main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Shores Yet Untrod" (AU; Kyp, OCs, completed 9/15/2021)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Onderon1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Glad you enjoyed it. :) Cem and Ejen will continue to have a friendly rivalry (more on that below), while Corran and Kyp ... well, they have a rivalry, at least. :p

Jysella will play an important role on Ilum, as well as become the final official member of Kyp's crew (there'll be a few unofficial ones, also). I wanted to explore the idea of Karina having her own Padawan, as well as an apprentice who thinks she knows what Kyp is like, but who may be surprised ... ;)

As for the Imperials, more below on their stake in all this - as well as a look behind the curtain of what the Yuuzhan Vong plan is, and where they're going - and a cameo by a certain Hutt from the Freemaker Adventures, of all places ... :D

------------------------
    28.5 ABY:
    En Route to Ilum:
    ------------------------

As an Imp-Star II Star Destroyer, the Chimaera had a Class 2 hyperdrive - still impressive, but Kyp was spoiled by access to the X-Wing series' Class 1s (and the occasional souped-up hyperdrives boosted by aftermarket, and sometimes outlaw, techs).

So when I was asked to navigate the jump to Ilum, it really was to cut some time off the flight ... and it'll still take the better part of a week to get there because of Ilum's placement above the galactic plane, he mused, watching the Imperial Knights and their Squires doing calisthenics before lightsaber practice.

They were waiting to don their full armor, instead wearing standard-issue Imperial Navy black shorts and T-shirts to exercise in. With them were Cem and Ejen - the latter in his usual coverall - and Kyp's Padawan was doing fairly well in keeping up with the Imperials. (He and Cem were competing with each other for how many sit-ups each could accomplish.)

Jysella, while Karina's Padawan on flimsi, was on probation, and Kyp had heeded Karina's request to let her work in private with the girl. While he secretly admired Jysella's courage in foisting herself into his crew, her timing was terrible - and Kyp was *not* looking forward to explaining all this to her parents down the line.

"All right, that's enough stretching and limbering up. Into your armor, and let's see some drills - group Aurek, start with Praetoria Vonil, and Bacta on Praetoria Ishu," Jarin Krieg ordered, hefting his armor on as the others split into two groups of three Knights and their respective Squires.

Ejen moved to stand beside Kyp, a curious look on his face as he watched the IKs begin their drills. "Cem told me the Knights created two new lightsaber forms. Ishu is more about defending your fellow Knights, while Vonil is more offense-oriented," the teen said, nodding to where the first group began practicing.

Kyp noted how the Aurek group members worked to protect each other, the Squires covering their Knights to allow their mentors to try and score hits on their opponents. The Bacta group, on the other hand, were more mobile, using powerful two-handed strikes to wallop each other.

"And when combined, an Ishu guard can allow a Vonil advancer to overwhelm an opponent's guard," Krieg said, smiling a bit as he and Cem joined the Jedi in watching the sparring.

Kyp repressed a wince as he saw the occasional spark of lightsaber blows against armor, and the Squires occasionally flinch at the power of their opponent's attacks. None cried out, though, and Kyp noticed Krieg watching his reactions with a neutral expression.

"Strict, but not cruel. The Yuuzhan Vong, pirates, and other criminals won't show mercy or kindness. With our Squires, we must afford the former, but must be sparing with the latter," Krieg said, nodding as Cem donned a blast helmet and tossed a remote in the air.

The youngest Fel (maybe? Kyp never could keep all of Jag's relatives straight) did a good job of deflecting sting-bolts, and Ejen smiled a little before glancing at Kyp, who nodded.

Krieg, and a few of the other IKs (Dalonera's abbreviation - Kyp had warned the rest of the crew not to use the nickname around their hosts), watched as Ejen produced his discblade from its holster and begin telekinetically practicing with it. The boy smiled a bit, but focused - the weapon had no stun setting.

"Is that a Zeison Sha weapon? I thought they loathed the Jedi," a dark-skinned woman among the Knights asked in a respectful tone.

Ejen blushed, catching the discblade as Kyp smiled and said, "Ejen isn't from Yanibar. His relatives gave him the discblade and an instruction holocron a few stops ago. I thought it was a good idea to let him explore his heritage, as well as the Jedi arts."

A black-buzzcut man with almost Rattataki-pale skin among the Knights muttered, "Student of two schools, master of neither."

His Squire, a red-haired human boy about Ejen's age, squirmed uncomfortably, jumping when his mentor glanced at him and barked, "Did you have an *opinion,* Squire Bakkil?"

"N-no, sir," Bakkil replied, returning to his drill against a blue-haired girl, while Kyp hid a frown and glanced at Krieg, who just tilted his head.

"Knight Umroe can be harsh, true. But we're preparing these Squires for the real thing, not some Moff's tea party on Entralla," Krieg replied without anger, nodding as Cem took a sting-bolt but didn't stop practicing.

"Granted. I suppose it's a matter of pragmatism," Kyp said, keeping his voice even - he wasn't thrilled with the Imperials' training methods, but his own technique could do with some review, he allowed.

Not that I want to be harsh to Ejen ... but if I'd been more strict with Miko, would it have made a difference? Kyp wondered, watching as Krieg went through a lightsaber kata.

The field leader gave Kyp a nod, smiling a bit as he said, "Care to give it a try?"

"Well, I did all but promise you a match," Kyp agreed, half-smiling as he ignited his purple blade. Krieg nodded, his silver-white lightsaber trailing a milky afterglow as he saluted Kyp.

The Knights and Squires stopped what they were doing, some of the trainees wide-eyed, while Ejen holstered his discblade. "Go, Master Kyp," he said, glancing at the Knights with a nervous smile until Cem grinned for a second.

"Loyalty is admirable. Let's see if your apprentice's faith is well-placed. I have a few surprises in store," Krieg said, bowing a little as he and Kyp circled each other - then lunged.

Kyp just nodded, catching the Imperial Knight's blade on his own and parrying the initial strike. They went back and forth, with Kyp trying a Juyo assured strike maneuver to land a blow on Krieg's left shoulder pauldron.

The Knight smiled tightly in appreciation, while Cem gulped and Umroe scowled; the other Knights and Squires were evidently holding their collective breath. Ejen's eyes darted between Kyp and Krieg as the men traded a few more strikes, and Kyp nodded a little.

"You're a Soresu practitioner," he observed, giving Krieg a respectful nod, and the Knight shrugged as he spun his blade.

"We can learn all the lightsaber form maneuvers, true, but we're not devotees. That would require more expenditure of training in Jedi styles than we find useful. Praetoria Ishu and Vonil are two of the answers to our unique needs as Imperial Knights," Krieg explained.

He spun as Kyp lunged (cursing inwardly - Juyo's weakness was its' focus on offense against one opponent, and precious little defensive strength), and the Jedi winced as his blade swept across Krieg's left gauntlet.

Even more surprising was the sudden deactivation of Kyp's lightsaber, and he had to bring himself to a quick halt before he stumbled. He glanced at the blade, then at Krieg's gauntlet, as the other Knights applauded or chuckled among themselves.

Ejen looked horrified for a moment, but Kyp shook his head in reassurance, grinning at Krieg before asking, "Cortosis gauntlets? "

"A bit of dirty play - my apologies. Your lightsaber should be able to reignite in a couple of minutes," Krieg said, an almost embarrassed smile flitting across his face.

Kyp shrugged - he didn't want to overreact, since he'd expected some kind of trick. "I'll assume you're taking advantage of the deposits on Nirauan. Metallurgists probably aren't that hard to come by in the Empire," he opined, examining his lightsaber hilt (it was likely fine, but he didn't take chances with his weapon).

Krieg nodded, smiling as Cem returned to his deflection training, and Ejen took up a remote of his own to practice with. "Grand Inquisitor Tremayne brought knowledge of cortosis to our order during its founding, about 3 standard years ago. We're still working on mass distribution of the gauntlets - for now, they're limited to the Knights," he explained.

Kyp nodded, filing the information away as his lightsaber reignited, and he asked, "Have you had to use the gauntlets against the First Order? They would've come in handy a few times when I ran into those freaks."

Krieg looked discomforted, then scowled, but Kyp didn't sense the Knight was angry with him. "Not yet. But if we do encounter those traitors, we'll be ready. We're not the old Empire, I assure you," he said.

Kyp nodded, hiding a sigh of relief as he made a few passes with his lightsaber, then shut it down; the gauntlet didn't seem to have left any permanent damage.

Nice to know we've got allies - or 'frenemies,' Betsy calls them - if we run into some old enemies, he considered, glancing at the security holocams in a few corners.

------------------

"The Knights are revealing quite a bit of intel on their tactics to Durron, ma'am," Lieutenant Erralie observed, his facial tattooes set off by his crewcut as Daala signed datapads full of orders for her fleet.

She smirked a little at the holofeed of Durron practicing with the Imperial Knights, then nodded as her Mirialan aide de camp took the datapads and prepared them for distribution once they were at Ilum.

"I'm not going to judge Sinde's people, Erralie. The Empire has changed - at least somewhat for the better - and if we can convince Skywalker's Jedi to not hack apart stormtroopers on sight, I'm willing to keep my nose out of what Grand Moff Pellaeon and Baron Fel are working on," she replied.

Erralie nodded, still clearly wanting to ask something, and Daala twitched an eyebrow, nodding in permission. The young man had served her well for some time now, proving he could keep confidences when need be, and she was willing to indulge his curiosity at times.

"Admiral, ma'am ... I've heard the stories about Carida, and Durron's passionate hatred for the Empire - and vice-versa. He'd never be allowed to set foot alive on Bastion, not without the Grand Moff's permission and a small army of a security detail," Erralie began.

Daala just sighed, finishing her order issuing, and continued, "And he still thinks I'm the embodiment of all that is evil about the Empire, so on and so on. So why did I agree to let him aboard the Chimaera and ferry him and his to Ilum - excellent question."

She met her aide's confused gaze and said, smiling thinly, "Don't think our airtaxi service means I want to invite Durron to dinner. We've got too much bad blood between us, and under most other circumstances, he and I would probably be at each other's throats."

Daala sighed, watching Durron help his apprentice with some obscure lightsaber technique, and added, "But Grand Moff Pellaeon asked for my help with the Moff Council. And I respect Gil Pellaeon, Erralie. Plus ... Durron's very good at killing scum who need killing, and he's been trying to atone for Carida for years. Now, he's even helping remap the hyperlanes. I'll never be his friend - and he definitely detests me - but I have to respect his efforts to change."

"Very good, ma'am. Thank you - permission to hand out orders?" Erralie asked, and Daala nodded.

She shut off the holofeed from the gym, glancing at a static holo on her desk, and smiled as she hoped Liegius and their son, Tommal, were safe.

No, I'm no fan of Kyp Durron. But like any weapon, he can be pointed at shared enemies, and I'd be a fool to indulge in old grudges, Daala mused before turning back to work.

----------------------------------
    Ne'Shel's Grashal
    Dreadnought Analogue,
    Ilum System, Wild Space:
    -----------------------------------

"Master Shaper, we are within scanning range," the captain said, returning Borja Kwaad's bow as she strode onto the bridge and observed the living-light readouts of the still-distant ice world.

"Thank you, Nevehk Dahn," Borja said, checking some readouts as the initial scans came in.

Crystal deposits remain
    plentiful - even over ages, the jeedai never depleted the planet's resources. Would that they were more reverent of the truth ... but they have their uses, she considered, nodding to the captain.

"The final components of our grand plan are here. Prepare your landing parties, Captain, and adjust your cloakers for cold weather. We need the largest crystal we can find," Borja ordered before she returned to her lab.

She nodded at the adepts as they monitored the growing jeedai clones - living fuel sources, at least for the first phase of the resurgence - and examined the ongoing translation of the Rakatan heretics' technical data recovered on Utapau, an oggzil digesting the information and providing it to the yammosk tasked for coordinating the work.

Borja smiled to herself as she examined the design schematic for the Great Plan's end device, appreciating the Rakatan reach, even if their grasp was pitiable - but then, they had been heretics, if at least driven conquerors.

And where the ancient savages failed, we will succeed ... and replenish not only our lost fleets, but our numbers, as well ...

----------------------

During her time as Master Stast's Padawan on Vohai, Karina had usually enjoyed her lessons - but she had had to temper her enthusiasm when she'd had a new topic to learn.

It figures I'd run into someone similar when my turn as a Jedi mentor came up, the Cathar Sentinel thought, smiling a little as she watched Jysella Horn practice a deflection drill in one of the Chimaera's spare gymnasiums.

The human girl was dedicated, but was fighting the urge to curse at the remote when it stung her, and her form threatened to crumble.

"OK, let's take a little break," Karina called, waving the remote to standby mode. Jysella shut down her lightsaber and removed her helmet, looking embarrassed until Karina sat on a bench and motioned for Jysella to join her.

"I'm sorry, Master Taslar. My form's sloppy - I should meditate more and focus better. I can be too impulsive, Master Tionne said, and she's right. That's how I wound up here, when I should've just stayed home," Jysella said, sadly.

Karina patted the girl's shoulder (and winced as she realized she wasn't that much older than Jysella), handing her Padawan a bottle of water. "Try not to beat yourself up, Jysella. And please, call me Karina, or Master Karina if you really have to. I'm barely a Knight myself. And ask questions. It's how we learn, after all," she said, as Jysella took a gulp of water.

The human girl looked shocked for a moment, but smiled a little and said, "Thanks, Master - Karina. Can - may - I ask you about Ilum? Is the temple there really restored - can we look for lightsaber crystals, like the old Order did?"

"We'll find out about the praxeum when we arrive. I don't expect there'll be any students; Ilum is hard to reach, but maybe the Force guided some refugees there. My father, Marik Taslar, was sent to Ilum to secure the old Temple ruins for our Order. I haven't seen him in about 3 years, since he left to help establish the hidden praxia," Karina explained - she figured she could at least tell Jysella that there was more than one hidden praxeum.

Jysella's eyes widened almost comically as Karina spoke, but the girl looked sad and radiated sympathy by the end. "3 years? I'm sorry. My brother Valin and I hid aboard Eclipse Station for the second half of the war, after the Yavin praxeum was wrecked. But at least we had messages from our folks, and we could send them messages," she said.

Karina thanked Jysella, then smiled a little. "I've seen people with siblings - and I had friends, of course, at the Vohai praxeum - but I'm a little jealous, I have to admit. My mom died when I was younger, and I never met my extended family," she said as Jysella finished her water.

Jysella gently squeezed Karina's hand, smiling a little, and said, "I know I'm your Padawan, and I'll follow your lead. But if you ever need to talk, I really can listen," the girl offered.

Karina grinned for a moment, grateful for Jysella's kindness. "I really appreciate it - do you have a nickname? Jysella's a pretty name, but it's a little long," she asked.

Jysella giggled, nodding. "Sella's my nickname. Mom likes to joke that I should join Tendandro and become a salesbeing," she joked.

Karina laughed, then met Jysella's gaze - time to be serious. "Something else. There'll be times that I'll need you to do what I tell you, when I tell you. I want us to have fun, but there's also times that you have to be life or death serious as a Jedi. You know from your dad that this isn't a game," she said.

Jysella nodded, looking at her feet as she whispered, "Like when I put the mission at risk by sneaking aboard," she said, saddened

"Master Durron might've overstated it a little, but you should trust that he usually knows what he's doing. Don't feel too bad, though. You meant well, and it turned out OK. My mission that served as my Jedi trial ended up being only a partial success, and Aliste' - Knight Bylar - almost killed me on accident," Karina said, smiling again as Jysella gaped.

"Can - can you tell me more about where you've visited? I mean, later on after practice. I know the praxia are still a secret, more or less, and I won't tell anyone, not even my family," Jysella asked, nodding at a security holocam.

Karina returned her Padawan's smile, and nodded back - Jysella was a quick learner.

---------------------

"... so I cross-referenced anti-fungals, and found one that cured the patient," Buan finished, smiling as the Chimaera's chief medical officer shook his head with awe.

"Vong-mutated mange. When I heard we were transporting Jedi and their allies, I thought things would be interesting, but I didn't expect there'd be anything scientific," said Lieutenant Drinis Caval, a 30-ish or so male near-human with military-short orange hair and orangish eyes.

Buan chuckled, checking the plant and animal tissue samples he'd asked permission to analyze - Imperial databases were still fairly off-limits to many Galactic Alliance civilians, and his research could do with some expanded data points. "It's been a surprising trip so far," he agreed, glad to find someone to talk to.

The Mrlssi glanced at Caval and asked, "Have you had any ... difficulty in the Imperial Navy?"

"Because of my features? There are still some days when being half-Theelin does me no favors, sure. But I'm not as overtly a hybrid as some are, and Admiral Daala cares about competency, not bloodlines," the other doctor said, shrugging. "Have you had issues?"

Buan shifted a bit, grateful for the break - he had to stand on a chair to use the human-sized equipment, which meant stretching. "Not very often. Mrlsst's history of academic accomplishment means I'm recognized by most offworld educational establishments ... hello, what are you?" he trailed off, surprised.

He waved Caval over to take a look at the scans and explained, "My main project on this trip, besides patching up my crewmates, is trying to find ways to mitigate or reverse Vongforming. I've had some luck breaking down yorik coral to try and help free enslaved people, and that's under peer review. This is a sample of damutek tissue I took on Utapau, and I exposed it to various energy spectra channeled through a spare mephite lightsaber crystal Master Durron let his apprentice examine for a lightsaber building exercise. Tell me what you see."

The Imperial medic examined the scans, rubbed his eyes, then checked them again and looked at Buan in surprise. "It looks like it's ... fissioning, like some microorganisms do. But should that even be possible?" Caval asked, concern obvious in his voice.

The Mrlssi shook his head, placing the troubling sample in a stasis tube. "No, it shouldn't. I'm not entirely sure what this means yet, but I need to consult my Jedi allies. If lightsaber crystals can be used to jump-start Vong biot regeneration, it's likely to be a problem we could run into on Ilum," he said.

Caval nodded, his expression somber. "I'll check the Imperial archives as well, and let you know what I find," he said, shaking Buan's hand.

------------------------
    Interlude the First:
    ------------------------

The Force - usually a still pond rippling with the flitters of life within Ilum's biosphere - was ... uneasy.

There are new arrivals at last, but none of the groups make me comfortable, thought the Jedi Watchman of Ilum, deep within the ancient temple where the lightsaber crystal Gathering tradition took place for millennia.

At least until the Empire, and the dark times.

