. That sticks out in my mind.

We did have some AOTC themed toys. Including, I remember, the Padme execution arena action figure. I also had a collection of the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest books that came out between TPM and AOTC (and maybe after AOTC as well). Those were really fun reads for me as a kid.

I liked AOTC from the first time I saw it in theaters, and my opinion of it has grown over the years as I feel like I gain a greater appreciation of it, especially as a connector between TPM and ROTS. To me, it really is a perfect tone setter and lead up to ROTS. It sets the stage so well for much of what ROTS strives to do.

AOTC has a special spot in my heart. Along with all the Prequels. I am a PT girl. Love the OT too, of course, but no reason my heart can't belong to both[face_love]

Thanks to this thread for making me super nostalgic and reminding me of what I thought when I was 11!

24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    So I don't have the same nostalgia or strong memories for AOTC like I do for TPM but still some pretty fun memories. Like with TPM, I was able to go to the "good" theater for the midnight showing. This time tough I was the one who went and waited in a long line for tickets and it was a good time chatting with other Star Wars fans and the wait went by fast. I don't remember the promos or commercials as well as I did for TPM besides what I shared earlier, but the one thing I really remember is this poster:
    [​IMG]
    I loved this poster and my mom found it for me and got it so I could put it in my new college apartment. I had it for several years before an unfortunate jungle juice incident spelled certain doom.....
    Anyways, the midnight premier was fun but not quite as much fanfare as there was for Episode I. Still, it was a good time and I was so thrilled with the movie. Like others have mentioned the Yoda - Sidious fight got the biggest crowd reaction. I can't remember how many times I ended up seeing it in theaters but it was quite a few times. One very vivid memory I have is going to meet my mom at the theater so she could see it and getting in a car accident (not my fault) and totaling my car.....but still went and saw the movie with my mom at a later time.
    As for merch I got just about all of the action figures and other collectibles that were available. I didn't have a character I latched onto as much as I had for Darth Maul in TPM so I didn't have a real focus on what I got.
    And my final memory I will share is going to Walmart at midnight to pick up the movie on DVD when it was released. One of my friends/roommates went with me and accidently broke a glass vase and the loss prevention guy tried to kick me out before I could could buy the movie. This happened literally as they were brining out the DVDs and thankfully I was able to convince the guy to let me buy the move since it was an accident and I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I then went home and watched the movie and probably skipped my morning class the next day :)

25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Classic poster, presents the story so elegantly