main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should John Williams be Knighted?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Jul 18, 2001.

?

Should John Williams be Knighted?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes

91.4%
  2. No

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
  2. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    This might be the most clear-cut vote of any poll. But I really feel that John Williams should be Knighted just as Steven Spielberg was recently. So it might be considered more of a petition than an actual poll.

Since Spielberg isn't a native of England, he didn't get the title of "Sir" Steven Spielberg and so would be the case with Mr. Williams who was born in New York.

3. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Does anyone know if there are any qualifications per se to be knighted? Just curious.
    But, he probably deserves to be knighted.

4. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    Sure, why not?

5. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Spielberg's was an honorary knighthood. Sort of like receiving an honorary degree from Harvard.

Even Julie Andrews, who's actually British, has only an honorary knighthood.

Others who have one include Sean Connery, Elizabeth Taylor, Bob Hope, Colin Powell and former President George Bush.

6. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    If he was, too bad he wouldn't be Sir John Williams.

Too bad.

:)

7. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    To be called sir, you don't have to be specifically born in Britain; only if you are in a country that is part of the British Commonwealth, like Australia, New Zealand, and a few others. There are plenty of people born in Australia, or New Zealand (or various other countries) that have a "Sir" title. Sir Donald Bradman (Australias greatest Cricketer who died recently), for example, was born in Australia.

Oh, Sean Connery does have a proper knighthood, as far as I'm aware.

While I think that his works are commendable, I don't think he would get one, simply because he isn't what you would call a public figure.

And since he is a native of New York, he doesn't qualify for a title. He would simple be "John Williams KBE" - Knight of the British Empire.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Wasn't Hopkins knighted?

9. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The reason why Steven Spielberg was knighed was because he created a lot of jobs for people with the films he made in England, and boasted the British economy. Unfortunately I don't think John Williams has done too much of that, so I don't very much he'd get knighted. Which is a shame.

10. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh, Sean Connery does have a proper knighthood, as far as I'm aware.

Can't be. He's not even English. He's Scottish.

11. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Yeah John Williams only records with the London Symphony Orchestra for almost every score he composes and he does it at Abbey Road Studios. He's probably contributed as much if not more to the Arts in terms of classical music as Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven. You can totally disassociate the music from the movies, discard the movies altogether and you're still left with masterpieces of music that stand on their own and will stand the test of time for many years to come.

If there was an achievable title of "God" I'd nominate Williams.

And you're telling me Spielberg deserves it more than him?

Please. Without John Williams, Steven Spielberg wouldn't even exist. He'd be some dude making wacky World War II movies.

12. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well said Lord Mauly Mall!

13. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Let's not get carry away about Steven Spielberg, Lord Mauly Maul. I just think it's very unlikely that John Williams would get a knight-hood. Maybe it's because he's not high profile enough (I know he's got loads of television and film credits, but how many non-Star Wars fan know his name? Probably they could hum the Jaws theme, the Star Wars theme, and the Superman theme, but that's about it), or maybe he was offered, but turned it down. But if he deserves a knighthood, I reckon George Lucas deserves one, too.

14. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    DEHRIAN: "Can't be. He's not even English. He's Scottish."

Did you even read my previous message? I said that you don't have to be English, just a member of the British Commenwealth, and since Scotland is part of that Commonwealth, then he qualifies for a Knighthood - read it again!

And to add to that, and answer MASTAGE's question, yes, Anthony Hopkins was also knighted - and he's WELSH!

However, he has since had to give up that title since was nationialized as an American a few months ago - Yes, you must renounce your title if you change your nationality.

15. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    "Maybe it's because he's not high profile enough (I know he's got loads of television and film credits, but how many non-Star Wars fan know his name?"

Hmmm, I think you underestimate Williams' popularity, Oakessteve. If you conducted a poll or just asked around a bit, I think you'd be surprised at how many non-Star Wars fans know of Williams and/or his large body of work.

16. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2000
    - read it again!

You don't sound very happy. :p

17. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Maybe I'm out of touch. Maybe I never cared for the British much. Maybe I never would want the Queen to be in my sight. Maybe I don't understand the coolness. Maybe I just don't see why a royal family's decision should be of any importance today.....BUT, I find it to be more embarrassing than honorable to be associated with a monarchy that still sits high on the hog in today's supposedly free-world.

18. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    You tell them, bright sith!

19. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    That's okay, Bright Sith, I'm British, but I am also VERY anti-royalty, anti-establishment. For the record, I also hate living here too.

Our goal is life should be to live in a world without classes.

20. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    He should be knighted in every country that still has a knighthood!

21. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Wow I didn't think the question of Williams being Knighted would be controversial, but apparently it is and has provoked strong feelings! :)

22. Gwas

Gwas Jedi Master star 2

Dec 13, 2000
    I'd love to see JW given an honourable knighthood but doubt it'll ever happen. As others have said, he isn't mainstream enough to be recognised despite his incredible talent. As non-British (or commonwealth) citizens can't use the (I think) rather cool "Sir" anyway, I doubt it's something that keeps him awake at night. It's just a little British (not English) quirk that's quite popular here that's all.

Just out of interest, does anyone in the US even have the slightest idea how Britain works? You all refer to our funny shaped little island as England when in fact it is Great Britain. GB is made up of three Nation states, Scotland, England and Wales. Bright Sith, the monarchy have absolutely no power do do anything at all without the democratically elected government's say-so. They are there for show and bring in a shed load of foreign tourist's cash. In that respect they pay for themselves several times over.

I personally would like to see Britain become a republic, one that would see the Presidential candidate with the MOST votes enter power at that. ;)

23. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Aside from the fact that Williams is not British (I'd like to believe he's from my neck of the woods, Boston), he definitely deserves knighthood.

Sir Elton John.
    Sir Sean Connery.

I'd place Williams as being more influential and inspiring than the two of them, but that's a subjective view.

24. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Actually Williams owns a cottage out in Tanglewood where he normally does most of his composing. Besides Boston's Symphony Hall, which could be considered his home away from home. ;)

25. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    If Sean Connary got knighted then JW deserves to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.