main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Kyle Katarn return to canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Not really when your primary historical moments are:

* Stealing the Death Star plans
    * Killing the 3rd most powerful Dark Sider in the Empire.

Ithorians likes this.
  2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Yes, but that's hardly the narrative focus of the games. The DS plan heist is just the prologue. Likewise Jerec was ultimately just an Inquisitor with a independent streak, no different from any of the others we've seen. The personal story is Kyle avenging his father's death without damning himself in the process.
    In any event, I could easily see Kyle as the John Wick (as an update from Chuck Norris) of Star Wars gaming. A revenge driven mercenary with a defined arc. There's still very little in the new canon of those kinds of stories.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Their really should be a story about an ex-imperial who becomes one of Luke’s students in the post RoTJ era.

How about this time he wasnt apart of the Rebellion during the OT era, and later joined up working for the NR after the fall of the empire,

Eventually he joins with Luke. A way to avoid the whole getting murdered by KoR/Kylo is that he chose to leave the Academy before those events, becoming an ex-Jedi.

But it would give someone not named Ben Solo who experienced training from Luke, to potentially still be alive in the ST era.

4. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    The easy pitch is he does learn from Luke a thing or two about being a Jedi, but "he's too old" to complete the training and can't let go.
    In terms of game design, its easy to justify him using dark side powers, but he'd be a suffering guy on the edge, with only his friends to keep him from slipping away.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Luke goes to visit him on his vineyard to seek his help and Kyle is all like "I came here to find safety... but one is ever safe from the past."

And then Luke replies: "A legend never leaves the fight."

masterskywalker and Ulicus like this.
  6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Speaking of Katarn, I'm playing Mysteries of the Sith for the first time (in full, having only sampled the first level at my buddy's house back in '99), and this game is insanely more challenging than Jedi Knight. I got through the first three levels last night, but every time I go back to one of these older games, I am reminded as to 90s FPS games did absolutely nothing in regards to tips, hints, or holding your hand. The amount of switch-puzzles, timed countdowns, and just...getting lost...is making my head spin. The first two games were not nearly as hard, in my opinion.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    At least in Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith you could actually save anywhere, unlike say, the "modern" game Jedi: Fallen Order.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah...There is good and bad sides to that. Constant quicksaving is a little bit cheap, but considering how much and how often I die on the same area over and over, I suppose it's necessary. The original Dark Forces was just challenging enough to not worry about the lack of saving, and the checkpoints were generally not too far back.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They're saving those lines for the Kenobi show.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Bring Kyle back on the Mandalorian. Have him be a badass who fights alongside the Mandalorian and ultimately him he knows a place where the Child can grow among others like him, learn to use and control his abilities...

masterskywalker likes this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And become a victim of Kylo Ren's academy massacre? (No Knight of Ren was that short)

If you're saying Katarn has his own separate Jedi school, it massively undermines the ST. But I wouldn't mind actually, no new Jedi in the ST was my biggest complaint.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm interested to see, especially with the upcoming Kylo Ren comic
    whether TROS actually deals with any of the Jedi who got away to confront Kylo later.

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I’m curious if students at the time of the fall were the only students Luke had trained at his Academy or could he have had a student or 2 who left prior. Or perhaps a student was killed during a mission before Ben turned evil.

The loss of a fellow student, perhaps one who Kyle Katarn saw as a kid he never had, pushed Kyle to leaving the academy prior to its fall out of grief and other things.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    spoilers for upcoming Rise of Kylo Ren comic
    Previews have shown 3 students, trained enough to go on their own missions, were offworld on a mission at the time of the massacre and the comic will deal with what happens to them.

15. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I mean has Valance had a one-to-one return to Canon? No, and I think some would argue he is better for it.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    So, the Dark Forces Remaster was released yesterday. Included among the bonus content is the demo level that was cut from the game but otherwise viewed in pre-release screenshots and playable at CES in 1994. I plowed through the level during two sessions yesterday, internally jubilant about playing "new" Dark Forces content after nearly 30 years, as well as the fact that I was previously intimately familiar with the early screenshots of the Avenger level from both Star Wars Galaxy Magazine #1 and my first copy of the old LucasArts' The Adventurer catalog/newsletter that came with my buddy's copy of TIE Fighter.

My question is...If this level were to be retroduced into Legends (or Nu-Canon), how would Kyle Katarn stealing another set of Death Star plans from an ISD and escaping in a TIE Fighter fit into the larger strata of the later mission and events on Danuta? (Not to mention Toprawa.)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  17. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    Kyle Katarn can destroy the First Order and Sith Eternal alone even Galen Marek can

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It is somehow not surprising that everything, even a Mandalore game, is axed, and yet Kyle Katarn's remaster survives.

19. Darth Vectivus

Dec 9, 2023
    Maybe because Dark Forces 1 is a Remaster of a old game before the Remaster there was HD mods created by fans so it wouldn't be a big work to do compared to creating a new game the Battlefront collection are also new Remasters of the original Battlefront 1 and 2 games

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Kyle stole the Death Star I plans, the Death Star II plans, the Death Star Prototype plans, and he stole the plans for Starkiller Base before they were even written.

There is nothing beyond his grasp.

21. Darth Vectivus

Dec 9, 2023
    Disney Canon Kyle Katarn is Andor but he died in the first level of Dark Forces 1 instead Dark Forces 1 Remaster is very good i hope Dark Forces 2 gets a Remaster too

22. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    That's a funny way to look at it [face_laugh]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Man, if Scarif is the new level 1 I can't imagine how tough the rest of the game is.

Though personally I always thought of Kyle fighting the Dark Troopers as more important to the character than stealing the death star plans, it is why the series is called dark forces after all, so clearly he was busy off screen destroying Gideon's dark trooper factory and that is why they never showed up again. Canon Kyle is also the reason we never saw the earlier phases of dark trooper - he can sniff them out to stop their creation.

24. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I mean it's not like the game that exist is precisely easy, but maybe i just suck.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The hallway massacre vacancy has already been filled.