Marik Taslar sank back into a contemplative pose, cross-legged on a rug in the ice cave he maintained as his home. The careful balance of heat from his fusion generator and the natural cold kept the shelter from melting or freezing, and the Cathar's only companion chirped.

"I know, B3. Just keep watch, and I'll reawaken soon," the tawny-furred and brown-maned felinoid asked, smiling at his brown and white R2 unit before refocusing.

In the almost 3 years since arriving, Taslar, as he most often went by, had grown attuned to Ilum's unique properties. Foremost amount them was how the crystals in the crust conducted the Force like ringing a bell.

It was, thus, theoretically possible to focus one's senses on any point in the planet and get sensory impressions from anywhere else on Ilum - a sort of remote security scanner.

Taslar concentrated, not trying to sense any details yet and settling for sensing the newcomers visually and through the Force.

The first group were mostly humans or near-humans, clad in cold-weather gear over sleek white bodysuits with rebreather masks. They weren't known to Taslar, but felt hostile.

The second group were more obvious to him - dark-clad beings of various species attuned to the Force, accompanied by Imperial officers and stormtroopers in cold-weather uniforms. Taslar repressed his distaste, remembering Imperial oppression on Taris, and settling for seeking out the third group.

They weren't visible through the Force, and the third group were the most unsettling to Taslar - especially when Ilum screamed in the Force at something the newcomers did to it.

Taslar leapt from his meditation, setting off a frightened reaction from B3 - a deserved one, the Sentinel worried.

"Criminals, Imperials, and Yuuzhan Vong, all here at the same time - there are no coincidences in the Force," Taslar rumbled.

He moved to seal the Temple portion he's managed to excavate and restore - not as much as he would have preferred, but more than most would have accomplished alone.

The Force, after all, was Taslar's ally.

-------------------
    Chimaera:
    -------------------

Aliste' had found the guest quarters assigned to her to be adequate, if a bit spare - but at least she wasn't rooming with someone else, and didn't have to sleep in shifts for the first time in a long while.

One doesn't realize what one has until faced with an alternative, she thought, finishing dressing after a round of sparring - she was going with a basic coverall instead of her Jedi robes, the better to not goad her Imperial hosts - and heading to lunch in a nearby mess hall.

Aliste' didn't hide her lightsaber, though. She was Jedi and wouldn't be shamed about it.

She found the mess hall only partially filled - it wasn't quite 1200 hours ship's time - and accepted a tray of what appeared to be edible grey mush with meat links of some kind, steamed vegetables and a glass with fruit-smelling pink juice. Aliste' looked about for a seat, blinking when she felt a gentle greeting in the Force, and followed it.

She found an Imperial Knight about her age, a male humanoid with blue skin and eyes and close-cropped black hair, who smiled as she sat across from him. "Welcome. I'm Knight Firre Porvuu - Pantoran," he said.

"Aliste' Bynar, Jedi Guardian/Sentinel hybrid from Talravin originally. Good to meet you. I didn't think the - ah, Empire got as far as the Pantoran system these days," Aliste' replied, shaking Firre's hand, and he smiled again.

"I'm actually from Entralla; my family relocated there from Pantora after Coruscant was taken by the New Republic. I'm lucky to have grown up in the new era of the Empire, and luckier still to have the Force - I'm not stuck swinging a wrench or firing a blaster as a groundpounder," the Imperial Knight said, grinning a little.

Aliste' was grateful for his positive attitude - they got a few odd looks from the crew dining in the hall, but no hostile calls or stares, so she accepted the Force's will and dug in.

"Why do you support the Empire? Patriotism, forced enrollment in the Knights, etc.?" Aliste' finally asked, curiosity getting the better of her.

Firre's eyes twinkled as he replied, "The uniform. You can't get gear like this anywhere else, that screams authority and style. But seriously ... I suppose I just don't know what else I'd do. I mean, Force sensitivity doesn't lend itself to selling topatoes, right?"

Aliste' tried not to snap at him - she wasn't so cloistered or huffy as to fail to recognize a well-meaning jokester - and replied kindly, "I believe in the Jedi Code and ethics. We have a responsibility to use our powers for the good of the wider galaxy."

Firre waggled his eyebrows and asked, "Ah, but who determines 'the greater good'? And whose measuring stick do you use? Sure, we're supposed to all be one big, happy alliance. But the ex-New-Republic perspective isn't going to be the same as the Imperial perspective, and then you have Corellia, the Hutts, and so on."

Aliste' considered that, finally replying, "I suppose one must consider the circumstances of any given mission, as opposed to a straightforward interpretation of dogma. Still, I should think minimizing harm to innocents should be at the forefront of any such rationalization, don't you?"

Firre looked surprised for a moment, then laughed and nodded. "I told Jarin you weren't the same stick-in-the-mud Jedi dogmatic your file described you as. You've changed - for the better, Knight Bynar. Thanks for the challenging chat," he said, rising to go.

As he did, he left a datapad beside Aliste's tray and winked, adding, "Look us up sometime. You and your pilot friend might just find the Imperial Knights to be less stiff than our bosses try to sell us as being."

Aliste' tried not to gape as the Pantoran gave his tray to a cleaning droid, and Nat walked over with a full tray and a curious look. "You seemed like you were having a pretty serious talk when I came in - should I worry?" he quipped, his grin belying any jealousy.

Aliste' gave him a wry smile as she examined the datapad - it was a hyperspace map to Nirauan, complete with security passcodes.

"It was hardly flirting, Nat ... I think it was an attempt at recruitment, actually," she said.

----------------------------
    Interlude the Second:

"What do you mean, 'static?' It's a fresh comlink! Vorpo couldn't drain the batteries THAT fast, am I right? He's a Rodian, not a starved hoojib!"

The two Klatoonians and the Sakiyan lawyer winced as their employer - a brown-skinned Hutt with a pale belly and face - waved his hands in frustration, slithering in a pacing motion outside the chateau in a valley on Serenno's northern continent, framed by mountains.

The For Sale sign out front of the ancient, if vandalized, chateau was pockmarked with age, and the Hutt shook his head as he ranted, "The stupid Empire could've turned this into a resort, or maybe a day spa, but NOOO! They just seal it up, and threaten to shoot anyone with vision for the place. And the New Republic was worse. 'The old owner's nobody we want to remember.' HA! You can't run from history!"

A rather loud creak of the front door drew the party's attention, and a shriveled, very dead Rodian tumbled out and down the steps.

The male Sakiyan checked the body, flinching in horror as he checked his datapad, and he called, "L-Lord Graballa - it's Vorpo, but -"

"C'mon, Akisi, I don't have all day here. The lighting is fading, and I don't want to pay extra on retouching the holos for the loan application to redecorate this place!" Graballa rambled, nodding as one of the Klatoonians held up a holocam and smiled.

Akisi shuddered and said, "You don't understand - My Lord, Vorpo has no blood!"

The Klatoonians took a step back, and Graballa gave the chateau a wary glance.

"Well, that'll knock a few points off my loan application. 'Chateau Dooku comes with a bloodsucking mystery.' Bad selling point - and poor Vorpo. Remind me to up his hazard pay to his family. I mean, he went above and beyond the call of duty, right?" Graballa observed.

He sighed, directing the Klatoonians to retrieve Vorpo's body, and dialed a commcode, saying, "Hey, Dalia? It's Graballa - yeah, yeah, I remember, I keep your secrets, you keep out of mine. I got a problem, though, the kind your edi-Jay axeum-pray might help with ..."

-----------------
    Chimaera:
    -----------------

"Nub. Nobody says hi," Korlo complained softly as he and Mali'yana made their way through the Chimaera's surprisingly well-stocked store (the Shrike could do with some fresh vegetables, and Mali'yana was curious about Imperial clothing).

The Twi'lek slicer smiled a little as she compared shuuras, glancing at where the other, mostly-human shoppers gave them odd looks. Nobody harassed them, either, though, and Mali'yana said, "At least nobody's asked me to dance, either, though. I guess Daala's really taking the whole females and nonhumans thing to heart as far as shipboard attitudes."

"Uhm - no disrespect, ma'am, but Imperial doctrine since Endor is to avoid Ewoks as much as possible," a rather nervous-looking midshipman with buzzed brown hair and actual *acne* said from across the aisle, flinching when Korlo looked at the youth with surprise.

Mali'yana sighed and said, loud enough to be heard a distance, "Folks, I promise, Korlo doesn't eat people. He's my bodyguard and my friend. That's all. Thanks."

Some nervous chuckles came back, and Mali'yana was pleased to see some of the other shoppers smile as they passed by. Korlo yubbed happily, and the midshipman apologized, retreating with a weak smile.

Cultural exchange 101: Somebody has to make the first move, Mali'yana thought, smiling as she picked out more fruit.

to be continued ...

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great rapport building between Jysella and Karina.

Excellent exchange between Daala and her aide. Her motives and mindset are very much in character.

The Imperial Knights have pragmatism on their side for sure, but there's such a thing as being so strict that the ones being mentored feel they cannot confide in their mentor, and that is a dangerous thing indeed! [face_thinking]

3. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks. :) Jysella's going to step up quite soon, and Kyp may indeed find he's glad she invited herself along ... [face_thinking]

Daala's got her own sort of honor - she's still not a nice person, but she's not cacklingly evil, either. And she and Kyp may come to an accord ... maybe. :p

And yes - the Imperial Knights are going to face a real challenge, for which communication might help ... but Ilum's going to be very chaotic for everyone ...

-----------------------
    28.5 ABY: Ilum,
    Wild Space:
    -----------------------

The Chimaera reverted to realspace at the edge of the Ilum system, both out of caution and experience - Hoth was still a valuable lesson for Imperial doctrine, even a couple decades on.

That, and something is really not right down there, Kyp sensed, observing a tactical display beside Captain Farranger, Jarin Krieg, and a middle-aged woman with dark skin, short hair and a black tactical uniform, who gave Kyp a disparaging glance before saluting Daala as she arrived.

"Ah, Commander Versio. Jedi Master Kyp Durron, this is Iden Versio, commander of Inferno Squad, the elite of Imperial Special Forces. Grand Moff Pellaeon loaned them out to us in case the Yuuzhan Vong showed up in force," Daala introduced, and Versio smiled thinly before glancing at Kyp again.

He tried to smile, offering his hand for a shake as he said, "Commander. Even a gadabout like me has heard of Inferno Squad - the Columus operation, the behind-the-scenes maneuvers on Coruscant after the Krytos affair ..."

"Scouting the Carida system for any survivors," Versio concluded, her voice about as cold as Kyp expected Ilum to be, and he lowered his hand as Farranger looked nervous and Krieg's face flickered with assessment.

Versio looked a bit ashamed for a moment, glancing at a small knot of commandos in armor similar to hers over in the corner who were trading cautious glances with a helmetless Dalonera. The commander said, "I - apologize. I'm being unprofessional. I just want my people's efforts - sacrifices - to be worth it."

Kyp held his hands palms up in a peace gesture, glancing at Daala with open concern as he asked, "I don't want you to risk your people needlessly either, Commander. What's the situation? Are there Yuuzhan Vong here?"

Farranger nodded, as Daala's Mirialan aide spun the hologlobe of Ilum almost 90 degrees to reveal a comparatively small, but ugly blotch on one of the northern hemisphere's corners. "Too small to be a worldship, but definitely in the planet's crust. We haven't detected signs of a war coordinator, although we are still far enough out that gravimetric readings are still suffering from backscatter," the captain said.

Kyp's blood chilled - this had suddenly grown a lot more dangerous - but Daala's eye glinted as she said, "We've fought Yuuzhan Vong in several theaters before, including a few ice planets. We planned for this eventuality, and more than a few of us are looking forward to making a crab bake on ice. However, it's not that simple. Erralie?"

The Mirialan turned the hologlobe another 15 degrees and pointed to where Kyp knew the old Jedi Temple was situated, then zoomed in. A vaguely familiar freighter sat a few klicks east of the temple, surrounded by some prefab shelters connected by tunnels.

"Normally, if we run across unregistered settlements, even temporary ones, we don't intervene unless there's clear signs of illegality or anti-Imperial activity. However, their timing, and proximity to the old Temple, made us suspicious. So we ran a profile check against known outlaw elements known to use freighters with this silhouette," Erralie said.

A side holo flickered through faces before settling on a familiar, and unwelcome, one - a middle-aged human man with short hair and a bad moustache and beard, drawing a scowl from Kyp. "Orfax Rask. The Ghosts are here," he spat, meeting the Imperials' looks.

"Smuggler scum?" Veriso asked, a bit bored.

"Slaver scum, who want to capture my crew's Twi'lek slicer and return her to a particularly sleazy Hutt. And Rask is a fully-trained Zeison Sha Force adept - and he's my apprentice's uncle. We have some scores to settle," Kyp explained, openly cracking his knuckles and nodding as Dalonera caught sight of the holo and curled her upper lip.

Versio looked more impressed, while Krieg raised an eyebrow and looked out at Ilum, still distant, through a viewport - then winced, making Kyp worry. "Do you sense it?" the Imperial Knight asked, and Kyp reached out.

He sensed something like frozen hatred, slumbering, but stirring, shot though with a measure of old patience - a familiar mix.

"Oh, of course this couldn't just be garden variety bad news ... your insight serves you well, Knight Krieg," Kyp said, pitching his voice carefully so as to not scare the bridge crew.

He looked at the gathered Imperial leaders and said in an even tone, "There's a Sith down there, still asleep, but stirring. If the Vong don't stir it up, that thug Rask could be reckless enough to accomplish the same thing. In any case, we'll need to move carefully."

Kyp was both surprised and pleased at his hosts' reactions to the mention of Sith - near-universal revulsion, and a flash of anger from Krieg. "Greedy, self-serving narcissists. Sith are nothing but profanations of the Force, and abusers of Imperial might," he snapped.

Daala nodded, giving Kyp an almost playful glance until he coolly replied, "I outgrew my Sith flirtation a long time ago. "

The admiral blinked as Dalonera added in a growl, "Durron's right. 'Redemption' is best served with restraints and a thicket of ysalamiri. Sith we can sense from this far out are too far gone to deserve more than a mini-BDZ."

Versio cracked a smile, which Dalonera returned with a quick grin, and the women donned their helmets as Kyp hid a smile of his own. "I've wanted to see a Mandalorian in action. Mind if we discuss munitions before we drop?" the commander asked.

Dalonera walked off with Inferno Squad, while Krieg lowered his voice and said to Kyp, "I think we may be seeing a frightful new friendship."

"Well, this trip is about cultural exchange, right? And we may need their firepower before this is all over. We'll meet you and Versio's people near the Temple. Also, let us go in first when we arrive. Taslar's probably alone in there, and us showing up with a bunch of unexplained Imperials might not be the best reintroduction," Kyp said as they walked to the turbolift.

Krieg squinted, then nodded. "A possibly uneasy Cathar Jedi Master is not someone I want to cross. I appreciate your forewarning, Master Durron. Given the volatility of the situation, perhaps we should leave our various apprentices aboard the Chimaera?" he asked.

Kyp shook his head, reluctantly but firmly. "Taslar is Karina Taslar's father, and Jysella is Karina's Padawan. I don't think splitting them up this early is a good idea, even with how tense the situation is. Once we've contacted the senior Taslar and gotten a sense of the situation at the Temple, maybe we can send the kids back," he said, and Krieg nodded.

"Reasonable. And to be fair, we wouldn't leave our Squires behind, either. Protecting them from every danger - even ones like this - runs counter to their training," Krieg noted, an undertone of regret in his voice.

Kyp just nodded - and made a note for Nat to keep the Shrike's engines warm, and not just because of Ilum's freezing temperatures.

I really have a bad feeling about this, he thought as the turbolift descended.

-----------------

Daala watched them go, nodding at Farranger to take over - she had a forward assault against the Vong to plan - just as the lieutenant monitoring the sensor crew stiffened with concern and strode from the crew pit, ashen.

What now? Daala fumed inwardly - at least the lieutenant was maintaining proper Imperial discipline, although whatever news he gave Farranger made the captain blanch, and that meant real trouble as he joined Daala.

"Admiral, ma'am - we have a situation. The gravimetrics crew picked up the bow waves of two massive inbound hyperspace signatures coming from different vectors, possibly battle cruiser analogues. We won't know for sure if they're Yuuzhan Vong or someone else until reversion, and both are only a light-hour or so out," Farranger said softly.

Daala seethed quietly - most of her fleet had temporarily scattered to aid Gilad's forces in shows of strength in the new territories that had joined the Empire after the Liberation of Coruscant.

She quickly nodded (no use in dithering), and said, "Yellow alert. We will not abandon our away teams, any more than we'll let the damned Vong keep a foothold on Ilum. This is our galaxy, by Darakaer, and I won't back down - but nor will I risk lives like I used to."

Farranger lit up with understanding, and asked, "Then, I should put out a call ... ?"

Daala's lips twisted as she nodded. "Reinforcements are never a bad thing, although this far outside the Braxant, we can't be sure who might show up. Still, we're supposed to play nice with the Rebels, and if Durron can stomach me, I can stomach some Galactic Alliance showboats," she agreed.

Farranger began to issue orders, while Daala waved Erralie after her. "Have my armor prepared. I want to be ready in case things get out of hand," she ordered quietly.

--------------------------

The Night Shrike was flanked by two boxy Imperial landing craft, and Nat did an excellent job of coordinating the drop as the others checked their cold weather gear.

"The main thing is to stay close and stay alert. The tactical readout showed the Vong are far away, but the Ghosts are relatively close to the Temple. Our main objective is to get there, make sure Master Taslar is safe, and get the Temple secured," Kyp said, looking at the crew.

"I'm just glad we're not going out in the weather," Mali'yana said, nevertheless keeping a fur-lined parka close as Jysella helped Korlo struggle into a snowsuit (Kyp hoped the Ewok wouldn't overheat as he waited as possible backup).

The actual away team was limited to Kyp, Dalonera, Karina, Ejen and Jysella; Kyp wanted to keep the majority of the crew strength aboard the Shrike, in case the Ghosts or the Vong tried anything stupid. Aliste' and Nat would be in charge aboard ship; Mali'yana would (ideally) stay safe aboard the Shrike with Korlo, Buan, and the droids.

Cem Fel was back at Jarin Krieg's side, but Ejen looked too lost in thought to be missing his new Imperial Knight friend. Kyp had warned Ejen about the Ghosts' presence, and the teen had gone unusually quiet -

Something shook the ship, then, and Nat barked over the comms, "Coralskippers and a troop carrier! We must've drawn their attention on the way down!"

