main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Share your headcanons!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gruntz, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Building on this: I don't think that Revan and Malak claimed to be Sith Lords, or at least not initially.

Revan and Malak were insurrectionists leading a coup against the Republic and the Jedi, hence the term "Jedi Civil War." Revan identified his forces with the symbols of the Infinite Empire (even his followers in Shadow of Revan do this), but didn't have much to do with the Sith of the era. The Sith terminology was probably first applied as comparison to the war under Exar Kun. If you look at some of the artwork from the KOTOR comic and TOR for Republic troopers, they're even using Revan's Sith trooper armor painted in red and gold.

Revan and Malak did consciously align themselves with the Brotherhood of the Sith like Jorak Uln and later Uthar Wynn, but the majority of Force users in their ranks were explicitly Dark Jedi. While the title of Dark Lord may have started out as a comparison or insult against Revan, Malak was the one who fully embraced it upon Revan's death and his vision was certainly for a Sith Empire. In turn, after Malak's death and the destruction of the Star Forge, most of Revan's insurrectionists found employ by the Sith Warlords who maintained neutral relationships with the Republic up until Nihilus tried to eat Telos. Revan would still be counted among the great Dark Lords thanks to preservations of that reputation by the Revanites, hence why Bane still takes from Revan's teachings.

Also, Dooku was a huge admirer/fanboy of Revan when he was young, and then rediscovered an appreciation when he was much older.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The thing is, the Second Sith Empire was purely founded by Jedi taking the trappings of Sith - from the Third Great Schism to Freedon Nadd to Exar Kun to Revan to Traya.

I definitely consider the Second Sith Empire continued on, albeit in a limited fashion, inside the Republic-known portions of the Stygian Caldera. It replaced Mandalore with a Sith agent; one that Vitiate subsequently mind controlled.

With the Second Sith Empire, Revan simply took it over, driving Jorak Uln into the sands of Korriban and becoming the next Dark Lord. A fifty-year long Empire that bounces back more than once is more palatable for me.

cthugha and Golbolco like this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Regarding the Jedi Civil War... if you look at the Jedi Sentinnels and the Jedi Covenant during the Mandalorian Wars it is no wonder some Jedi went rogue or rebelled against an order that already is subverted by Darksiders like Haazen as well as becoming more dogmatic as a result of the Exar Kun / Quel Droma debacle earlier. Be it Zayne Carrick or Revan and Alek... it was a Jedi Civil War in so far as either side claimed the other was entrapped in Sith lore/lure, be it Revanchists claiming the Jedi Order was rotten at its core thx to the Covenant or be it the Jedi growing more dogmatic were leashing out against all not conforming to their new rigid main line, to the point of deeming them Darksiders instead of just dissidents. From there its only a short step to call them Sith.

After the last Sith War so many artifacts and other leftovers of the Sith popped up the Jedi had a constant flux of dangers and threats looming. The Sentinnels were doing overhours to reign in all Terrentateks and other errant Jedi that may be under the thrall of Sith artifacts and else unwillingly. So with a dogmatic order unable to understand Revans logic and change, they must claim he is under somethings or someones thrall. If only they knew how true it would be regarding the Sith Emperor.

Imagine if during the Clone Wars Anakin had left the main Jedi Order and joined fully Djinn Altis rival one... would a new Jedi civil war loom on the horizon? What might Palpatine have said or done then, eh? Padmé safe and legally with Anakin suddendly, maybe even meeting and hiding with some Fallanassi for a time? And if then Maul's Shadow Collective would not get interrupted by Palpatine but grow to become like Crimson Dawn a powerplayer, maybe even ally with Altis Jedi and Anakin against Palpatine... yeah a Maul - Anakin alliance against Palpatine would rock... then the main order might declare Altis Jedi and Anakin Sith for working with Maul or even for considering it, still oblivious to Palpatine being a Sith and them working for him dooming them. (that'd quickly sideline Dooku and his rival Jedi Order aspirations as well I guess, unless he is clever enough to pick a winning side like also join with Maul and Anakin).

Interesting paralell to the KOTOR era I'd say, would love it as an Infinities take.

In the end the hypocrisy is everybody calling everybody Sith or in leage with Sith... and while true for some, or most, its a glorious, messy missunderstanding as the cooperation of some actually is something good, and not the dark stereotype others try to make of it.

