main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Shores Yet Untrod" (AU; Kyp, OCs, completed 9/15/2021)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Onderon1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great for Karina to be home briefly and it looks like they can help Master Stast.

2. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

Cowgirl:
    Exactly! Poor Stast was in the wrong place at the wrong time - and more about that is about to be revealed ...

WarmNyota: Indeed; Tarvis' particular experience is going to prove very helpful, and Karina will have a better homecoming than it seems at first.

----------------------
    28.3 ABY: Vohai,
    Outer Rim:
    ---------------------

The speeder ride was fast, but steady - like Socorro, the Vohai praxeum was one of the hidden training facilities, although this one had been established in plain sight. There wasn't anything to be gained by drawing attention from local authorities to a speeding vehicle with sentients of different races.

According to the data Luke provided me, Stast Whaphoon, the Squib who founded the Vohai praxeum, did so by buying out a skyscraper that Arkanian Micro had to when their expansion plans crumbled. Stast's cover is that of a junk recycler employing young people to work cheaply at their first jobs - which, for a Squib, makes perfect sense, Kyp considered.

What didn't follow was how a Jedi Sentinel could catch mange, but Kyp supposed stranger things had happened.

He set down his datapad and listened as Shava Hosidur, their Theelin driver and a fellow student of Stast's with Karina, said, "It started about a week ago. We got some power cores in from Rimward, and they didn't seem like anything unusual - Master Stast makes sure to only accept parts he thinks are safe for us to recycle. But something about those cores set him to itching ... and then he started losing fur."

Karina shuddered, and Ejen looked ill, asking, "Is he ... dying?"

"We hope not. Rior-Cal-Nari, our Cerean healer, has tried everything she can. But Master Stast's lost so much fur ... and he's got a nasty cough. We've scanned the power cores for every biological agent we can think of - they're not leaking energy, either," Shava said while she pulled the speeder into an underground parking garage.

The Jedi and Buan disembarked, and the Mrlssi doctor nodded as Shava led them to an elevator. "As I said when we landed, Miss Hosidur, I've treated mange before. Squibs and Wookiees are different species, obviously, but the principle is the same. Can you tell me anything else you recall about the power cores or Master Whaphoon's condition?" the avian said.

Shava looked more relieved, and said, "The cores came from somewhere in the Artorias system - they were brought a long way by some Jawas fleeing the Yuuzhan Vong. One other strange thing - as he's gotten worse, Master Stast's Force presence has diminished."

Kyp felt a chill at the words, and exchanged a knowing look with Buan, who muttered, "Could be some kind of Vonglife disease that made its' way this far ... let's hope I'm wrong."

Shava looked horrified again, until Karina gently squeezed her shoulder and said, "Dr. Buan managed to come up with an anti-allergen treatment for our pilot when we found out he's allergic to my fur. He'll do his best."

They disembarked from the elevator, finding a group of about 20 teens and young adults of various species waiting for them on the first floor of the skyscraper. All were polite, but clearly worried, even as Karina's presence bolstered them.

A Cerean woman with brown hair in a braid greeted them - Rior-Cal-Nari, Kyp guessed - and Shava made introductions before leading the visitors to a medical wing.

"It's probably best if only a few of us visit Master Stast - Karina, Dr. Buan and Master Durron, if you'll come with me?" Rior-Cal-Nari asked.

Ejen found a bench and took the holocron his older brother Jamor had given him out of his jacket pocket. "I'll wait here, review some of my intercept lessons," the teen said, trying not to sound worried. Kyp nodded in approval before following the others into the medlab.

He cringed inwardly at the sight of a small, snouted figure laying in a medbed, a sheet up to his waist, with IVs and other life-support feeds, and patches of greying-pink skin visible through blue fur.

The Squib cracked open an eye, trying to smile as the tearful Karina said, "Master Stast - it's me. I brought Master Kyp Durron to see you. We have a doctor, too - he may be able to help you."

"Karina ... ? Good to - see you," Stast Whaphoon managed, his voice a dry rasp as he gave Kyp a more serious look. "Master Durron. Sorry to - meet you like this. Usually I - manage to get the bar open for guests, break out - the Whyren's."

Kyp knew right then that he liked Stast Whaphoon, and smiled as he replied, "I'll buy the first round once we've cured you. This is Dr. Tarvis Buan. He's helped Wookiees with mange - he thinks he can help you."

Stast raised an eyebrow, while Rior-Cal-Nari let Buan review the Squib's medical chart. "It's as if the infection won't respond to Force healing or standard medicines. Even bacta only slowed the spread of the pathogen, and now it's attacking Master Stast's internal organs," the Cerean said, keeping her voice even.

Buan nodded before asking the Squib, "May I take a blood sample? I have some ideas, but they require a fresh look at your bloodwork."

"Go - for it, Doc," Stast said. Buan took the sample, and hurried off to the lab with Rior-Cal-Nari in tow.

Kyp didn't want to leave Karina alone - the Cathar had seemed almost ready to collapse when she'd seen Stast's state - but she tried to smile as she said, "I'll be all right, Master. Could I have some time alone with Master Stast?"

"Karina - don't stay - long. Glad to see you, but - risky. I don't want to - infect you," Stast insisted, but Karina hushed him.

"I had to see you again, Master - to let you know what I've seen, the places I've visited," the younger Jedi said, and Kyp slipped back into the hall, finding Ejen talking with some of Stast's students.

One of them, a Rodian boy with bluish scales, asked, "Can - can you help Master Stast?"

"He's given us a home, a place that's safe from the Vong," a human girl with blonde hair added, and Kyp tried to give them a confident smile.

"Dr. Buan's really good with medicine. He'll do his best," Ejen said with the confidence of the young. Kyp nodded, watching as Karina left Stast's room and slipped around a corner.

He found the Cathar wiping her eyes, and Karina managed, "He's - he's usually so vibrant, like a swarm of flitgnats, but uplifting, not annoying. To see Master Stast like this ..."

She hugged Kyp and cried silently on his shoulder, as he just held her; Kyp wasn't sure what to say.

After a few moments, Karina composed herself and tried to smile, as Kyp said, "We have to stay positive. I know that doesn't seem easy, but he's clearly a fighter."

Karina laughed, walking with Kyp. "You have no idea, Master. Come on - let me introduce you to the other students, and we'll share stories of Master Stast's teaching style," she said.

---------------

" ... And so, after about 5 minutes of Master Stast's sales pitch, the Arkanian turns to me and says, 'I'll buy at the higher price, just please stop him from talking?'" Shava finished.

The gathered Jedi broke into laughter, and Kyp wiped his eyes as he grinned. The students had described Stast as a whirlwind of enthusiasm, both in Jedi training and in his sales of recycled machinery, and their stories bore that out.

It's been a couple of hours - I wonder ... Kyp thought, trying to find Buan in the Force. Even though the Mrlssi wasn't Force-sensitive, he had a unique, intense signature when working.

The medlab door burst open, and Rior-Cal-Nari walked out, relief pouring from her as she said, "Dr. Buan has made a breakthrough."

Karina and the other students sat up, while a bedraggled but positive-feeling Buan appeared, wearing a lab coat and waving for Kyp to follow him. Karina was close behind, and the three of them found seats in Rior-Cal-Nari's office.

"I was right. The pathogen is Yuuzhan Vong in origin - but we can fight it with standard parasiticidal medication. Took me longer than I'd thought to isolate the cursed thing," the Mrlssi said, accepting a glass of water from the Cerean healer.

"It's a parasite? Is it infectious?" Kyp asked, concerned - Karina had spent the most time of any of them with Stast, but any of them could be at risk.

Buan shook his head, activating his datapad to show an ugly, multi-tentacled thing in a holoimage. "It's a chimera - Vong DNA in a Vorticenna multilarium parasite. The hybridized genetics limit its' vectors and range of hosts. Stast only contracted it because Vorticenna is a rodent-specific parasite. He must've had a cut or abrasion on his hands when he was sorting the power cores," the Mrlssi explained.

Kyp didn't feel much better - he was glad Stast would recover, but the thought of Yuuzhan Vong shapers splicing their genes into diseases from his galaxy was troubling.

"You can see Master Stast for a few minutes," Rior-Cal-Nari told Karina, and the Cathar headed for the Squib's room in a flash.

Once she was gone, Buan sipped his water and continued, "Durron - Kyp - this thing wasn't an accident. The very existence of this parasite required a high degree of medical knowledge of both our galaxy's species and the Vong's."

"So it had to be a Master Shaper's work," Kyp asked without asking, and Buan nodded.

"One other thing. On a lark, I compared the Vong genome fragment in the parasite to the traces your - er, ex-apprentice left on Kashyyyk. They're a match. Whoever's holding Miko Reglia captive is connected to the Master Shaper who thought it'd be amusing to create a more dangerous form of mange," Buan said, ice in his voice.

Kyp nodded, acknowledging his own anger and controlling it ... as an idea came to him. "You're saying we could use this genetic signature to track Miko," he said.

"In theory. You'd have to be planet-side, and the range would be limited - but yeah," Buan said with a small smile.

Kyp just nodded again - he didn't dare hope.

Yet, anyway.

----------------------

to be continued ...

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I am relieved that Master Stast wil recover. He seems very fun and likeable.

Yikes, that is one ominous disease that's being unleashed. [face_worried]

I am impressed by your diversity and detail of worlds and cultures. =D=

Onderon1 likes this.
  4. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks! :) I can only take so much credit - Legends (and to a necessarily lesser degree, NeuEU) have a wealth of worlds and cultures within them, and taking the (IMHO) best of the latter and adding it to the former can, with proper blending, help make for an interesting story.

(I like Tatooine, Hoth, Yavin, etc. too, but non-movie locations can help make for a more interesting experience.)

Borja Kwaad's works are many, and she's dangerously dedicated ... but she's not as wise as she thinks, and that will spell trouble down the road (there's still a lot of road ahead of Kyp and Co. ... :cool:

Which I'd better get back to sharing, :D

Some more nods here to the Invasion mini-series involving Finn and Kaye Galfridian of Antorias, as well as a subtle bombshell on Dalonera's part ...

----------------------------
    28.3 ABY:
    Vohai, Outer Rim:

Kyp sat watching Shava Hosidur lead a group of junior apprentices in cloaking their Force presences - a fairly basic Jedi Sentinel technique - with the now healthier-looking Stast Whaphoon sitting beside him.

The Squib's overall health had come a long way in just a day or so, thanks to Buan's diagnosis and the Cerean healer Rior-Cal-Nari's treatment.

While Stast's fur was still patchy in spots, he was able to walk as long as he leaned on his astromech, R2-SK (nicknamed Sneaky, Karina had said, due to the droid's odd habit of rolling up on inattentive apprentices and chirping in amusement when he surprised them).

"We're taking Master Skywalker's request for a revived generation of Jedi Sentinels seriously, but not without some fun at times, too. A lot of these kids are refugees, sent along the Great River when they couldn't get to Eclipse, so helping them deal with their losses is as important as teaching them tracking and lightsaber skills. Rior is a talented minder, and Shava's got a knack for working with the youngest ones," Stast said, smiling.

Kyp nodded, glancing at where Karina was practicing lightsaber drill with a group of older teens; the Cathar seemed to be in her element, and there was a fierce happiness behind her Jedi resolve.

Stast nodded, gesturing for Kyp to follow him - it was slow going, given the Squib's still-recovering body, but Kyp didn't rush his host. "When she first arrived from Yavin, Karina was confused and lonely. Her father, Taslar, had taken off for Ilum, of all places, with hardly a farewell - good sentient, loyal Jedi, but a bit too dedicated," Stast said, lowering his voice.

"Ah. And Karina, being young and already without her mother, didn't take it well," Kyp asked without asking.

Stast's dry chuckle almost turned into a cough, but he managed to halt it as Sneaky helped him into the Master's office. "I have to admit, there were a few early days where I wondered the wisdom in assigning a feline apprentice to a rodent Master. But she has a good heart - just needed some time to vent and refocus her hurt," he quipped, opening his desk.

Kyp raised an eyebrow as the Squib pulled out a bottle of Whyren's Reserve and two glasses. "Not normally one to lecture, but you sure you're cleared for that with your medicine?" he asked, watching Stast pour for them both.

"Rior-Cal-Nari gave me the go-ahead, as long as I don't go overboard. You made it here despite the crazy shavit you told me about, and I'm still breathing despite warped Vong biotech. To the Force," Stast toasted.

Kyp grinned, echoing the toast and downing the drink in one go - he coughed, giving Stast an embarrassed grin. "Been mostly water and juice aboard the Night Shrike. Even our visit to Socorro had weaker drinks than Whyren's," he admitted.

Stast grinned, sighing as he leaned back in his chair and checked his comsuite. "It's my one luxury. I used to be the flamboyant, dashing Squib Jedi spy, running plots while carrying out missions for Master Hamner. Some days, I miss that life - but I like to think helping these kids prepare to stay alive in a changing galaxy is a good step forward," he said.

"And the recycling business is a cover few people would question for a Squib," Kyp pointed out, as Stast chuckled again.

"Doesn't hurt that the mechanical and slicing training the students get fits right in with their Sentinel profiles. We're going to need well-rounded investigators in the new political realm of the Galactic Alliance, especially if we can root out this 'First Order' before it gains traction," Stast said, becoming grim.

He winked and added, "Of course, the credits from the recycling business don't hurt when it comes to the bottom line for running the praxeum, either."

In the end, Kyp and his crew were able to spend a whole standard week at the Vohai Praxeum, and he made sure that everyone got a chance to take time off of the Night Shrike and visit the hidden Jedi training facility.

(The younger students at the praxeum were delighted to meet Korlo, who soaked up the attention and questions from the kids - although Ewoks were all over the galaxy by now, they were still a perennial joy to younglings.)