"Mali'yana, take the dorsal guns, I've got the ventral," Dalonera began - just as another impact made the lights flicker, and something sparked as Kyp's Force sense flared with warning.

He made his way to the cockpit, where Aliste's hands flew across the copilot's station and Qewpee handled damage control at engineering. "We took the edge of a turbolaser strike! The Vong are space dust, but we've taken minor but cascading damage across the ship - when we set down, it'll take hours to lift off again," Nat yelled over several alarms.

Kyp gritted his teeth, about to curse Daala - this stank of her machinations - until the comm suite lit up and a scowling Jarin Krieg said, "Master Durron, we have - help, of a sort, about to meet us on the ground. A new Recusant-class Star Destroyer just reverted from hyperspace and picked off our Yuuzhan Vong attackers. They've also dispatched a landing party in advance of a full attack on the Yuuzhan Vong base, according to the Chimaera."

"Recusant-class? Not one I'm familiar with - post-war design?" Kyp asked, grateful as Nat brought the Shrike in for a fairly smooth landing.

Krieg looked unsettled as he replied, "The Recusant-class ISDs are limited in number - expensive, massive battle barges funded by a pro-Imperial Muun named Snoke. He's gathered support from some of the harder-edged Moffs and old COMPNOR crowd, as well as a young misborn who rode his fanatic father's coattails into Snoke's favor - a snotnosed martinet named Hux. None of the Recusants were ready in time for the war, or we might have held onto Bastion."

Kyp racked his brain, mumbling, "Luke and Mara mentioned meeting a Snoke during their trip to look for Zonama Sekot ... they said he was bad news."

Krieg nodded, giving orders to someone off-camera before he added, "Be wary around Hux's people. I have no proof, but I suspect they're tied to the reports of this 'First Order' bunch rumored to be kidnapping children for a new Stormtrooper corps outside the authorized legions. I don't trust zealots, especially Hux's type - see you on the ground."

Kyp nodded, signing off as he went to get a damage assessment - this was just getting worse.

-------------------

Karina shivered even with her fur; the sun was going down, and the temperature was worsening with Ilum's winds.

"Let's head to the Temple quickly!" Master Durron shouted over the gusts as their group joined 5 Imperial Knights and Squires, and the 5 members of Inferno Squad, in a quick march to the outline of the Ilum Temple in the distance. It was blurred by snow, but Karina reached out through the Force, and smiled in her parka as she sensed a familiar presence - and he rippled with surprised joy to sense her.

"Master Karina? I think I sensed someone ahead," Jysella said, keeping up fairly well despite the deep snow. Karina returned her smile, but tensed as Jysella fell into a drift - and a male Imperial commando gently helped her up.

"There you go, lass. Got to be careful with all this white stuff," the Core-accented member of Inferno Squad said in a friendly tone, and Jysella thanked him with some surprise.

Maybe they are different than we thought, Karina hoped, taking point as Master Durron waved her forward and the gates of the Temple neared - it was time for her to make a call.

Karina opened herself to the Force, projecting happy greetings, and called aloud, "Father?"

The gate slowly opened, and a towering figure in Jedi robes and a parka appeared, a shy silver-white R2 unit beside him. The Jedi lowered his hood, revealing a middle-aged male Cathar with a still-brown mane, who looked at the Imperials and Dalonera warily before blinking at Master Durron - and beaming as Karina held out her hand to him.

"Karina ... !? By the Force, it is you!" Marik Taslar, Karina's father greeted, and despite all the chaos, she lost herself in his hug for a few precious moments - she'd found him at last.

"Daddy ... I want to talk, but we really need to get in out of the storm. These Imperials are our allies, and you know Master Durron - we're on a mission to reconnect the hyperlanes and visit the praxia. May we come in?" Karina asked.

Father's smile warmed her even through the storm - but he scowled as 5 more figures limped through the storm, and Master Durron shared Karina's tension as a black-clad Imperial officer at the head of the group waved.

"Hail! I am Lieutenant Armitage Hux, with Arbiter Snoke's 335th Legion. We seek shelter from the storm, if you'll allow," the young human man said, polite even as he shivered. With him were three Stormtroopers, and a fourth with silvery armor, a cape and some kind of spear.

Karina almost spoke up - she didn't like the feel of these newcomers in the Force, and Master Durron and Master Krieg shared frowns. But they looked to Karina's dad, who nodded and said, " I don't have much, but I can provide shelter. Please, come in."

-----------------

Kyp was impressed as much by Taslar's hospitality as by his resourcefulness; a good portion of the Temple had been excavated and made fairly passable, while the Cathar had managed to make a small hydroponic garden near a geothermal vent.

Introductions were quickly made - Hux's shiny second in command was a formal woman named Phasma - and to Kyp's relief, Taslar was relieved to see them all (or at least, he was polite to the Imperials, and intrigued by the Imperial Knights).

Ejen, Jysella and Cem were awed by the crystals scattered randomly through the walls, and Kyp was mildly soothed by the Force's concentration in the sacred ground. Hux looked offput when the talk between Taslar and Krieg turned to Force esoterica, and Kyp turned to note a conversation between Iden Versio, Dalonera and Phasma.

"... nothing wrong with a good mix of kit. I prefer my spear for dealing with the Vong," said Phasma, who'd removed her helmet to reveal a surprisingly pretty blonde woman with blue eyes - a strong jaw and slightly mismatched ears, but not hard on the eyes.

Still, Dalonera outshone the trooper sergeant, and she gave Kyp a wink while Versio shrugged and said, "I prefer a distance approach - sniper rifle preferably, but blaster if I must."

Kyp sensed a friendly ripple in the Force, and accepted a canteen from a man with short brown hair in an Inferno Squad uniform. "Lt. Del Meeko - good to meet you, Master Durron," the Core-accented man said, smiling.

He gave the aloof Hux a suspicious glance and added, "Lots of rumors about that one. His father was Brendol Hux - real bad piece of COMPNOR work. Specialized in turning captured kids into troopers. Wouldn't be surprised if the shuura didn't fall far from the tree."

"I appreciate the warning. And thanks for helping Jysella out of that drift. You didn't have to do that," Kyp observed, smiling as Del gave him an embarrassed smile.

"Ah, but your Master Skywalker saved me once. Proved the propaganda about the Jedi being blind Empire haters wasn't all true. Besides, if I can help a kid, why not? I've got one of my own, after all," Del said, nodding to a fairly young member of Inferno Squad who looked like a younger version of Versio.

The young woman waved to Del, and Kyp tried not to choke on his water as he said, "You and Versio's daughter? And you're serving in the same unit?"

"I know - it's risky. But Zey wanted to follow in our footsteps, and how better to teach her?" Del asked, smiling.

Kyp just pondered that, frowning as Hux's greatcoat squirmed, and the snobbish lieutenant made protective noises to ... well, a small pitten which stuck its' orange head out of his coat collar.

Jysella gasped with joy, and called, "She's so cute! Excuse me, sir, what's her name?"

Hux looked startled, as if he hadn't expected civility from a Jedi, but he let Jysella hold the tiny creature as he smiled proudly. "This is Millicent, Padawan. She is the strongest of her litter," he said, and Jysella gently cuddled the mewing pitten.

That was when the Force rippled, and Kyp felt a blade at his throat as 9 stealth-shielded figures appeared, weapons at the ready.

Worse, they each had a ysalamir on a nutrient frame on their backs, and the discblade wielder growled in Kyp's ear, "Long way to come to die, Durron - unless we can make a deal."

"Orfax Rask," Kyp muttered, shaking his head at where Ejen was tensed up, and the Ghosts collected weapons despite Hux's sputtered threats.

"Just so. I want Mali'yana - and, since we have the advantage, I want my nephew out from under your thumb," Orfax spat.

"Not a chance, 'Uncle.' Your holocron might be helping me learn about my past, but you're a murglak," Ejen shot back.

Orfax tensed - just as something shook, and the Temple shuddered under a sudden surge of heat as the ice cracked.

"Volcano round - the Vong are shelling us! Let me go and we can work together to -" Kyp began.

He was cut off, unable to do more than watch in horror as a crack formed beneath Jysella and Millicent - and the Padawan plunged out of sight, holding the mewling pitten.

----------------------

to be continued ...

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I am very happy that Karina found her father safe and well but he certainly has acquired some interesting companions. :eek:

That scumdog Rask keeps showing up. And then the cliffhanger! [face_worried]

=D=

BTW, I see Millicent is part of the First Order group for reals! [face_laugh]

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  5. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    WarmNyota: Thanks - more this very chapter with the Taslars, as the action begins to build; the First Order aren't actually Marik's companions, but rather, self-inviting "guests" (let's just say that Starkiller Base in this AU will not be on Ilum, as this series of chapters will reveal ...).

Orfax is about to run into some forces even he can't plan around - Ilum is, after all, an old world, with who knows what or who lurking under the ice ... (cue next cliffhanger ... :eek:

And Millicent will play a role as well! :D More with her and Jysella right now ...

-----------------------
    28.5 ABY:
    Jedi Temple,
    Ilum, Wild Space:
    -----------------------

One second, the ground was there - the next, Jysella found herself falling.

She tried not to scream, remembering her dad's advice about surprises ("Try to think before you act so you don't make it worse," he'd always told her and Valin).

And I have to protect Millicent, Jysella reminded herself, gently tucking the pitten in her parka's inner pocket and concentrating on the Force.

The crack in the ground hadn't been very large or wide, but it did run deep, and it was slick from the meltwater caused by the volcano cannon impact. It was kind of like a really cold waterslide, and Jysella tried to brace herself by using the Force to absorb her impact whenever she landed.

Millicent mewed a little, and Jysella projected soothing emotions through the Force - Valin had taught her beast speech before they'd left Yavin - as the crack suddenly opened up.

Uh-oh, Jysella thought as she and Millicent plunged into a big cavern lit by bioluminescent moss, with what looked like geothermal pools. She forced herself to relax, trying to aim for somewhere soft.

The air seemed to thicken, then, and Jysella gasped as she - well, she walked on air, and she tried to picture a staircase down to the cave floor. She moved carefully, but cautiously, and tried not to giggle as she floated down to safety.

Millicent peeked out of Jysella's parka collar, and the girl petted the pitten in relief. "I didn't know I had telekinesis - unless I just absorbed my fear or something really weird," she wondered aloud, reaching out to a rock.

It was easier this time to lift the stone, and Jysella laughed, giving Millicent part of a ration bar and some water before eating the rest of the bar herself.

"We're not done for yet, Millicent. We better try to find a way out of here, though - we can get to the Night Shrike and get Knight Aliste' and the others to help rescue Master Durron and Karina," she said, looking around.

It hit Jysella, then - she was half-soaked, in a cold cave on an alien planet, with only a pitten for company, and bad guys held her friends.

No. Don't bawl - you're a Horn, a Halcyon, and a Terrik. Your dad broke out of the Lusankya, and this isn't half as bad. Besides, Karina and Ejen and Master Durron and the others need your help, she told herself as she dried her eyes and took a breath.

"Mew?" Millicent asked, purring when Jysella tucked the pitten back inside her parka and held up a glow rod, then checked the Force.

One of the side passages seemed to slant upward, and Jysella nodded as she felt a "tug" in that direction.

"Hang on, Millicent. We're going to try to save the day - no, there is no try. We will save the day," Jysella promised as they walked.

-------------------------------
    Meanwhile, and a few
    dozen meters above ...
    ------------------------------

The crack had opened too fast, and the cursed ysalamiri-caused Force voids had negated Kyp's telekinetic powers.

Jysella (and Hux's pitten) were just ... gone.

"Rask, let us go - the girl needs our help, she's not part of this vendetta!" Kyp snapped.

He hissed as Orfax drew the discblade closer to his throat, a little trickle of blood coming now from near Kyp's larynx. "I'm sorry for the child, Durron, but you risked her by bringing her here," the slaver boss growled. "If you -"

A sudden sob made everyone look over at the knot of late-coming Imperials, and Kyp blinked as Armitage Hux looked up, his face stained with tears. "Millicent," he whimpered.

One of the Ghosts covering Hux's group with a blaster made a vulgar gesture and sneered, "Shut up or you join the stupid pitten."

Suddenly, Kyp was glad for his truncated Force access, because had he felt the sudden shift in Hux's emotions, it might have overwhelmed him - it was a whiplash.

One instant, the scrawny 20-something lieutenant was grieving - then, his face contorted in rage, so vicious and rapid in its shift that it was like watching a monster from a holovid reveal itself.

"You - lowborn, animal-hating, brute. YOU SLANDERED MY MILLICENT!?" Hux - screamed, really, was the only word for it.

He lunged, and Kyp was sure the younger man was about to be shot dead - but instead, Hux's right hand formed a sharp jabbing shape that caught the Ghost in the throat, making him gag as the whip-fast Imperial grabbed his gun.

Even more shocking was that Hux tossed Phasma the rifle, tackled another Ghost, and started hammering the humanoid with martial arts blows, frothing in rage before degenerating to street-fighter punches.

"SHOOT THEM - AAUGH!?" Orfax bellowed as Kyp took advantage of the chaos and slammed his head backwards, drawing a satisfying crunch as he broke the slaver's nose. Orfax staggered back and released Kyp, who moved just far enough out of the ysalamir field to get the Force back and call his lightsaber.

He wasn't alone, as Phasma lit up the ysalamir (and took out half the Ghosts in the process), and the remaining gangers suddenly found themselves outnumbered at least 4 to 1, with almost a dozen Force sensitives among their foes.

"Uncle! Get back here!" Ejen demanded as Orfax cursed, removing his helmet and revealing his bloodied face. The elder Rask grimaced, winding up his throwing arm, but he was shocked as Ejen blocked the toss with his own discblade and caught his weapon.

"Not this time. You're a stain on our family and the Zeison Sha - even I know that, and I'm an amateur. We finish this NOW," Ejen ordered, a new certainty to his voice.

"You arrogant, ungrateful little -" Orfax began, before someone - several someones, really - started firing at him. He cursed again, raising a Force shield as he turned to leave (and ignored his 2 remaining thugs, Kyp noticed).

Then the Temple shook again, and a warmth that had nothing to do with combat made Kyp start to sweat. He looked over at Marik Taslar, who'd been fighting back to back with Karina against some particularly tenacious Ghosts, and the elder Cathar half-closed his eyes, frowning.

"The Yuuzhan Vong are closing fast. And their volcano cannons are getting a better range - if their ground troops don't breach the Temple perimeter, we may be buried alive," Taslar said, his plain statement quelling the edginess.

Hux reluctantly climbed off of the cowering Ghost he'd been beating into submission, and straightened his bloodied greatcoat before he nodded to Iden Versio. "As the junior officer, I believe it wisest to defer to Commander Versio's expertise for the time being," he said, and Versio nodded before looking to Taslar.

"The Master knows the terrain better than any of us. We might be able to make a stand, if we're willing to work together," she asked, relieved when Kyp, Krieg and Taslar nodded together.

"Well, Orfax, what'll - stangit!" Kyp blurted as the Ghosts' leader bolted for the exit. Ejen tensed, but finally recalled his discblade, a disgusted look on his face fading as Cem Fel said something to him. The Padawan blew out a deep breath before standing at Kyp's side.

"You did well not tearing after Orfax. There'll be another time," Kyp quietly praised Ejen, and the teen smiled weakly before looking at the crack in the Temple floor with a mournful look.

Karina struggled to keep her composure, until her father gently hugged her and said, "There's hot springs and open caves below us, my cub. Your apprentice may yet be all right. Trust in the Force, and let's survive the next few hours - then we'll look for Jysella together."

Karina thanked her father, while Versio gave her daughter Zey a surreptitious glance of concern, then activated her comlink. "Chimaera, this is Inferno Prime. We need aerial recon and a possible bombing run - we have volcano cannons nearing our position, over," she said.

"Inferno Prime, this is Chimaera. We've got limited visuals on a Yuuzhan Vong battalion en route to the Temple, over. Dispatching bombers and a landing party," a Corist male voice responded.

Kyp concentrated in the Force, but was rocked back by a virtual rainbow of sensory impressions, and he staggered a bit as Ejen helped him sit. "I tried that too, but it's like there's a bunch of mirrors between us and the Vong in the Force," the boy explained.

Taslar nodded, taking a deep breath as he started to levitate cross-legged. "It's the crystals, Master Durron. They're superb for lightsaber building, but the concentration in the Temple make the building hard to scan out of for newcomers to Ilum," the Cathar explained, closing his eyes.

"So we can't tell clearly who's coming?" Cem asked, blushing when Krieg gave him a sharp glance - but the Imperial Knight did nod, and looked at Taslar as the Jedi smiled a bit.

"You likely can't, Squire Fel. I, on the other hand, have been here for about 3 standard years, and am attuned to this sacred place - ah! I sense young Jysella is safe, as is the pitten," Taslar said, smiling for an instant before going deeper into trance.

Kyp and his group made relieved noises - at least wherever Jysella was, she wasn't hurt - and Hux got an almost blissful smile before blushing and composing himself.

They focused as Taslar shuddered a bit, then asked, "Knight Krieg, what of the other cohort of your company? I see them in the storm."

Krieg went ashen, cursing under his breath as he said, "The contingency - if we were cut off from Umroe's half of the unit through the Force, he was supposed to deploy and seek out the Temple! I'll call him off before they run afoul."

The Imperial Knight checked his comlink, saying, "Gauntlet 2, this is Gauntlet 1. Gahst, this is Jarin - copy?"

-------------------

"Cursed weather! This storm's kicked up enough ionization to scramble surface to surface communication," Master Umroe growled as he led the 7 other Knights and Squires through the blowing murk to try and find the Jedi Temple.

Squire Tol Bakkil hoped it wouldn't take too much longer. He was used to long and hard exertion - Master Gahst was a harsh mentor, but fair - but training usually didn't involve this much snow.

Stupid Vong. Stupid crystal snow planet - the teenaged human Squire grumbled to himself, still making sure to monitor the Force for any signs of - voids?

The first razor bug caught Squire Zakna Derant in the throat, as black-cloaker-clad figures leapt from beneath a snowdrift and Umroe cursed.

"Praetorite Vong!" the senior Knight shouted, his silver blade blunted by what looked like threads of ore shot through the tallest Vong's cloaker when Umroe's lightsaber hit him.

The Knights were able to take down two of the attackers, until a sudden - uneasy ripple, Dol could only describe it as - rolled through the Force. He looked around, his lightsaber whipping across the hip of a Praetorite Vong and sending the stealth attacker rolling down in pain by accident.

