main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Star Wars Movie - NOT FILMING April 7th, 2024 (Blame Fredrik!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by chris hayes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Wasent George Lucas who picked Jar Jar Abrams.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Just curious, what is that LFL is doing in HR? romantic relationships, Jedi with kids…?

Have not read anything about the series, besides the general premise.

3. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Don't understand me wrong, I like the initiative in principle. It is a carefully crafted setting with brighter aesthetics, benevolent leadership, and general sense of optimism. Some of the books and comics are very good, others - not so much, but the project as a whole is a success.

I just think that at times some of the authors (not all, of course), while creating some very interesting Jedi, fail to grasp the mythical nature of the Jedi Order. They get their good intentions, their combat prowess, but not always their deep understanding of the responsibility of their position. The Jedi are granted with great powers and, in return, they must sacrifice much of themselves and exercise great self-discipline. In this setting it is implied that the consequences for fooling around a bit as a teenager are not that severe as long as you grow out of it. DJO even wrote about a Jedi who left the order for a while to work in a circus and form a relation with another person. After a year or two, they came back and were readmitted easily into the order as if this was some sort of spiritual journey. And even one of the main Jedi characters, a grown-up, is a walking bag of hormones, who has had multiple relationships, including with colleagues (outside the order). At least his escapades are not widely known and are not condoned by the Order.

Maybe I am coming from a wrong perspective, but for me, if we look for historical precedents, the Order should be interpreted more along the lines of the Knights Hospitaller or Shaolin monks, and not simply as a secular (albeit well intentioned) organization comprising people with superpowers.

As I said, the approach differs from author to author. For instance Claudia Gray's, Charles Soule', and Cavan Scott's treatment of the Order is much closer to my understanding. DJO is certainly the most adventurous. He even created (in a mid-grade comic, admittedly) a teenage Jedi who is dreaming to become a pirate (and actually living the dream). Maybe he was paying homage to Hondo's cheeky offer to Ezra to join his crew.

4. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    We are going off of the rumor that the new movie is inspired by Your Name. Go look up the plot of that movie and then you’ll understand why we are speculating romance.

5. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    That’s what the original press release said, but I think later on they admitted that it was actually Spielberg, not Lucas, who told Kennedy to pick Abrams.

EDIT: Sorry for double-posting. Forgot to multi-quote.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t know and don’t particularly care. He and his style and ethic are IMO bad for growing Star Wars. He and his acolytes strip everything down to such a superficial level that it’s almost world-killer.

Pro Scoundrel and Riv_Shiel like this.
  7. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Given Star Wars’s track record with romance, it might be refreshing to see a healthy relationship in this franchise.

8. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Rumor? I read you on the Reddit sub, so I l know what you are refering to. It was something a random Reddit user posted.

If that is enough to consider it a rumor…

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Where does that rumour actually come from?
    Is that an actual thing, or is it more speculating around three corners again?

Your Name is a brilliant movie, and if I'm not mistaken JJ Abrams secured the rights for a remake, though since then little beyond changes in the crew have been heard about the project. If the thing is still a go, then you can bet that in no way, shape or from would a Star Wars movie try and resemble that story. If it is not, there could be room to allow it, but all of that sounds like trying to hard to find a connection. Something along the lines of "JJ Abrams has the rights, JJ Abrams made Star Wars movies, so if Lucasfilm is doing something with someone connected to Abrams, they will probably do that story!", which would be about as believable as Kevin Bacon being the lead on the next movie based on six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

10. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Someone had said there like ten or eleven days ago that they heard that Lindelof’s pitch was “Your Name meets Star Wars.”

@Oissan see above.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The only ones so far are Kanan and Hera. Han and Leia before the ST trilogy. Lets get some more healthy relationships.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Han and Leia had a happy marriage for most of their relationship. They were just separated because of tragedy but they clearly still loved each other and if Han hadn’t died they would have gotten back together I’m sure. I don’t think you can include them in the unhealthy relationship category.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Yes. Yes. A flaw more and more common among SW writers. Too unsure of lore they are. Even the older, more experienced ones.
    You're not. You understand George's intentions.
    They don't make for good drama.
    Yes, it is.
    Sounds like JJ.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, and Trek too. What JJ did to SW isn't nearly as egregious as his Trek, which looks like a SW video game with Trek skins painted on.

15. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I think all these people speculating about a Jedi love story should read what KK said about GL’s legacy in 2022, when asked about Rey could not be Obi-Wan’s relative.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    But would the same rules still Apply in Rey's jedi order era. Maybe the Jedi order goes a new direction. The flaws of the prequel jedi order and Luke's Jedi order was, the dogmatic view that. Maybe the Jedi order should be expanded and welcome and involve different kinds force cults.

Sarge and rocknroll41 like this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, GL did not want Luke to be married nor have kids in his ST. I believe there are parts of SW that should be kept as GL intended.

Honestly, I have yet to see anyone do SW better than him.

Oryx-I and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there good balance there. And I will say the one who might do little better is Filoni. Filoni is the one who keep GL legacy lives on in future, after KK leaves. Im interested in how this movie will go in keeping with GL legacy and Filoni's involvement.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep.
    As far as the greater themes, they haven't. Filoni's the closest. There's been too much concentration on the aesthetic and iconography. Surface level things. The deeper meanings of George's story and lore are scary to writers, I think. Instead, we get (not even) half-baked pseudo-lore, like the dyad in TROS.

From where I'm sitting, Damon Lindelof is not the answer to these issues. But, if his film does get made, then I wish him luck. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    How come LFL can figure out how to get multiple Star Wars TV shows off the ground but they can't get one movie made these days?

Mostly Handless and 2Cleva like this.
  21. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Someone else who works for variety said a year or two ago that Rey’s Jedi order would allow attachments, for what it’s worth.

22. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    May I remind you that every film has been divisive since RotJ? Even ESB has initially divisive. I imagine LFL must be exhausted from being yelled at no matter what they do in the movie space. I sympathize with them and their whole situation, in that regard.

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    None of us know.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Maybe you just answered your own question in that sentence. The resources was used to build a strong foundation for Star Wars at Disney+, which was essential for Disney in general to front its biggest and most prestigious investment in many years. We know both Obi Wan and Boba Fett was supposed to be be feature films at first, before they both were converted to streaming series. It was also because of less financial risk, after Solo became the first flop under Disney. There is also a 3rd reason, and thats Covid which has been horrible to most studios in terms of revenue for theatrical releases. The last reason is probably - they are taking time to find a new direction for Star Wars storytelling, outside of the Skywalker saga legacy.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Especially to people who abduct and torture them.
    Solo scared them to death.