Over the week, Stast regained much of his strength, and the praxeum staff warmly welcomed all of the Night Shrike's crew (even HK-47 ... although Kyp dryly noted the ancient assassin droid was kept at arm's length, a sentiment he didn't hold against their hosts.)

The only crew member who didn't visit the praxeum was Dalonera, who busied herself with updating the freighter's supplies and systems.

"I like the idea of a Squib Jedi, Kyp, but I'm hardly Jedi Sentinel material," the Force-sensitive Mandalorian said when asked about her choice. "I'm more atin than jetiise in any case, Milthiad family lightsaber or not. And I'm better at resupply than socializing anyway."

'Hard contact,' 'Nera described herself. And yet, she's still tagging along on our plodding praxeum quest, instead of hunting dark-siders or unreconstructed Vong, Kyp pondered one day as he watched Stast teaching students the Force power cloak - basically, invisibility.

"Some describe cloak as bending light, but that doesn't explain how the user can still see while cloaked. I suspect it may rely on the user's Force sense to act as a means of 'sight.' In any case, cloak isn't the same as the Sentinel technique Force Haze, which is more like a mind trick and requires advanced training in the Sentinel arts. Cloak is relatively simple, and any Force-user can learn it - but it won't hide you from another Force-sensitive, like the Sentinel 'clear mind' technique will," the Squib explained from his lectern.

Kyp stood in a corner of the room, watching the roughly dozen or so adolescents who were listening to Stast. Ejen was among them; he'd found a welcome at the praxeum, and the boy seemed more relaxed after his recent discovery of his family's Zeison Sha connections.

It was Ejen who held up a hand - after glancing at Kyp, who nodded, he wanted his Padawan to ask questions and learn from their stops along the way - and asked, "Master Stast, could I give it a try?"

"Sure, Ejen. Step up here, and we'll see how you do," Stast called. Ejen rose from his desk, and Kyp noted his apprentice was quite well-armed these days.

Blaster, lightsaber and discblade ... well, I'm hardly one to talk about being prepared for just about anything, Kyp mused as he watched.

Ejen took a deep breath, clearing his mind - a good sign, that, it meant the basics of his training were becoming ingrained - and nodded as Stast said, "Try to imagine the Force bending the light around you. At the same time, keep sensing us in the Force. Don't worry if you don't get it the first time."

"I'll do my best, Master," Ejen promised, determination clear in his demeanor.

It was both encouraging and a bit worrying, Kyp thought - the kid was taking the lessons seriously, but also treated the Jedi way as a lifeline, a distraction from his other issues.

And who might he be taking after in that department, huh, Kyp? part of Kyp's mind snarked - he shushed it and refocused.

Ejen half-closed his eyes in concentration, reaching out to the Force - and the other students gasped as the human boy vanished from physical sight.

Stast's eyebrows rose, and Kyp repressed a grin; his Padawan was a fast learner, but he could already tell this could be a temptation.

An invisible teenage boy - oh, the trouble that combination could lead to, he thought, making a note to chat with Ejen back at the Shrike.

His apprentice reappeared, smiling, but grew serious as Stast said, "Impressive - but remember, with the Force comes responsibility. Cloak is meant to help Jedi infiltrate dangerous sites or track criminals, not for pranks or games."

"Or hurting others ... I'll remember that, Master. Thanks for the lesson," Ejen said, bowing before he walked over to Kyp and glanced toward the door.

It didn't take Force-sense to tell the kid wanted to chat, and Kyp joined Ejen in the hall. "You OK? I'm glad you picked that up that fast," Kyp praised - he wanted to maintain a balanced teaching method with his student.

"Thanks - I just ... you know my uncle's gang is called the 'Ghosts,' right? 'Cause they like to use stealth gear? Cloak ... when I was invisible, it cut a little close to home," Ejen admitted, blushing at his admission.

Ouch, Kyp thought, his expression softening a bit.

"Hey - you're thinking things through, and you're on the right path. You could've treated this like a game, but you didn't. I trust you - just know you can come to me if you're worried about your path," Kyp said, smiling a little.

Ejen looked and felt relieved, nodding as they walked. "Thanks, Master Kyp. I just - I don't want to end up like my uncle Orfax. He still scares Mali'yana, and nobody should have to be looking over their shoulders their whole lives, y'know?" he said.

From the mouths of younglings ... Kyp mused, wondering how the rest of his crew were doing.

-------------------
    Night Shrike:
    Crew Quarters:
    --------------------

Dalonera had just about finished the checklist for resupplying and refreshing the Shrike - the freighter had been pushing its rated duration for maintenance and systems resupply hard, given the unusually high number of organic crew aboard the YT-1300.

Even retrofitted for the passenger model, this old girl's not used to a maxed-out crew and passengers, plus two droids, the Mandalorian mused as she checked the rations - and raised an eyebrow at a ripple in the Force.

Durron owes me 10 credits - it's about time Moonskimmer and our Bastila wanna-be got together, she thought, grinning.

Dalonera hid her smile as the source of the flicker sensed her, and a hatch to one of the staterooms opened. A blushing Aliste' Bynar poked her head out, but Dalonera just said, "Steady on - not my place to judge."

"I ... thank you, Dalonera," the battle meditation specialist said, slipping down the hall with her clothes wrapped around her, mortified.

Dalonera would've laughed, but she'd made inroads with the formerly suspicious Jedi girl, and didn't want to wreck their dynamic.

Instead, when a shirtless Nat Moonskimmer appeared at the stateroom hatch, the Mandalorian locked eyes with him and said, "Oya - pilot boy. Treat her right, ner vod."

Nat grew somber, replying, "The last thing I want is to hurt her, Dalonera."

"Good to hear, good to say. But we all have duties, and people to answer to - even me, the seemingly ronin Mando. Make sure you can balance all that before you make promises," Dalonera advised as she turned to go.

She glanced at a holo of a young infant that appeared randomly in her wrist-gauntlet's com display screen saver, and smiled cryptically.

Kit ... I hope you're doing well with your uncle Garan back on Vor'paya, ad'ike, she thought to her daughter.

Buir's gotta keep your crazy daddy alive for a few more stops ... at least until I decide if I can trust him with knowing about you ...

---------------------
    Vohai Praxeum:
    ---------------------

Mali'yana liked the Jedi - not only were Master Durron and the others aboard the Night Shrike friendly, their hosts at the praxia had mostly been kind (Socorro had just been too close to smugglers for Mali's preference).

But without the Force, I don't quite fit in when they talk about Force techniques, and I can only update Qewpee and HK so often. So I don't mind helping Tarvis, the Rutian Twi'lek thought as she watched Buan work on his latest experiment.

After helping cure Master Whaphoon of his mange infection, the Mrlssi xenobiologist had found Vohai's tech base a big help to his work to reverse Vongforming. He'd spent most of the last week on some big potential breakthrough, and he'd invited the other crew members to see if it worked.

"Using the Vong-hybridized mange sample I got from Master Whaphoon and the antibacterial drugs I used to treat it, I wanted to see if a broad-spectrum antibiotic might also affect less specific Vonglife - in this case, yorik coral," Buan said as he poured a rather bright blue liquid on a chunk of coral in a dish.
    The others watched, and Karina and Ejen's eyes widened, as the liquid eroded the coral, creating an unappealing mess in the dish.

Tarvis, however, clacked his beak and practically poured positivity as he cheered, "It worked! It's a little crude - it'll need a refined delivery system to help purge surge-coral from former slaves of the Vong - but it's a first step!"

"Great work, Doc. But won't you have to set up a full testing facility, take months to get this approved?" Master Durron asked.

Buan shook his head as he typed furiously on a datapad. "I'm transmitting all this back to RePlanetHab and the Galactic Alliance Scientific Exchange for others to continue working on it. I can't abandon you all now, not when there might be unexplored substances and practices here in the galactic south that haven't been interrupted or maligned by the Vong advance. You're reconnecting the galaxy, and giving me a free ride to new medical discoveries," the medic said.

Master Durron chuckled and shrugged, before asking Qewpee, "Can you show the others our next destination?"

"Be-teeep dweep-pweet!' Qewpee chirped, activating her holoprojector and showing the others a planet with deep sinkholes and a brown-green surface.

"Utapau? Why'd one of your fellow Jedi go there, Master Durron?" Nat asked, curious.

The Jedi Master grew serious as he replied, "Master Caro Benvier, a Bith, went to Utapau to investigate its Old Republic connection to the Jedi ... and a storehouse of Emperor Palpatine's that Master Skywalker hadn't had a chance to investigate before the Vong War."

Mali'yana and the others exchanged nervous looks, and Dalonera half-smiled. "So we might be headed into a dar'jeti den?" she quipped.

"Hopefully not. The Pau'an Jedi Master Lar Le'Ung acquitted himself nobly during the Vong War - and he died saving others," Master Durron said, watching the holo of Utapau rotate.

"If Master Lar was any indication of his people's Force potential, the last thing the galaxy needs is for Pau'ans to receive dark-side training."

-------------------------

to be continued ...

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super talk between Kyp and Stast who is open and affable.

Ejen seems to have a solid head on his shoulders. He takes what he's learning seriously and isn't denying his past or his family is something he needs to come to terms with.

6. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: I'm glad Kyp and Stast's connection comes across well; not every other senior member of the Order views Kyp as a chaotic disaster waiting to happen. :p

Ejen's newfound stability and responsibility will prove important in coming chapters; the ride is about to hit the first of a series of worsening problems, although their true scope won't be visible for some time ... [face_thinking]

28.3 ABY:
    En Route to Utapau,
    Outer Rim:
    ---------------------------
    The trip to Utapau wasn't going to be simple, of course - Kyp had both known that when he'd read the list of praxia sites, and just assumed it after the relative rest and calm of Vohai.

Way my life goes - chaos, rest, chaos, rest ... he mused in the early morning of the second day of hyperspace jumps to the remote, wind-swept planet as he sat at the gaming table and reviewed a datapad about the Utapau praxeum.

While the sinkhole-laden planet wasn't the furthest destination on Kyp's itinerary (AST Kikorie and Ilum both vied for that honor, depending on one's point of view), Utapau's location placed it firmly off of any simple hyperlanes (a point in its' favor as one of the "hidden" praxia, as opposed to the overt sites like Ossus or Serenno).

Utapau sat between the southern spurs of the Rimma Trade Route and the Sanrafsix Trade Corridor, so the simplest way there was to head back up the Five Veils Route to Farstine, then southernly toward Sanrafsix and down the Trade Corridor, then jumping from Kirdo to Utapau.

The good news was that the Vong hadn't made much headway in this part of the galaxy, so the hyperlanes were remarkably smooth.

There were some troubling rumors of a Vong interdictor sighted near Naboo - Kyp had accepted Luke's request to stop in and visit Lady Amidala and Zekk, so they'd see whether there were any Vong who needed discouraging from messing around there - but the real risk (besides pirates) would come between Kirdo and Utapau.

(Yes, theoretically the Night Shrike could jump from Vohai to Kirdo to Utapau ... at the risk of an insanely dangerous hyperspace jump across light-years of space without a well-mapped hyperlane. Kyp valued his life and his crew's lives, not to mention his mission, too much for such a stupidly risky move.)

And when we get to Utapau, then the real fun begins. Not sure why Luke sent Caro Benvier, a Bith Guardian - a bit of an oxymoron there - to oversee a praxeum on the same world as a still-sealed storehouse of Palpatine's, but maybe that's the point. A Consular or more mystical Sentinel might be tempted to crack open the vault, Kyp noted, shuddering inwardly at the idea of anything to do with Darth Sidious or any Sith.

He nodded in greeting as Dalonera, clad in a simple navy blue spacer's coverall instead of her beskar'gam, walked into the hold and poured a cup of caf. (Routine cleaning of the caf dispenser was one duty the whole crew gladly shared.) "Studying?" she asked.

"Refresher course for what to expect at Utapau. Once we're sure Naboo isn't overrun with Vong, I have to prove my diplomatic skills with the Pau'ans - a fun crowd, to be sure - and work with a Bith Guardian who was told to set up shop on the same planet as a Sith warehouse. Fun times ahead," Kyp quipped.

Dalonera's lips twisted in that hard-to-read manner she had - but through the Force, Kyp could sense her amusement. "Aren't Bith a little ... fragile to be Jedi Guardians? I mean, I get the whole 'rely on the Force' thing, but Bith aren't exactly Wookiees, for example," the Mando pointed out, before nodding meaningfully at the caf pot.

"True - and yes, please, black, no sweetener, thanks," Kyp replied. He gratefully accepted the mug from Dalonera, who smirked as Kyp made an exaggerated show of drinking the first sip.

More ripples of wakefulness filled the Force, and Kyp nodded as Ejen - wearing his own coverall - walked in, stifling a yawn, followed from another direction by Mali'yana and Korlo.

"Yub. Who flying ship?" the Ewok asked, taking a sizeable chunk of meat from the freezer. "And who want nerf patties for breakfast?"

Mali'yana smiled as she poured two glasses of shuura juice, then glanced at Ejen as he nodded, and she poured a third. "Sounds good, Korlo. I'll work on the hotcakes," the Twi'lek offered, and Kyp nodded.

(He didn't offer an opinion on Korlo cooking the meat; jokes about Ewok chefs were both tiresome and, frankly, offensive. Besides, Kyp was trying to be diplomatic. Really.)

He saw Ejen sit beside Dalonera, and the teen asked, "Master Kyp ... I know about how Jedi are supposed to focus on the Force, and not be angry and things. But ... is that what Master Skywalker's Order's really like? The Socorro and Vohai praxia were really different - I know the one was mostly Guardians, and the other was mostly Sentinels, but ..."

Kyp tried not to snort into his caf; he didn't want Ejen to think he was laughing at the kid. "Ejen, I can assure you, the stereotypical dull, obedient Jedi of the Old Republic are nowhere among our crowd - well, OK, maybe in small numbers, but we're a lot less uptight than the old-school Jedi," he said with a grin.