"Well-struck, Bakkil! You'll make -" Umroe praised, his positivity a rare event.

It made the next few moments all the worse.

A - shadow in the Force, of Tol's galaxy but twisted and wrapped in Vongtech, blurred past, decapitating Knight Xaj'hakr and impaling her Squire, Raisi Taj, one of Tol's friends.

Squire Farl Ikban gaped as the cloaker-and-breath-mask-clad attacker silently, mockingly deflected the Agamari-born older boy's attempt at a lightsaber defense.

Ikban died only a breath before his horror-stricken Knight, Poyo Gaars, a female Kel Dor, had her breath mask sheared from her face and shattered, her heart burned to ash by a quick thrust.

That just left Umroe, and Tol tried to reach him - but blorash jelly bound his ankles.

An almost gentle pair of alien hands brushed Tol's face; he felt a sharp, short sting at the base of his neck, then a slithering in his ear, and he understood the guttural barks of his foes.

He looked up at a female Yuuzhan Vong, who smiled at him - and he wasn't afraid, shouldn't he be afraid?

Not any more, colt. This is the beginning of your new life, a Voice, somehow wet and utterly alien, but oddly comforting, rolled inside Tol's head, like tendrils wrapping around his thoughts.

The rest was slow-motion, as Tol watched Umroe duel the Knight-slayer; Umroe scored a few hits, but the Vong-slave was faster.

The Knight took a blade in the throat, and Tol wasn't able to do more than moan - then, not even that, as he felt his mind drowning.

The last thing he heard for some time was a female voice ordering, "Take the colt to the cruiser and have Ferin Run begin processing him. Vua'sa and I have a blister to pop."

------------------

Borja Kwaad nodded as her newest test subject was lifted over the shoulder of one of the stronger Praetorite Vong agents and taken to the drop ship. The Imperial Knights had fought well, but Vua'sa had proven he was back in form.

The former jeedai tilted his head, like a hunting voxyn, and nodded through the thinning storm toward a series of structures - made-thing abominations. "A Force user. Not Durron, but he is not much farther," Vua'sa said.

"Excellent. Wait while I summon the vanguard," Borja ordered, activating her villip and calling the dig site; she absently noted the drop ship successfully take off and make space.

Nehvek Dahn's misshapen face appeared, and the captain of the dreadnought in orbit said, "Master Shaper, the new Slayers are ready and await your call and coordinates. We are remaining out of attack range of the heretic Imperials' Star Destroyer for now, but they are starting to buzz like blaze bugs."

"Understood, Captain. Once the crystal is aboard, nothing else matters. Even my life is forfeit - if you must, quit the field and get the crystal to Supreme Overlord Kane' Kwaad. We are too close to the endgame to risk defeat now," Borja ordered, and Dahn saluted her.

"Your dedication is admirable, Borja Kwaad. We will wait for you as long as we can. Beware - the uh'maans are sending bombers to harass the Slayer battalion en route to your location," the captain warned, and Borja thanked him as the main column of Slayers neared.

A subaltern astride a riding lizard rode up, offering the furred shaped beast's reins to the Master Shaper. She accepted them, climbing on adeptly as Vua'sa swung up behind her, and she nodded as her borrowed jeedai-killer held his biot-lightsaber aloft.

Hundreds of yearning voices shouted in eager anticipation - just as the unholy hum of made-thing repulsorlifts scorched Borja's ears.

Ne'Shel's maw luur - the bombers! she swore, lashing the reins and ordering as many Slayers forward as she could as the lizard ran.

Maybe 25 dozens made it past the ridge before the pressure wave and a flash of flame - and screams - forced Borja to shut out the losses.

Coralskippers harassed the bombers, and Imperial landing craft swung in behind the surviving Slayers; more of the Yuuzhan Vong forces were alive than Borja had hoped, and she sent orders by villip for the rearguard to delay the Imperials for as long as possible.

The crystal
    must be gotten aboard the dreadnought. And Durron must die - not only because of his crimes against the Yuuzhan Vong, but to seal Vua'sa's bond to us in his master's blood, Borja vowed, riding hard.

She didn't notice a sudden rippling in the ice, headed off to the east of her destination.

------------------------
    Ghost base camp:

Orfax put a temporary cast-brace on his shattered nose, wincing as he cursed Durron again; that damned sanctimonious Jedi had turned Ejen against him, and the Ghosts were all but destroyed.

"C'mon, c'mon ..." the slaver muttered, trying to to tune in Nar Shaddaa on the Holonet transceiver in his base's main meeting hall - he needed backup, even if it meant more debt to -

"Gorboga! I need help, Durron had more backup than I'd thought, and the Ghosts are dead or captured," Orfax insisted, as his Hutt patron and Orfax's older nephew Jamor appeared.

Jamor went pale, while Gorboga chuckled and said, "So you failed to capture the Jedi and trade him for Mali'yana? Again?"

"Damnit, Gorboga! They had Imperials - dozens of them! Even I can't be expected to - to -" Orfax ranted, his pain starting to crescendo.

Then the floor erupted, and he stared as a tall, powerful, bald and masked humanoid loomed over him, his eyes orange-yellow and more than a bit mad - but also calculating.

A bloodshine blade wrecked the transceiver, and all of Orfax's Force defenses crumbled like a snowball on Mustafar as the taller man held him aloft in a Force choke.

"How. long. How long have I slumbered? What is the state of the galaxy?" Orfax's captor demanded, his banked rage flowing like a tide.

"I - I - who are you?!" Orfax tried to demand; it was more of an embarrassingly plaintive cry.

Then, he saw only orange-yellow, and heard:

"Malgus."

It was as much a justification as a name.

And after a moment, it was all Orfax knew.

--------------

to be continued ...

6. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Getting back to this, as the fight for Ilum really gets going, and more surprises are revealed on the world ...

28.5 ABY:
    Jedi Temple Grounds,
    Ilum, Wild Space:
    ---------------------------

Kyp refused to let anyone else risk themselves on a recon outside, so when the Night Shrike came in for a landing, he was outside to greet Aliste', HK-47 and Korlo as they disembarked.

"We have atmospheric flight back, but Mali'yana and Qewpee are working on the vacuum seals. There's still a scattershot of small holes through the back half of the ship," Aliste' explained as Kyp nodded for Dalonera, Ejen and Karina to join them inside the Shrike with Jarin Krieg, Cem Fel, Iden Versio and Marik Taslar.
    (Kyp refused to trust Hux enough to allow the lieutenant aboard the Shrike except as an absolute last resort.)

Kyp nodded, considering options, as Nat raced in from the cockpit and added, "The drop ships from the Chimaera that accompanied us down just went offline for communications."

Krieg muttered a curse, while Versio said softly, "The Vong must be trying to cut us off."

"No doubt. Ejen, Cem - I want you two helping out with repairs. If things go to chaos, we'll need as much of the Shrike spaceworthy as possible," Kyp said in a no-nonsense voice.

The boys didn't argue, although Ejen did smile a little and say, "Thanks for trying to protect us, Master Kyp. We won't let you down."

Kyp just smirked for an instant, returning Krieg's grateful nod before growing grim again. He looked at Buan, who was working on medical kits, and the Mrlssi said, "I can do triage if I have to. But I'd really rather suggest we get out as quickly as we can."

"Hopefully it won't come to that. But Jysella's still missing, and there's the better part of a Vong army coming for the Temple - and us, if they can. I'm not going to abandon an innocent girl or a Jedi planet," Kyp insisted, checking his comlink as it went off.

"Night Shrike, this is Daala. The bombers took out maybe a fifth of the Vong warriors headed toward you, and our advance squads have another fifth pinned down in an attack on their rearguard," Daala said, surprisingly clear.

"Copy, Admiral. Any hope of more reinforcements from the Chimaera?" Kyp asked, watching Dalonera and HK check their weapons.

A smile underpinned Daala's reply of, "Look outside."

Kyp concentrated, feeling a sudden surge of life nearing the Temple, and he headed down the ramp, staring as rows upon rows of white-clad snowtroopers and black-uniformed Imperial Army troops marched to defensive positions near the Temple.

What really surprised him was Daala herself riding up on a tauntaun, a parka thrown over surprisingly effective-looking armor, and some kind of cavalry saber at her hip.

She gave Kyp a grin and called, "The weather's playing havoc with repulsorlifts, but we managed to get down all right. The Finalizer's fighting its way through the Vong flotilla guarding their excavation site, while the Chimaera holds back to cover us. What we lack in armor, we make up in numbers and stubbornness - and we packed a few E-Webs. Plus, I have a last-ditch surprise of my own."

"I'm just impressed you can ride a tauntaun. They're stubborn," Kyp replied with honest surprise, and Daala laughed before watching her troops work to fortify what positions they could.

The Force ... diminished, then, was really the only word Kyp could use to describe the sense of approaching Yuuzhan Vong - there was some flicker of that Sith presence, too, but the Vong were distorting the energy field too much to make it easy to pin down distant signatures.

There were some clear flickers of the energy field, though most specifically one which Kyp had hoped not to sense here, and he muttered, "Miko."

Daala must've had aural implants or just naturally good hearing, because she gave Kyp an almost sympathetic look. "I've given orders to try and direct him to you when it comes to that point," she offered.

Kyp could only nod politely, then asked, "Isn't it dangerous for you to be in battle like this?"

"If this were Irmenu, it'd be expected for a leader to fight alongside her troops. And our remotes identified the Yuuzhan Vong leading this assault as a Master Shaper - a female, who's been sighted on Ossus and Utapau, according to information shared by GA Intelligence. I want her to answer for her arrogance and twisted beliefs," Daala shot back, her lips curling in anticipation.

Kyp's mind raced, and he exclaimed, "Borja Kwaad? Here? What's so important that she decided to come to Ilum herself?"

"I suspect it has something to do with the planet's crystals, and whatever insane master plan she's working on. That, and you've been successful in interfering with her efforts. She likely wants to see you die," Daala observed in a dry tone, checking her electrobinoculars before smiling humorlessly at Kyp.

"Sounds like you know her type all too well," Kyp retorted, trying not to sulk.

"I grew out of that mindset after losing too many of my people. The problem with the Yuuzhan Vong, especially the shapers, is that they see life as subordinate to death, and they throw away good soldiers. As for this Kwaad, she's made a mistake by making this business personal. If she gets close enough, I intend to teach her not to mock Renatasian steel," Daala said, smirking for a second.

Then, she became deadly serious, drew her saber and held it aloft, drawing the attention of her troops. A few hundred infantry formed up, while about 50 techs and heavy gunners prepped the E-Webs.

Kyp sensed Krieg and his few remaining Imperial Knights gather, as did Inferno Squad, Hux's group, and Aliste', Dalonera, HK, and Korlo; Karina and Marik Taslar fell back to the Temple, to defend it as best they could in case things went worst-case.

Kyp ignited his lightsaber, returning Daala's nod despite the surrealism of it all, and she flashed him a hunter's grin before she lowered her saber and shouted:

"DARAKAER!"

"DARAKAER!"
    her troops echoed.

And then both forces charged, howling, while Kyp hoped Jysella had found a safe spot.

--------------------

The darkness itself wasn't what worried Jysella. She knew better than to be afraid of the absence of something - it was what was in the dark that she was wary of.

And I have my glow rod,
    and the Force - and Millicent, the girl thought, smiling as the pitten dozed inside her parka.

The tunnel seemed to be heading generally toward the surface, or at least up. That was the good news. But Jysella wasn't sure she could remember where she was going, and she was still cold (if a lot more dry).

She was following her instincts, like Karina had said, and they left Jysella into a fairly large cave with a lot of crystals - and what looked like a small campsite, with a power generator, two sleeping bags, and a little spring next to what looked like a mushroom bed.

Millicent popped her head up out of Jysella's jacket, and the girl let the pitten down gently to look around. "I don't know who could be living here, either. Master Taslar didn't say anything about other residents," Jysella said, looking at the walls and drinking in the scene.

She didn't touch any of the campsite - she didn't want to steal from anyone - and instead examined the crystals in the far wall. The Force was strong here, and Jysella felt herself drawn to a nearly symmetrical pink crystal about halfway up the wall, just out of reach.

For a normal person, maybe. But I'm a Jedi Padawan, Jysella reminded herself as she took a deep breath and tried to levitate.

It wasn't easy; once she was trying to think about what she was doing, it made it all the more difficult. Balancing the telekinetic forces was a lot harder than Jysella had thought, and she promised she'd practice when she got back to Ossus.

If I'm not grounded forever - no! No, stay in the moment. It's what Master Tionne always tells you Jysella reminded herself, concentrating again.

She was relieved when the crystal came loose easily, and the Force flowed through it and Jysella as she drank it in. Somehow, she knew she was meant to have the pink crystal.

Then, the cave shook, Millicent yowled, and Jysella barely managed to shield herself as she crashed to the floor, knocking the wind out of her and sending her glow rod flying.

She tried to get her breath back, feeling a wet nose brush her cheek and a purr comfort her - then, a tap-tap-tap noise startled Millicent, and Jysella slowly sat up, cradling the pitten.

The glow rod reappeared, seeming to float until Jysella saw it was being held by a small creature in a brown robe ... with big brown eyes, and big green ears, holding a stick.

Jysella tried not to stare; it couldn't be possible, but the being was strong in the Force, and it (he? Jysella guessed) smiled, before looking up at a roughly human-sized figure in a cloak and robes who followed the small being into the cave, chuckling.

"You look like you've gotten turned around," the human man said in a Rim accent, lowering his hood to let Jysella look at him.

He was older, but not old - maybe in his 40s. His close-cropped black hair was turning grey, with a patchy beard, and a tanned face framing kind blue eyes. Some kind of blaster hung at his waist, while he held a staff of gnarled wood.

"I - I'm sorry, sir. My name's Jysella Horn. We - my Jedi Master and I, we were visiting the Ilum Temple to learn what happened to her father, the Temple guardian, and ... I'm sorry, but is your friend - well, Yoda?" Jysella rambled, trying not to blush.

Millicent walked over to the short green being, letting him pet her, and she purred as the being laughed, gently scratching behind the pitten's ears.

The human man smiled, walking over and helping Jysella stand. "No, he's not Master Yoda - I'm somewhat of his guardian, as well as his student and teacher. It's a little complicated, but I met him years ago when he and a Mandalorian came to Ilum fleeing a Moff. I was stranded here after a ... run-in with the Chiss, and I found some renewed purpose," he explained, nodding solemnly toward a corner of the cave.

Jysella gulped as she saw a pile of stones, next to a carefully-piled set of Mandalorian armor. A rectangular lightsaber hilt sat atop the armor, and the little green being looked sad for a moment until the man picked him up.

"The Mandalorian was one of the bravest souls I'd ever met. I promised him I'd protect his charge, as well as fulfilling my own duty," the man said, smiling again as he looked in the distance, giving Jysella back the glow rod.

Jysella still felt confused, but at least the stranger didn't seem mean or dark. "I just wish I knew the way to the surface. Master Durron and the others were being held captive by slavers, and they might need my help. I wish I was a Togruta - Master Ahsoka could use echolocation to find the way out," she sighed, wishing she didn't sound so little.

She felt, as much as heard, the man's surprise, and he asked, "You know Ahsoka Tano? She's still alive after all this time?"

"Sure - well, she's my brother Valin's Jedi Master. She helped protect Rotta the Hutt during the Imperial years, and she worked with the Rebellion before she sort of joined Master Skywalker's Jedi Order," Jysella explained, watching as the man smiled and walked to the Mandalorian armor.

The little being levitated the lightsaber hilt, and the man gave it to Jysella. "When you see Ahsoka again, tell her Ezra said she'll know who should receive this lightsaber. It should go to a Mandalorian Force-user. As for me ... tell her I'm sorry I couldn't come back yet, but my watch over the World between Worlds isn't over yet," he said, and Jysella nodded.

The little being laughed, then, and pointed toward a large boulder that rolled away and revealed another tunnel. Ezra nodded and said, "Follow that tunnel in a straight path, and it'll lead you to the surface near the Jedi Temple. And may the Force be with you."

"A-and with you - thanks, sir! C'mon, Millicent!" Jysella said, pocketing the crystal and holding onto the lightsaber hilt as she left. Millicent mewed happily, letting Jysella pick her up, and they ran to the surface.

Nobody'll believe me - but maybe the Force wanted me to find these items, Jysella hoped, shielding her eyes as she saw sunlight in the distance - then, the Force *rumbled.*

Millicent hissed, and Jysella felt something somehow hot and cold nearby, making her shiver as she pulled in her own Force-signature.

There's something dark nearby, she knew - but she couldn't stop trying to reach her friends, either.

-------------------

More than 3 millennia ...

Malgus fed on the storm of hatred and anger roiling near the Jedi Temple, reinvigorating himself after his exertion with the carrion-lord Zeison Sha he'd mind-probed for information.

The Ilum weather was as miserable as he remembered; he'd found himself in ice that had grown around him after his fall from the shattered space station over Ilum all those millennia ago.

And these ... Yuuzhan Vong, the Forceless abominations, stirred me with their digging. I should thank them with quick deaths, but I instead need to leave Ilum and find ways to manipulate the galactic chaos to new Sith advantage, Malgus thought, surveying the distant battle just now underway.

One of the Force signatures among the fighting felt somehow ... familiar, and Malgus zeroed in on a female Jedi wielding a double-bladed yellow lightsaber, in the beginnings of battle meditation, her Force presence akin to -

Shan! The woman is a descendant of that accursed Satele Shan! A challenge worthy of honing my skills against, Malgus decided, beginning to break into Force speed to close the distance.

He halted briefly, though, sensing a muddied, powerful Force signature - even stronger than most on the battlefield - shot through with light and dark, conflicted with a familiar taint to its' darker impulses.

A Sith - fallen from the dark, 'redeemed,' but still close to the dark side - that man, Malgus realized, seeing a tall, dark-haired man with a purple lightsaber in the midst of the fighting.

The Sith warrior had his targets.

He just had a battle between him and them.

-------------------------

to be continued ...

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    riveting action and a fascinating encounter

8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...was I reading this, before I accidentally (and kind of on purpose) took a three year vacation from fan fiction that wasn't actually intentional? I don't remember, and it doesn't matter. I know I was reading some part of the story arc, and that's what matters. I'm back now, so let's do this...

Luke sending Kyp on a mission that sends him EVERYWHERE else... oh Lord. So, so loved that layered conversation. (Would also love, at some point, to see Kyp with many toddlers... or maybe that's me having put up with Sims toddlers for a year intentionally. Basically: Kyp Durron needs to be a DAD. Eventually. I'll settle for him having to deal with this rag-tag group, tho. I love them already. Hee.)