Revan tried to warn the Republic and Jedi, to find out if they are already subverted and secret agents embedded (which were there as we know!!!). And as Revan went to more and more extreme means, Alek fell truly dark as Revan tried to strategically only act out of balance.

Reminds me also of Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker. Jacen was strategic and even as a Sith like Revan playing both sides for a reason and goal. His apprentice Ben though went straight to Malak mode and opted to burn Wookiee cities.

cthugha and Golbolco like this.
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    "Interdictor-class cruiser" is a silly name. It's the Leviathan-class. Also, the entire Sith fleet is not made of these things, contra the dark-side victory cutscene.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    If I recall correctly, it is stated in KOTOR that the warships used by Revan and Malak's fleet are of "unknown" design, which implies the Rakata used them and manufactured them at the Star Forge. I much prefer that to the sideways Star Forge-like battle cruisers in Dawn of the Jedi.

As I try to work my way back through Sith history (detailed in the TOTJ continuity thread) I really like the idea that the corruption on Onderon and the ensuing Great Sith War was a huge wakeup call for the Jedi to the many Sith artifacts and leftovers laying around the Galaxy after the Great Hyperspace War. I've sort of assumed that after the Great Hyperspace War the Jedi Order must have become very decentralized, and then Exar Kun's war is what led to the centralization of the Order again; this coupled with a purge effort that stretched beyond not just hunting Terentateks but eliminating Jedi lineages corrupted by Sith teachings, whether knowing it or not, is what caused all the Jedi to go hypervigilant on their fellow Knights. Maybe this caused a lot more fracturing than just the Orthodox Jedi and the Revanchists, too.

Is the Third Great Schism what produced Freedon Nadd in the first place? Is this why the Jedi aren't surprised to learn of a Sith king on Onderon? And who was Darth Traya before Kreia took that title, how long was the academy on Malachor active for? As I understand, KOTOR 2 still operates on the old assumption that there was only one Great Schism ~20,000 years before the game took place.

6. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If I remember right, the "unknown design" was referring to the Sith fighters.

Carth recognizes the Leviathan immediately when you get captured by it, so I'm pretty sure the game narrative intended it as one of the former Republic ships.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    MercenaryAce and Golbolco like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Jacen was cremated on Ebaq 9 with Vergere.

8. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    For Onderon after Kotor 2,
    If Vaklu wins, and Onderon's alliance with the Mandalorians born in the heat of battle would be preserved in the years to come, where the Mandalorians would be allowed to rebuild off of Dxun provided they shield the newly liberated world from Republic reprisal. Onderon continues to assist Telos's reconstruction, but their service is charged at exorbitantly higher rates than under Talia, which accelerates Onderon's reconstruction under Vaklu's rule.

Vaklu dies several years after the Exile's disappearance, but rules long enough to eradicate the remnants of Queen Talia's powerbase. He dies by poison almost a decade after the Onderonian civil war, and many citizens and officials alike blame the Republic, despite no proof. This, combined with the succession crisis that follows, results in Vaklu's posthumous deification and Onderon being transformed into a stratocracy.

During the early days of the Sith Empire's war with the Republic, the majority of the Mandalorians still based on Dxun were called to battles across the sector, resulting in a brief window for the Republic to recognize Queen Lina as the legitimate Queen of Onderon, and brought the planet into the fold.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It was retconned to the Sith battleships of Naga Sadow’s era, I believe.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  10. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm yeah, but I think we were just trying to go off what the game says, without any of the supplementary materiel.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Agreed...though I like to imagine it was a rare prototype at the time of the Mandalorian Wars, and it was only mass produced with the starforge.

Even then, I can see there being a lot of grey Sith Hammerhead cruisers flying around off screen.

12. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    So...