Dalonera raised an eyebrow as Aliste' and Karina walked in, but Kyp just glanced at her and said, "Aliste' is an exception to the rule, and Karina's looking for her dad."

"Points taken. Still, you have a hierarchy, and I'd expect things to get more organized as Ossus gets stable. Although I'll agree that students and ideas from places like Ukio, Socorro and Vohai will stir things up," Dalonera said.

Kyp nodded, grinning as Karina found a seat nearby and said, "The Masters Solusar always said that Jedi could have attachments, as long as they didn't interfere with our work."

"Exactly - healthy work-life balance, not the overreliance on meditation and the Force as a source of guidance. A nudge from the Force, searching your feelings, isn't bad, as long as it's paired with smart investigation and common sense," Kyp said, considering the topic.

He switched off his datapad - bad form to ignore the others at mealtime - as Aliste' looked discomfited. "But the Force is what makes a Jedi," she began - sounding a lot less certain of that than she had months earlier.

Dalonera kept a sabaac face, but the Mando flickered with amusement inside, while Kyp decided not to comment on Aliste's recent non-stoicism regarding a certain Imperial pilot. (Honestly, Kyp approved of Aliste's relationship with Moonskimmer, and he hoped it wouldn't end in a messy breakup.)

"While the Solusars are more traditionalist than, say, Kyle Katarn, they're hardly strict adherents to the old Code - they're married, and quite happily. Plus, Tionne performs music, and I doubt there were any Jedi Balladeers in Yoda's classification system," Kyp pointed out good-naturedly.

Chuckles went around the hold, and Ejen - emboldened by Kyp's positive response - brightened, asking, "Can you tell us what the other Jedi Masters are like? I mean, the Council, not every Master - there must be a lot now."

Kyp sipped his caf, thanking Mali'yana as she distributed plates of hotcakes and nerf patties. "Not as many Masters as you might think - Master Skywalker's been smart to not just hand out Mastery. You have to teach an apprentice successfully, so there's ... maybe a couple dozen or so Masters? That's not counting the ones at the praxia," he said before digging into his food.

Dalonera looked intrigued, while Karina sighed and said, "We need more Knights after the war ... I'm honored to be considered a Knight, but I don't feel like one."

Kyp smiled gently and said, "You earned it by exposing that First Order kidnapping ring. Besides, it's the hotheads who demand recognition as Knights who aren't really ready."

Pot, kettle, black
    , Kyp recalled, trying not to blush at how accurate the description was of him when he'd started out at Yavin 4.

He refocused as Dalonera said, jabbing the air with her fork for emphasis, "Skywalker's managed to avoid some of the worst mistakes of the old jetiise. But Myrkr was bad. Sending barely-trained adi'ke into a blatant trap stunk of the Old Order making Padawans commanders during the Clone Wars."

Kyp sighed, nodding as he replied, "Luke didn't act from malice, but Myrkr was a mess, by anybody's measure. I think Master Skywalker felt he was caught between a rock and a hard place - the trap was obvious, but the voxyn had to be wiped out. And ... not to be unkind, but he and Mara have young kids. They weren't about to sit still and let the Vong get them."

Dalonera scowled, but tilted her head. "Makes sense - but Jade should've managed the raid, even if she didn't lead it. Skywalker's soft, which has its good points in preventing corruption by tyranny, but that doesn't help in black ops," she opined.

Aliste' looked like she might say something, while Karina, Ejen and the others were watching with wide eyes. Kyp would've found the whole scene hilarious, if it weren't so close to home.

"Still, I daresay Luke learned from Myrkr. You need a job done, you send in the right people for the job, not kids," he said, hoping to close off that topic of conversation.

Dalonera nodded, seemingly satisfied, while Ejen asked, "Wouldn't Kyle Katarn have been a better choice? He freed Ord Sedra from the Vong!"

"Kyle is a one-man army, sure, but his myth is a few sectors too large. He's had his failings - he'll be the first person to admit that - and ... well, Kyle is sort of a blunt instrument," Kyp pointed out, drawing a gasp from Karina.

"Master Katarn is the Order's Battlemaster! He's supposed to be our greatest warrior - Master," the Cathar Sentinel said, scandalized.

Kyp chuckled, downing a sizeable chunk of nerf and washing it down with caf before replying, "Exactly. Kyle's a good man and a decent teacher - but he's no investigative expert. Sure, Kyle has the whole commando thing down, but his whole operating procedure involves more giant explosions than stealthy extractions."

Aliste' nodded, giving Nat Moonskimmer a small smile as he joined them - Kyp checked the internal security cams, gratified to know Qewpee was handling pilot duties. "Master Horn is arguably our best undercover and infiltration expert, outside of a purely dedicated Sentinel," she observed.

Kyp shook his head in the negative, smiling at Dalonera as she accused, "You're just protesting because of Horn's issues with you."

"I don't have an actual grudge against Corran; his specific view of how things should work involves toeing the government line as much as possible. I will agree that he's got the skills to be a great investigator, but he's gotten hidebound since his infiltration of the Invids. Now, I'll be the first to agree that Corran is our best all-around pilot," Kyp said.

That surprised the audience, but Kyp shrugged and said, "My skills are mostly Force-based. Corran's worked for his piloting, and he knows more overall maneuvers than I do. And before you mention Luke, let me point out that Luke left Rogue Squadron to focus on founding the Order."

Aliste' and Karina looked doubtful, but stayed quiet as Dalonera smirked and said, "Best saber jockey?"

"Overall, Kam Solusar, no question. The old definition of Battlemaster was lightsaber focused; Kyle's no slouch with a blade, but he's also got insane skills with firearms and vibroweapons, even improvised weapons," Kyp said.

Dalonera gave him a challenging smile, but Kyp just chuckled and said, "Yes, I'm not bad with a lightsaber. But mastering a lightsaber form doesn't make me the best duelist. In my own way, I'm as much a homing missile as Kyle. I just take better to using a disguise kit."

Ejen was eating up every word (as well as his breakfast), and asked, "What about the rest of the Council?"

"They're all good people, to be sure. I'd say Tresina Lobi is our best stealth investigator, and she's more flexible in rules of engagement than Corran lets himself be these days. Octa Ramis is another good pilot, and revived Makashi as a lightsaber style - she's given me a run for my money in dueling," Kyp considered.

He worked on another nerf party, continuing, "Saba Sebatyne is an amazing duelist with two sabers - we need more nontraditional examples of lightsaber dueling to diversify students' approaches to the blade. And, Saba's tough. She deserves real respect."

"Plus, she's one of only two only true non-human on a human or near-human dominated High Council," Dalonera pointed out.

Kyp shrugged; she had an indisputable point. "I don't think it's intentional bigotry. Lar Le'Ung would've made the Council had he lived, I'm sure. Look at the number of nonhumans running the hidden praxia," he offered, holding his datapad up for Dalonera to take.

She shook her head, devouring a hotcake before replying, "I believe you. It's just interesting how few nonhumans are in high posts in the Order, given that the old Order was - frankly - aliencentric," Dalonera said.

"I'd suppose nonhumans were wary of coming forward to join a revived Jedi Order at first. My father and I didn't even know we were Force-sensitive at first, until Master Streen found us," Karina pointed out.

"And Cilghal's a living, breathing counter to the idea that nonhumans make for poor Jedi. She's the foremost healer in the Order - stang, she cured Mon Mothma of poisoning as a novice," Kyp noted.

Dalonera nodded, while Ejen said, "They sound astral. Do you think I'll ever meet the rest of the Council?"

Kyp barked a laugh as he finished his breakfast. "My young apprentice, it's almost a certainty you'll meet the others. It's just a matter of when. For that matter, I could even introduce you via holoconference. I know Master Skywalker would like to meet you, and with things as stirred up out here on the Rim as they are, who knows who'll pop up?" he said.

Dalonera raised an eyebrow, and Kyp laughed, nodding; he didn't need the Force to read her moods, even after so long apart.

"I know, I know - don't tempt trouble," Kyp replied, rising to put his plate in the sink.

After all, trouble would find them whether invited or not, he knew.

--------------------------------

to be continued ...

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I always love Kyp's inner musings [face_laugh] I enjoyed the discussion about skill sets. =D=

8. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks. :) I've always thought Kyp would be a bit more willing to give his opinions. :D

Updating this, as Kyp and Co. arrive at Naboo, and find some interesting events ...

---------------------
    28.3 ABY:
    Naboo System,
    Mid-Rim:
    ----------------------

The Night Shrike emerged from hyperspace fairly close to Naboo proper - and into a firestorm.

"Shields up - we need gunners on the quad-cannons, now! Coralskippers inbound!" Nat exclaimed, juking the freighter as a hairball of skips surrounding a Vong cruiser analogue fought what looked like a swarm of X- and Y-Wings and classic Naboo starfighters.

"I'll take the top turret - HK-47, you've got the dorsal guns. Kyp, maybe get on the comms and see if the Naboo need help shoving the Vong'ese out-system?" Dalonera all but ordered, as she and the others left the cockpit and scrambled to their stations.

"Declaration: Oh, what joy! It's been far too long since I indulged in a ship-to-ship exercise," HK said, drawing a concerned look from Aliste' as she focused.

Dalonera gave the assassin droid a dire look and added, "Vong only. I know where you recharge."

HK's optics flickered in the droid version of a blink while he said, "Statement: Ms. Milthiad, you make your Mandalorian ancestors proud with your ruthlessness. I am glad to know you - an honor I bestow upon few meatbags."

Dalonera just rolled her eyes and pulled HK after her, while Kyp just grinned as he grabbed the com-headset; while he was ostensibly in charge of the mission, a Mando tactician was good to have on their side.

"Making the call now," he agreed, trying to break through the Vong jamming. "Qewpee, can you boost the signal?"

"Dweep-pweet!" the astromech agreed, and Kyp tried not to wince as the signal squealed during its' cycling.

Finally, the noise stabilized, and Kyp grinned as he put a distant Force-signature to the speaker.

"- go for the dovin basals, try to overload their absorption! No, I don't know whose freighter that is, just don't shoot it until we can break through the jamming and figure out if they're friend or foe!" a young man's voice barked, tinges of Coruscanti accent mixed with Rim influences.

"Definitely friends, Zekk. Sorry we didn't bring a larger group to help, but we've got a battle meditation specialist aboard," Kyp hailed.

"Master Durron?! How - never mind, we'll gladly take any help you can give! That Vong interdictor showed up a day ago, and its' support skips are giving me and the other Paladins a real fight, not to mention the Naboo Defense Force fleet," Zekk - the assigned bodyguard and rumored lover of the much-alive Padme' Amidala-Skywalker, called back.

Paladins? Interesting, Kyp noted, filing the information away for later as he double-clicked the comm, then looked to Aliste'.

The young Guardian nodded, closing her eyes and reaching out through the Force. Kyp could feel a wave of support and focus spread from Aliste' to the rest of the ship, then to the Naboo forces.

Nat sat up a little straighter and asked, "Is she - I feel more able to ignore distractions, like my reflexes are sharper."

"That's battle meditation when it's not oppressive. Now - keep us steady, and arm a concussion missile. We've got an interdictor to make miserable," Kyp said, pointing toward a nondescript part of the asteroid-like cruiser analogue.

Nat looked like he might ask something, but just nodded as Kyp worked up a firing solution. "Conc missiles are ready on your order," the Imperial pilot said, and Kyp focused.

"Open the launch tube, but don't worry about firing - I'll handle the propulsion. It's more important you get us through the flak. Take us in," Kyp said, projecting confidence.

Nat's eyes widened a bit, and Qewpee beeped, "Fwee-bweet?"

Aliste' started to levitate, then, her eyes half-closed in meditation, and Nat nodded, growing grim as he weaved the Shrike through a series of what Kyp thought were stabilizers or cooling fins.

He closed his own eyes - it'd been a while since he'd pulled this particular trick, but he was hoping the battle meditation would aid him on concentration.

Grab the conc missile ... and throw the conc missile, Kyp thought, doing just that.

The improvised shadow bomb left the Shrike's port launch tube and flew forward under Kyp's telekinetic control, slamming into an array of spines on the cruiser analogue's underside. The explosion was almost as satisfying as seeing the Vong-craft list and burn, and its' skips started to weave and wobble.

Aliste' suddenly snapped to wakefulness, as Nat pumped his fist and said, "That's some Force use I can appreciate! No offense."

"None taken - Master Durron, you need to know ... among the Naboo defenders, there are almost two dozen Force-sensitive pilots. They all are in the light, but are more ... emotional than I'm used to from Jedi," Aliste' said, concern clear in her voice and Force-presence.

Kyp nodded - he had a working theory, but wasn't ready to voice it. "Keep monitoring the situation, but follow my lead. I don't think it's anything negative, just unexpected," he said, smiling a little as the Vong leapt out-system.

"Zekk, this is Durron, aboard the Night Shrike. We're on a mission to reconnect the major galactic hyperlanes. Master Skywalker asked me to stop in and check on you and Lady Amidala-Skywalker while we were in the neighborhood," Kyp called - he trusted Zekk, but he wasn't about to share the praxeum search details over an open comm.

A cultured, kind female voice replied - with a degree of amusement - "I'm fine, Master Durron. But we're glad of your help, and welcome you and your crew to Naboo. I'm transmitting clearance codes and a directional signal to let you land at Varykino. We've got a lot to discuss."

Kyp grinned as realization bloomed on Aliste' and Nat's faces. "Receiving signal now, Lady Amidala-Skywalker - glad you're doing well. We'll join you shortly," Kyp said, nodding for Nat to follow the X-Wings and Y-Wings down.

He closed the com signal, as Aliste' said with a bit of awe, "Master Skywalker and Princess Organa-Solo's mother ... I only saw Lady Padme' once, at a distance during the peace accord signature with the Warmaster on Coruscant. She radiated such strength, for someone who wasn't Force-sensitive."