...did I miss an entire story-arc involving Jaina, Jagged Fel, and GANNER? Also... yay babies!!!!

The new astromech... she/it is adorable. Still uncertain why he had to switch, but... yeah. I'll leave it adorable.

LT Moonskimmer's intro... hee. They're going on a SECRET MISSION for Jedi Reasons, but the politicos want a non-Jedi present to be a spy. Hah! (And Kyp doesn't want to put up with a toddler? Is he sure? In some ways, that's easier.)

Also... Pellaeon is ALWAYS a win. A win, I say! (Even if I constantly spell his name wrong... ack...)

And the end-scene? Yeah. Lots of stuff going on with our so-far-unidentified hunter. And the Vong, of course - but that'll be a slow burn.

Ah. The BEST kind.

Mali'yana gave Kyp a seriously? look - until Aliste' and HK-47 ran over, the former with real concern, the latter with an air of "Exclamation: I missed carnage? Master, how COULD you do this without me?!" "Master Durron, are you all right?" Aliste' asked.

The Twi'lek slicer gave HK a positively fascinated glance, then grinned and shook Kyp's hand. "I'm in," she said.

I would be too, in her shoes. Heee!!!!!

...because it's a you story (LONG, but I love you for that)... this will be an in-motion review. More to come. :)

Edit... I made the mistake of reading bit upwards on this page six... DALAA is in this story? Am intrigued and it'll probably make sense when I get here...

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  9. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Daena: Glad to see you back! [:D]:D I had roughly a 15-month break in my own ability to post (long story), so I'm finally catching up on this. :)

Kyp's still trying to get his own life together, but the future is always in motion. :) AFA Jaina's situation, there's links on the first page of this 'fic, but I can send you links if you want.

Zero is actually Kyp's astromech from Legends during the NJO; he was a neurotic, philosophically obsessed droid that clashed with Kyp's more action-based stance, so Kyp decided to take advantage here to get a more amendable astromech. Qewpee was a bit more active in the first version of this 'fic (long-since truncated [face_waiting]), but she'll still play a critical part here.

Nat and Aliste are proving to be fun - I rather enjoyed Carth and Bastila's banter during KOTOR, and the idea of them pairing off always seemed more interesting than Revan and Bastila (not that I dislike R/B) ... but maybe I've given a bit away. :p

Mali'yana and Korlo are also fun - they're a decided nod to Mission Vao and Zaalbar (tbf, this whole fic is a KOTOR homage, but expect a few curveballs as things progress), but Mali's also old enough that she's not the kid sister of the group, like Mission was. Plus, Ewoks are always fun. :D

And, HK - since I revived him in this timeline, how could I not have him come along? [face_rofl]

Daala will play a very unexpected role, coming soon (in the next update, in fact!). She's changed somewhat since her Second Imperium days ...

Thanks for the review - I'll watch for more. :D

- Thanks,
    Onderon1

10. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: More of the Battle of Ilum, and a long-overdue confrontation - a heads-up for some violence (nothing overly graphic, but just FYI ...).

Plus ... Natasi Daala, bad-shebs!? :eek:

-----------------------
    28.5 ABY:
    Temple Grounds,
    Ilum, Wild Space:
    -----------------------

Kyp had heard of the Battle of Dantooine - the sheer cost in lives, the relentlessness of the Vong's slave armies - but he hadn't been there.

Now - even having survived the chaos that had been the Liberation of Coruscant - he could appreciate just how overwhelming the Dantooine fight had been.

The Vong's all-male slave army - new Slayers? their presences were an odd hybrid in the Force, mingled and hard to read - wore blood-red cloakers with armor plates grafted on, some kind of miniature volcano cannon on their right arm and a barbed blade in their left hands. Their cloakers' cowls were raised like a form of helmet, while their gnullith breath masks hid all of their faces except for their eyes.

The eyes were disturbingly human, blue or brown, full of hatred and pain - but their owners' silence was the eeriest thing of all.

Daala's troops weren't sitting around, though. While the slave army's pseudo-uniforms were somewhat effective at blocking blaster fire, concentrated crossfires - or the E-Webs - were thinning the attackers' numbers bit by bit.

But not fast enough, and while the Imperials had vibroweapons for when the fighting got close, the Vong-slaves had viciousness and numbers. And there weren't enough Jedi or Imperial Knights to balance the melee side of the fight.

Time to even things out, Kyp thought, nodding to Aliste'. The Talravin-born Jedi took a deep breath and sat on her cloak, concentrating, and after a moment, something reinvigorated Kyp and his mix of allies.

As for the Vong-slaves, they became a bit less coordinated, but not enough to call what was happening a rout yet. The fight wasn't over.

Time to fix that, Kyp thought, glancing at where Daala was riding her tauntaun and cutting down Slayers with her cavalry saber, a platoon or two of her troops backing her up. She was actually laughing, and saluted Kyp as he nodded - then he glanced at Jarin Krieg.

There weren't too many of the Imperial Knights left; the 7 who'd been left behind at the first landing as a reserve for Krieg's 5 hadn't shown up, and it was likely they'd been ambushed. Their Force presences were gone, at least.

With Cem Fel safely aboard the Night Shrike helping with repairs, that left 3 Knights (including Krieg) and a full-grown Squire to rally the Imperial lines.

But they did well, taking down more than their share of Slayers, and Krieg saluted Kyp before plunging into another cohort of Slayers. Kyp couldn't help but admire the younger man's sheer refusal to give up, and he smirked.

That just left him and his group - and Miko.

"HK-47, guard Aliste' and kill anything Vong-like that tries to hurt her or shut down her battle meditation. 'Nera, Korlo, harass the enemy - stay mobile, give the Imperials any relief you can," Kyp ordered, taking his lightsaber from his belt and squinting into the fray, trying to pinpoint - there.

A black-clad shadow among the blood-red Slayers was giving one of Krieg's Knights a hard time, and Dalonera put a hand on Kyp's shoulder. "Go. We'll do what we can," she said through her helmet, and Kyp smiled.

He put on a burst of Force-speed, then, and managed to block Miko's downstroke before his enslaved apprentice could kill the bloodied, overwhelmed Imperial Knight. The red-and-black-armored younger man spun out of the fight, giving Kyp a grateful nod, and moved to support some snowtroopers.

"Durron. Interfering again where you are not wanted," growled Miko - or "Vu'asa," as the Vong had programmed him to think of himself as. He and Kyp exchanged swift blows, neither giving ground - they knew each other too well.

"You know me. Annoying blister that keeps forcing change, messing things up - like this," Kyp insisted, shifting his Force-focus inwardly.

He'd tried outdueling Miko before, had tried talking to him - but he hadn't done everything he could, used all the cards in his sabaac hand.

Kyp reached down the old Master-Padawan bond he'd had with Miko, a sensation not unlike sticking his hand into a jar full of broken glass - a mix of his pain and Miko's, and into the younger man's twisted, contorted psyche.

Pleasant? No.

But Kyp had felt worse, after Exar Kun left.

He pulled up all the good memories he had of Miko - the younger man's successes in training, humorous moments, scenes of Miko laughing with Octa and being caught with her on the roof of the Yavin praxeum.

The shock that went through Miko clashed directly with the Vu'asa-mind, and Kyp pleaded, ~Come back. You're stronger than this.~

Something - a bowed, battered shape in chains, hunched in a cage of Yuuzhan Vong programming - looked up and whimpered, ~I can't. What I've done - no one will forgive -~

Kyp just smiled and held out a hand, replying, ~I killed a planet, Miko. And people gave me a second chance. Hell, you asked me to teach you - me, the Butcher of Carida. Not saying it's easy, but it just needs a first step.~

Something like hope flickered in the mental Miko's eyes, and he reached through the bars, taking Kyp's hand - and the elder Jedi poured healing energy, a gentle white fire, over the bond, as the cage and chains started to break -

- and Kyp was thrown back into his body, watching Miko shudder, then scream.

Kyp's old apprentice tore off his gnullith, panting, and blood dripped from his nose as he dropped his freaky Vong-saber ... but there was a light in Miko's bloodshot, teary eyes that made Kyp grin, and Miko smiled thinly in reply.

"Master - Kyp, look out!" Miko shouted, horror in his expression, and Kyp barely managed to dodge a green-bile-dripping sword that would've sunk itself into his back.

Its' wielder was a furious-looking female Yuuzhan Vong with a headdress twitching with tendrils, a scar on her forehead similar to the one Tahiri Veila still bore. The Master Shaper wore an armored cloaker similar to Miko's and the Slayers, and she levelled her nasty-looking weapon at guard as she bared her teeth.

"Borja Kwaad, I presume?" Kyp rumbled - wishing he didn't feel like he'd just gone 10 rounds with a buffed-up Weequay.

"Durron. You have interfered in business that does not concern you, once again," Kwaad shot back in surprisingly Core-accented Basic, a look of contempt - then outrage - in her eyes as she saw Miko stand with defiance.

Kyp rolled his eyes and jabbed his index finger of his free hand at the Shaper, yelling, "Hello, evil schutta!? You're the one trying to repeat your psycho relative's enslavement shavit, with not just one, but both of my apprentices! And what's with the Slayer army rerun!? You have NO room to throw shade, sweetheart! Back THAT noise RIGHT the kriff up, NOW!"

He gave the shocked-silent Borja his best contemptuous glare, grinning as Miko began to laugh - a real, deep laugh, a cleansing laugh.

The Master Shaper took a step back, her fury turning to horrified realization - her pet jeedai had broken his leash - as heavy footsteps raced past her, a crazed tauntaun running by.

And then she barely dodged a leaping Daala.

"BORJA KWAAD! In the name of the Galactic Empire, moral decency, and my own personal LOATHING for your sick philosophies, stand down or be executed for crimes against the galaxy!" Natasi Daala exclaimed, her vibrosaber clashing with Borja's - well, venom sword.

Kyp could only gape in shock as Daala dueled Borja Kwaad with amazing skill, neither woman giving ground easily. Droplets of emerald poison dripped from the Master Shaper's blade, causing steam to rise from the snow where they fell, but Daala just grinned as Kwaad slowly realized she was losing.

The Master Shaper snapped something in Yuuzhan Vong, and Kyp cursed as the closest few dozen Slayers turned their murderous attention on their small clearing. Miko gave Kyp a warning look, but Daala shouted, "DROP!"

Kyp and Miko dove, and Kyp watched as Daala pulled off her eyepatch to reveal a lifelike prosthetic eye - glowing green - and Kwaad rolled away with a foul-sounding Vong phrase.

Daala cackled as eight tiny tributary beams merged centimeters in front of her artificial iris, and she whipped her head around as a wave of coherent green light followed her gaze.

The micro-turbolaser blast sliced through the battlefield, scattering Slayers and sending up a stormcloud of debris, and Daala hit her knees.

"Can't - do that more than once a day; the eye's power cell is consumed," she admitted, wary but slowly smiling as Miko helped her stand - Kyp could only stare in disbelief as he rose.

"You have a freaking MINI-DEATH STAR in your HEAD!? I've heard of carrying mementos with you, but isn't that just a little risky?!" Kyp snarked, as terrified as he was impressed (not that he was going to admit that to Daala, of all people - he had a reputation to maintain).

Daala rolled her organic eye, starting to speak until Miko shuddered, and Kyp whispered in his ex-apprentice's ear, "Get to the Night Shrike. Tell them I said the password is 'mange.' They'll understand. Have Buan, the Mrlssi, look you over, then get some rest."

"Thanks, Mas - Kyp," Miko managed, returning Kyp's back-slap before running off. Kyp wiped his eyes, daring Daala to snark as she stared.

Then, a green-dripping blade pierced Daala's shoulder, and a camoflauged Borja Kwaad kicked the admiral in the back, hissing.

"Call my works 'sick,' will you, you poor imitation of Nom Anor," Borja spat, whistling. Something like a large furred lizard ran up, and she leapt atop the creature, mockingly saluting Kyp before riding back into the Vong lines.

Kyp caught Daala as she fell, starting to shiver, and she smiled weakly as she breathed, "Arch - irony - dying in the arms of the man who probably hates me the most -"

"No way some stupid Vong toxin takes down the dread pirate Daala," Kyp tried to reassure her, focusing what energy he could on healing - he'd learned the technique on Ukio, but it wasn't doing enough to stop the damage.

An armored figure shot past, strafing Slayers, and Kyp waved hurriedly as Dalonera caught sight of him. She landed, dropping to one knee beside Kyp and tilting her head in surprise.

"No time to banter - Borja Kwaad stabbed her with some kind of kriffing venom blade. I can put Daala in a Force trance, but she needs antitoxin fast. Get her to Buan while I try to explain this craziness to our allies and see about rallying our troops," Kyp asked.

Dalonera watched as Kyp turned back to Daala and said, "I'm going to have to ask you for your trust. Crazy, right?"

"You're - trying to save me. Light-years past crazy. Do what you need to," Daala said, her breath coming with more difficulty now, and Kyp gently closed her eyes, then focused.

He managed to nudge Daala into a healing slumber, her body's defenses rallying against the poison, and he handed her to Dalonera. The Mandalorian nodded, gently lifting off and flying Daala toward the Shrike.

That just left Kyp among a bunch of dead Slayers, looking about for Imperials to lead.

Which ranks about sixth on the 'Insanely Unlikely Accomplishments of Kyp Durron Hit Parade' for today, the snark side of the Force cackled, and Kyp couldn't help but grin.

Then he felt it - a toxic flash of hatred turned to power beneath the chaos, and he spun.

Something the size of a runt gundark, wearing antiquated but functional black and grey armor and a tattered black cape, walked toward him. The being was bald, with a respirator mask, and yellow-orange eyes locked onto Kyp's gaze as the newcomer squeezed a lightsaber hilt in his right hand, making it spit a crimson blade.

"The Sith Lord I've been sensing. Well, this saves some time. My name is Kyp Durron. I don't suppose this can wait until we kill a few hundred more Yuuzhan Vong slaves? Maybe the enemy of my enemy is my friend, at least for a little bit?" Kyp offered.

(It wasn't likely, but the last few minutes had set new records in the impossibility books.)

The Sith squinted, radiating banked aggression, and rumbled like a podracer engine, "I felt your confused struggle when I surveyed the field. You were Sith, but you defy your feelings. You joke in combat, try to lighten the mood. I find it ... demeaning, worthy of contempt."

Kyp shrugged, igniting his lightsaber. "I had to try. And for what it's worth, if you don't like backtalk, I gotta warn you, I am a Master of the smart mouth side of the Force. Your whole helmetless Vader motif isn't impressive," he opined, tip-saluting his foe and smirking.

The Sith Lord snorted in contempt, his free hand forming a fist as a Slayer tried to stab him. The unfortunate slave was yanked into the air, choking, and Kyp winced.

"I do not know, nor do I care, about this 'Vader' you speak of, Jedi jester," the Sith hissed, tossing the now-dead Slayer aside.

"I am Darth Malgus, and you are a dead fool."

Kyp's jaw dropped a little - he'd read Tionne's report on the Third Galactic War, the one between the Old Republic and a resurgent Sith Empire led by a deranged Sith Emperor. Malgus had been among the deadliest of the Sith Lords of the era, a powerful Sith Warrior.

Note to self: Maybe check your mouth at the door before ticking off a Sith again? he thought, sinking into a Juyo pose.

Malgus arched an eyebrow, his contemptuous stance shifting as he tensed. "Juyo - a hunter's lightsaber form. Perhaps you aren't as pathetic as I first thought," the ancient Sith backhandedly praised, and Kyp shrugged.

"Never know until you try. I've been almost any number of shades of pathetic over the years. But you didn't come for my one-man stage show - let's dance, Darth Overslept," Kyp shot, throwing a crazed grin behind his insult.

Malgus roared, Kyp yowled, and they rushed toward each other.

to be continued ...

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    For the record, Kyp rocks! :* [face_love] Daala isn't too bad either. :p =D=

12. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: The Battle for Ilum continues, with some more surprises, Kyp v. Malgus pt. 1, and the fate of one of the BBEGs ...

28.5 ABY:
    Temple Grounds,
    Ilum, Wild Space:

While freeing Miko from Vong programming had been mentally taxing, Kyp had recovered fast enough from it, thanks to the Force.

Ilum wasn't entirely frozen, unlike Rhen Var - there were sparse forests and life-forms, although nobody would pretend the planet was a vacation spot - so there was Force energy to draw upon and reinvigorate him.

The problem was, Malgus could use it, too.

And all that sheer mass isn't just for show, either, Kyp admitted, wishing not for the first time that he'd diversified his lightsaber styles a bit more; Malgus was pounding at him.

Juyo was great for offense, but against a Djem So master - and Sith Lord or not, the ancient Sith Warrior had no problem using Jedi lightsaber techniques - it wasn't as helpful as a little Soresu knowledge would have been.

The expansion of the three rings of defense to the rediscovered Old Order's classic styles had been embraced by Luke's Jedi.

It was how Kyp even knew about Juyo, although he'd picked up the Juyo form as part of his crash course in lessons from Exar Kun, and hadn't learned its true nature for a few years until Tionne found the details in holocron and Luke's copy of The Jedi Path.

None of that walk down memory lane was exactly helping Kyp right at the moment, and he knew he had to change the tempo before Malgus threw away any pretense of style in exchange for brute, dark-side-fueled wrath.

"You do not focus, Durron. I do not appreciate being ignored when I face a foe," the Sith rumbled, small crackles of lightning flickering around his hands; evidently, just having a respirator didn't make it enough of a risk to attempt Force lightning.

"Oh, you have my full attention, big fellow," Kyp emphasized, doing a backflip and concentrating - this wasn't going to be easy.

He managed to catch Malgus in a forward lunge, and telekinetically magnified a gust of icy wind into a miniature vortex that tossed the Sith into a tumble - and unable to strike.

"COWARD!" Malgus accused, but Kyp wasn't offended; he was quite happy to pummel his opponent into senselessness, then cuff him and find a Force cage or something to lock him up.

"Don't really have all day for some Mustafar-level dueling, Malgus. Besides, I don't get to show off very much," Kyp tried to joke, keeping his concentration on the Force whirlwind.

Then, he heard a whistling, and looked up.

A huge Yuuzhan Vong cruiser was visible, dropping landing pods, and Kyp's stomach flipped; the Vong had reinforcements.

