main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Share your very local news

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi Anne , Aug 11, 2020.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A man drowned a few miles away yesterday. Apparently he was jumping off some low cliffs into the river, then he couldn't swim back to shore. I wonder if he hit the bottom when he jumped in; the river is still several feet lower than normal.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The diocese of the Church of Sweden handed over the new official church handbook in the south sami language to a parish in my region that is also the southernmost part of Sapmi. Since Sweden and the Church of Sweden has treated the sami just as bad as other indigenous people have been treated all over the world this was a very important event.

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The old skilift from the 1970's in the city's alpine skiing area is going to be replaced. I'm sad for two reasons - I learnt to go in the lift by myself in it in the 1980's, at a time when the gearbox was stuck so it could only go on maximum speed. You really learnt how to go in a skilift there. They are also putting the new skilift up through the ruins of the ski jumping hill that was there until the end of the 1960s, so it's going to be impossible to see any traces of the old ski jumping hill now.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Bit by bit, our childhoods disappear from our surroundings, replaced by the new...

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I feel old.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's me again with some local news. First a background. In England the enclosure process of farmland started in the Middle Ages and was mostly done in the 18th century. In Sweden a similar process took place in the 19th century, except in my region.

Breaking news - one of the municipalities in my region is finally redoing the borders for a lot of the farm and woodlands to make them more economically viable. I hope it feels nice for the involved parties to at last be dragged into the 19th century.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Local news anchorman suspended over fb post bemoans "2020 takes Alex Trebek but leaves Mitch McConnel?"

I don't know why, so many think the same thing.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A lot of right - wingers probably got all up in arms about it.

Meanwhile one of the deans at a local university still has his job after he made a now - deleted facebook post calling people who voted for Biden "Ignorant, Anti - American, and Anti - Christian."

Reminder, the former is an anchor man, the latter is in charge of Young Adults at a university.

darthhelinith likes this.
  9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    They're enclosing the commons?! How are your pigs to forage? Do they want 12 of your 14 children to move to the city, become a permanent, semi-criminal underclass, write hostile nursery rhymes, and enable the rise of capitalism?

The feckless blackguards!!

Meanwhile, on my Nextdoor app, a strange car recently pulled up to a local house. An unseen person from within the car threw a cup of ice over a fence and into someone's yard. The ice was then immediately consumed by a pair of dogs, who proceeded to fall asleep during a time that they are usually awake. The yard- and dog-owners are reportedly "concerned and confused."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Sarge, Lordban and darthhelinith like this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Update: The dean resigned.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They're gonna replace a super old highway bridge that's literally crumbling in my town. Meanwhile, they'll add pedestrian access routes underneath it that don't currently exist.

But people will still bitch because OH NO TWO MINUTE DELAY DURING RUSH HOUR.

Lordban and Juliet316 like this.
  12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Dead deer in of the street mine intersectd with ,a big buck. Took the county 4 hours to get a crew out to clear it. Cop sitting in front of the house for a couple hours.

Also the wawa i get my coffee at before work sometimes has been closed for over a week because an employee tested positive for Covid.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Lordban likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If the tracker can be believed, a DPD van will stop in front of my building between 1551 and 1651 UK time.

Update - delivery at around 1552.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Juliet316 and Lordban like this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    That's very local

Lordban likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Also pretty impressive - getting the time down to an hour slot. Amazon UK usually gives me a 3 hour slot and actual delivery time is about 90 minutes into that. However the latter have the tracking screen so you know when the van is on your street.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    We had a situation like that this past weekend with a tractor trailer turning over that was carrying wild hogs. Took about a day to reopen that particular road again.

Dagobahsystem and darthhelinith like this.
  17. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Lockdown is the ultimate killer of local news :p

Breaking lockdown does create some. On Sunday afternoon, the backdoor of a bar close to my office saw, shall we say, a significant bit of activity. And since the city's police have their HQ located across the street from that bar, a patrol decided to knock at the backdoor and check whether they were "invited" [face_whistling]

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - delivery and supermarket vans are the most exciting thing happening in my neighborhood these days (especially if you are expecting something).

Dagobahsystem and darthhelinith like this.
  19. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's been seven months since my neighbors, Chicago attorneys Leslie Ann Jones and her husband Thomas Johnson were stabbed to death in their home. No leads in the case have ever been made public, and conspiracy theories abound, from an assassination by Chicago police to a corporate killing by coal mining companies in the vein of Michael Clayton. A disgruntled client? A vengeful adversary? No one seems to have a clue, in particular not local homicide investigators.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Sometimes murder investigations can end up lasting for decades without foul play involved with the investigation itself. Sometimes they end up never going anywhere. But the tightness of the lid on the ongoing investigations makes me think they do, at least, suspect inside involvement.

Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  21. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    On a related note, an arrest has been made in what is perhaps Rockford's most famous unsolved murder. After 33 years the man suspected of killing Tammy L. Tracey has been taken into custody. I remember her disappearance and the subsequent discovery of her remains very well, and for a long time I was very wary of the park she disappeared at and the forest preserve where she was found. It would be fair to say this case haunted a lot of people in this area, and frankly I'm stunned that they caught the guy after all this time.
    https://wrex.com/2020/11/19/suspect-in-tammy-tracey-murder-arrested-after-33-years/

Juliet316 and Lordban like this.
  22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    We live in a time when technology has progressed enough to make old evidence speak in ways uninimaginable only a couple of decades ago.

Remember that bar I mentioned that got closed for disrespecting lockdown? Well, I found that one street away from there, there's a restaurant that's officially shut down but functions in a clandestine manner for police, judges and lawyers [face_whistling]

darthhelinith likes this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    RIP to a real one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Darth Smurf and darthhelinith like this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    SOURCE: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cambridgeshire-55089146
    Krispy Kreme price swap PC sacked for gross misconduct

A police officer accused of trying to buy a £9.95 box of doughnuts for seven pence by sticking on a cheaper barcode has been sacked for gross misconduct.

PC Simon Read, from Cambridgeshire Police, was found to have switched the price for the cakes at a Wisbech supermarket on 10 February.

A misconduct hearing found he had breached professional standards of honesty and integrity.

Sarge likes this.