"That's Padme' for you - once you meet her in person, you'll be even more impressed," Kyp said, letting his Force-sense take in Naboo.

The planet looked unmarred by the war, which Kyp was grateful for; there deserved to be at least a few places that hadn't been overrun or marred by the Vong.

And what's been going on with Zekk and the Widow Skywalker, I wonder ... ? he thought - not salaciously, but because of the Force-sensitive fighter squadron Zekk seemed to have assembled.

They'd fought well, even taking the battle meditation into account, and Kyp was curious as to where the former street rat turned Darkest Knight turned Jedi bodyguard had found so many capable Force-sensitives.

He smiled a little to himself as Dalonera reentered the cockpit and said, "A lot of trained jetiise pilots for a planet so far from the front lines ... we sure there's not a praxeum here?"

Aliste' looked scandalized, but Kyp just tilted his head as the cockpit windows polarized to prevent reentry glare from blinding the pilots. "I suspect Zekk may have taken some initiative of his own - which I think is a good thing," he opined.

"Let's see what's waiting for us at Varykino ..."

------------------------------------------

To be continued ...

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Enjoying a Kyp story with no Jaina.......Its good stuff, well done. ;)

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on the post above and yay for the battle meld, and Zekk and the pilots defending Naboo with Force talents. [face_thinking] Padme alive and on Naboo, that is fascinating indeed and a story all on its own. [face_batting]

11. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Adalia-Durron: Thanks, and welcome. :) Jaina and Ganner (who's very much alive here, and I can PM you the link on how all that occurred if you want) are happily married, and Kyp has managed to come to terms with that ... even as he continues to try to come to terms with other aspects of his life. o_O

WarmNyota: Thanks again; I never really liked how Padme's fate worked out in canon (or Legends, or anywhere, tbh), so I wrote around that in an earlier story in this AU. There is an untold story in how he and Padme' ended up together ... maybe someday, I'll get around to writing it. :p

For now, a visit to Varykino, and an explanation as to just who its' Paladins are ... [face_thinking]

28.3 ABY: Varykino,
    Naboo:
    --------------------------

Kyp had only been to Naboo a few times - the relative peace of the Mid-Rim world hadn't lent itself to many visits by the Dozen and a Half Avengers, and those had all been to Theed for refueling.

Varykino ... wow. It really does live up to the legends, he thought, taking a moment to take in the sights as the Shrike landed.

The lake view alone was beautiful, but the sheer architecture of the estate was like something out of a sleepy-time story. There was a sense of peace to the lakeside compound, and Kyp soaked it in before reaching out through the Force.

As he'd sensed during the fight with the Vong interdictor, there were dozens of Force-sensitives in the vicinity. None were hostile, but there was a sense of wariness to the locals, as well as some relief, like the Shrike's arrival had let off some unnameable stress.

"I've never seen such a gorgeous place ... this is how the other half lives, huh?" Nat asked, a faint smile on his face as he and Qewpee finished the post-flight checklist.

Kyp chuckled, standing and stretching - he'd thrown around the Force more in that fight than he had in months. "Padme's not haughty like some nobles. Plus, Zekk's from humble origins, so they stay genuinely likeable," he said, heading to the hold.

The others had gathered, and Dalonera raised an eyebrow before asking, "You're expecting a warm welcome? Just saying, we don't know about the mystery jetiise out there."

Kyp bit back a retort - it was Zekk and Padme' - but Dalonera had a point. "OK, let's proceed carefully - you and Karina, at first," he offered.

Aliste' started to speak up, but Kyp glanced meaningfully at her and continued, "You mean well, but I want to avoid a philosophical debate until after we've reassured our hosts that we're not bringing bad news."

The Jedi Guardian managed to hide her disappointment and nodded, replying, "As you say, Master Durron."

Kyp smiled in what he hoped was a kind manner as he hit the hatch release. "I'm sure you'll get a chance to have your Jedi orthodoxy challenged soon enough, Aliste'," he joked, leading Dalonera and Karina off the freighter as he sensed a welcoming committee approaching.

The sight that greeted the questers was more formal than Kyp had expected - a corridor of blue-and-black-armored sentients with navy-blue capes, all adults or nearly so, who ignited bronze-bladed lightsabers and held them aloft in salute. There were, in fact, about 20 of the young Force-users, who reminded Kyp of the handful of Imperial Knights he'd seen.

(And only seen; given the flimsi-thin state of Kyp's reputation in the Remnant, he'd stayed far away from any of the Imperial Knights, not wanting to be accused of setting anybody off.)

But these kids aren't hostile - just the opposite, Kyp thought, smiling a bit as he saw looks of awe, amazement and friendly smiles on their greeters' faces.

He walked with Dalonera and Karina, down the corridor, and broke into a grin as the Lady of Varykino and her bodyguard waited for them at the end of the line of Force-users.

Padme' Amidala-Skywalker looked as magnificent as ever, dressed in a simple, but complimentary sleeveless green gown that was an allowance to the summer sun already over the horizon. She smiled warmly when she saw Kyp, as her paramour nodded to the new arrivals.

Dressed in blue and black armor like the other Force-users, Zekk of Ennth had barely changed from the last time Kyp had seen him - sharp but warm green eyes, black hair pulled back in a functional ponytail, and an athletic frame that echoed the confidence in his Force-presence.

Kyp bowed to his hosts - he meant the respect he was showing to Padme', and for all their differences, Kyp thought highly of Zekk.

"Lady Padme' Amidala-Skywalker, Zekk of Ennth, please let me introduce Dalonera Milthiad of Vor'paya and Jedi Knight Karina Taslar. Thank you for letting us stop in," Kyp said, serious for a few moments until Padme' hugged him and Zekk clasped his wrist.

"Of course! Kyp, you're more than welcome - you and your whole crew. We should thank you for helping us drive off that Yuuzhan Vong interdictor," Padme' said, shaking Dalonera and Karina's hands.

Kyp grinned, glancing at Dalonera as she quietly commed the Shrike for the rest of the crew to disembark if they wanted. "Glad to help. I've come bearing greetings from your family, while we work to reconnect the hyperlanes - and we're visiting various Jedi praxia," he explained as Zekk nodded.

The former Darkest Knight looked a bit embarrassed, nodding at the gathered Force-users to go about their business. "And you're probably wondering about what we're doing here. With the influx of refugees, we've been finding a number of Force-users, and we thought a Naboo-focused order of protectors might be a good idea - the Paladins of Varykino," Zekk explained.

Kyp relaxed, while Karina looked at the Paladins, some of whom greeted the rest of the Night Shrike's crew as they left the freighter. "Is the armor a requirement? It's practical, but it seems awfully warm in this weather," the Cathar Jedi asked.

Padme' smiled as she gestured toward the estate, and Kyp and his crew followed. "We decided a uniform appearance - with practical protections, and a single lightsaber color using native crystallized locap plasma - would help promote unity. The Paladins themselves decided on the color scheme - and there are micro-cooling units in their armor," she replied.

Dalonera's mood shifted to more approval, while Aliste' caught up with them and asked, "Knight Zekk - Lady Amidala - might I ask why you did not found a Jedi praxeum here?"

Kyp bit back a retort - he'd hoped Aliste' had gained some tact in her views on "proper" Jedi demeanor - but Zekk just raised an eyebrow as two teenaged Paladins (in simple blue coveralls, not armor) opened double doors to a vast dining room laden with food.

"I respect what Master Skywalker taught me - Knight Bynar, right? I recognized you from the clean-up operations on Coruscant after the last battle - but the Jedi reliance on the Force as the primary moral measuring stick was too open to allowing apprentices to go astray, in our opinion," Zekk replied.

Aliste' caught herself short, struggling not to blurt something out as Padme' added, "Zekk asked me to contribute to helping create the Paladins' code of conduct. While they're not exactly feudal, honor and compassion - and accountability - are paramount."

"So you can avoid the thorny matter of 'the Force made me do it,' or at least minimize that risk. Smart," Kyp agreed, giving Ejen and Korlo a "wait until we get the go-ahead" look - his teenaged apprentice and their Ewok friend had wide eyes at the sight of the food.

Padme' smiled again as she said, "Please, enjoy yourselves. You're welcome to stay as long as you wish, and we were just about to have lunch."

"Thanks, ma'am," Ejen said, still waiting until Kyp nodded to dive into the food - to be fair, the boy was going through a growth spurt. The rest of the Shrike's crew followed suit, except for Qewpee (who'd plugged into a droid recharging station) and HK-47 (who was absent).

The assassin droid's absence worried Kyp, until Dalonera gave him a wry look and mouthed, "I flipped HK's power switch."

Bless you, 'Nera, Kyp thought - the last thing they needed was that snarky droid running loose in Varykino.

He filled a plate with light sandwich fare, then joined Padme' and Zekk on the veranda, noticing the sizeable tray of food Padme' had. She blushed a bit and said, "I'd forgotten what eating for two was like."

Kyp's eyebrows rose, and he grinned at Zekk, who just reached over and gently held Padme's hand as he smiled adoringly at Padme'.

"We only just found out. I'm hopeful Master Skywalker and Her Highness will understand," Zekk said, but Kyp laughed kindly.

"Oh, they'll be thrilled, I'm sure. Besides, your little one's going to have some new nephews and/or nieces to play with about the same time they arrive - Mara's expecting twins," Kyp said

Padme' beamed, while Zekk looked relieved. "I'm probably worried for nothing - I know founding a Force-using order like the Jedi probably should've been run past the Council, but we figured we'd be all right," he said.

Kyp nodded as he took a large bite of sandwich. "You guys aren't the ones I'd worry about as far as sane Force training. Given some of the doctrinal stuff we've been coming across, a knightly order of Force-users who have to answer to non-Force-users is a welcome discovery," he said after he swallowed his food.

Padme' looked curious, while Zekk asked, "We heard through the grapevine about your trip. What's it been like? You seem to have picked up a unique crew."

Kyp chuckled, nodding in agreement. "They're good folk - and yeah, we've got some wild stories to share," he agreed.

----------------------

to be continued ...

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh delightful!!!! You really are the one for fascinating combinations [face_laugh] Jaina and Ganner worked so splendidly although before I never would have thought of them as a pair, and now Zekk and Padme ... fascinating. :D I love the Naboo lake country, always have, and the Paladins sound like a great offshoot of the Jedi, with structure and a code of conduct but not hidebound especially by the "non-attachment" rule and other things which would tend to push and pull toward Darkside use.

I'm tickled by Aliste' and her forthright observations.

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I love your portrayal of all these characters, and Mara with twins? :eek: How old would Padme be?! :eek: Clearly Women on Naboo have long lifespans and long 'fertile' periods. :eek:

14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Physically, she wouldn't be too much older than in ROTS. I don't remember exactly what happened, because it's been a long time since I read the other epics in this AU, but I think it had something to do with her faking her death and being in some kind of suspended animation. It was a whole thing.

15. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    First, my apologies - I'd been meaning to update this sooner, but I'd been getting ready for vacation. :) Hopefully, I should be able to post more this week. :D

WarmNyota: Thanks - J/G worked out very well (and at some point, they'll make an appearance or two), and I've long liked Padme' and Zekk (there's a story there to be told ... someday, when I get to telling it :8) Zekk's rather like a more sensible Anakin, tempered by his experiences with the Shadow Academy - which he's also passing on to the Paladins. :)

Adalia-Durron: Mara's fertility is a bit augmented here because of her temporary hosting of the Phoenix Force while she was pregnant with Ben (more on that in Sernpidal's Amethyst - the link is on page 1); as CowgirlJedi notes, Padme' was in stasis in this timeline, so she's not much older here than she was in ROTS.

Now, a bit of an update, turning to the antagonists - the Yuuzhan Vong have a long-term plan, with Utapau as a stepping stone ...

28.3 ABY:
    Utapau System,
    Outer Rim:

The worldship exited darkspace at the system's edge, giving Borja Kwaad a view of their target.

From this far out, Utapau looked like a poor choice for a full-scale invasion - surface scoured by windstorms, indigenous life forms living in sinkholes, the global water supply trapped beneath the crust ... it would take work to make the planet fit for the Yuuzhan Vong.

But true to Yun-Harla's teachings, appearances are deceiving, the Master Shaper reflected.

There were secrets on Utapau which the Revanchier - the self-proclaimed "True Inheritor" of the throne emptied by Shimmra Jaamane's death - sought, and traps to be laid.

One of Borja's villips rang, and she checked it, nodding when her acolyte, Ferin Rin, said, "Master Shaper, your presence is requested on the main meeting hall. Warmas - forgive me, Revanchier Kane' Kwaad seeks updates from all of the castes."

"Very good, Adept. Notify the Revanchier I will join the gathering at once," Borja said, leaving the viewing blister to do just that.

Cousins or not, Borja had no desire to anger Kane' Kwaad, for several reasons.

His temperament, for one ... and also his unique escalations, she mused, repressing a desire to shake her head.

Kane' had too much to prove - to himself, to the badly-demoralized warrior caste he belonged to, and to the few remaining loyalist Yuuzhan Vong who had thrown in with him in defiance of the Treaty of Coruscant.

" ... the gods were to give us this galaxy, but that traitor Nas Choka gave it away. To uh'maans and the wretched jeedai, no less!" the towering, uniquely armored Kane' Kwaad bellowed from his throne as a small knot of various castes nodded with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

There were precious few Yuuzhan Vong warriors who would choose a white vonduun crab as the basis for their armor, but Kane' had done just that - and adapted his garish skull-like mask to channel his chosen warrior honoree.

Borja had long ago learned enough political savvy to avoid pointing out that her cousin had chosen an infidel abomination to honor.

But given Kane' Kwaad's parentage and feats, abomination is almost something he could venerate ... Borja thought, bowing as she entered the chamber.

The other caste leaders present returned the gesture; most were on at least good terms with the shaper caste, since Yuuzhan Vong society was dependant on biots.