Worse, Malgus took that moment to let off a Force blast, disrupting Kyp's mini-tornado. The shock staggered Kyp, but he managed to get to guard position as Malgus tensed.

The good news, such as it was, was that the Sith Lord's armor was battered, and Malgus had cuts and bruises from debris kicked up by the whirlwind. It wasn't much, but at least he could be hurt.

Then Malgus launched a burst of Force lightning at Kyp, who barely managed to deflect it. "Your skills are considerable, but you play too much at tricks," Malgus snapped.

Kyp glanced at where the new Yuuzhan Vong troops disembarked - actual Vong warriors, which would make the fighting even worse for Daala's forces - before he growled, "You have a really distorted set of priorities."

"These Forceless abominations called 'Yuuzhan Vong' will not stand against the dark side. Prove to me you are more than a whetstone to freshen my skills upon, and perhaps I will let you live to fight them alongside me," Malgus offered, waving a hand toward the battlefield.

Kyp was about to give that offer the snark it deserved, when the Force suddenly screamed at him to be anywhere else, and he rolled.

It wasn't a volcano cannon burst - Kyp was sure he'd be dead if it had been - but it certainly hit Malgus as effectively as any plasma bolt.

The Sith roared in fury, smoking as his armor bubbled from heat, and he stood in a small crater as Kyp looked around in confusion.

An RPG? Kyp wondered, looking over his shoulder as several figures sprinted to him through the wrecked battlefield - help, maybe.

He didn't have time to focus on them, as a still-hot fist grabbed the front of his robes and shook him, and Malgus rasped, "Cheater."

This is the problem with fighting someone with an old-school sense of honor, Kyp's mind giggled inappropriately as he tried to angle his lightsaber in defense.

At least, if he'd been holding his lightsaber.

Malgus, on the other hand, still had his crimson blade, and was ready to spit Kyp with it. The only saving grace was that the Sith's respirator mask was almost loose, and looked damaged - if Kyp could just reach it, he could turn this.

Of course, that was when Malgus lunged.

-------------------

Dalonera had managed to get Daala back to the Shrike, and Buan didn't argue as he injected the admiral with antitoxin for the Vong poison. "Get her into a bunk - we can't leave her out here," the Mrlssi told the Mandalorian.

Dalonera nodded, carrying the still-unconscious Imperial aboard as Mali'yana looked at the battlefield in dismay; she'd exited the Shrike to check the patching on the back quarter.

The interior was almost fixed, although it'd still need a good going over at a decent shipyard, but Ejen, Cem and Qewpee were as good a work crew, and the Twi'lek smiled as Buan muttered, "Damnit, I'm a xenobiologist, not a battlefield triage specialist ... where's Durron?"

"Statement: I will attempt to locate Master Durron with my sniper-mode optical upgrade," HK-47 said, slowly scanning the renewed conflict. The Imperials were holding for the moment, but those Vong warriors would be in range all too soon for Mali'yana's liking.

I hope Korlo's all right, she thought, watching Armitage Hux glare at HK, then give Aliste' a thoughtful glance - the battle meditation specialist was deep in tune with the Force. Hux's personal guard stood with him, Phasma looking at the fighting through electrobinoculars and occasionally commenting on the mess.

The silver-armored stormtrooper sergeant said, "The new arrivals are full-fledged Yuuzhan Vong warriors. In the numbers I estimate they're in, our forces will soon be overrun."

Mali'yana started to snap back, but blinked as Ejen stuck his head out of the hold, frowning. "We're ready to go, Qewpee thinks - but we can't leave Master Kyp, or Jysella. And I'm feeling something getting close," the boy said, his hand on his discblade as he looked around.

Several things happened all at once, then - first, HK yelled, "Exclamation: DARTH MALGUS!?" before he opened his right wrist and fired a rocket, then ran into the conflict.

Dalonera stuck her head out of the Shrike, as close to a look of fear in her eyes as Mali'yana had ever seen from her, and she ran after HK, shouting, "Stay with the Shrike! If HK's right, we have to kill Malgus or we're all dead, no matter how many Vong there are!"

Ejen looked like he wanted to go after them, but he spun as a bloodied, parka-clad figure stumbled out of the snow - and Mali'yana recognized Orfax Rask, just barely.

The elder Rask looked like he'd been wrecked - his nose was bloody, and he rambled as he pointed at Mali'yana and cursed, "You! Gorboga wants you in exchange for my nephew, you Twi'lek -"

He was yanked back by a dark-clad figure - a human man in a Vong cloaker - who held his hands up as Hux's troops trained their weapons on him. "Wait, please! I'm not with the Vong anymore - Kyp said I should say 'mange,'" he said, frowning as he released Orfax from his Force-grip.

Hux looked wary, but Buan nodded as Ejen said, "I think it's OK - he feels free in the Force. I remember him from Daluuj - he's Miko Reglia."

"Durron's first, enslaved apprentice? If he's been working for the Vong, how can we trust him just at his word?" Hux demanded.

He blinked as the Taslars walked from the Temple, and Master Taslar squinted hard at Miko, who gulped and nodded. After a moment, the older Cathar said, "I remember you from before, Miko - you're free."

Kyp's crew relaxed, and Miko smiled weakly before kneeling before Buan, who said, "I can't just let you aboard - you understand."

"Of course. While you test me, I'll let you know what I can of the Yuuzhan Vong plans," the former slave said, frowning as he looked at the Vong cruiser overhead. "A troop carrier - probably another thousand warriors."

"So ... we need a minor miracle - hey!" Mali'yana shouted as Orfax lunged -

And the Zeison Sha slaver was shot, once.

Ejen looked on in horror as his uncle fell over dead, and Hux lowered his blaster, returning Mali'yana's glare. "No one locked him up," the lieutenant snapped as Nat appeared at the ramp with his blaster drawn.

The Imperial pilot snapped, "Knock it off, Hux. Your free fire's putting us all at risk. Ejen ..."

The teen shuddered, and Mali'yana put a hand on his shoulder as she said, "We'll take his body with us, bury it where you want. We're here for you."

"Th-thanks," Ejen said, his smile quavering. Mali'yana hugged him, returning Miko's nod as they stared at Hux, and Karina ran into the Temple while her father knelt beside Orfax.

"May you find peace, Orfax Rask," Master Taslar said, closing Orfax's eyes as the battle rumbled, and Mali'yana watched Karina return with a blanket to cover the body.

I just hope we don't join Orfax too soon, Mali'yana thought, watching the Vong reinforcements engage the Imperial line.

----------------------

The Force was loud, and red, and angry.

But I can't be afraid - or at least, I can't let the fear control me, Jysella thought as she found her way to the surface and shielded her eyes against the blowing snow.

She gasped as she saw the fighting - it was awful, but at least it wasn't right near her - and she looked around as Millicent peeked out of Jysella's parka. "It's a mess," Jysella said.

Then, she felt someone's anger, and spun to see a bald man in armor holding Master Durron up by the throat, a red lightsaber aimed at the Jedi Master's chest.

"NO!" Jysella shouted, pushing - she had to try something, to help Master Durron!

The Force shove surprised the - Sith? He looked like a darksider, with his dark armor and yellow-orange eyes - and he dropped Master Durron, who yelled, "Jysella!?"

"Brave child, but - what!?" the Sith shouted, as Millicent leapt from Jysella's parka, sprinted across the snow, and jumped at the Sith.

The pitten knocked off the Sith's breath mask, and he wheezed, while Millicent ran back to Jysella - and Master Durron grinned.

"Force-pitten! AHAHAHA! And now I have you, you overblown jerk!" Master Durron yelled, grabbing the Sith's arm and concentrating.

Something flickered in the Force, and the Sith wobbled, hitting his knees, as Ms. Milthiad and HK-47 ran up, and Jysella gasped, "What -?"

"Observation: I believe Master Durron may be using the rare Force power Morichro to put Darth Malgus into a trance," HK said, almost sounding - awed?

Malgus' eyes rolled back in his head, and he fell over asleep as Master Durron laid back, panting. "Not wanting to do that again any time soon ... thanks for the save," he said, as Ms. Milthiad helped him to stand.

He nodded at Jysella, who blushed as she picked up Millicent and said, "I'm just glad I could help, Master. But you stopped the Sith."

"After you and that wild pitten saved my shebs. I'll never complain about you stowing away again," Master Durron said, half-smiling until loud booms made everyone look up.

More Yuuzhan Vong pods were falling, and Ms. Milthiad frowned, saying, "We have Jysella. Time to go."

"Yeah, but we can't leave Malgus - I know, he's Sith, but we can't leave him for the Vong's tender mercies," Master Durron said, lifting Malgus telekinetically.

They broke into a run, and Jysella hoped they could get to the Night Shrike in time.

-----------------------

to be continued ...

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  14. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    The in-motion review continues...

The rest of him just flashed back to cold, and pain, and confusion, and the ringing question:

Why was I left alone?

Now that I know who this is... oh, Miko, honey...

What Jade_eyes said about the snark. YES. Yes to all the snark!!!!

... and, so far, things have been more civil between us. I've watched Knight Bynar practice her lightsaber skills - her weapon speciality is the double-bladed lightsaber, which is fairly unique among the New Jedi Order, according to Master Durron.

Is that a seed of love I see there, in the midst of lightsaber skill appreciation? Yay!!!!!!

He smiled, thinking he knew what the problem was, and broached it, saying, "I don't have a problem with aliens -"

One would surely hope not, given what kind of mission this is.

Mali'yana's backstory (and I might have just spelled her name wrong)... yep, I'd hop a ship going other places too, in that case.

...and Korlo suddenly became my favorite in-story Ewok. Hee.

"Clarification: Nevertheless, the Yuuzhan Vong die almost as easily as other organic meatbags. Including any who risk compromising this mission with secret missives back to our putative allies," HK-47 emphasized, leaving Nat alone in the cockpit.

...of course it's the Assassin Droid that catches him. Of course.

It's funny... in the middle of writing a scene, I had question of what they'd have been eating on Hoth, only to realize I'd managed to forget that the Deyer Colony world is in their galactic backyard AND part of theory involved Anoat's sun having a massive solar flare cycle... Fish and Solar Flares, everybody! (This funniness brought to you by Kyp exclaiming to himself "Mother Ocean of Deyer.")

Kleej shook his head, smirking a little like Miko had as an apprentice. "The shaper who protected me was the one who invented the less-damaging kind of yorik coral. I can still think for myself. She let me go when the NRDF and Master Adlusha showed up at the damutek. She treated me like I mattered ... I think she kind of thought of me like her own kid," he finished, a little sad.

Also... today, I want to hug like all the characters. This kid. Goodness.

Aliste' having that bit of personal realization... love, love that!!!!

Edit: Also, I love that you're working in those Sequel Trilogy elements without going overboard.
    ...and I can't find it right now, because I was reading from a tablet and not here on PC, but somewhere on Thread Page Three, there's a "they" instead of "the."

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Onderon1 likes this.
  15. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    :eek: ...honestly, I thought CowGirlJedi was kidding about the teleporting bantha. [face_laugh]

And... dear sweet FORCE, Onderon. [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Daala!!!!! Heee!!!! (I'm reading from a tablet, but... you had me laughing. Seriously.)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  16. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Daena: Thanks for the reply (and sorry I didn't reply sooner - I had a birthday party to attend Saturday [face_party]

After I revived and started rewriting Shores, I realized that Miko - being the first overt jeedai the YV had gotten their hands on (A'Sharad Hett/Krayt was rather under cover at this point, but YMMV) - would be a serious prize for the Praetorite Vong, and likely wouldn't be so easily allowed to die. :(

Fortunately - well, I won't spoil things for you, but Miko doesn't stay in his situation forever ... ;)

And snark. Kyp and snark go together like peanut butter and jelly. :D I'm definitely planning to keep that going throughout the 'fic (including from HK, whose keen optics for human interpersonal relationships will prove ... useful ... :p

Aliste' and Nat - ah, see above? The course of true love never runs smoothly, but ... well, I'll admit I'm a sucker for happy endings. :)

You did spell Mali'yana's name correctly! =D= And glad you like Korlo - he gets some more scenes as things go forward. :cool:

Expect a lot more with Deyer down the line - I'm actually rather proud of that stopover, IMHO. [face_mischief]

Kleej was the result of a question I had once - "What if a semi-sane shaper got ahold of a Force-sensitive?" At some point, after I finish posting this sprawling craziness, I may go back and revisit Kleej's story (the link to his origin story is on page 1 of this thread).

And Bangor!! :D Not only is he canon to Tahiri's story (minus the teleporting - that's my addition :p), I was able to update and repost the story of how he gained his teleportation powers in this AU: https://boards.theforce.net/threads...ango-psylocke-mojo-etc-humor-action.50051779/

Plus - Daala. [face_hypnotized] How could I write a 'fic about Kyp confronting at least some of his past, and not have her show? Hopefully, I'll be able to show that she evolved since the Bantam days, as well ... I'll try to post some more chapters this week (including wrapping up Ilum!).

Later, best, and thanks, :)
    Onderon1

17. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Apologies I haven't updated this much lately - RL's been busy. However, here's the conclusion of the stopover at Ilum (expect an epilogue chapter), including some more on what the renegade YV are up to ...

Heads-up for some (non-graphic) action, and some angst (not much, but there's some).

28.5 ABY:
    Ilum, Wild Space:

Borja Kwaad finally managed to relax as she reached the staging area, and the transport waiting to take her back to Ne'Shel's Grashal.

She handed her riding lizard's reins to a waiting subaltern, and nodded as Efan Rin, a sister to Borja's second in command Ferin Run, bowed to her at the entry portal to the transport.

"Mistress. The focusing crystal has been transferred to Ne'Shel's Grashal, per your commands," the younger female shaper greeted, boarding the craft with Borja.

"Excellent, Efan Rin. I see we have warrior support supplementing our trial Slayer battalion," Borja said, accepting a living light villip connected to a combination qahsa and oggzil - the equivalent of a heretic's datapad, one of Borja's creations after the lifting of the tiresome ban on experimentation in shaping.

"Indeed, Mistress Borja Kwaad. Commander Cheevak Lah - requested that you contact him as soon as possible," Efan said with caution belying her age as she and Borja strapped in for liftoff, and the intendant-pilots nodded.

Borja repressed a sigh - she knew her cousin Kane' Kwaad had few options at present for experienced field commanders, and that her own leading of combat forces on Ilum had been a dangerous personal indulgence.

Durron was just so aggravating, like an incurable rash, and now he'd taken Vua'sa from her ... but her new Slayers were proving themselves. And with the focusing crystal, she could finish the Great Plan at last.

I just wish we had someone besides Cheevak Lah to work with. Fanatics with something to prove are dangerously inflexible, she thought.

The transport rose, and Borja activated her datapad-biot, nodding at the slightly-scarred face of a young male warrior of high rank, his forehead marked with the Domain Lah sigil.

"Master Shaper Borja Kwaad. You are well? Your turn on the Ilum plains did not injure you?" Cheevak Lah asked, his growling voice possessed of a cunning beyond his years - the arrogance of many warriors, and the zeal of his domain, was balanced in him by lessons in politics given by his father, Qurang Lah.

"Yes, Commander Cheevak Lah. I was able to bloody my blade against the heathen admiral Natasi Daala herself in single combat," Borja replied, hiding a smile at the flash of surprise in the warrior's eyes.

He nodded with real respect, but spoiled the gesture by half-smiling as he asked, "And where is the slave-jeedai, Vua'sa? Did he at least die a warrior's death?"

Efan Rin looked nervous, but Borja merely replied, "Vua'sa broke free of his mental constraints - the fail-safes will ensure he pays the ultimate price for his defiance. We have the focusing crystal, which outweighs his loss."

Cheevak Lah looked like he might try to chew through an uncooked yanskac, but again, his political sense outweighed his warrior's arrogance (for now, at least). "And the battle? The uh'maans and their allies are holding their own against your biot-slaves," he observed, rather than accused, hiding his contempt well.

Borja wasn't quite able to hide her patronizing smile as she replied, "These new Slayers are but prototypes for the finished products to be completed through the Great Plan. Ilum was a test of their abilities. I have no illusions that they are the equivalent of real Yuuzhan Vong warriors - we need slaves for battle fodder. You and your battalion can now earn honor on the field - you may even come across Durron."

Cheevak Lah's left eye twitched in anger, but he forced a thin smile and said, "We - appreciate your beneficience in leaving us foes to fight."

"May Yun-Yammka guide your weapons, Cheevak Lah. Borja Kwaad out," Borja said, grateful that the conversation was over. Young warriors who sought to avenge their fallen ancestors and sullied (if not actually Shamed) domains were the worst to put up with.

"Mistress, I -" Efan Lah began to ask, glancing up at the cockpit before Borja gave her an understanding, and approving, nod. The adept had both courage to question, and wisdom to use caution when questioning.

"Cheevak Lah is ambitious, as any warrior barely out of training should be. His temperance - impressive though it is for one so young - is still out of balance to his caste's traditional arrogance toward the shapers and other castes. He sees slights where none are intended, and thus, seethes until he can transfer his righteous fury to battle. He merely needs victories, and to hone his cunning, in order to grow and rise," Borja explained as temperately as she could.

(Yes, Borja did think warriors were generally headstrong fools, but she was wiser than to voice such opinions - especially with intendants piloting her transport.)

Efan Rin relaxed, nodding as she replied, "Thank you, Mistress, for your wisdom. I have other news for you from Ferin Rin. The asteroid site for the Great Plan has been secured, and geological analysis indicates it meets or exceeds our specifications for the weapon," she said as the sky outside the viewing membrane turned from grey to star-riddled black.

Borja nodded, gesturing for a moment's hesitation as she watched the space battle.

The Fist of Lah, Cheevak Lah's frigate analogue and portable base, was over the battlefield, providing fire support for the scion of Domain Lah and his troops. TIE fighters from Daala's Star Destroyer Chimaera were trying to punch through the frigate's point defenses and coralskipper flights, to little success. The Chimaera hung nearby, trying to fight off skips, but Borja was satisfied to see several blackened spots on the infamous Star Destroyer.

Almost out of visible range, gunship analogues and coralskipper waves that had provided an escort for Ne'Shel's Grashal were engaged in a slugfest with an enormous Imperial Star Destroyer, painted darker and easily twice as large as the Chimaera. They hung over a large black scar in Ilum's surface, where the titanic focusing crystal had been excavated; skips and TIEs duelled over that site as well.

The transport that had lugged the crystal into orbit was docked with Ne'Shel's Grashal - itself a massive floating fortress, not a worldship but large enough and varied enough inside for Borja's needs. Her flagship looked unharmed, and she nodded in approval as her transport entered one of its docking bays.