• The Star Wars Galaxy is actually our galaxy, and we never see the Earth in Star Wars stories simply because our planet is in the Unknown Regions, and therefore it was never discovered by the Republic or by all the other galactic governments. The Star Wars story is told by an extra-galactic civilization that lives in the distant future, so for them the events that happen in the Milky Way are events that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. The sentence at the beginning of every Star Wars film is written from their point of view, not from the point of view of the present human species. George Lucas has repeatedly said that the Star Wars story is told by the Wills. Since it’s never been clear who the Wills are, then you can create a lot of theories, and my theory is that they’re precisely this extragalactic civilization, and they’re the ones who tell the Star Wars story. Humans living on Earth are disconnected from humans living in the rest of the Galaxy, because they are two different species. Earth humans are physically equal to humans that evolved on Coruscant, but the two species evolved independently of each other. The fact that the two species are equal is the result of a pure and simple evolutionary coincidence, a particular case of convergent evolution.
    • The TV shows that are part of the Filoniverse are not really part of the real Star Wars universe. They are actually holoshows, created within the Galaxy itself. These holoshows were created by the Galactic Alliance between the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War and the Sith-Imperial War. Most of the characters in these shows (such as Ahsoka, Rex, Fives, Ezra, Kanan, Mando, etc.) actually existed in the Star Wars universe, but their biographies have been modified. What really happened during the Clone Wars is told in the stories of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project, and what really happened during the Imperial Era is told in the plethora of Expanded Universe comics and books set during the Imperial Era, such as the Empire comics and the Rebellion comics.
    • Ahsoka existed. However she wasn't Anakin’s apprentice, but Plo Koon’s apprentice. During the Clone Wars she lived many adventures alongside her master and the ARC trooper named Rex (who served under Plo Koon in the 401st Battalion). Over time, Ahsoka and Rex became good friends. When Order 66 was executed, Rex refused to kill her because of the strong friendship between the two. After that, Ahsoka and Rex separated and decided to exile to live a happy and peaceful life, while trying to escape the persecution of the Empire. Ahsoka lived happily in exile and saw the birth of the New Republic. However, she decided not to join Luke’s New Jedi Order, because while continuing to use the Force and continuing to follow the path of the Light, after the trauma of Order 66 she decided to experience the Force on her own, without being part of any religious order. She survived the Yuuzhan Vong War and helped the Galactic Alliance to fight the invaders in the Outer Rim. When the holoshow called "The Clone Wars" was created, Ahsoka saw it and was quite outraged. In fact, the holoshow perfectly represented her personality, but it completely changed the events of her life and represented her as the apprentice of a master who wasn't her true master. She loved her master like a father, so the fact that she was represented as the apprentice of another master made her quite angry. In addition, many other veterans of the Clone Wars were also outraged by the holoshow, as it represented the events of the War in an absolutely distorted way. Another person who was outraged by the holoshow was the son of Quinlan Vos. He was deeply offended because the holoshow tarnished his father’s memory, representing him as a completely different person to what he was in reality.
    • The reborn Emperor Palpatine from the Dark Empire comics was actually not Palpatine. It was simply a defective clone. Palpatine’s clones were supposed to be empty shells without spirit, however one of the clones became conscious and inherited Palpatine’s memory. He was powerful in the Force and really believed he was Darth Sidious, but he wasn’t really Sidious. Luke himself believed this clone was Darth Sidious, but he wasn’t really Sidious. The real Palpatine died on the Second Death Star at the hands of Anakin Skywalker and was never able to transfer his spirit to the clones he created. In this way Anakin’s sacrifice is not nullified, the Chosen One Prophecy is still true, ther’s no contradictions with the films and everything is perfect. Of course, I’m referring exclusively to the reborn Palpatine from Dark Empire I, because Dark Empire II and Dark Empire III don’t exist. In my opinion they’re extremely bad and I don’t want to take them into account.
    • Darth Sidious manipulated the events that led to the death of Shmi Skywalker, because he was aware of Anakin’s attachment to his mother, and therefore knew that if he lost her he would get very close to the Dark Side. So, he manipulated the events so that the Tusken would kidnap Anakin’s mother and torture her to death.
    • The Dark Nest Trilogy, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, the Lost Tribe of the Sith books and Crucible are all fanfic novels that were written by a group of New Jedi Order padawans after the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War. Nothing that is told in these novels has really happened, it’s only the imagination of some young padawans. In fact, between the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War and the Sith-Imperial War no major conflict occurred and the Galaxy lived relatively peacefully. The post-NJO novels contain TCW references because they’re in-universe works, just like TCW itself. Same goes for TCW-related materials, such as the TCW webcomics, "The Clone Wars: Wild Space", "The Clone Wars: No Prisoners" etc.