It didn't hurt that Borja Kwaad's innovation early in the war, to adapt yorik-kul into a less damaging form for use with this galaxy's native sentients had paid off in the long run.

Those worlds still in the Yuuzhan Vong empire were mostly pacified due to substantial use of the yorik coral to link the natives to yammosks dug into those worlds' crusts, and rendering them more potentially tractable to control.

But Utapau is fated for a different end, Borja thought, turning to the other caste leaders.

Irgan Carr, representing the intendant caste, spoke up at Kane's nod, activating a living light projector held by a tamed Duros slave. A rotating image of Utapau appeared, while the executor said, "Revanchier, we have located the dark jeedai storehouse rumored to belong to the fallen uh'maan Emperor."

"Very good, Executor. You have partially atoned for Project: Vua'sa's failure to slay Durron at Daalang," Kane' rumbled, glancing at the kneeling Vua'sa with undisguised anger.

"Belek tiu, Master," Vua'sa said, with less - fear? Groveling? - than Borja would have expected.

There was still something of Vua'sa that wasn't fully turned to obedience, and the Master Shaper made a note to watch him.

"Cousin? Borja Kwaad, do you and the other shapers stand ready to make use of whatever we find in the storehouse?" Kane' asked, and Borja nodded, beginning to answer.

She raised an eyebrow as Vua'sa suddenly stood, staring at the living-light display of Utapau, and said, "Masters - there are jedaii hidden on Utapau. Dozens. In the southern hemisphere - I can sense them."

That set a spineray among the ngdins, to borrow an old phrase, and muttering erupted fr the lower-ranked Yuuzhan Vong present until Kane' Kwaad ... laughed.

It was an unsettling sound, like a yanskac being forced through a gauntlet of amphistaves, and Borja thanked Yun-Ne'Shel she wasn't the target of her cousin's "amusement."

"So, Vua'sa, you do prove useful! Jedaii - a fine distraction while the intendants and shapers open this storehouse and seize its secrets for the new dawn of the - eh?" Kane' rambled, until a terrified warrior cadet ran in with a villip.

"Belek tiu, Revanchier - Commander Harvak Lah ordered me to report this discovery in person. My life if it displeases you," the youth said, bowing to let Kane' take the villip.

For all his eccentricities, Kane' Kwaad was not a terrible leader, Borja would admit - they needed every living warrior they had, with the losses from earlier in the war. The youth was likely more safe than some bearers of ill news might have been.

Kane' merely took the villip and said, "Rise, Taresh Vahk. One does not slay the blaze bug for poor omens on the battlefield. Now, to your message - Commander! What tidings?" Kane' demanded as the villip everted.

The savagely scarred visage of Harvak Lah - a cousin of the doomed Warmaster Tsavong Lah, and almost as fanatical as his kinsman - appeared, scowling.

"Revanchier, the darkspace scanners report considerable infidel ship traffic inbound. We estimate at least three, perhaps four cruisers and at least that many support craft - our assault at Rothana has at last drawn hunters," Harvak Lah barked, quick but unworried.

Borja schooled her features into calm acknowledgment, even as she and Irgan Carr exchanged knowing looks. The strike at Rothana's accursed KDY shipyards had only succeeded because of the worldship striking from surprise from above the galactic plane, and at no small cost to their ancillary forces.

If the Galactic Alliance decides to attack in force, as Harvak Lah suggests, we may be at a disadvantage. Our support fleet scattered to confuse the infidel pursuers - but at least some of them are not so easily fooled, Borja thought.

Kane's eyes narrowed as he replied, "Recall Battle Group Voxyn - keep Rakamat in reserve. I want to set an unpleasant surprise for our 'pursuers.'"

"As you command, Revanchier. We also have an inbound infidel freighter which matches the description of the accursed Kyp Durron's ship that eluded us at Daalang," Harvak Lah noted.

That drew Vua'sa's attention, while Kane' chuckled. "So, the accursed Durron stumbles into our trap as well. Allow them to land, Commander," the Revanchier ordered.

"I look forward to teaching that flippant jedaii how ... Grievous an error he has made in defying the will of the Yuuzhan Vong."

to be continued ...

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    No!!! Leave my boy alone! :p

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    So Kyp is dealing with two (possibly more) Kwaads? And one of them is apparently a Grevious fanboy? Real shame he doesn't have Tahiri on his crew.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ominous schemes being put in motion

19. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    All: Thanks - I'd long thought that the YV would have at least some reserve force hidden out of view of the NR/GA (that, and it seemed awfully convenient for them to run out of warriors when they supposedly were the only sentients left in their entire home GALAXY - that, to me, implies quadrillions of Yuuzhan Vong, but maybe not all made the journey ... ?).

And Tahiri may be closer than you think ... as the fight for Utapau begins here. ;)

28.3 ABY: Nearing
    Pau City, Utapau,
    Outer Rim:

The closer the Night Shrike got to Utapau, the more unease Kyp felt - but it was distant, like a half-remembered warning from a dream.

He waved Aliste', Karina and Dalonera I've to him in the main hold as they approached, and Kyp asked, "Any of you sense anything off about this? I've got a nagging feeling, but nothing I can pinpoint."

All three women (Kyp felt "Cathar female" was a bit overly exclusive where Karina was concerned) nodded, varying degrees of concern in their expressions. "It's not right on us yet, but close - we're being watched," Dalonera agreed, scowling.

"Dalonera's correct, Master Durron. The threat is still ahead of us - both on Utapau, and also in system," Aliste' said, her eyes half-closed.

Karina looked uncomfortable, adding, "But it's diffuse, hard to lock onto - I don't think it's the dark-side storehouse, not exactly."

Kyp pursed his lips; the Force was great when it worked as an early-warning system, but it wasn't as infallible as more traditionalist Jedi might hope.

"OK - we meet with the Pau'ans and Benvier, then be ready to split up. Dalonera, I want you, Mali'yana, Korlo and Qewpee to get to the storehouse and make sure it's secure - or, barring that, blow it to Chaos. I'll handle any political fallout with the Pau'ans," Kyp said.

The rest of the crew looked at him like he'd blown a gasket, but Kyp put on his best "No-really-I'm-serious-people" face.

(And he crossed his arms. That usually seemed to get more responses from his doubters.)

"Sith. Storehouse. I don't care about the stanging 'optics,' that place is BAD. If Benvier can't lock it down, or hasn't for some reason, then we have to prevent Palpatine's wicked toys from falling into others' hands," Kyp insisted.

The others traded glances and slowly nodded, until Ejen came skidding in from one of the staterooms, a grin on his face. "I finally got it! I'm able to control my discblade with my telekinesis!" the teen exclaimed, his Zeison Sha weapon in one hand.

He stopped, pushing sandy-blond hair out of his face as he asked, "What's wrong? Did something happen to the Utapau praxeum?"

"Not that we know - actually, thanks for the distraction. Let's see what you can do," Kyp asked, smiling - he was glad to see Ejen making progress in the Force.

The boy looked doubtful for a moment, but nodded and concentrated as he held the discblade in the palm of his right hand. The weapon started to float, then slowly spun around Ejen in a wobbly orbit, as the others watched, and Korlo softly "yub"-bed.

After a moment or so, Ejen recalled the discblade to his hand, and wiped a light sweat from his brow as he smiled a bit. "Still takes a lot of focus, but I'm really getting it," he said, blushing when some of the others applauded.

"Good work. Just don't neglect your lightsaber studies either - maybe we can spar with Master Benvier once we've settled in at the praxeum," Kyp said, glancing as a proximity alarm rang.

He activated the ship's intercom as Nat called, "Getting ready for atmospheric entry and approach to Pau City, Master Durron. Mali'yana's confirmed our clearance codes with the Pau'ans, but we haven't heard anything from the praxeum yet," the pilot said.

"I've used the frequency you suggested, Master Durron, but - wait, I'm getting something," Mali'yana called, and Kyp headed for the cockpit - better to get answers before landing.

He nodded to the Twi'lek slicer and accepted the comm headset from her, as the image of a Bith in standard brown Jedi robes appeared in the holocomm field.

"Master Durron - how unexpected. But positive, nonetheless. How does the wider Order fare? We get little news this far out on the Rim," Caro Benvier said in an almost musical tone of voice.

Kyp managed a smile; whatever was causing his unease wasn't centered on Benvier, at least. Her file hadn't indicated much likelihood of concern, in any case - while she was a Jedi Guardian, her species' tendency toward intellectual pursuits colored her approach to the Force.

A precise duelist - almost boring, but on a planet with a Sith storehouse, that's not necessarily a bad thing, Kyp mused.

"The other Jedi are doing well - we're re-establishing Temples and praxia on a number of worlds. Master Skywalker asked me to help reconnect the hyperlanes and reach out to the praxia founded before the war, to see how they're doing," Kyp said.

Caro nodded, tilting her head as she said, "Delightful. We have had some success here, although not as much as I had hoped. Utapau's location is not exactly conducive to recruitment, but I have enrolled more than 2 dozen Pau'ans who are Force-sensitive."

"Impressive. We have to check in at Pay City and update our nav data, chat with the locals, but we'll be by to visit soon. I also hope to discuss some ... Imperial leftovers," Kyp said, shifting his tone so it was obvious what he meant.

Benvier shifted her posture, slowly nodding - she wasn't stupid, obviously. "I understand. The facility you note ... requires discussion, preferably in person," she said, lowering her voice.

Kyp nodded back, keeping his expression even. "We'll been there within the day. May the Force be with you," he said as Benvier closed the line.

Mali'yana looked uncomfortable, while Nat raised an eyebrow and Utapau loomed in the distance. "An Imperial facility on Utapau? It wasn't the one where Grievous' corpse was hidden until the whole Necrosis fiasco during the Civil War, was it?" the pilot asked

Kyp gave Nat a piercing look back - that business had only come to light through New Republic (now Galactic Alliance, he supposed) Intelligence.

"You're awfully well informed for a pilot," Kyp noted without menace - Mali'yana had slipped out of the cockpit, leaving the two men to chat.

Nat made a few adjustments to the controls as the freighter began its reentry approach, then nodded noncommittally. "I've heard a few things. And ... I still talk with people back in the Remnant," he admitted, his tone neutral.

"HK told me. Must be nice having Grand Moff Pellaeon on your call list," Kyp said - he hadn't wanted to broach this in this way, but the Force-vibes he was getting were too ominous to overlook any possible threat.

Nat turned around, his mouth half-open as if he wanted to retort, but he wasn't sure what to say. Finally, the pilot managed, "I'd never put the mission in danger, Master Durron. And the Empire isn't the enemy of the Jedi any more."

Kyp slowly nodded, starting to shield his eyes against the actinic glare of atmospheric particles ionizing against the shields as they descended toward Pau City.

"You're not the enemy of the Jedi - nor is the Old Man. I believe that. But information leaks, Nat. Just ... be careful of what you tell Bastion, OK? And think carefully about how this will affect Aliste' when she finds out - because she will find out, one way or another," he said, clapping Nat on the shoulder as he left.

"One thing I've learned is that secrets kill relationships faster than any petty argument."

---------------
    Pau City:
    ---------------

"And when do we strike?"

"Once Durron lands and his group is mostly off of the blasphemous ship, Vua'sa will face Durron. The others are to be slain, or possibly taken as sacrifices. Above all, however, capture the shorter droid abomination intact. It holds astrogation data that will lead us to the jeedai training grounds."

"Belek tiu, Executor. What of the jeedai base hidden here? And the Seith storehouse?"

"A second team will secure the storehouse. The jeedai base is a secondary target once the warriors have conquered this world. The Revanchier wants Durron ended, NOW."

Hyperspace,
    approaching Utapau:

As far as Victory-II Star Destroyers went, the Darkglove was typical of its type - a floating fortress and fist, put forth to extend the Imperial will wherever it was needed.

Or, in this case, the Galactic Alliance's will, reflected the young Jedi general - a title he still didn't feel he fit into - as he examined the sitrep in the bridge holotank.

With him were his "adjutant," for lack of a better term - her technical title was Lieutenant, but nobody took that too seriously, least of all her - and their Yuuzhan Vong advisors, as well as the general's Padawan learner.

Said Padawan was currently examining the console with great fascination and soft "yub-nubs," a comforting facade of harmlessness to their Imperial allies, who still were nervously polite to Padawan Kettch.

Also present were the Darkglove's captain, a descendant of a legend of both the Republic and the old Empire; and the captain of the revived 501st Stormtrooper Legion.

(A joke running around below decks was that the new 501st had adopted the nickname "Khapet's Fist," as a nod to their new leader's ancestry - he took it in good cheer.)

None of that was present at the moment, as General Anakin Solo asked, "Captain Yularen, what's the situation?"

Captain Linx Yularen stood straight, nodding to his XO, Lt. Hera Goladrin. The dark-skinned woman pointed out two probe-droid-reported sensor echoes, both from the Utapau system - one near the system's edge, another nearing the planet itself.

"Sir, we've tracked at least two of the Yuuzhan Vong warfleets to Utapau. Intel indicates they're likely going after a Palpatine-era storehouse - background has been transmitted to your datapads - as well as tracking a nondescript YT-1300 freighter ... or, it would be nondescript, if not for its crew," Goladrin said, a mix of concern and interest in her tone.

Adjutant Tahiri Veila checked her datapad, raising her eyebrows as she skimmed the intel. "Kyp - Master Durron. Huh - this won't be boring, that's for sure," the young Jedi Knight said.

Anakin repressed a grin - 'Ri had a way of getting to the point - as he asked Niirit Esh, "Any idea why they'd send two battle groups to Utapau? Sith junk doesn't seem very high on the Yuuzhan Vong's priorities."

The former Shaper adept considered the question, finally replying, "Given our success at retaking Yuuzhan'tar - forgive me, Coruscant - the unreconstructed Yuuzhan Vong forces will seek any advantage they can get over the Galactic Alliance. If they have a turned jedaii slave who could access Seith holocrons or weapons, the storehouse may be useful."