Only then did Borja nod for Efan Lah to continue, as they unbuckled from the safety webbing, and the adept said, "The uh'maan colt captured during the battle with the Imperial jeedai has undergone first-stage processing. All necessary samples have been procured. He has an ooglith, nourishment, and a rest-cell, and awaits you when you are ready."

"Very good. I doubt he will be a replacement for Vua'sa, but an additional cell line for the Slayers will aid in genetic variation. And the colt may prove useful as a servant," Borja considered as they left the docking bay for the storage chamber - she wanted an up-close analysis of the focusing crystal before departure (the last thing she wanted to risk was having to return to Ilum).

The shapers entered the chamber, and Borja nodded absently as the Praetorite Vong guards and her own shaper adepts, as well as the biots and most trusted (and/or heavily conditioned) slaves greeted her.

Ferin Rin bowed as Borja and Efan joined the male shaper adept on a platform overlooking the titanic pale green Ilum crystal hanging in support webbing over the entrance portal to the storage chamber. Slaves in ooglith cloakers were cleaning the crystal, which was at least as long as two coralskippers, and as wide as one.

Borja allowed herself a moment of undisguised triumph as she drank in the reward for so much effort of her Slayers and fellow Yuuzhan Vong. She turned to Ferin Rin and asked, "How fares the translation of the Rakatan plans for the weapon, and our adaptation for a biot version now that we have a suitable focusing crystal?"

"We near 60 percent translation, Mistress. The reconstruction of the heretic language proceeds, although it is slower than we prefer. The New Republic databanks seized during the conquest of Obroa-Skai hold basic knowledge of the Rakatan language, but the weapon requires specific terms. If we were to acquire more Rakatan artifacts, we could perhaps accelerate the work," Ferin Rin said cautiously.

Borja hid her displeasure, beginning to reply, "We only await construction readouts of the weapon before we can proceed, Ferin Rin. The droid-abomination seized at Utapau is said to contain the readouts -"

She was interrupted as Captain Nevehk Dahn called over the intercom, "All hands to emergency stations! A third heretic Star Destroyer has entered near Ilum space!"

Borja let her frustration show as she replied via villip, "Captain, this is Borja Kwaad. I am aboard Ne'Shel's Grashal. You may depart at once."

Something like relief was visible in Dahn's villip-face, as he nodded and said, "At once, Master Shaper. Shall we return to base?"

"Yes - and attempt to set up a darkspace communication link to Kane' Kwaad. I have a request to make of him regarding our progress on the Great Plan," Borja ordered, glancing at the crystal again.

The villip everted, and Borja met Ferin Rin's gaze. "We will see what my cousin thinks of a visit to ancient Lehon. For now, we will continue our translation, and preparing our slaves for their part in the weapon's creation," she said.

----------------------
    Temple Grounds,
    Ilum Surface:
    ----------------------
    Logically, Kyp knew saving Malgus was foolish.

But logic stinks when it comes to decency, and these Vong aren't just sacrificing Force-users. They're using us - these Slayers read like they were grown from Force-users' cells. Giving an ancient Sith to the Vong isn't just immoral, it's also suicidal, Kyp thought, levitating Malgus with telekinesis as he led Dalonera, HK-47, and Jysella around the battle.

It wasn't the best route, but the newly-arrived Vong warriors were backing up the Slayers, and the Imperials were starting to drop. Besides, even if Kyp, Dalonera and HK blasted their way through the worst fighting, Jysella was hardly an experienced combatant.

"You and your - GRRRR! - jetiise morals!" Dalonera accused, using her flamethrower to discourage some determined Slayers from approaching. "Save Malgus? Malgus?"

"If we keep him under, we can sell him to a museum and you can call it a bounty!" Kyp tried to joke, as HK-47 fired a blaster rifle at some Vong warriors.
    Jysella looked more than a little green, but she managed a little smile as her parka moved, and Millicent poked her head up and mewed.

Kyp tried to give the girl a reassuring look, but he winced as a relatively lesser-scarred, youngish male Vong warrior in full black armor rose over a hill and pointed an amphistaff.

"DURRON! You blasphemous animal! I am Cheevak Lah, nephew of Tsavong Lah, commander of this force of Yuuzhan Vong! I am here to KILL you and your lackeys!" the officer-esque warrior howled in Basic.

Kyp gritted his teeth - he really didn't need some punk Vong with a chip on his shoulder pauldron right now - as HK-47 snapped, "Declaration: How DARE you, you meatbag scum! I am NO 'lackey!' I'm a minion, at least!"

Dalonera facepalmed - which would've been more impressive without her helmet - and Kyp rolled his eyes as he reached for his lightsaber - then gulped as he remembered.

"What?" Dalonera asked, and Kyp blushed.

"I - ah, lost my saber," Kyp admitted.

Cheevak Lah and his dozen or so squadmates sneered, but Jysella gasped and said, "Here! Ezra - the Force-adept who helped me - said I should give this to Master Ahsoka, but you can use it for now, Master Durron!"

She slapped an odd, rectangular lightsaber hilt into Kyp's right hand, and he activated it, confused as a knife-blade of energy sprang into existence. It was somehow black, like it was absorbing light.

Dalonera's reaction was shocking - she gasped almost reverently, and blurted, "The Darksaber!? HERE!?"

Kyp shot her a wide-eyed glance, his jaw dropping as he asked, "The Mandalorian blade of, like, The Mandalores? How -?"

"Kill the punk Vong now, suss out the epic backstory of the weapon later, Kyp'ika," Dalonera ordered, shoving Kyp forward and lugging Malgus' unconscious body over one shoulder; Kyp had to admit, she was right.

Cheevak Lah just rolled his neck and spat, "Whatever blasphemous weapon you wield, Durron, it matters not. I will kill you and the Mandalorian, dismantle that droid abomination that mocks true warriors, and see the jeedai girl either sacrificed or converted."

The threat made Jysella go pale, and Kyp glared at the Vong officer with undisguised loathing.

"You want a piece of me, you loser son of a loser domain? Fine. But you are NOT laying a finger on an innocent girl whose only mistake was stowing away to try and help me and my crew put the galaxy back together," Kyp snarled, angling the Darksaber for battle.

Cheevak Lah howled, tensing - then looked up, his almost ecstatic look of bloodlust failing, while his entire band of flunkies stepped back.

Kyp risked looking over his shoulder, suddenly realizing what the Vong were shocked by - and Jysella squeaked joyfully, "Grandpa!?"

A Star Destroyer - a red one, WAY too close to the surface - had broken through the clouds.

A sudden, bright-green flash at its bow launched something like a small star at the Vong warship hovering over the battlefield - followed by an incredibly loud and messy explosion, as the Vong cruiser listed and tried to flee.

Kyp couldn't help but begin to laugh uproariously, as the Errant Venture poured snubfighters and drop ships from its underside, and drop pods started to rain as well.

Cheevak Lah seethed - until a sudden brown blur slammed into one of his troopers, and the Vong howled, rolling in a death-struggle with a furious Ewok wielding a vibrodagger.

"YUB! Leave friends alone!" Korlo yelled, finishing off the Vong and darting over to Kyp's group, where Jysella hugged him.

Kyp grinned a little, then saw one of the pods crash nearby. It opened, and a massive figure in silvery armor, wielding a two-handed gravity hammer crackling with lightning leapt from the wreckage, pointing at Lah.

"Get the absolute stang away from my granddaughter NOW, scar-boy, or I start cracking crab suits for my dinner and feed your corpses to my friend's vornskrs! YARRR!" the figure boomed - throwing the hammer.

Kyp could only gape as the weapon slammed into the hill where Cheevak Lah's gang stood.

There was a particularly large noise, screams, a lot of flying Vong - and the hammer flew back to Booster Terrik, who laughed as Jysella ran to hug him, while Kyp looked at the hill.

Cheevak Lah was the last of his war party standing, his vonduun crab armor cracked and oozing ichor His goons were scattered about, some twitching amidst the crater, others laying meters away, and some just ... gone.

"OK ... not to, like, look a gift eopie in the mouth or anything, but where did you get a gravity hammer with a shock option?" Kyp's mouth managed; his head was still spinning.

Booster chortled, as a sudden BAMF-A! rang out - and Kyp blinked as things got wilder.

A baby bantha stood there, accompanied by Betsy Braddock, Ahsoka Tano, and Corran, Mirax, and Valin Horn.

Jysella cried in joy as her family greeted her, and Betsy grinned, petting the bantha as she said, "Tahiri visited Tatooine after Anakin recovered from Myrkr, and Bangor went too. It seems that Bangor met some lady banthas. As for the hammer, the Hutts are sharing some of their top-secret weapons."

"We were always going to follow you to Ilum, Master Durron. We just didn't expect the need to be quite so immediate ... and is that the Darksaber?" Ahsoka asked, her eyes widening.

Kyp nodded, glancing over where Cheevak Lah had been standing - unsurprisingly, the blustery punk Vong had fled, and the Galactic Alliance forces helped clear the field. "I probably shouldn't have this," he said, powering down the weapon as Jysella waved.

"Master Ahsoka! I met a man in the caves under the Jedi Temple, named Ezra! He said you'd know who to give the Darksaber to - he couldn't come himself, because he's watching a sort-of-baby-Yoda and the World between Worlds," the girl rambled, and Ahsoka gasped.

"Ezra!? HERE?" the Togruta exclaimed - then, the air simply split, and Kyp and company stared as an embarrassed-looking man a little older than Kyp appeared - carrying a Yoda.

"Uh, hi, Ahsoka ... Lady Braddock, can your bantha friend take us someplace safe? We have a lot to talk about, and I don't want my charge here to get cold or targeted by the Yuuzhan Vong," the man said, returning Ahsoka's hug as Kyp and the others stared.

"I - well, definitely ... Ezra Bridger? Oh, my, this is getting interesting," Betsy said, smiling a bit, and Kyp gave Ahsoka the Darksaber.

"Get them to the Venture, please. I have to find my crew and make sure Daala and Miko are stable - a lot's happened, and a battlefield isn't a place to figure it out," Kyp emphasized.

Corran did a double-take at that, but Mirax gently put a hand over his mouth and nodded to Kyp. "We'll see you there. And Kyp - thanks for watching out for Jysella," Mirax said, smiling as Jysella gave Millicent to Kyp.

"Please make sure she gets back to Lieutenant Hux? And tell Karina ... it was nice to be her apprentice, even for a little while," Jysella said, gulping as Corran looked around, confused.

The bantha disappeared with the Horns, Booster, Betsy, Ahsoka, Ezra and the - well, baby Yoda, as Dalonera commed the Shrike.

Kyp surveyed the ruined battlefield, shaking his head, and tucked Millicent inside his parka. "Is it just me, or was this some kind of cosmic balancing act for how quiet our stop at AST Kikorie was?" he asked.

"Mew," Millicent observed, and Kyp just laughed as the Night Shrike approached, looking haphazardly patched but spaceworthy.

The freighter landed, and Mali'yana waved from the top of the ramp, beaming as Korlo leapt aboard and hugged her. "You're all right! But did you see Jysella?" the Twi'lek slicer asked, her eyes widening as Dalonera heaved Malgus aboard, followed by Kyp and HK-47.

"She's OK. Her family picked her up - where's Hux? I have a delivery to make," Kyp asked, nodding as the ruffled-looking lieutenant sat in a corner of the hold, his left arm in a sling. Phasma kept watch over him, her armor scorched and pitted, while three of Inferno Squad's members were gathered around Daala, who sat at the dejarik table with an IV.

"Millicent!? You found her! Thank you, Master Durron," Hux managed, beaming as Kyp handed the pitten to the lieutenant. Kyp just nodded, following Mali'yana's nod - he could sense grief and worry in the engineering hold.

"Karina insisted on staying with her father at the Temple; she asked us to apologize to Jysella, but she couldn't leave him until she knows he'll be safe. The other two members of Inferno Squad are on the laser cannons ... and we've had some developments of our own," Mali'yana said softly, raising an eyebrow ridge as Dalonera used chains to restrain Malgus.

Kyp followed her to the rear hold, worry taking hold of him as he saw a tearful Ejen kneeling beside a blanket-wrapped form, Cem Fel sitting with him. Across the hold, Tarvis Buan tended to Miko, who'd slid his cloaker's cowl down and "unzipped" the garment partially.

Miko nodded to Kyp, mouthing, "Help the kid first," and Kyp thanked him before dropping to one knee beside Ejen.

The teen tried to smile, but sniffed and said, "Orfax - he was hurt by someone, then he tried to hurt Mali'yana ... a-and Hux shot him ... I just wish ..."

Kyp hugged Ejen, letting his apprentice vent for a while, and after a bit, the teen thanked him. "Let me know what else I can do - you gonna be OK for a little bit?" Kyp asked.

"Yeah ... thanks. You better go check on Miko. D-did you find Jysella?" Ejen asked, wiping his eyes and smiling as Kyp nodded.

"She's safe with her family - you'll meet them in a little while. It's going to be an interesting time, that's for sure," Kyp said, walking over to kneel beside Miko as Buan fussed over him.

Miko was scarred beneath the cloaker, and he was sweating and pale as he clasped Kyp's wrist. "Should've - assumed the Vong wouldn't - just let me go," he murmured, and Kyp gave Buan a worried look.

The Mrlssi glanced at Kyp and said softly, "He's showing signs of implant failure. We have to get him to surgery fast, then bacta."

Kyp's blood chilled, but Miko shook his head and smiled thinly. "Won't - give up, Kyp. Just - if - things go badly ... tell Octa -" he mumbled.

"None of that melodramatic shavit, OK? You'll tell Octa yourself," Kyp insisted, sitting as the Shrike flew to the Errant Venture.

Both of his apprentices, past and present, needed him, and he wasn't going anywhere.

------------------------

to be continued ...

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    YAY FOR KORLO, BOOSTER, AND EZRA & GROGU! [face_laugh] Lots happened in this update and I loved it all! =D=

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    For a sec there, I legit almost thought Betsy had somehow arranged for Thor to show up.

You've been hanging around gizkaspice, haven't you?:p

Also, Ahsoka and the Darksaber showing up is a win.

20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    I get the feeling that I'm going to have to add gizkaspice to my list of catch up reading...

And yay for more of that Deyer storyline! For now, tho... it seems my master would love some feedback. Where DID I put that padawan robe? **marches off to find it**

21. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner - had issues logging in for some reason. :rolleyes:

WarmNyota: I'm glad you liked the ending. :D As Cowgirl points out, I wanted to homage Thor (and a bit of Odin, given that Booster only has one real eye :p); however, if Thor did show up, it would likely disrupt the timeline ... [face_whistling] (And spoil things I'm far from ready to spoil. ;))

I've heard of gizkaspice, but I'm not familiar with works by said writer. :8)

There'll be a bit more with Ezra and Grogu going forward, but not as much as I'd thought might happen (this was written before Season 2 of The Mandalorian, and being an AU, there'd be a different ending anyway).

Daena, Cowgirl: Thanks for your replies. :) The fallout from Ilum's events will take a few chapters to shake out entirely (at one point, it was to be the last stopover on Kyp's trip, but Tython looms much larger, for reasons that will eventually become clear).

For now, however, a update, as Karina gets a look in again, some farewells are said, more is revealed about Borja Kwaad's increasingly dangerous plan - heads up for some Vongishness and background after-battle messiness (nothing graphic, but it's there) ...

------------------------
    28.5 ABY:
    Jedi Temple,
    Ilum, Wild Space:
    ------------------------

The grounds outside the Temple itself were a wreck - torn-up landscape, werckage, and bodies (although the native gorgodons were taking advantage of the conflict's end to clean up more than a bit of the mess, for good or ill)

Still, once the Yuuzhan Vong forces were routed (or, more tragically likely, slain - both the Slayers and their warrior reinforcements had almost universally fought to the death), Karina had scoured the battlefield and found what she'd been looking for.

And I found the courage to really talk with my dad, she reminded herself, smiling as she found him talking excitedly with Masters Braddock and Horn, while the first of the new Knights and Padawans who'd help her dad secure the ancient Temple set up their quarters.

"... it'll be good to finally have some company besides B3 - not that he hasn't helped me a great deal, but Ilum has been lonely," Marik Taslar said, returning Karina's smile as she bowed to the on-site members of the High Council, and they nodded back to her.

Master Horn looked around in a bit of awe, but he blushed as the other Jedi caught his tension. "Sorry. I wish I was in a better mindset to appreciate the history here, but there's a lot on my mind," the Corellian Jedi said.

"No need to apologize, Master Horn. After all the events of the last day or so, I understand your need to return to the Errant Venture. I hear there's an emergency session of the High Council planned to address said matters," Dad said, and Master Braddock nodded.

"The rescue of Miko Reglia, Imperial interests in the Ilum system, why the renegade Yuuzhan Vong's Master Shaper was here, these new Slayers, the return of Ezra Bridger, the capture of Darth Malgus, and an apparent new member of Yoda's species ... we've got quite a bit to discuss," the purple-haired telepath agreed, giving Karina a knowing nod.

Karina tried not to let her fur ripple - the Cathar equivalent of a blush - as she gently put a hand on her dad's shoulder. "Excuse me, please, Masters, but I need a few moments with my father," she asked, and the older Jedi nodded.

Master Horn smiled warmly and added, "Take all the time you need, Karina. And thanks for helping Jysella with lessons on the trip here. She lit up when she told us about you."

"Glad to help, Master. Jysella's a good kid, and I'd like to talk to you and Mrs. Terrax-Horn about her before the Council meeting," Karina asked. Master Horn looked a little confused, but nodded, and Karina followed her dad into a small side chamber that served as a study area.

They hugged, and Dad smiled as he said, "I'm so proud of you, Karina. Master Stast's teachings have served you well, and you fought well and bravely during the Temple's defense. You've come far in just a few years."

He looked guilty, then, but Karina held his gaze and said in her gentlest voice, "I was angry with you for a while after you left, but not any more. It took me fighting the Yuuzhan Vong, then investigating the First Order, and now my work with Master Durron, to appreciate the need of your work. There's some problems that the galaxy can't solve without Jedi - and someone needs to teach how to be a Jedi."

Dad's face softened, and Karina hugged him again as they laughed and cried a little. Finally, Karina stepped back, as Dad looked at her sadly and asked, "You can't stay, can you?"

