main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** Shifts for the Line - a call for volunteers ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    As we?ve mentioned, the line itself is freewheeling. Come when you can. Leave when you want.

However...
    One person sitting all alone on the sidewalk is not a lineup. Nor can two, or even three people rightly be called a lineup. Any less than four people and we don?t have a line anymore ? we have loitering.

Now, with about thirty to fifty of us, keeping a critical mass of four people shouldn?t be too difficult a task. But to be sure that we will have enough people at all times, we?re asking for volunteers to make definite commitments to definite times. Most especially needed are the morning shifts and the graveyard shifts.

The shifts are as follows:

Saturday, May 11th
    2am - 8am
    8am ? 2pm

Sunday, May 12th
    2am - 8am
    8am ? 2pm

Monday, May 13th
    2am ? 8am
    8am ? 2pm
    2pm ? 8pm

Tuesday, May 14th
    2am ? 8am
    8am ? 2pm
    2pm ? 8pm

Wednesday, May 15th
    2am ? 8am
    8am ? 2pm
    2pm ? 8pm

If you are interested in volunteering for one or more shifts, please post here, or send me an email at tragiclad@thetorontoline.com

2. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    *Kat raises her hand*

Question, Mr. TragicLad Sir...how about smaller shifts? Meaning, what if I can join you from say, 8am to 12noon, then return after work from 8pm to 10pm? Or something like that...this is all just hypothetical of course, I'm just trying to cover bases...

3. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

i am going to beg time off work today for the lineup and given how things are going at work this shouldn't be too hard as a lot of people are begging for extra shifts. I shall post as soon as i know but given the way i am, it think afternoon shifts are in the cards for me, that is unless i can find a tim hortons nearby lol

4. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    I can be available pretty much anytime (already shceduled time off from work) so I guess I can commit to graveyards an morning shifts.

5. Mori_Fett

Mori_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    I am DEFINITELY in on the graveyard shifts. ;) I'll let you know what days.

6. Mori_Fett

Jul 27, 2001
    I mean among other shifts. I can do day and afternoon shifts. :)

7. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    The whole idea, especially for the graveyard and early morning, is to ensure there are some people commiteed to be there. Doesn't have to be every person that plans to line, like Tragic mentioned, the majority can be freewheeing. We just want to guarantee that on those dead shifts, there are people who can be trusted to be there (preferable 4 - so one or two can go get food, flush the system, take a walk.)

I'd be thrilled if like last time, we had 10-15 there overnight a few times - those were a blast! Never mind having a news crew showing up at 4 in the morning - everyone pumped and jazzed on coffee!

I've got the entire week off, but haven't committed to any set time. I basically plan to be there the better part of the time. I'll know better after Celebration.

8. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well considering my set shifts with Bell, I'd have to stick to evening and weekend appearances...

9. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not going to start work until after the line, so I'll be spending most of my time in line.

If it seems a night shift is going to be short people, I can arrange to be there overnight. I may be overnight regardless.

Any idea how much an air mattress would cost? Seems like something that could be useful for those sleeping, and easily stood on it's side on the back-corner wall, to be kept out of the way when not in use.

I've got some chairs that I can bring to the line and leave for the duration. I brought the same ones last time, and all were returned and none were broken.

10. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    I have no clue when I'll be dropping by or not because I'm hunting for a job. I got a creative director in the throat with one of my arrows and he died instantly.

Maybe I should use a non-lethal weapon next time...

But I will be popping by this time!

11. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well I have two old lawn chairs I can donate if you'd like.

12. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    well i know for sure this is on half of short week and half on my long week, so what boils down to I am pretty sure i can make it saturday & sunday night for graveyard, wednesday for graveyard and maybe thursday some time in the evening the rest of the time sorry cant help. this is all much up in the air right now, becuase I might have to take extra shifts here and there due to we are down 2 ppl at work and the strike for licenses rages on and intercon cant hire ppl without licenses.... but we will see

13. Mori_Fett

Jul 27, 2001
    They should, we just had somebody working at Initial that didn't have their licence yet.

Yes...blackmail material. :D

14. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I can commit to the first graveyard shift and the Saturday morning. I'm going to try for the Sunday morning and afternoon shifts as well, but because of the frequency of public transit where I am I'll likely be an hour or so late.

After that point, work keeps me from making it in save for briefly in the evenings.

15. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    I'll be there for the entire first weekend. On weekdays, it'll be from 6pm to however late I can stay and still get up for work. Depends on my endurance. :)

~L

16. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll be down around 3:30 most days and stay til maybe 10 or so I'm not sure whether i have to work on the weekend yet so i don't know when i'll be down, but i'm taking off the 15th and 16th, so i'll be staying from the afternoon of the 14th til the movie.

Greg

17. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    Alright, here's my plan,

Friday-Sunday I'm free completely, morning night, whatever.
    Monday and Tuesday I'd be available before work, from say 10 or 11 till 3am.
    Tuesday night/entire wednesday and going on thursday, I've managed to get off, so I'm there for sure anytime.

18. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I can definetely be there for the 8am-2pm Sunday shift, and most probably be there a bit before and after. Other than that I can only fit in time here and there around my work schedule.

19. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Well it looks like i got the time off work..go me! i shall try to be there in afternoons and evenings mostly but i will make a valliant attempt for mornings, provided i locate a tim hortons, is there one nearby? i volunteer for coffee runs if anyone is interested :) Also i have the star wars cookbook and intend to make wookie cookies for all interested...how many should i make? can i post the recipe so lots of people can bake and thus supply star wars goodies to everyone? there are lots of yummy things in this cookbook :)

20. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    ok as it turns out i have to work on sunday morning, it screws my plans for night shifts on sat, and sunday, so it looks like I will have to free floating for those days now,

21. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002
    Hey all,

I've got a lot of time as I don't start work until after the premiere, and I live about a 10 min. drive from the location, from which I will always be bringing my car.

Please let me know what help I can be of in terms of providing emergency blankets if the temperature drops, providing food, maybe something in the way of entertainment, etc, etc, that other people coming from farther away might not be to accomodate.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a problem sharing. :)

As long as no one steals anything.... :mad:

22. da-Uncle

da-Uncle Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    I'm available during the weekdays anytime before 4pm. I have obligations after that but I'm more than willing to help out.

23. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Ooooh Wookie Cookies!

you go girl!!

24. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Saturday, May 11th
    2am - 8am Tragic Lad, Cristalia, Adam-the-Indifferent, Duker_Duck, Mori_Fett, Phalstar
    8am ? 2pm Nyla, Tragic Lad, Cristalia, Adam-the-Indifferent, Duker_Duck, Phalstar

Sunday, May 12th
    2am - 8am
    Tragic Lad, Cristalia, Duker_Duck, Mori_Fett, Phalstar
    8am ? 2pm Tragic Lad, Cristalia,

Monday, May 13th
    2am ? 8am
    Duker_Duck, Mori_Fett
    8am ? 2pm da_Uncle, Duker_Duck,
    2pm ? 8pm Elewyn, Greg (3:30-10), Adam-the-Indifferent

Tuesday, May 14th
    2am ? 8am
    Duker_Duck, Mori_Fett
    8am ? 2pm da_Uncle, Mori_Fett

Wednesday, May 15th
    2am ? 8am
    Greg, Duker_Duck, Mori_Fett
    8am ? 2pm Greg, Mori_Fett, Adam-the-Indifferent

Tentative:
    Mori_Fett may also be there for mornings/afternoon
    Kenobi - There most of the time.
    DarthDigital - Evenings, Weekends
    Cristalia - Weekdays after 6pm - undetermined
    Phalstar - Free Friday-Sunday, whole time - can I put you down for the entire weekend shift?
    - Mon - Tues from 10 or 11 - 3am
    - Tuesday night -showing anytime.

Italics means confirmed after the posting of this topic. Which will only last for 90minutes, but there you go.

I tried recapping everyone's shifts, but a lot of it was not set dates and times. So, please, confirm that exact shifts (time and date) that you will be able to do. Please only commit to times and dates that you know you will be able to make. Keep in mind, you can stay longer than your shift if you'd like. For those unable to commit to these times, you're free to come when you can.

We need more volunteers for all shifts but more specifically:

Monday, May 13th 2am-8am, 8am-2pm
    Wednesday, May 13th 2am-8am, 8am-2pm
    Tuesday, May 13th 2am-8am, 8am-2pm

Please post to confirm your shift time/dates and to volunteer for other shifts.

Also, I'd like to thank The_Last_Warrior for his generous offers. Thanks!

Thanks again to all those who have volunteered! And please, more volunteers are always welcome :)

25. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    Hey Adam,

I can pretty much stay for Friday night through till sunday morning. Sunday is Mother's day, so I think I'll stay with my mommy on Sunday :) On Monday I'm good for the afternoon/evening and on Tuesday afternoon going till showtime, I'll be there. Hope that answers your question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.