"And it may be a matter of asset denial, as with the attack at Rothana. While Master Skywalker wishes to avoid the corruptive risk of Sith artifacts, the commanders of the renegade Yuuzhan Vong are likely not so choosy," Kunra rumbled.

Anakin started to frown, until Kettch piped up, "We beat them! Yub. Brave warriors."

"And not bad shots, either - sir," 501st Captain Vykk said, a Corellian grin crossing his face.

Anakin just smiled - his unease at being offered the clone troopers as soldiers was balanced by the unique connection he shared with them.

Still getting used to ordering around a stormtrooper division made up of my dad's clones ... Anakin mused, growing serious as he turned to the Jedi Masters who'd joined their hunt for the renegade Vong.

Tresina Lobi nodded, grave but steady, as she examined the hologram of the Utapau system. The Chev woman's search for the enslaved Miko Reglia had had to be cut short after the surprise attack at Rothana forced the nascent Galactic Alliance to hunt down the renegade Yuuzhan Vong.

More tense, but focused, was Octa Ramis; the Chandrilan Jedi's flight experience would come in handy in leading the revised Twin Suns squadron against the rogue Vong forces (Anakin's sister Jaina having resigned from the squad to raise her twin sons on Coruscant).

Octa half-closed her eyes, and Anakin and Tahiri could sense the Force flowing through the older Jedi - who gasped, "He's there."

Most of the others were confused, but the Jedi traded worried glances; there was only one "he" whom Octa could mean in this case.

Tresina gently put a hand on Octa's shoulder and asked, "Are you sure? I don't doubt -"

"It's him - he's drowning like before, but this time, it's in their damned programming," Octa growled, excusing herself and leaving.

Captain Yularen looked worried, until Anakin smiled sadly and said, "Master Ramis won't let us down, sir. We'll protect Utapau."

"I trust in the Jedis' capabilities, General. It's the unknowns that worry me, especially where these rogue Yuuzhan Vong are concerned. None of our intelligence assets even detected this worldship above the galactic plane - what if there are more of them out there?" Yularen asked, keeping his voice down so as to not upset the bridge crew.

Tahiri gave Anakin a challenging grin as she replied, "We still have a few surprises of our own, sir. Including our secret deployment transport in the hold."

A ripple of amusement rolled through the bridge crew, and Goladrin hid her smile as Yularen tipped his head. "As you say, Lieutenant Veila. Your 'transport' did save lives at Rothana. Lt. Goladrin, inform us when we exit hyperspace - we have much to prepare for," he ordered.

The XO saluted Yularen, while Tresina said, "I'd best check on Twin Suns - and Octa. Will you be all right, Anakin?"

"Once Vykk and I check the 501st's readiness. Ground pounding is never easy," Anakin tried to quip.

He activated his comlink and said, "Fiver? When we drop out of hyperspace, see if you can lock onto Kyp's beacon frequency. I want to see if we can warn him about the Vong."

"Yuuzhan Vong," Tahiri replied in an almost casual refrain, while Fiver chirped affirmatively.

Anakin managed a Solo grin; it was all familiar, so far, and he savored it.

It wouldn't last long on the ground, he knew.

----------------
    Pau City:
    ----------------

Kyp's sense of unease was - wavering, for lack of a better word, and that worried him more than a straightforward threat.

Maybe it's the difficulty in detecting the Vong through the Force? I should've made a lambent-saber when I visited Zonama Sekot, he lamented briefly as he led the way off of the Night Shrike.

Nat and Aliste' were staying aboard; Kyp's wariness about the situation suggested strongly that keeping the engines warm was a good idea. For his part, Tarvis Buan had asked to join Kyp's "squad;" the Mrlssi was intrigued by the possibility of taking samples of Utapauan flora and fauna for his research.

Kyp bowed to the welcoming committee - no less than Tion Medon himself, still the head of port administration for Pau City, and Caro Benvier, who led a group of six Pau'ans of various ages in Jedi robes.

"Welcome, Master Durron - friends. We are grateful for your visit to our remote sanctuary. Master Benvier has been invaluable in helping our young Force-users to control their abilities," Medon said, and Kyp nodded to Caro.

"The Pau'an preference for calm and thoughtful dialogue has been most refreshing, Master. As has their forbearance where the Imperial storehouse is concerned," Benvier said, lowering her voice as she motioned Kyp and Medon aside.

Here it comes, Kyp worried, giving Dalonera a quick hand signal - be ready.

He turned back to Caro, whose serenity was fraying in the Force, this close to her.

"You know the storehouse was breached more than 20 standard years ago, during the Galactic Civil War. I've managed to keep it sealed up since my arrival, but I fear there's something ... stirring inside the facility. I don't know what it might be - I didn't dare risk leaving my students to fend for themselves," the Bith explained.

Kyp nodded, relaxing a bit - until Medon added, "We have been monitoring space traffic that does not acknowledge port authority, Master Durron. At first, we believed it to be smugglers; they sometimes divert to Utapau in case of emergencies, although they rarely stay here due to the harshness of the surface, and our control of the sinkholes."

"No transponder signals or drive signatures?" Kyp asked, his instincts screaming - and then, he felt, or didn't feel, nearing voids in the Force.

Caro nodded, growing ice-cold in the Force, while her students drew their lightsabers and stood back to back with Kyp's crew. Kyp mouthed a question to Medon - Can we secure the storehouse?

The administrator nodded, and Kyp signalled Dalonera via comlink - she already had her buy'ce on, and Mali'yana lashed Qewpee to one of the giant Utapauan riding lizards before she and Korlo climbed onto the creature, riding off. Dalonera activated her jetpack and followed.

That left Kyp, HK-47, Karina, Buan (who'd somehow gotten a ridiculously large concussion rifle from somewhere), and Ejen, as well as Medon's guards and Benvier's students.

And then, the thud bugs started to fly.

"DO'ROIK VONG PRATTE!" the warcry came - and Kyp led the counterattack against 2 dozen Yuuzhan Vong.

What worried him was that at least half of them wore ooglith cloakers; that suggested shapers, or intendants, or both, and that was -

"'Master,'" a bitter voice mocked, and Kyp sighed as he blocked a swing by Miko, who'd target-locked onto him.

"You don't - oof - have to do this," Kyp asked as they went back and forth; Miko had the anger and overriding focus, but Kyp had the experience.

"My true Masters want you *dead.* As for the Jedi, they too can fall - or kneel," Miko snarled, ducking as something disclike went flying past - and Kyp's blood froze as he turned.

Ejen had called the discblade back, and was about to shout, when one of the shapers grabbed the teen by the arm and injected him with something.

The boy slumped, and the shaper handed him off to a warrior, who threw Ejen over a shoulder and retreated. Karina scrambled to try and intercept, but found herself cut off by a wall of Yuuzhan Vong, and Kyp glared at Miko.

His former apprentice almost looked sad as he said, "He will serve the Yuuzhan Vong - consider it the only mercy your band of misfits will receive today."

Kyp leashed his rage - and nodded.

Miko's eyes widened as Kyp started to methodically pound at his defenses; it was Juyo, but cold and focused, a chisel instead of a hammer.

"First, we end this. Then, I rescue Ejen and end your owners," Kyp vowed, sensing the battlefield.

There were more Yuuzhan Vong coming, but so far, the Pau'ans and Benvier's Jedi were holding their own - that, and HK-47 was counting kills.

Then, a ripple of warning swept over Kyp, and he dodged as magma rippled from the sky.

He risked looking up, his gut churning as the Utapauan sky filled with coralskippers and Yuuzhan Vong dropships, and Medon groaned.

Kyp looked back at Miko - then had to roll to avoid the swing of lightsabers as something big, white and absent from the Force loomed.

"Durron. Vua'sa has done well to bait you into our trap. Now, you die, and your precious hidden jedaii schools will be revealed to the TRUE Yuuzhan Vong!" the skull-masked Vong mocked, flanked by Miko.

Kyp tried to find a quip - and his friends through the Force, they all felt alive for the moment - until the sudden hum of repulsorlift drives filled the air, and one of the skips exploded.

"What?!" the towering Vong bellowed, watching an Imperial Star Destroyer come through the clouds, dispensing dropships, TIEs - and a dozen or so X-Wings, as Kyp smiled.

He grinned as a familiar BAMF-A! rang out - and a bantha materialized on the landing platform, flanked by four welcome Jedi and almost 20 Imperial stormtroopers.

"Sorry we're late, Master Durron. Ran into this murglak's traffic pileup," Tahiri Veila quipped.

"Better late help than none, guys - the bad guys took my new apprentice, can you handle big, tall and ugly here?" Kyp asked as Karina, HK, and Buan regrouped with him.

He blinked when one of the newly arrived Jedi stepped forward, holding a hand out to Miko, and the former apprentice froze - oh, stang.

"Octa?" Miko whispered, as the Chandrilan Jedi fought back tears and the big Vong snarled.

"Your final chance, Vua'sa - your final test. KILL her - or I will," the overgrown Vong spat.

Miko shook - then reignited his lightsaber, and Octa shuddered as their blades clashed, while Kyp's heart sank - but he had to save Ejen.

He glanced at Anakin, Tahiri, and Kettch, then at the white-armored Vong, who stared at Tahiri - then ROARED, as his arms split.

"Jeedai-who-was-shaped! I am Kane' Kwaad - you killed my mother! Prepare to DIE!" the powerhouse boomed as he activated four lightsabers and rushed Anakin's squad.

He's a Grievous fanboy?! a part of Kyp snarked as he gathered his team and tried to track Ejen through the Force.

Kyp hated to leave Miko and Octa, or Anakin's group, but he had to trust they could stand.

I'm through failing apprentices ...

--------------------

to be continued ...

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Riveting and very much of edge of seat!

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    And Tahiri is in the house, complete with teleporting bantha.

But Grievous fanboy Kwaad with a Princess Bride reference? That's just too much! [face_laugh]

22. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks. :D A lot of things spin out of Utapau that'll pay off down the line - these YV have a long-term plan in play.

Cowgirl: I'm glad you caught that. :D When I first had Kane' in mind, the Princess Bride reference leapt up, and was too good to ignore. :)

Things proceed here - warning for some Vongishness, although nothing I consider blatant (mods, let me know if otherwise), and a lot of action ...

-----------------
    28.3 ABY:
    Utapau:
    -----------------
    The first thing that really started to wake Ejen - besides the splitting headache and his dry mouth - was someone cutting his hair.

... what the stang? Know I needed it cut, but ... he thought, pushing through the gornt-wool in his head to try and open his eyes.

Right away, he wished he hadn't.

The room Ejen awoke in looked like the inside of some creature's stomach, while baskets full of bugs provided light - a Vong ship, then.

He looked down at himself, finding his clothes had been replaced with some kind of sleek black bodysuit, while something like pincers at his wrists and ankles held him to a table.

I spent 2 years on Daalang dodging the kriffin' scarheads, and now I get caught?! Ejen fumed - he tried a biofeedback technique to clear his head, and it helped a little.

The male Yuuzhan Vong who'd shaved Ejen's head nodded, setting down what looked like a shell on a rack beside the table. He said in understandable Basic, "The colt is awake, Master Shaper, and alert."

"Hmm. I had hoped to implant the yorik-kul before he regained consciousness. As it is, we will proceed - restrain his head, Ferin Rin," a female Vong with a shaper's headdress ordered.

"Hey - nobody's sticking anything in me, lady!" Ejen yelped, his eyes going wide as the female Vong took what looked like a small piece of coral from a vat, then looked at Ejen.

"You must not feel the tizowyrm in your ear, translating our words for you, then," she said, and Ejen rolled his eyes - it figured.

The male Vong moved to strap Ejen's head down, and the teen focused - this wasn't a time to waste energy screaming and thrashing.

Where's - there, Ejen thought, sensing his discblade on a table across the room. He was surprised the Vong hadn't strung him up in some kind of pain-causing ... thing, but he wasn't arguing, either.

Ejen reached through the Force to grab his weapon - his lightsaber was only a stun-variety, anyway, and his blaster might burn him as well as his cuffs - then, he pulled.

The discblade flew forward, startling the male Vong back enough for Ejen to make the blade cut his right hand restraint. He managed to Force-push the female Vong back before she could sedate him, and he grabbed the discblade, cutting his other limbs free.

The male Vong's bugged out, but the female frowned as Ejen yelled, "Let me go, right now, or I'll cut you! I MEAN it!"

He did too - he'd never been this mad before. They'd kidnapped him, dressed him like them, stuck a worm in his ear, and shaved his head.

Nobody was gonna use him as a lab experiment - he was a person.

/But ... so are they,/ Ejen realized, trying to calm down - the male Vong was shaking, and even if Ejen was upset, he didn't really want to hurt anyone. He felt ... cold, and empty.

The female Vong held up her hands, a weird expression on her face as the Force started to ripple. "I already have what I need in any case, young one. Spare us our lives, and I will open the chamber door," she asked, nodding.

The door did open, and Ejen nodded back as he ran - he could get a change of clothes back at the Night Shrike, he knew he had to *escape.*

Living clothes - weird. Stoopa Vong, Ejen thought, wondering why he was shaking.

He had to stop for a moment, as what just happened hit him - he'd almost been enslaved.

Deep breath - you can freak out later, right now, just RUN, Ejen reminded himself.

His former captors watched him retreat, and Ferin Rin asked, "Master Shaper, is what you told the colt true?"

Borja Kwaad nodded, examining the container holding samples of Ejen's blood and tissue, as she smiled and said, "Yun-Ne'Shel deals in the practical, not the deceptions of Yun-Harla, my apprentice."

"The colt's loss is displeasing, but only a minor setback. With his samples and sufficient external biomass, we will accomplish our goals in due time - and we live to pursue them."