"I want to. And I'll come back to visit - but the mission to visit the other praxia isn't done. And something - maybe my instincts, maybe the Force - tells me Master Durron and the others will need me ... and someone else does, too," Karina replied, smiling as her dad looked at her with understanding.

He glanced at the doorway and chuckled, replying, "Master Horn's a good man, but he's very protective of his family - almost blindly so. But I think you can convince them."

"I'll just give it the old Taslar try," Karina said, smiling as she hugged her dad again and went to find a ride to the Errant Venture.

Domain Kwaad
    Experimental Site:
    System Confidential:

Tol Bakkil was dead to the galaxy.

He stirred beneath the robeskin that served as a makeshift blanket in the hard coral nook that served as his sleeping area, and he sighed.

The former Imperial Knight Squire had been captured on Ilum, and implanted with yorik-kul which linked him to the yammosk that ran Domain Kwaad's base. He hadn't tried to fight back after that - part of him didn't want to try - and he had a tizowyrm translator in his ear.

Then there'd been a medical exam, and biopsies - he'd awoken from that with his head shaven - and he'd been given an ooglith cloaker to wear. The sleek black bodysuit covered him from head to toe, with a cowl covering all but his face; it was almost second nature to him, now.

Since then, Tol had been mostly left alone in his sleep-chamber, eating or drinking from tubes in the wall, exercising to keep busy - and hearing the yammosk in his mind.

The Force didn't really keep the yammosk out of Tol's thoughts ... and more and more, he wanted to listen to it, to just ...

~Obey. Yes, colt - obey the Yuuzhan Vong. You are a slave, now, augmented to best serve our masters,~ the yammosk rang in Tol's mind.

Part of him shivered ... and part of him nodded.

But I'm an Imperial Squire, the teen thought ... even though that felt far away and long ago.

He didn't feel very strong about that - it felt easier to just ... obey.

The portal to his cell opened, and Tol knelt automatically as a shaper entered, two other bipeds on either side of her. "B-Belek tiu," he said, somehow knowing the right words.

"Very good, colt. Rise, and look upon me," the shaper ordered, and Tol did so, blinking.

The shaper wore a full-body, black cloaker, the fingers of her left hand ending in tools. The two male human slaves with her each wore black cloakers as well, cowls pulled up to cover their heads but leaving their faces exposed, and they smiled at Tol as he nodded to them - he matched them, and it felt right.

He looked at the shaper, who looked him over and finally nodded.

"Tol Bakkil - formerly an Imperial Squire. Your genes have been sampled and added to our banks. You will be of use to me as an aide. I am Master Shaper Borja Kwaad, in charge of this installation. Follow me, and we will begin the next stage of operations," the shaper ordered.

"Yes, Mistress - thanks," Tol said as he fell into step with his fellow slaves, and echoed their smiles - he belonged again.

The mental murmuring grew, and Tol's eyes widened as they entered a huge circus chamber full of what he somehow knew to be gestation bins - cloning chambers - surrounding a massive pool filled by a single-eyed creature with tentacles. Slaves in cloakers were visible everywhere, supervised by Yuuzhan Vong shapers - and the Force *rippled* here, to Tol's surprise.

He coughed and asked, "Mistress? I can feel the Force here - are the clones Force-sensitive?"

Mistress Borja nodded over her shoulder, smiling a bit as she led them to an elevator. "Indeed, Tol Bakkil. Some of them will become Slayers - warriors for our glorious resurgence. And some will be ... fuel for the Great Plan," she said, making Tol shiver, but smile, too.

Part of him was afraid of what was happening.

Part of him wanted to help in any way he could.

The party entered a large chamber with a hologram (living light, the yammosk corrected), and Tol watched in awe as he looked at the image before him, tended to by shaper adepts.

The image was of a metal sphere, with three large find attached to it, equidistant from each other, longer on the bottom than on the top, with flames leaping up to meet the bottom.

A second image formed, similar to the first, but with rock and coral instead of the metal. The living light zoomed in, and Tol saw the inside of the living station, with pods containing Force-users channeling the fire to transmutation chambers ... and a steady flow of coralskippers and Slayers emerged from gestation bins.

Mistress Borja's eyes widened as she tipped her chin toward the living station. "Our ultimate goal - an inexhaustible army, grown instead of heretically built. We close on that goal by the hour," she said, sounding a little awed.

She looked at Tol and added, "To that end, colt, I seek to learn what you know about the Rakata, and their system called Lehon ..."

---------------------
    Errant Venture,
    Low Ilum Orbit:
    ---------------------

"Admiral! We heard the worst - are you - ?" the Mirialan lieutenant, Erralie, blurted as he and a small stormtrooper escort stepped off of one of two Lambda-class shuttles sent to pick up the Imperials who'd evacuated from Ilum aboard the Night Shrike.

Daala - her arm in a sling, but her color vastly improved thanks to Buan's multispectrum antitoxin - just smiled, shaking her aide's hand after they exchanged salutes. "I've learned when to let others lead from the front. But otherwise, I'll make a full recovery, thanks to our Mrlssi friend, Doctor Buan, and the crew of the Night Shrike taking me to safety," she said, nodding to those of Kyp's group who were present.

Kyp nodded - he would much rather be back at the Venture's medbay, waiting for word on Miko's surgery to remove the Vong implants that were self-destructing inside him. But he was willing to play politics a bit longer.

"And we appreciate the help you gave us during the defense of the Jedi Temple, Admiral. Without your help, I'd almost certainly be dead," Kyp pointed out, sharing an ironic smile with Daala for an instant.

She just smirked and said, softly, "We'll just count this as an even exchange ... and we're now, what did Braddock call us? 'Frenemies'?"

Kyp snorted, but not too contemptuously - he had seen Daala's courage and honor, even if he still didn't like her that much. "I can live with that," he said, shaking her hand.

She boarded the Lambda, and Kyp warmed up more for Jarin Krieg (who was on a crutch - the Imperial Knight captain had taken a sprain to his ankle during the last bit of fighting) and Cem Fel as they and the other surviving Imperial Force-users approached with Inferno Squad (all of whom had come through unhurt).

"Knight Krieg, everyone - thanks for your help down there. And your sacrifices. I know you lost more than a few people," Kyp said, clasping wrists with Krieg, while Ejen and Cem did the same, and Aliste' chatted with a Pantoran Imperial Knight who bowed over her hand, before giving Nat a friendly wink.

Krieg thanked him, smiling weakly as Cem, the Pantoran, and a Yaka Knight and her human Squire boarded the Lambda after Inferno Squad did. "We knew the risks, Master Durron. Securing Ilum was critical ... I just wish we knew the fate of one of our Squires on Knight Umroe's squad. Tol Bakkil wasn't among the slain, and I fear the Vong took him," he said.

Kyp repressed a shudder, as Karina - who'd returned from the surface on one of the supply shuttles - said, "We've left word with the new staff at the Ilum Temple to watch for Squire Bakkil, Knight Krieg. If they find him, you'll be the first they'll call."

"Thank you, Knight Taslar. May the rest of your journey be successful, my friends - and, perhaps, a bit less eventful," Krieg said, smiling faintly as he boarded the Lambda.

The shuttle to the Chimaera lifted off, while Hux, Phasma and their two surviving stormtroopers (one had been killed during the last fierce fighting before the Venture's arrival) made their way toward their own shuttle.

Jysella greeted Karina, then waved as Millicent stuck her head up over Hux's shoulder and mewed in a sort of "farewell" tone.

Kyp nodded to Phasma, then caught Hux's eye and moved close to the lieutenant, saying softly, "Ejen told me what you did to his uncle."

"And? Orfax Rask was slaver scum, Durron. The boy is better off as your apprentice, and Rask was attempting to attack your Twi'lek mechanic. It's over now," Hux snapped in an annoyed tone.

Kyp kept his own tone even as he replied, "Blasters have a stun setting for a reason, Hux. And there's still the unanswered question of why the Finalizer was even at Ilum. Don't get me wrong - we appreciate your help fighting off the Vong. But I've heard rumors about you and your boss. Don't expect me to ignore those if we ever meet again."

Hux huffed, holding Millicent a bit closer as he shot back, "I expect you to die, Master Durron - at least, that is my personal wish. Your student, Miss Horn, at least, has compassion for animals. Perhaps she'll take pity on you."

With that, the noxious little thug and his gang were gone, and Kyp didn't stick around to watch their shuttle leave, preferring to check in with his crew.

"Oh, Master Durron! I found this for you," Karina said, handing Kyp a familiar lightsaber.

"You found it! Karina, you're a lifesaver. I was afraid I'd have to try and pick a lightsaber crystal before we left, and we've got a lot to talk about at the Council meeting," Kyp said, thanking Karina before he glanced at Corran.

The older Jedi scratched the back of his head as Kyp asked softly, "Can we delay the meeting until I hear from Buan?"

"I'm sorry, Kyp, but there's a lot of business that needs discussion. But there's someone who's free to wait for Miko, now that the fighting's over," Corran said, nodding to where a familiar pilot left one of the XJ-4s.

Kyp smiled despite his worry as Octa Ramis made her way to his side, and they silently clasped wrists - then hugged, as she whispered, "Thank you, Kyp. You saved Miko."

"He dug deep and helped save himself, Octa. He's not out of the woods yet, but Doc Buan and Booster's medics are doing their best. It can't hurt for you to be near him, either," Kyp encouraged, and she thanked him as she let Valin Horn guide her to the medbay.

That just left the pending Council meeting, a few billion questions, and Kyp wishing for about a week's worth of sleep.

------------------------

to be continued ...

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  22. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    I think I'm somewhere on Thread Page Three or Four, but... yay Miko! (And now I shall refrain until reply proper...)

23. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: Sorry I haven't updated this more often - been busy. A short update here ...

28.5 ABY: Errant Venture,
    Ilum System, Wild Space:

Kyp tried a few biofeedback techniques to help him focus and stay awake - he wasn't as adept at that kind of control as some of his peers (or Control, to put a Jedi spin on things), but he could at least fake being fully present.

"Kyp? Bloody hell, you're really not ready for this meeting, are you?" he heard a familiar Core accented voice say with equal parts annoyance and compassion, and he sensed the speaker approach.

He smiled weakly, turning to see Betsy Braddock nearby, flanked by a Zabrak boy about Ejen's age, and both had sandwiches and juice bottles.

"Between helping my old apprentice escape Vong mind control, then going a few rounds with an ancient Sith Lord - physically instead of psychically this time - narrowly escaping a punk-shebs up and coming Tsavong Lah worshipper, and worrying about my old and new apprentice? I could do with a shower, a meal and a week's sleep, in any order," Kyp tried to quip, unable to keep his eyes off the food - damn, Booster must have a fine chef.

Betsy's Zabrak apprentice - K'urod something, Kyp's memory was trying to get out of working properly - nodded respectfully, a flicker of concern in his brown eyes. "Here, Master Durron. I can go get another sandwich and beverage - if I am not needed for the Council meeting, Mistress Elizabeth," the teen asked.

Betsy smiled a bit, and Kyp felt guilty as K'urod held out the sandwich - but his stomach literally cut in with a protesting growl rather reminiscent of a krayt dragon he'd heard once in the Jundland Wastes of Tatooine.

"And it is written in the Jedi apocrypha - 'There is no hunger, there is sandwich.' Thanks, kid," Kyp blurted, devouring half the sandwich in one bite, slugging back some juice, and closing his eyes in bliss.

He opened them to see K'urod bow to Betsy and make a hasty retreat to a nearby cafeteria, giving Kyp a respectfully wary look and nod over his shoulder.

"Good kid. Didn't mean to scare him," Kyp said with regret as he and Betsy sat on a bench outside a conference room which Booster had had retrofitted with multiple holoprojectors - a sort of remote Jedi High Council chamber.

Betsy laughed a bit, warming Kyp - they'd been a thing for about a week not terribly long ago, relatively speaking, until she'd gone off to help the Hutts prevent Hutt Space from being overrun by vengeful Vong.

(And during her absence, Kyp had pulled his scam at Sernpidal, and Betsy had been wroth with him over how he'd manipulated Jaina. It'd taken the Fall of Coruscant to make them make up, and Kyp was just grateful to have Betsy's friendship again.)

"K'urod has considerable wisdom for his age, but more intelligence - and precious little desire to fight. All of which are assets, unless something's coming to attack you and you don't have time to outsmart it. I'm making headway on building his combat skills; at least he's already got a decent survival instinct," Betsy said, a smile playing around her lips as she worked on her own meal.

Kyp raised his eyebrows, noting where Karina Taslar was talking with Mirax and Corran a couple meters away, while Valin, Ahsoka and Jysella waited nearby. "Ah. So not only does your Padawan escape a boring Council meeting, but he also feared me potentially fighting him for his food?" he tried to quip.

Betsy raised an eyebrow, replying drolly, "Your stomach sounded like a dianoga on a diet."

Kyp held a hand to his chest in mock offense and said, "I thought it at least sounded like a krayt dragon!"

"Perhaps a very anemic krayt dragon," Betsy teased, finishing her sandwich as she narrowed her gaze at where Karina and the Horns were talking, then glanced at the nervous Jysella.

Kyp nodded, devouring the rest of his sandwich and drink (and feeling a little more human) as he said, "Karina asked me to let Jysella be her Padawan, as a sort of cover for Jysella stowing away. The girl stepped up, though - she saved my life during the fight with Malgus."

Betsy looked shocked for a second, and Kyp nodded for her to follow him as he heard Corran tell Karina, "... she's only 12. Apprentices have to be at least 13 under the new rules."

Jysella's face fell for a second, but she perked up again as Kyp said, "Corran, there's extenuating circumstances that might influence your decision."

Corran looked typically grumbly - his relative tolerance for Kyp often vanished when Kyp poked his nose into Horn family business - but Mirax gently touched her husband's arm. "Let's hear Kyp out, at least. He's earned that much," she asked, and Kyp gave her a grateful nod.

He waved a hand toward Jysella and said, "Your daughter saved my life in the fight against Darth Malgus; she showed up just in time to Force-shove him off balance. Then, Millicent - Hux's pitten - tore Malgus' breath mask off. Without them, I'd have been run through."

Corran's jaw dropped a little, while Valin got wide-eyed and Jysella blushed. "I don't know why I can use telekinesis, Dad - but I can lift things, and levitate, and Force-push, too," she said, smiling a little as she floated.

"B-but - this is amazing! How -" Corran stammered, as he and Mirax hugged Jysella, and Valin shook his head.

Ahsoka looked confused, while Betsy smiled with surprise. "It's quite unusual. Why standalone telekinetic ability should be gender-linked in a bloodline - especially when the Force isn't guaranteed to be inheritable - is a question for Cilghal, and maybe Tionne Solusar," the telepath noted.

"Lucky, sis. I keep having to absorb half my own lightsaber blade just to lift a rock," Valin tried to joke, hugging Jysella before he frowned at her and asked, "What's in your tunic pocket?"

"Oh! Sorry - it's my lightsaber crystal, or maybe it will be someday," Jysella said, smiling as she took a pinkish crystal from her robes. She let her father examine it, and something like pride crossed his face before he returned it to her, a look of concern filling his features.

"A lightsaber crystal already ... but, she's only 12," he said, quietly, as he looked at Mirax, and they walked a meter or so away, talking in low voices.

Jysella thanked Karina, and said, "Thanks for trying - but Dad worries so much about me. And I did stow away. I want to be your Padawan, but ..."

The girl seemed to shrink a bit as she whispered, "I didn't think the fighting would be like that. When I had Millicent to protect, it was easier to ignore the awfulness ... but now, I can't forget about it. People were dying."

Jysella shivered a little, wiping at her eyes as she returned Karina's hug, and the Cathar said softly, "Fighting isn't all that a Jedi does, especially not a Sentinel. And you're not alone - it helps to talk about it with someone who's been there. Let's see what the Council says."

Kyp nodded as he added, "And you've learned that fighting isn't something done for fun, or like in the holos. Like Karina said, we should try to talk first."

Betsy - and, really, everyone else present - looked at Kyp like he'd grown a second head, and he rolled his eyes. "You know, I do try to be diplomatic at times. Just because I have a habit of bringing overwhelming destruction to our enemies doesn't mean I think it's the first option to pursue," he said, a little icily.

Jysella tried to smile more, as Ezra Bridger walked up, carrying the being he called the Child (but whom everyone had taken to calling "Baby Yoda"). "Looks like it's meeting time," Ezra said, looking - overwhelmed?

"Is everything OK, Master Bridger?" Karina asked, and Ezra blinked a few times as his charge smiled at Jysella, who waved at him.

"Sorry - just getting my bearings. And I'm just Ezra. It's been a long time since I was around this many other sentients. And ... I've avoided the new Jedi for a number of reasons. No disrespect to Master Skywalker, but he doesn't always have the right approach to some aspects of the Force," Ezra said, keeping his voice low and polite as Ahsoka smiled.

"Master Skywalker's rethought a lot of things since the Liberation of Coruscant, Ezra. What I'd like to know is where you've been since we met Din Djarin on Ahch-To all those years ago," the Togruta Jedi asked, looking at the Child with a bit of awe.

Ezra looked around warily - giving Kyp a polite but guarded glance, the kind one might give a particularly exotic canine or new kind of explosive - and said, "Around and about. My - duties - allowed me to go many places, but I found Ilum was safest to protect the Child."

The little being made a curious noise, pointing at Kyp, who blinked and replied, "Me? Look, kiddo, I'm friendly and all, but -"

The Child pouted, and Kyp sighed melodramatically, replying, "OK, OK ... I was able to hold one of Jaina's twins for a while. I can hold you for a minute or so."

Ezra let Kyp cradle the being, who smiled as Kyp held him to his shoulder, and the little green being patted Kyp's nose gently. A wave of warmth passed through Kyp, and he felt his exhaustion fade - a form of Force healing.

Then, the Child said, clearly, "Kyp. Serenno next. See Dalia Nalju. Save Graballa."

Kyp's eyes bugged out at the message, and he gave the Child back to Ezra, who gaped and said, "He's barely spoken in more than 2 decades!"

"For me, that's not the mind-blowing part - he's the real deal, if he knows about the praxia," Kyp replied, his mind whirling as he shook his head - the Serenno praxeum was supposed to be as secret as any of the others on his itinerary.

He scowled, adding, "And Graballa ... great."

----------------

to be continued ...

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent with Karina and Grogu especially =D=

25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Grogu! :yoda:

*Yoda Smiley is pulling double shifts, as it now represents both Yoda and Baby Yoda*

(And yes, even though I know his name is Grogu, I still refer to him as Baby Yoda at least half the time.)