main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should Boba Fett have defended the Shield Generator on Endor?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SateleNovelist11, Nov 23, 2020.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm just posting this as some food for thought. Some people have suggested that Boba Fett should have escaped the Battle of Jabba's Sail Barge to become an Imperial gun-for-hire. In that scenario, he could have defended the Imperial shield generator on Endor. This would have presented more of a challenge to Han, Leia, and Chewie.

Personally, I don't agree with this. It's part of the Boba Fett myth that he escapes the Sarlacc in the EU. He was one of the best bounty hunters the galaxy had ever seen, much like his father and Cad Bane, but overconfidence and a lack of situational awareness got the better of him at the beginning of ROTJ. Besides, I love how Karen Traviss portrays him in Legacy of the Force.

Interesting to see Jango next to Darth Tyranus and Boba next to Darth Vader in this.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Captain_Cosmos

Captain_Cosmos Jedi Master star 1

Jun 1, 2011
    ...Boba Fett on Endor defending the shield generator? But why would he need to with the Empire's elite legion defending it? If they weren't portrayed as a bunch of blithering clumsy idiots who could be beaten up by a bunch of teddy bears, maybe he wouldn't have to!

SlashMan likes this.
  3. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Fett is, well, a hunter of bounties, not a soldier. Doesn't seem to fit.

Not to mention, if not for some luck on the rebel's part (and Chewie hijacking a walker), the Emperor's plan on the surface would've largely gone off without a hitch anyway!

Sarge likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That could have been cool. Boba Fett might be my 4th favorite SW character, after Vader, Luke and Han. Me and my friends were all fascinated with Fett after ESB.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel like it would've been best if Boba hadn't been in ROTJ at all. Just save him for future stories.

Same thing with the Executor. Just like Boba Fett, it's menacing and badass...and gets knocked out by a ridiculous stroke of luck. Would have been better if it just wasn't present at the battle at all.

6. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    Yes, all of the bad guys being knocked out so quickly and easily in one movie comes across as though "someone" was in an almighty rush to finish the story as quickly as possible...

christophero30 likes this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "An entire legion of my best troops awaits them! Plus, get this, some random bounty hunter dude that we hired for no particular reason, just in case!"

8. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Agreed.

The film’s biggest mistake was presenting another Death Star. Also wish the Emperor never appeared in the film. Seeing him (sort of) in Empire, was a great reveal. What a disappointment to finally meet him ... and discover, a corny, cackling fiend.

Captain_Cosmos likes this.
  9. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    ESB's version was far more interesting. He seemed like just another corrupt politician, just with something sinister about him. It was handled very subtly, unlike ROTJ's Dick Dastardly Emperor.

Also, the Empire's legions are the equivalent of a modern military division. Can you imagine an elite division of troops being taken out by a bunch of midgets?

C.Roach likes this.
  10. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    Boba Fett, had no real business being in Jedi. The character had fulfilled its narrative function in Empire.

It was a waste of an interesting character to bring back and (seemingly) kill off to satisfy a minor plot point.

No, I wouldn’t want to see Boba Fett help defend the Shield Generator on Endor.

Would he use his jet-pack to engage hang-gliding ewoks in air-to-air combat? [face_rofl]

Captain_Cosmos likes this.
  11. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    It was just Lucas hastily tying up all the loose ends so he could go off and retire in seclusion on Skywalker Ranch like a movie mogul version of Howard Hughes. You can just see him ticking all the plot thread boxes as he's trying the write the script. "One villain gone! Another villain gone! Another villain gone! Yipee! I'll soon be through this!" I mean, the villains are just dropping like flies in ROTJ!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    C.Roach likes this.
  12. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    The box-ticking was haphazardly done. The Bib Fortuna character was never satisfactorily dealt with (like his master), and may’ve actually survived?

Even the annoying little turd, Salacious Crumb, got his comeuppance (sort of).

13. Captain_Cosmos

Jun 1, 2011
    No, we don't actually see Bib buy the farm onscreen, but he didn't come across as a major villain. However, wasn't he glimpsed briefly on Jabba's barge just before the fight? Then, as the skiff flew off Lucas made sure that we all see the barge being blown to hell in a huge explosion, just like the Executor and Death Star 2 did at the end. It's like him saying, "Look, they're all dead! Now let's move onto wiping the Empire out!"

14. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    Eh...I could see him following the group had he survived the Sarlacc Pit for revenge so to say, but yeah he really shouldn't have been in RoTJ to begin with.

AndyLGR likes this.
  15. C.Roach

May 3, 2018
    Bib wasn’t a major villain, but I still wanted to see him die onscreen.

16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I used to like making changes too like that, but how he escaped the pit, aligned with the Imperials (or didn’t and fought them as well) and what he would try to do to Han and company would probably detract from the main focus.

I could be wrong, and maybe it would be different if the character had been explored more prior to the Battle of Endor.

17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why would Boba Fett even bother being involved with military matters involving the Rebel Alliance and the Empire? He is just a bounty hunter.

18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I agree with a previous post that whilst its not a show stopper I actually wish he wasn't in Jedi anyway.

whostheBossk likes this.