Kyp had managed to track Ejen's Force-signature to what looked like the misbegotten offspring of a shal and a dovin basal.

Then, their luck had run out, with two alert warriors at the entrance iris catching sight of HK-47 and going into full Vong-froth mode.

"Declaration: DIE, you noseless meatbags!" the assassin droid retorted, firing with uncanny precision and using a built-in flamethrower to unsettling effect, as Kyp, Karina and Buan slipped past the guards.

"I know HK is built to take punishment, but those warriors seemed really angry. We'd better find Ejen and get out fast," Buan advised (between grunts as he hefted his concussion rifle - Kyp struggled not to laugh at the well-meaning Mrlssi xenobiologist).

Hey, he did handle it pretty well during the ambush, Kyp thought, focusing - Ejen was awake, alert and somehow getting closer.

The trio rounded a corner to find a four-way intersection, and Kyp blinked when a wiry, bald humanoid figure in a cloaker appeared in the hall across from them, then yelled, "Hey!"

"Ejen - !?" Kyp blurted, horrified - what had those murglaks done to the kid?

Ejen lit up and ran to them, halting when Buan held up a datapad and said, "Hold it - can't put it past the Yuuzhan Vong to booby-trap you. Just a few seconds, my lad."

"But - no, you're right, Doc. They already put a stangin' worm in my ear to t-translate ..." Ejen rambled, starting to sag - he'd been running on adrenaline, Kyp could sense, and the shock of what he'd been through was starting to overwhelm the teen.

After a second or two, Buan nodded, looking and feeling relieved. "No permanent implants - just the cloaker and a tizowyrm. Some signs of medical procedures, though - they took tissue samples, but nothing invasive," the doctor said, his tone going soft as Ejen let Karina hug him.

"I - I was able to use the discblade to cut myself free. I had't leave my lightsaber and other stuff behind, though ... sorry," Ejen said, sounding depressed until Kyp took him by the shoulders and looked Ejen in the eyes.

"Don't apologize. You managed to get yourself out of a situation most full-grown Jedi would've found hard to escape. I'm proud of you," Kyp said, smiling to hide his relief.

Ejen managed a weak smile, leaning on Kyp as they started back the way they came - then, Vong warriors blocked both ends of the hall. One snarled an order, going wide-eyed when Kyp lit his lightsaber and bared his teeth.

"I'm really trying to set a good example for the younger Jedi here, Subaltern - or whatever rank you are. But I gotta tell you, patience and Jedi reserve are not classes I scored high on back at the Academy," Kyp mocked.

Cl-CHIK-whine-BOOOOM!

The Jedi - and the now-seething Vong - ducked as a messy cloud of concussed organic matter settled, and Buan pointed at the hole his conc rifle had blown in the wall to the rescuers' left.

"Not a scalpel, but I'm starting to see why HK likes these things. 'Little Mrlssi, Big Gun,' now playing at a holo theater near you," Tarvis laughed as he and the others dove into a side corridor.

The doctor checked his datapad, while Kyp held a hand to the side of the organic-feeling wall; he really didn't like Vong biotech, but he had to admit it was ... grown ... to last.

"Karina, I think we're next to the hull. You cut down and right, I cut down and left - I don't want to comm HK for a mine, not when we're so close in a confined space," Kyp said.

The Cathar Jedi nodded, and they set to work cutting a hole in the hull, while Ejen sat down and tried to rest as Buan scanned the teen again. Kyp shoved down his guilt - his apprentice had done really well, but Ejen shouldn't have been captured in the first place.

But if we shelter them too long, how do they handle the wider galaxy when they have to leave? No-win situation ... I just hope whatever the Vong did to Ejen, it won't scar him too badly, Kyp thought, scowling to himself.

That was two apprentices of his the Vong had traumatized to varying degrees.

Vengeance is of the dark side, Master Durron, an annoying, but necessary little voice deep inside Kyp nagged him.

He focused his frustration on the wall ... and maybe he imagined it was Kane' Kwaad, just a little.

Stang - I hope Anakin and Tahiri are OK fighting that lunatic. And I haven't heard from Dalonera's team in a while, Kyp worried.

He just cut faster, as he reached out through the Force and tried to project support.

It wasn't Kyp's usual role, but he'd learned by now that the whole "storm off and do his own thing" tactic rarely got best results.

Maybe this is what they mean by growing up ...

----------------

Dalonera landed just as Mali'yana's riding lizard stopped near a massive, ugly old Trade Federation battleship core that just reeked of dark-side energies - it had to be the place

"Never a big fan of jetpacks. They get you places faster, but the risk of plowing into the ground is a real discouraging factor in using them," Dalonera tried to joke as she regrouped with the others.

Mali'yana nodded, unusually serious, while Korlo narrowed his eyes and said, "Yub. Feels wrong here. Nub. Like someone watching."

"Yeah, the air is heavy, and we're not even on the lowest part of the sinkhole. I'll work on the lock - we better not plug Qewpee in unless we have to," Mali'yana said, taking her slicing tools from her belt and getting to work.

Korlo calmed the riding lizard, which was sniffing the wind and honking nervously. Dalonera shared their caution - the dark-side osik being thrown off by the storehouse made it hard to track any potential threats.

The Mandalorian knelt beside Qewpee and asked the astromech, "What about your sensors, kiddo? Picking up any aruetiise - bad guys?" Dalonera asked - she knew that in pure years, Qewpee was technically the youngest present.

"Dweep-pweet? Dwooo," Qewpee replied with a trill of fear, raising her scope and rocking back and forth a bit. "Frweep-bwaat!"

Shapes moved from the support columns and the walkway, as Dalonera felt those cold voids of vong'ese, and she patted Qewpee's dome. "Message taken, Qewpee. Mali'yana, how's that lock coming?" she called.

"Got it! Whoever locked it back up after the Necrosis mess during the war with the Empire was good, but not quite ... oh. We've got trouble, I see," the Twi'lek said, pulling her blaster pistol as about a dozen Yuuzhan Vong warriors approached.

The tallest (and ugliest, Dalonera noted - what was it about rank and ugliness with the vong'ese?) pointed an amphistaff at the party and snarled in thick Basic, "Give us the droid-abomination and die quickly."

"Dwooo," Qewpee moaned, hiding behind Dalonera, and the bounty hunter patted the droid's dome - there were moments when the astromech was more human than some humans.

Dalonera primed her blaster rifle, but blinked when Korlo produced a vibroblade and snapped, "You end fast. Yub-nub. Mali, 'Nera - secure storehouse. Nub. I got this."

Mali'yana started to protest, but Dalonera looked at Korlo, then the Vong, and put a hand on the slicer's shoulder. "He's buying us time, vod'ika. We can't let whatever's left in that facility wind up in vong'ese hands," she said

The Twi'lek nodded, hugging Korlo, and ran with Dalonera for the entrance, Qewpee following. They slipped into the storehouse, Qewpee's built-in lamp and Mali'yana's glow rod providing enough illumination to guide them to a power junction.

"Let's see - got it," the Twi'lek said, smiling as the lights came on ... then frowning as they saw rows and rows of racks of boxes and storage units. "Let me see if there's a main directory."

"Good idea. I'll put an insurance policy in place," Dalonera said, planting high-yield detonite strips near what looked like load-bearing beams. It might not be enough to breach the former ship's hull, but she figured the blast yield should ruin any dar'jeti toys.

And really, this place should've been blown into the bottom of the sinkhole years ago. No good comes of dar'jeti osik, Dalonera thought, checking through the Force.

Something was stirring, all right - something not quite alive, but more than a droid, too - and she called to Mali'yana, "I'm sensing -"

"DWEEP!!" Qewpee shrieked, as the walls shook, and Dalonera and Mali'yana looked down one of the lanes of storage dividers.

Some kind of ancient-looking droid - too many legs, and a weird central mast - had activated, and it made gibberish sounds before locking weapons on where they stood.

Dalonera risked a blaster shot, scowling beneath her buy'ce as the droid's shielding deflected the bolt. "OK, ad'ike, time to ba'slan shev'la - let the vong'ese play with the big, bad ancient droid," she ordered, leading Mali'yana and Qewpee back outside.

They were relieved (and for Dalonera, more than a bit impressed) to find Korlo standing atop a pile of groaning Yuuzhan Vong. "Yub. Anybody can kill. Nub. Real measure of warrior is defeating foe," the Ewok said, returning Mali'yana's proud hug.

"Not bad, fuzzball. Let's celebrate with fireworks," Dalonera said, activating her detonite and nodding at the impressive fireball it left behind, as the storehouse plunged into the sinkhole's depths.

They climbed back on the riding lizard, making sure to secure Qewpee, and headed back toward the battle ... not noticing a cloaked figure appear from stealth beneath a cloak of Nuun.

Irgan Carr brushed ash from his shoulder, and held up the distasteful but useful core processor of the Rakatan droid the Mandalorian and her allies had disturbed.

He nodded for the Praetorite Vong warriors to attend to their wounds - the whole business had been to get the uh'maan and her allies to break into the storehouse for the Yuuzhan Vong - then spoke into a villip, "The records from Obroa-Skai were accurate, Master Shaper. I have the accursed Rakatan memory device."

"For this success, the gods will surely forgive your handling of technology, Executor. We are two steps closer to our goal, thanks to your achievement and an unwitting contribution by Durron's new apprentice," Borja Kwaad praised.

"The uh'maans and their allies will not expect a threat adapted from their ancient past ..."

------------------------

to be continued ...

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_relieved] Yay for Ejen and Dalonera's team, especially Korlo!!! But what was that they woke up in there? :eek:

Onderon1 likes this.
  24. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Korlo's quite fun. :D As for Dalonera's team, they faced - and survived - a Rakatan combat droid, one of the ones from the original KOTOR (and all the trouble that implies - it's part of this group of YV's long-term plan): https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rakatan_guardian_droid

As for the battle itself, here's the ending and an epilogue ...

28.3 ABY: Utapau:

If there was one thing the Yuuzhan Vong War had taught Anakin Solo, it was that appearances were often deceiving.

For example, a towering Vong powerhouse augmented with yorik coral armor also has speed and the ability to split his two arms into four ... the Jedi general of the Outer Rim Joint Expeditionary Defense Initiative thought, dodging another whirl of lightsabers.

Kane' Kwaad was proving to be a challenge.

Anakin and Tahiri had the advantage in mobility and the Force, but the self-proclaimed son of the late (and unlamented) Mezhan Kwaad had both power and reflexes.

~And the four lightsabers, dummy. Don't forget those,~ Tahiri half-joked over their Force-bond. This close, the telepathic elements of the link were far more clear than Force telepathy usually was.

Anakin rolled away from two more lightsaber strikes, as Tahiri somersaulted over Kwaad, while the Utapaun Jedi students and their Master, Caro Benvier, fought Kane's honor guard. The immense Vong snarled, "You will PAY for my mother's death, jeedai-who-was-shaped! And as for the 'Khapet Al-Yun' - eh?!"

A brown-furred blur trailing a green lightsaber afterglow darted beneath Kwaad, provoking a howl of rage from the warlord as the third assailant hamstrung the huge warrior.

"Kettch!" Anakin and Tahiri both shouted - in awe and fear. The Ewok Padawan had come a long way in a short time of training, but to get within arm's reach of the powerhouse was dangerous.

"Yub. You no hurt my Masters. Nub," Kettch demanded, stepping out of the line of fire as Commander Vykk and many other members of the new 501st Stormtrooper Legion took aim at Kane'.

"You twitch, Kwaad, you burn," Vyyk snapped, clicking the setting on his rifle to blast.

Kane' just - chuckled - and threw something from his wrist-gauntlet to the landing platform, as a cloud of smoke hid him from view. "Hold fire! He might try deflecting the bolts," Anakin ordered, pushing at the cloud with a Force gust.

In just that short time, Kane' had managed to leap atop a passing coralskipper, and the attacking Yuuzhan Vong forces started to retreat.

Anakin and Tahiri echoed each other's frowns, as Captain Yularen aboard the Darkglove commed, "General Solo, we're detecting a general withdrawal of Yuuzhan Vong forces from planetside. Long-range scanners are also detecting a second Yuuzhan Vong battle fleet emerging from hyperspace at the other side of the Utapau system."

"Understood, Captain. Are they making any aggressive moves, or moving to cover the worldship's withdrawal?" Anakin asked, feeling some relief as Kyp's crew arrived in two different groups - at least they mostly looked OK.

Frustration was clear in Yularen's voice as he replied, "It appears withdrawal is their aim. If we engage them with their reinforcements, we'll be at a clear disadvantage."

"Understood. I'll settle for keeping Utapau out of Yuuzhan Vong hands - we can get some more friends of our own and pursue once we've mopped up here. Solo out," Anakin said, turning to look at the damage.

While there was definitely some structural damage to Pau City, and the roiling of smoke from what looked like an old Trade Federation battleship core in the distance (the old Imperial storehouse, Anakin recalled from his briefing), there wasn't as much devastation as a Yuuzhan Vong attack could cause. It was ...

"Strategic. We were a distraction," Tahiri finished Anakin's thought, taking his hand in hers as they went to talk with Kyp and the Pau'ans - something didn't add up.

I should be happier this wasn't a full-on invasion ... but I get the feeling that whatever the Vong achieved here is going to haunt us down the line, Anakin worried.

------------------

Kyp wiped soot from his face before he greeted Dalonera's squad - lightsabering one's way out of a shal meant a lot of burning organic matter.

He managed a smile as the Mandalorian woman removed her helmet and clasped his wrist, while Mali'yana and Karina hugged, Korlo talked with Buan and HK-47, and Qewpee fussed over Ejen.

"We had to blow the storehouse - the vong'ese woke up some ancient droid that had shielding. This whole mess stinks like osik, Kyp - the vong'ese don't just hit and run unless they have a long-term goal," Dalonera said, nodding when Anakin, Tahiri and their troops caught up with Kyp's crew.