That’s all for now. If in the future I will think of other things I will not hesitate to publish them!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Alpha-Red likes this.
  13. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    This is... really quite close to my own headcanon, though mine is simply that they are the same species and that the whole thing simply takes place in the far future when humans have spread far and wide after leaving the Earth. But yeah, the whole "it's being told by a different species in the even further species and another place, and the 'long time ago galaxy far far away' thing isn't supposed to be from our point of view?" Largely my headcanon too.

Much of the rest of what you wrote matches my headcanon too.

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    4400 BBY - Nadd falls and hunts down Naga Sadow, kills him, becomes Dark Lord of the Sith (and three Sith attack Chamma on Athiss).

4250 BBY - Third Great Schism.

4000 BBY - Old Sith Wars begin.

Gerak likes this.
  15. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    "Gantoris" is the genitive form; his actual name is Gans

Daneira and ColeFardreamer like this.
  16. The technology in the Prequel and OT era is more advanced than SWTOR era although it does not appear to be

17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    So it is a High Galactic name?

Looking at TCW we see lots of weirdo tech that is way more advanced but either not spread galaxywide in use, restricted to elite only or deliberately outlawed and not used by people prefering a simpler more retro life.

In a galaxy that theoretically and practically mastered artificial shapesifting, teleportation, nanotechnology in all its variation and more it is a statement to not conform and live the simple life rather than fall prey to technological excesses. As even medtech enables shortlived species to reach centuries beyond their natural lifespan or even immortality if you use the most extreme means of technology and biotechnology availeable, a natural death is becoming the natural choice of many who dislike the consequences of said artificial immortality.

Even the Force is dissected by scientists, replicated and transferred as we know from Legends. Is its magick merely the most advanced form of naturally occuring science or is there still a supernatural element inexplicable and breaking with any "advanced technology being indistinguisheable from magic"?

cthugha likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    There is only one actor who could ever play Marchion Ro on screen... Bruce Campbell. Change my mind!

19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Oh boy. I could go on at great length about my casting headcanons and how no one else will ever seem quite right.

Dream-Thinker and ColeFardreamer like this.
  20. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    after the latest variant cover for eye of the storm yes

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The Triumph and Monarch were ISDs. If they absolutely have to be VSDs (for Sith knows what reason), then they are captured and renamed the Corusca Fire and Selonian Fire. I have no idea why EAW says that Corusca Fire was originally called Gauntlet (according to the Wook).

The two VSDs in Thrawn's Fleet were the Adamant and Protector, and the Adamant was destroyed at the Battle of Qat Chrystac. The Protector went on to survive the Galactic Civil War with the Chimaera and Relentless.

The Immortal was part of the 'rest' of Death Squadron that worked with the main five Star Destroyers. The ship is literally everywhere, so it is hardly tied down to any one local force, and not to a Grand Admiral.

The Retaliator survived Endor and fled with Harrsk before heading to the Rim with Pellaeon after Daala hands over command.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    @Sinrebirth Would it thus be possible to figure out which ships are the best / longest running and therefore which commanding officers the most capable to have them survive anything thrown at them? Well depends if their command crew stayed the same or was replaced a couple times as well. Or if they appeared in many sources or just few and then namedropped again in much later ones.

Just wondering who aside the big names like Thrawn and Co are the most capable commanding officers by virtue and on page proof rather than only by "authors tells us they are". A ranking list would be sweet.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Most of Death Squadron has multiple appearances, including the aforementioned Immortal.

The Steadfast has a few appearances (the one belonging to Captain Vivant and Grand Admiral Makati, not the one belonging to Pryde), ditto the Agonizer of course.

The Avenger has some additional love in Dark Empire, which sells its importance.

Even the Judicator has its own plotline post-Dark Empire.

Otherwise Imperial ship wise it's mainly about the SSDs and Death Squadron ISD/VSDs. Most Star Destroyers are destroyed/captured in whatever they're introduced in, or appear once and vanish.

The Eviscerator has some fun cross-continuity importance, though.

24. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Wait a sec there's ANOTHER steadfast!?

There's like five now [face_laugh]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Eleven, according to the Wook!

clone commander bossk likes this.