main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
  2. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    If anyone, i would've liked if Anakin killed him only to cement his power. He had to die eventually, we couldn't have too many villians running around. His brief screentime only helped his silent, mysterious assasin character, i wish they never brought him back for TCW.

3. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

'Shudders' ... While the explanation of Qui-Gon there is pretty much spot on, the idea that this in some way elevates the character is...horrifying. If there is actually such a thing as blasphemy I would suggest it ought to be the claim that you have the ear of God. How dangerous a figure that follows the voices in his own head beyond all counsel. These days we treat such people, hopefully with compassion, but we do not revere their state. How lucky for Abraham that his God (or rather the cultural milieu that vomited up the story) had - indeed - a taboo about such deeds. In other words, (and Kierkegaard seems to have missed this subtle inflection in the story?) if Abraham's actions had their natural consequence he could not be revered - he would be beyond the pale of reason and of societal norms.

The concept works on the basis of giving up your responsibility for your own actions and trusting that the authority you work to will see the right thing done - and the corollary of that is that whatever you do in the name of this authority, and the consequnces thereof must, by the nature of the faith, be the right thing - as the authority desires it....

It is exactly this kind of insidious religious trope which I find disquieting and offensive about the PT. The idea of submitting to a higher authority as the path to righteousness - it is the exact opposite of what ROTJ exemplifies as doing Jedi - the taking of responsibility of your choices, and being self-aware enough to understand what motivates your actions, that you take responsibility for.

4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Even though I'm know to re-boot old posts, and always read them ALL the way through before I do, 193 pages is too daunting a task! What a thread to last this long. I am continuing this mainly because, yes it is still open for conversation, and yes I believe Maul was brought back (a fact I still disagree with) for the TCW but also for a future spin off. It's a matter of time people.

5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Well, I like that pic. Maul looks so Jedi-like and Kenobi so dark. Actually I like his more brown and lighter clothing, Maul is wearing in Mandalore taking him a bit away from that notorious Sith-black. And together with his brother Savage as an each other trusting team he has become even more than a mere Sith. I think this change of clothing-style should symbolize this inner change. And I like that elevation of him.

Marco1907 likes this.
  6. GenericUsername123

GenericUsername123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2014
    I hear it all the time that Maul should have lived, but I cant figure out why. I can't imagine why people say Boba Fett had a bad death or Jango should have lived either. They are villains. They die.

7. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

Because Maul was an interesting character that could have been developed further in Episodes II and III. He had the opportunity to be the PT's Vader, in the sense that he would be the central villain. Especially with killing Qui-Gon, Sidious could use him to spark anger within Anakin to turn him to the Dark Side.

Deltron3030, Sudooku and Marco1907 like this.
  8. GenericUsername123

GenericUsername123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2014
    Palpatine was the central villain.

9. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    IMO Maul should have lived so he could have been Anakin's dark mirror image and his nemesis throughout the trilogy. Instead we get disposable, one-dimensional Maul, never-convincing-as-a-villain Dooku, and disposable Grievous.

One of the complaints about the PT is the lack of a clear villain, that could have been a better-written version of Maul.

Erkan12 and Sudooku like this.
  10. Deltron3030

Jul 22, 2014
    Why? Maul kills Qui-Gon, escapes, what's different other than Obi-Wan and Anakin having an object for their anger which would have helped the plot?

Erkan12 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. One clear overt villain would be nice. Palpatine being the behind the scenes mastermind is awesome but we really needed a Darth Vader like character in the PT.

12. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    When you know how many hardships and endurances Maul had to undergo from his early childhood on until he was knighted Sith-Lord at that tender age of 22, you will, when you like Maul, consider it a tremendous waste of potential, efforts and an awful loss, that he dies so soon just in the first prequel episode, without having archieved that much, without enjoying the fruits of his struggle at least for a while. The only thing he gets in TPM are two failed missions. That cries for a revival while his death in TPM is not clearly stated. And if anybody can survive such a fall, then it will be surely Maul.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    And why/how would Maul escape?

14. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Have killing Qui-Gon be his mission specifically, after Anakin comes into play. He's the one Jedi who genuinely liked Anakin, met his mother and on top of that he has very different morals that he teaches from the other Jedi. It makes sense Palpatine would want him taken out of the picture for this new potential apprentice to have as rough a time of it as possible. It's not like any screentime in the movie was given to having Maul try to complete his actual objective: capturing Amidala.

Have him sustain a serious wound from Obi-Wan, then force push him off the ledge then be gone the next moment.

Master Jordan likes this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Deltron3030 Read the thread on Double Posting. You have been warned.

16. Deltron3030

Jul 22, 2014

Who cares, does it matter? He kicks Obi-Wan in the nuts and runs away. His ship has a remote transporter. Obi-Wan has narcolepsy. He jumps down the reactor shaft and is assumed dead (and that would parallel what Luke does in ESB).

Getting hung up on exactly how Maul would escape is hardly a writing conundrum for George. Worse examples of George writing himself into a corner come to mind.

The important part would be the villain striking a crushing blow to young Obi-Wan and serving as HIS white whale, his object of hatred above all else. This obsession with getting revenge for his master would have set the stage for Anakin's training going wrong. Obi-Wan's training of Anakin would have been corrupted by the drive for revenge.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mod Note: Stop bashing opinions or arguments. As someone who is new to the forums, I highly encourage you to read the TOS and rules of the forums. Pay particular attention as to the consequences for violating either. If you have any questions, PM me.

18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Maul should have survived on into the next film at least. They had no need to kill him off I thought. Maybe they realised their mistake which is why it turns out he wasn't killed on Naboo and survived and so popped up in TCW.

19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This reminds me....
    I'm pretty sure George wrote a good few ideas for TCW episodes. If he did come up with reviving Maul.... I can't help but wonder if he did it because he truly felt Maul should have survived, or if he did it because in his mind TCW is inconsequential to the films and did it for fanservice/ratings

Master Jordan likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Because it isn't about revenge. Obi-wan taking out Maul shows that he could become a Jedi by banishing his fear, anger and hate and do what is necessary. Anakin's reasons for turning shouldn't be revenge, but because of greed. Just as Luke was faced with the same situation in ROTJ.

Maul's resurrection was not for the fans, but because he saw a story potential born out of Asajj Ventress's new status quo and Savage Opress's creation that lead him to bring back Maul. This is then carried out in season four, five and in the "Son Of Dathomir" comics.

Sudooku and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Deltron3030

Jul 22, 2014
    No, it wasn't about revenge, but that's my complaint -- it could have been if George had better writing ability and it would have been powerful, and a very human compulsion which we could have related to as an audience. It also solves the puzzle of how a good person does bad things. He did touch on revenge in AOTC of course, when Anakin slaughters the Tuskens, but it's a passing thing there that determines Anakin's actions for all of 5 minutes on screen not a key binding motivation of the character.

Also, remember I said it would have been Obi-Wan's motivation, not Anakin's. Obi-Wan is a good person who never really did anything wrong in his training of Anakin, despite the vibes George set up when Yoda gave Obi permission to train Anakin at the end of TPM. Had Obi-Wan been corrupted slightly by a drive for revenge, it would have been an excuse for Anakin's training going wrong. As it is, Obi-Wan never really did anything wrong... We are told Anakin and Obi-Wan are best friends but it is never presented well on screen, instead we are told about it. Similarly we never really see Obi-Wan screw up Anakin's training -- for that matter we don't really see any of Anakin's training at all.

Missed opportunities, IMO.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  22. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I say darth maul shouldnt of survived his counter with obiwan on naboo he got cut in half and he survives that wtf just to make TCW more interseting they kept maul alive for fans to watch.

whostheBossk and Master Jordan like this.