Tahiri looked them over, starting to speak until she saw Ejen, and she paled with fury, then calmed as Ejen looked at her with nervousness.

"Sorry - it's just ... you look like you were a victim of Domain Kwaad 'hospitality.' If you need to talk, I'm here," Tahiri offered, and Ejen thanked her, while Kyp gave the younger Jedi a grateful look.

"Master Kyp and the others rescued me before things got ... bad. But thanks," Ejen managed, and Anakin and Kyp shared a nod.

"The shapers didn't get far with him, but they did take samples. I'm getting really sick and tired of Domain Kwaad treating other sentients like livestock," Kyp growled.

He looked around, suddenly realizing who hadn't returned - until a massive quake shook the entire area, and Tion Medon ordered, "Secure the platforms! Stations!"

Something like a huge coral arrowhead shot past, and Kyp ran to help a bloodied, exhausted Octa Ramis climb onto the platform. "I - I couldn't get through to Miko," the Chandrilan Jedi groaned, letting medics help her.

Kriffing Vong -! Kyp fumed inwardly, watching as Qewpee replayed Dalonera's encounter with the ancient droid at the storehouse - and Anakin held up a hand to pause the replay.

The youngest Solobrat scowled at the image of the ancient droid and said, "That's a Rakatan guardian droid - the kind that guarded the old Star Maps. If the Yuuzhan Vong got ahold of it, Domain Kwaad might be willing to commit what they call 'heresy' to use it."

"Rakatan tech, Jedi biosamples ... this isn't going anywhere good," Kyp groaned, turning to Caro and Tion Medon. "I'm sorry we got you mixed up in this."

"The Yuuzhan Vong are to blame, Master Durron. We are grateful for your assistance - and that of the task force. Many more lives might have been lost had you not been here," Medon said in a diplomatic tone.

Benvier nodded, as her students helped the wounded or assisted with cleanup. "Please, stay for a few days, Master Durron. We don't have much, but what we have is yours," the Bith offered.

Kyp nodded; his people needed a rest. He looked at Anakin and Tahiri, as they waved off politely and Anakin said, "We heard from Master Lobi - Twin Suns Squadron rendezvoused with the Darkglove. We need to get after those rogue Yuuzhan Vong. If we get any more clues about what they're up to, we'll call."

"Thanks for the help. Be careful, and may the Force be with you," Kyp replied, smiling as Bangor appeared and teleported Anakin's squad away.

He grew grim as he went to check on the others - Ejen was still too quiet, and the mood among the rest was quiet at the mention of the Rakata.

Just once, it'd be nice if some ancient menace stayed dead ... Kyp wished.

----------------------

"We should be up there - I can use battle meditation to help our side, and you're a talented combat pilot!" Aliste' insisted.

Nat gave her an incredulous look that only got further under her skin - and not in a good way.

Ever since their relationship had become physical, Aliste' had sensed more than just the expected distance of an Imperial agent from Nat; they both had people to answer to.

But this is something else, the Jedi Guardian worried, as Nat looked at the storm of battle above their landing platform, then at her.

"Master Durron said to keep the Night Shrike safe because of the astrogation data backups we're carrying. If anything happens to the ship, this whole trip to date risks being wasted," Nat explained, the effort of not condescending to Aliste' clear in his voice.

She forced back her own scowl and stood; there was nothing but a useless argument to be had by staying here. "I'll go make sure nobody sneaks aboard, then," Aliste' said, regretting the sarcasm that slipped out

"It'd be simpler to date an Imperial Knight. They understand duty," Nat muttered, turning crimson as he leaked guilt at Aliste's stare.

"I DO understand duty, Lieutenant. I've also come to understand that duty - work - without friends and relationships is a shallow life. I thought you understood that - or am I just a bit of fluff on the side while you confess your true love to whomever you answer to?" Aliste' blurted - now, it was her turn to turn red.

Nat's jaw dropped, and he stammered, "I - I'm not - Aliste', my handler and I have nothing going on! Yes, I file reports with Imperial Intelligence, but it's professional, not -"

He froze at the flicker of horror that Aliste' let slip onto her face - she didn't handle vulnerability well, but she'd at least tried to be open to Nat's questions about her life.

"... So. I'm in your reports," Aliste' said, grabbing onto her shreds of self-respect as she left the cockpit before things worsened. Nat tried to say something, but sank his head into his hands.

This was a mistake. Jedi shall not love ... or at least, Shans shall not love, Aliste' grieved.

By the time Kyp and the others who'd been off-board returned to the Shrike, the mood was almost entirely not pleasant, just by default.

"I call the shower - right after I get rid of this freaky cloaker," Ejen insisted, darting for the stateroom he shared with Nat and Korlo (they slept in shifts to allow for some privacy, as did Aliste', Karina and Mali'yana in their stateroom).

Nat - who was radiating anguish beneath a veneer of discipline - raised an eyebrow at Ejen's shaved head and cloaker, then met Kyp's tired frown as the older man said, "The Vong captured Ejen briefly. He managed to escape a shaping lab, but it was a near thing."

The pilot went ashen for a moment, then composed himself, as Kyp approached him and asked in a low voice, "What happened here? You feel like your best friend stabbed you."

Nat's lips twisted, and he turned red as Aliste' - whose face was flush from recently-shed tears - talked with Karina, and the human woman looked away when Nat glanced at her.

Oh, for kriff's sake ... Kyp groaned inwardly; he'd warned Nat to handle this carefully, and clearly, it hadn't gone well.

"Look, this whole day's gone sideways. I'm going to have Aliste' visit the Utapau Praxeum and talk to Caro Benvier, the Master there. Caro's a Guardian, maybe she can help Aliste' clear her mind - as for you, go hit the stores, maybe find a cantina. Blow off some steam - and no, that's not a request. We're not leaving Utapau for a few days, and when we do, I want our main pilot and our battle meditation specialist at their best," Kyp insisted, letting the weight of his exhaustion and frustration into his voice.

Nat started to protest, but looked at the others - most of whom were doing their best not to look at him or Aliste' - and he nodded curtly. "Understood, Master Durron. I'll stay in touch," he said, slipping off of the Shrike.

Aliste' looked mortified, but Kyp gave her what he hoped was a gentle look, and he slipped into the cockpit, crashing in the pilot's seat - he needed a break from the drama before he spoke to her.

Miko escaped again, the Vong leader is a Grievous fanboy, Ejen almost got braintwisted, Octa was hurt, the Sith storehouse was blown up and the Vong might've gotten what they wanted anyway ... some days ... Kyp fumed.

He slipped a hand into his robes and found a small durasteel flask. He didn't indulge often - running from his problems had a tendency to become a problem in itself - but today was just too much in too short a time.

Kyp slugged back a shot, wiping his eyes at the sting, and smiled without humor as Dalonera - minus her jetpack and helmet - sat in the copilot's seat, quiet concern in her eyes.

"Tihaar. Only for the absolutely roughest days - when Whyren's just won't blot out the problems for a while," Kyp admitted.

A flash of respect flickered in Dalonera's eyes as she replied, "You picked that up from me."

"Mandalorian methods - the last resort for us aruetiise. That's condescending; I'm sorry. I shouldn't be maudlin - we all made it through this alive. It just feels like we got put through a grinder for no good reason," Kyp rambled - he blinked at the admission, he hadn't thought he was *that* drunk.

He surrendered the flask to Dalonera, who took a swig without flinching, and she smiled for a moment. "The taste of home," she said, focusing as she met Kyp's gaze and continued.

"Look, Kyp'ika, the galaxy doesn't come with a promise that every day will be pittens and rainbow berries. I can give you some jetiise-sounding osik about the Force or the manda or whatever only making sense in hindsight, but we both know that's nonsense. Sometimes, the bad guys win, and you can only be grateful that you can fight another day - and take care of your aliit," Dalonera said, smiling sadly.

Kyp nodded; he knew she was right, he just needed a break from the enormity of everything that'd happened.

"Thanks for listening. I better check on Ejen, then Aliste', then find Octa - I don't want to grill her, but I have to know what went down during her fight with Miko," Kyp said, standing.

Dalonera nodded, her concern returning as she asked, "You sure you can't delegate some of that? I'm not just a dar'jeti hunter, you know."

Kyp rubbed his face and smiled; it was kind of Dalonera to ask, but he'd already pretty much spread the duties around as much as he could.

"Master-apprentice chat can't be anything but those two beings, by necessity. As for Aliste' ... I don't think that Mando honesty is exactly the best vector to approach her on right now. And Octa - oh, trust me, she is NOT going to be in a mood to talk to anyone outside the Order right now. And I can't put any of this off for too long. But thanks for offering," Kyp said.

Dalonera smirked a little before she kissed Kyp's nose and said, "You're a good man beneath the martyr complex, Kyp Durron. I'll go check on the rest of the aliit before dinner."

Kyp sighed in gratitude as he watched her go down the corridor, and not for the first time, he wondered what life would be like on Vor'paya.

Idiot. Beskar chafes. And if 'Nera didn't get sick of you, you'd mouth off to the wrong Mando and get strangled with crushgaunts. Or - worst-case - carbon-frozen and sold to Daala as a wall decoration, he lectured himself.

Kyp shivered at that thought, then shook his head - self-pity was a dangerous distraction.

Besides, it's not like there's insufficient problems among my crew to distract me ...

--------------

Ejen had been able to get the cloaker off, and took a shower before dressing in shorts and a coverall; he crashed on his bunk, trying not to think for a while.

He shivered a little as he remembered the shaping lab - and the spots on his arms, legs and chest where they'd taken cell scrapings while he'd been unconscious.

I tried so hard to stay away from the Vong ... but I escaped, too, Ejen reminded himself, sitting up and examining his discblade.

He shivered again, this time at his reflection in the discblade - hair would grow back, he knew, but it'd been a close escape.

And ... how mad I got when I got free, the teen thought, remembering the cold of when he'd wanted to hurt his captors.

A knock at the door, and through the Force, stirred Ejen, and he called, "Come in."

He tried to smile as Master Kyp walked in - but the Jedi looked beat, and Ejen asked, "Are you OK? You fought really hard, I know."

"Just a lot going on. I wanted to check on you. If you need to talk, I'm here," Master Kyp offered, and Ejen nodded for him to sit beside Ejen on the bunk.

"I ... I'm doing a little better - after getting those weird Vong clothes off. It's still ... it's not so much that they caught me, but how I felt when I got free. I was so mad after I got loose, I - I almost went off on those shapers," Ejen admitted, looking at Kyp with shame.

Kyp's look got serious, and Ejen gulped as he added, "I didn't hurt them, though. They opened the lab door, and I ran ... but how I felt - it was cold, like stagnant, old water."

Master Kyp closed his eyes, but he seemed to relax, and he smiled kind of funny before putting a hand on Ejen's shoulder.

"First - thanks for trusting me enough to admit this. I want you to be able to talk to me about anything, especially the rough stuff," the Jedi said, and Ejen smiled a little - talking helped.

Kyp nodded, then, and put his elbows on his knees, his face between his hands as he continued, "As for the cold water - been there, too. That's a way the dark side feels."

Ejen shivered - he'd been afraid of that - but he listened as Master Kyp added, "I'm not surprised you faced the dark side so soon. With everything you've been through, it was only a matter of time. But unlike me, you made the right choice - even if it doesn't feel like it."

Ejen tried not to let his jaw drop - and he didn't, as the older Jedi frowned and said, "This was just the first test, Ejen. Some Jedi have this idea that the dark side is some great test once in their life, like during their Trials, and they never have to face it again. That's shavit. We have to watch ourselves every day."

"I - I think I get it. It was like back on Daalang, when I lived on the streets after my folks were killed. We - the homeless - looked out for each other, and we didn't steal from each other or ranat each other out to DalSec. Sometimes, it was tempting, but I never did it," Ejen tried to explain.

Master Kyp relaxed a little, and he patted Ejen's shoulder before standing. "Good, kid. Now - take some time for yourself. No lessons for a day or two, unless you want to train. It's OK if you need to cry, or holler - just try to take it out on a training droid if you need to hit something, or ask me to spar with you. Or, if you don't want to talk to me, then find Buan or Dalonera or someone - just don't hold it in."

Ejen nodded - then, on impulse, he leapt up and hugged Kyp, mumbling, "Thanks for coming after me. It - it means a lot."

"You're my Padawan, Ejen. That means more than just hollering the Jedi Code at you and making sure you eat your topatoes," Master Kyp tried to joke, smiling a little as he left.

Ejen laughed, smiling that he could still laugh, and he sank onto his bunk, tired. He started to doze until a thud at the door made him hit the door control.

"Fre-tweep ... ?" a nervous, quiet chirp called.

"Qewpee? Hey - c'mon in. Sound like you had a real adventure too," Ejen greeted - he liked the astromech, she was friendly and listened.

"Be-teeep dwoot," Qewpee beeped, rocking over the door frame and rolling to sit beside Ejen's bunk. "Dweep-pweet btweep."

Ejen's understanding of Binary had improved to the point where he understood what Qewpee meant, even if he couldn't get all the words.

He smiled, leaning back onto his bunk, and patted the little droid's dome as he said, "Thanks - sure, you can power down in here. It's good to look out for each other."

"Dweep! Bweep-freetweet," Qewpee said, her lights fading as she went still.

Ejen felt better, as sleep took him as well.

--------------------------------------

to be continued ...

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I enjoyed that a lot! I too wish ancient menaces would stay "buried." :p Nat and Aliste' had a real blow-out! :eek:

Whew, Dalonera's insight is right about bad things happening but I always like to think you can learn something /take away something of value. It's more than 100% frustrating feeling like you're 10 steps behind your adversary though. :rolleyes:

I loved the talk with Ejen. He seems to be grounded in light so that he instinctively doesn't cave into the easy path to vengeance or anger. =D=