main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Star Wars Movie - NOT FILMING April 7th, 2024 (Blame Fredrik!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by chris hayes, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Help us, Poguey-Shane MacGowan. You’re our only hope.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  2. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Dude, get that checked out. It sounds like your brain is melting.

3. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    No it just means I'm not wearing my rose tinted glasses

ezekiel22x, 2Cleva and rocknroll41 like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My rose tinted glasses are prescription since I accidentally shattered my Edgelord Lenses.

El_Machete12, EHT, Riv_Shiel and 8 others like this.
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    There is nothing edgelord-y about rating Rogue One as a great movie, but not the best movie ever :p

2Cleva and rocknroll41 like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe not edgelord-y, but definitely wrong-y.

7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Whatever gives the most likes by offended people!

8. Lomer2012

Lomer2012 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy could bring a very interesting new perspective to SW and she has obviously excelled in her craft. So, there are many reasons to be exited.

I have 2
    concerns however. First, as she has worked almost exclusively in documentary and animation, she doesn't have much practice in directing actors. But, to be honest, this is an art even GL himself never mastered. Filoni had the same problem when he transitioned to live action. Even that in some respects his episodes have been competently filmed from the get-go, initially the acting was a bit stiff (not the individual performances per se but mostly the interactions between actors). But I believe that this problem has been overcome in his TBoBF episode. My second concern, and honestly my bigger one, is that SW depends greatly on SFX. So, let's hope that her work in Ms. Marvel has taught her enough in that department.

To illustrate the risks associated with my second point, I will remind you of the following Ridley Scott's quote from 2017 regarding the new SW films:
    “I think they [Disney] like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s ****in’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost? Millions! Millions! You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I’ll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it’s as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you’re really experienced and you know what you’re doing, it’s ****ing essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don’t suddenly go to $160.”

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Glitterstimm and 2Cleva like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I have more than that.

And Ridley is absolutely right. Experience is VERY important. Some of us were just pointing out that Sharmeen DOES have a lot of education and experience in many aspects of filmmaking. And the experience she's lacking is going to be heavily supported by the veterans at LFL.

None of that means that her film will definitely be good. Just that she deserves a bit more of the benefit of the doubt than some are giving her in here.

10. Lomer2012

Dec 23, 2016
    I am sure that in many aspect her film (if ever completed) will be excellent. Let's hope that others will help with the SFX. No SW film has ever failed in this area, so there are reasons for optimism. But, to be honest, if I were in KK's shoes and I had to deliver a film after 6-year hiatus and amid unabating SW civil wars, I would have gone for a nominally safer option, perhaps someone like Kathryn Bigelow. Although, considering the vile abuse SW directors have suffered in the past and also the Lucasfilm's own production problems, it is possible that this job is not that attractive anymore.

2Cleva and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is definitely true for some.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait, "vile abuse"?!

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    There have been death threats.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. Lomer2012

Dec 23, 2016
    Yes, I am obviously not talking about criticism on this site (which also can be very (and even unjustly) harsh, but still within the boundaries of normality). However, there are some very sick individuals on social media and many of them claim to be SW fans. @I Are The Internets, surely you have heard of the abuse suffered by Ahmed Best and Kelly Marie Tran, but it also happened to directors. I know many here don't like RJ, but I assume most would agree that that some of the attacks on him on Twitter were abominable.

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    what?

Pro Scoundrel was giving an example of the 'vile abuse' being directed at the creators

16. Lomer2012

Dec 23, 2016
    I just contributed with examples to his answer to @I Are The Internets. Sorry if this created confusion. I fully agree with @Pro Scoundrel on this point.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    ok I see, that was my bad

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. Sadly, many fans treated beakers and other small glass cylinders terribly in response to some of LFL's choices. Oh, wait. Wrong usage of vial. Sorry. Carry on.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He could still be credited as long as it isn’t a complete rewrite.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You were right from the start. :)
    As usual, he didn't know how to finish what he started.

2Cleva and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a lot more confidence in Knight than Lindelof. Plus, I just want Star Wars to move far, far away from JJ Land.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well Watchman was great all the way through and the Leftovers actually got way better as it went along and the finale was amazing.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    True. His recent TV projects have been much better. I'd be more interested if he was doing a show. But, I've never liked any of his film work, except for Cowboys & Aliens. And that was just dumb fun, not really quality.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.