main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy or I, Jedi?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by DreDog, Jul 6, 2019.

?

Should I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy one I, Jedi or neither?

1. JAT

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. I, Jedi

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Neither

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. DreDog

DreDog Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2019
    I finished the Thrawn Trilogy a few months ago & just read Darth Plagueis. They were incredible! I want to continue my EU hype. I was going to buy a box set of JAT but I’ve heard very polarized reviews about it. I heard I Jedi was very good but idk if it’s a good enough substitute. Please explain your reasoning as to what I should do.

Or should I read neither & just go into Hand of Thrawn Duology?

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    You should read the Jedi Academy Trilogy first, then I, Jedi. The latter covers some of the events from the former, so you'll need some context first.

I recommend both.

3. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    I haven't read I, Jedi, but from what I understand it's more of a side story or alternative pov to the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I'd read the trilogy since it's the "main event".

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I haven't read either since they first came out, but from what I remember, IJ was much better written, and the events in it from JAT weren't absolutely critical to the plot. So it shouldn't be an issue if you decide to skip JAT.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The last time I read IJ it had been so long since I had read JAT I couldn't remember the events IJ was referencing. While I don't know if it's absolutely critical to the plot, I didn't know what was going on. And I'm the type that doesn't need to get every reference or understand every last detail.

Read JAT first.

6. DreDog

DreDog Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2019
    Is JAT worth a read? I was thinking of buying a box set for the trilogy since it may be cheaper. Or maybe I would read Bane.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Skip straight to The Crystal Star [face_beatup]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Luna2112, PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If you're looking for good EU books, my recommendations would be the X-wing series, and Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. Those are well-written, fun, and do a good job of capturing the feel of OT movies.

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Do not do this for you own sanity........seriously!! :eek:

:p

10. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    She is totally right about that. As for your question I recommend both just to get the full experience and different points of view.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  11. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    @DreDog I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't great either; it was just kinda average. If you're worried about continuity, from what I remember, the trilogy itself is relatively self-contained. Besides introducing a few characters that become either mainstays or recurring characters later on (mainly during NJO and post-NJO), I don't remember if the JAT is ever really brought up again in any significant way. JAT was one of the earlier entries into the EU ( I think it started publishing right after the Thrawn trilogy), and a lot of the earlier works are pretty self-contained trilogies. Then after you reach the NJO (which is next after Hand of Thrawn), the EU kinda got a soft reboot of sorts (new publisher) and everything post-Hand of Thrawn became much more continuous. I'd definitely recommend reading the Bane trilogy regardless of what you decide about JAT though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  12. DreDog

DreDog Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2019
    Did u like JAT? Was it good?

13. King_Kenobi62

King_Kenobi62 Jedi Master

May 7, 2014
    I’d also suggest both but I, Jedi last even though I agree with the above opinions on it being written better. I haven’t read them in a while but I remember favoring I, Jedi over the entire trilogy as far as a “favorite” would go. The Bane trilogy is a must as well like also stated above. I thoroughly enjoyed reading those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    I,Jedi.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018
    Yes I liked JAT I thought it it was well written

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's not one of the better EU works, but it's also not nearly one of the worst. Its average. But, it's the beginning of Luke's Jedi Academy, where he recruits his first students and begins to train them, the only place you're going to be able to read that story. Hardly anyone would say JAT is great, but almost everyone reads it just because of the concept.

Bane is schlock, but fun schlock. It's video gamey, but fun. I recommend it over JAT.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  17. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I, Jedi, in addition to the first part providing a different point of view to the JAT, it also includes Brakiss, who was first introduced in "The New Rebellion."

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Anyone else have trouble taking a character seriously when he's named Bra kiss? Or is it just me?

PCCViking likes this.
  19. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, he's no Waru. :p

20. Jedi Knight88

Sep 4, 2018

EXACTLY!!

PCCViking likes this.
  21. Discipulus

Discipulus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 1, 2019
    It's a long time since I read either, but I recall starting with the trilogy. I think the shift in perspective when you then move onto I, Jedi is quite fascinating. Maybe it's just as interesting in reverse. You shouldn't have any issues with accessibility, though -- neither the book nor the trilogy are difficult for even recent newcomers to EU.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Both should be an option, with JAT first, logically.

If I was rereading Legends, though, I only read I, Jedi for ease.

23. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    In I, Jedi I liked how Corran tried to mock Exar Kun, only for Kun to casually smack him down, and Corran basically saying, "Oops." :p

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes! Especially when Kun broke his explosives.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mara giving Kun the verbal smackdown shortly afterward was also memorable.

Jedi Knight88 and PCCViking like this.