main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Disney continue Legends?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't someone say earlier that a mid level publisher could buy the legends brand out or lease it out from Disney? Basically continuing legends under independent management?

While this would never happen I wouldn't mind the idea and would probably be very warm to the idea of legends being "bought back" and allowed to continue under management of people who want it to succeed.

Even in the best case scenario of some limited legends continuation-quality and even ambition would not be Disney's motive-it would purely be for bone throwing and a few books released under the legends banner would probably be used to keep old EU fans happy customers.

If legends was bought or leased from Disney and allowed independence I would be very happy, I think.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think you skipped over a very important aspect of that person's post:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Because there's more to Legends than just the examples you listed. If anything, the stuff that take place after the aforementioned, specifically the Legacy comics are well worth it IMO.

4. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    why are you bringing attention back to that aspect?

5. zchmrkenhoff

zchmrkenhoff Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2015
    Nevermind. Forget it.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Name examples that were good in the post-NJO then. 'Cause really everything between NJO and Legacy were rather wanting in my opinion.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    @spicer's point remains a good one. The whole time that there was the horror of the Denningverse, there was lots of other, arguably far better stuff being done:
    • Legacy comics - arguably an entire era of itself easily
    • KOTOR - Criminally axed prematurely
    • Knight Errant - This one barely got to tap its potential before being axed
    • Lucenoverse - Probably some of the best PT-tie-in material ever
    • Reavesverse - How to do a small, lower profile series
    On that basis I can see why some want the best of Legends somehow continued (while jettisoning the worst).

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Firstly, a Modly warning to tone the hell down on the concept that anyone is repulsed by diversity.

Secondly, and my general anathema to a reboot was thus repeated; a reboot in part would be even less satisfying than a reboot in full. But we had a partial reboot and it’s been brilliant in terms of the content that flows from what was retained I.e. TCW. So I’m content with how it’s gone very generally.

Thirdly, Legends is still on-going and you all make me sad that nobody cares about ToR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I was ignoring that part of the post.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ignoring it would be not quoting it.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Speaking strictly as an agent of the Russian government, I think they'd do better under me as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I responded to the part of the post that interests me-that being legends bought out or licensed by some independent publisher. I have no interest in the political aspect of the post and don't intent to get dragged into such a debate. I was discussing the buying legends part, not the diversity part.

Also I didn't quote the post I was referring to, I just referred to it.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I wish it would get a console release (preferably PS4), it runs fine on my computer I just prefer the convenience of a console.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Same here. I'd play the heck out of it were it available on Xbox One.

15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I definitely still care about TOR. I've been trying to get back into it recently. I love that game and can't wait for the update

16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The old Expanded Universe valued diversity. I fail to see how it did not value diversity.

spicer and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think anyone would say it wasn't covering diversity - it was, within the confines of its era, but diversity has moved very quickly in the last few years. So fast that a lot of entertainment is playing catch-up. That the new material reflected a more conscious desire to do more of this is excellent, but had Legends continued, it is more than likely it would have done the same moves. And let's face it, with but a few adjustments, A New Dawn could have been done in the old continuity.

spicer and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

A lot of those early Nu-Canon books could...In fact Tarkin WAS supposed to be a Legends book if I recall that got re-tweaked. Not until Ep 7 did more books truly belong in Nu-Canon, in that they completely went with the new "story" of the Star Wars Universe.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, just as Last of the Jedi was to be the end of that Luke, Han, Leia trilogy.

20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, there's a difference in how the stories feel starting with Aftermath 1. Before that the books felt like Legends with a few adjustments. They didn't provide much information on the rest of the galaxy save for a few hints. Specifically with A New Dawn, I can see the beginnings of concepts that would begin to diverge from Legends but the book itself could easily fit. With Aftermath we went from standalones to books building more of a story of the universe. Battlefront was linked with A New Dawn and created a new impression of the GCW. The Aftermath Trilogy, and Bloodline both began constructing a picture of the post ROTJ galaxy. Last Shot and somewhat Phasma continued this. The Thrawn books could still fit in both continuities. But they very much have a NEU feel in terms of how they deal with Imperial politics and discuss the state of the galaxy pre Rogue One. Also the Rebels connection makes them feel different than Legends. By sesson 3 I feel like Rebels diverged from Legends enough to not fit. The Battlefront 2 novel could actually fit in Legendsd still despite the Rogue One connection.

Jedi Ben and Tython Awakening like this.
  21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Rereading the X-wing books, it surprised me just how much diversity was front and center in those stories. Not in the sense of "representation" in real-world-Earth terms, which is what people are especially talking about in the present day. But diversity as a theme is omnipresent - the stories keep going back to the theme of the New Republic's difficulties holding together as a coalition of multiple different people with serious rifts between them (shaped in part by very different experiences under the Empire), and Imperial attempts to hammer away at those rifts in the hopes of shattering the New Republic.

22. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    He didn't quote it

23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is a persistent myth and I'm not really sure where it came from. Tarkin was pitched to Luceno in the Summer of 2013, and very early in its writing process he was already figuring out what Legends characters and planets he could bring into the new canon instead of inventing new things to fit the same roles. Legends was already dead when the project came into being; they just hadn't announced it yet.

Daneira likes this.
  24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    That fits with an interview of Luceno right before the Nov 2014 release of Tarkin. The authors expressed ambivalence at that point about the canon change but that was before the release of Episode VII and its tie-in material.

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I think they should. There's a market and the cross over potential itself between two universes is guaranteed $$$$$$$$$$

Cynical me says that the use of the World Between Worlds is the laying of the groundwork.

You don't even need to reboot Mara. Just pull her out right before Jacen kills her.

Looking forward to Palpatine vs Palpatine.

Canon Vader would destroy Legends Vader but Legends Palpatine might destroy Canon Palpatine.....maybe Legends Palpatine would prefer canon Vader over Legends Vader.

So many possible stories.

Sinrebirth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.