main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Star Wars Movie - NOT FILMING April 7th, 2024 (Blame Fredrik!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by chris hayes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I hope whomever comes is able to create a great SW movie, that's for sure. It's just that recent experience and the names rumored to helm the new projects do not make me super confident. And the fact that LFL is rumored to be thinking about how the next generation of Jedi should be, worries me. I really cannot see a scenario in which the Story Group makes a fundamental change to the Jedi lore that actually improves what GL created. I could see them ruining it, actually.

IMO LFL should focus on making sure the story evolves, the movies do not center about the same old themes and situations, and they are able to bring to the table amazing looking worlds, ships and designs. But let's not change the core of SW.

Man, honestly, this must be how fake news start. What happened is that someone who worked on Vanity Fair and The Ringer (quite different currently from working for Variety) claimed to have heard one of the things LFL was debating internally is the non-attachment rule for the Jedi. Here's the link:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainme...-post-sequel-trilogy-leak-revamped-jedi-order

There is a difference from working (present) for Variety to having worked for those two other sites and now having a podcast. And there is also a difference from stating that Rey's Jedi Order would allow attachments with LFL debating internally what to do.

Also, for reference, this is what KK said about the matter 8 months ago:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rey-kenobi-rumors-kathleen-kennedy-response/

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's because they aren't good names. I despair of ever having a good filmmaker make Star Wars again.
    It should.
    Not likely.
    More likely.
    I do think the shows are doing a decent job with this. It remains to be seen what the films will do.
    The issue is whether people agree about what the core of Star Wars is. Many seemed to not understand what George was on about.

Darth_Bertie and EHT like this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Star wars has scared of many great filmakers after the Last Jedi backlash. Many fans dosent know what George Lucas was about. Just see The Clone Wars for what was he about. Its not subtle. The shows are doing a good job telling a story, movies will follow.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah but the problem with Solo was that there really wasn't an interest from the general movie going audience for a Han Solo origin story. Plus it was released too soon after the last Star Wars movie. Not sure what that has to do with the 12 Star Wars projects that flamed out before being made.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Disney plus soon after got made is also a reason.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I mean that now that they know that a Star Wars film can fail, they're much less willing to just put a movie out. They're terrified of another failure. So they're being ultra uptight about what direction to take next. Nothing that doesn't look like a home run is going to see the light of day.

And it's probably difficult to find filmmakers who are willing to work under that kind of tough oversight. Most auteur types won't go for that. So we get second string, mediocre "pop" filmmakers.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Good point. And yeah I suppose when they hire the director of The Pink Panther they're thinking, "this guy will do anything for a paycheck. He'll do exactly what we tell him to do".

8. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Yeah but she’s referring to pre-TRoS Jedi there. That’s the difference.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Is this the kind of case when you want this to happen and want to simplify the debate to the pont where it does not make sense to even have it? KK is not making any reference to the time period her opinion applies.

10. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    She’s specifically referring to Obi-Wan Kenobi in that interview… Might wanna look at yourself in the mirror there, pal. Or just keep projecting onto me. Whatever makes you feel better.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    The jedi and the no attachment rule moving forward should change and get updated.

12. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, because the question whas basically why Rey could not be a Kenobi. Unless now the rules apply only to Obi-Wan for some reason.

Why would I want to look in the mirror? You have posted something as a rumor that was clearly wrong. I simply corrected it, since I read it as well.

13. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    At this point I don’t know if you’re baiting or not but I’m bored right now so I’m gonna keep going anyways.

Rey can’t be Kenobi’s kid cause the Jedi BEFORE Rey’s time didn’t bump uglies. We don’t know what kinda rules the NEW Jedi order AFTER The Rise of Skywalker will have yet.

Kennedy was simply saying that having Kenobi bump uglies with somebody would contradict the lore that Lucas had in place for the movies that HE made, all of which take place BEFORE Rey’s time.

And to back up a bit, Vanity Fair is a trade magazine made up of REPORTERS just like Variety is (i mixed up the names in my head, admittedly). While they’re not primarily in the movie news business like Variety, hearing a scoop from a REPORTER still holds more legs than a scoop from some random YouTuber. That doesn’t mean what that REPORTER is saying will turn out to be true, mind you, but that’s besides the point.

I’m allowed to speculate that the NEW Jedi order may allow attachments just as much as you’re allowed to speculate that they won’t, but the fact that you act like you’re some kind of authority is just downright pathetic.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it wasn’t for the sheer brilliance of Watchmen, I would be quite concerned for this. Another thing that's giving me optimism is look at the amount of films Kennedy has KKd in the last few years. Yet this one has seemingly slipped through. Surely it must be good, at least on paper?

15. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Jeez, a couple of quotes and links and people starts insulting you. We are all here debating. The fact that I am posting the sources of some of the stuff we are making reference to is not me acting like some kind of authority, but rather me trying to back up my arguments. I encourage you to do the same, it enriches the debate.

But yep, to sum up, my point is that, since KK said the no-attachment rule was so relevant to GL's mythology, the fact that some fans want to see this changed going forward, might not be enough for it to actually change.

Hope this clears it up.

16. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    Sure, you’re backing your points up with quotes but then clearly dodging my counter arguments to those very same quotes and inserting your own opinions into those quotes rather than looking at them objectively. The fact of the matter is that we still don’t know how similar or different the future Jedi will be to Lucas’s Jedi. The fact that the powers that be were okay with having Rey and Kylo kiss at the end of TRoS seems to suggest that they’re at least open to moving away from the attachments rule as the Jedi continue to evolve.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  18. rocknroll41

May 28, 2013
    To add to the above, the Jedi history can basically be split into three phases:

ORDER ONE: The Jedi order that existed all the way up until the purge that happened in RotS (evolved from the old/high republic).

ORDER TWO: The small school that Luke had briefly in between the OT and the ST.

ORDER THREE: Whatever Rey/Finn/Jannah/whoever do in the future. (Btw, are those other ex-stormtroopers force sensitive too? TRoS was kinda murky about that.)

Kennedy’s quote was regarding Kenobi, meaning it really only applies to ORDER ONE.

That said, even if the Jedi of the future maintain the no attachments rule, who’s to say there won’t be fringe cases? It’s happened before, after all (Anakin, Kanan sorta, Rey briefly, Elzar briefly, etc.).

19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lindelof’s feature film scripts have been, for the most part, absolutely terrible. He sucked the life out of Prometheus with his awful final draft.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like how you’re trying to suck the enthusiasm out of this thread by posting about the writer sucking the life out of a script he wrote. Oh wait… no I don’t.

21. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I heard someone explain recently that Lindelof was only implementing the changes that Ridley Scott demanded.

I'm not a big fan of doing a SW version of Your Name, but I do hope that Star Wars does away with the idea that romantic love is somehow inherently toxic for empathy and spirituality. This is a concept that Lucas picked up from dysfunctional religious thought, and there's no reason for LFL to continue to spread such ideas.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That isn't George's point at all, and let's not drag this argument out again, please. It's exhausting every time.

23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    If that's not his point, then there's no reason for LFL to continue the Jedi Order no attachment bans.

I happen to think Lucas actually critiques the ban in The Clone Wars; the idea is that the ban really isn't good for the Jedi and part of their downfall.

But nevertheless, this is a subject for debate because many of us would like to see a change in future SW films, and LFL themselves have debated it internally.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So, according to your logic, the only reason to uphold George's lore about the Jedi code, is if your mischaracterization of it is accurate?

Rhetorical.
    To be clear, and for hopefully the last time, this is NOT correct. George's point, and the point of the Jedi code, is NOT that "romantic love is inherently toxic for empathy and spirituality".

The point is that the Jedi give themselves over to a life of self sacrifice and self discipline, for a higher purpose. The purpose of serving the Force, the greater good, and the preserving of peace and justice. By becoming Jedi, their lives are no longer their own. Family, of both birth or marriage, is no longer a part of their lives. They leave behind attachments and dedicate themselves to the will of the Force. The commitment is total, and for life. They cannot split their focus between the two. To do so would invite the very real danger of having to choose between loved ones and the greater good, and leave them vulnerable to the dark side. Which, for them, is a threat that requires constant vigilance.

None of this is a criticism of love or family. %99.999999999999999999999999 infinity of the rest of the galaxy live that way, and that is fine. But being a Jedi is not the same life as anything else.

I can't explain it any clearer than that.
    It's a subject for debate, as to whether people want to see a change or not. But, this isn't the thread for it. I'd suggest finding one of the threads discussing the future of the Jedi Order in Star Wars, as a whole. They're around, and more than one.

This way we avoid getting badly off topic in here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  25. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    In fact, some fans argued that, based on what happens in ROTJ, Luke should have family in the ST, like in the old EU. GL not only was always against Mara Jade marrying Luke and him having any offspring back in the day, he was going to follow the same route with his version of the ST.

Last thing we saw about Luke was BoBF Chapter 6, written and directed by Filoni. And Luke’s stance about attachments is clear.

I tend to think the fans who argue that Jedi should embrace attachments do so based on the fandom need to feel “represented” by their heroes. And most of us have a family who we love deeply.

Personally, I don’t feel the need the Jedi have to marry or have kids. First of all cause this is not how GL saw the Order. But most importantly, because the Jedi I like the most have demonstrated a lot of times they love and care for others. How else could Obi-Wan’s feelings for Anakin or Leia be described? Or Luke’s feelings for his father and his sister?

Oryx-I and Lomer2012 like this.