main
side
curve

Should Macross get the BSG2000 treatment?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Likewater, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Macross, RoboTech, whatever you call it, Would you think it would be a winner if the syfy channel got its hands on the rights to the original "harmony gold" stuff and did a live action remake?

I don't know if they can pull the "Transformer" action with the VF-1, But it is damn close in concept to BSG.

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Too big of a budget to undertake it in my opinion. Syfy has shown they are really only working with properties that have a two or three set budget per episode. That's why cartoons work so well for stuff like that.

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Honestly, I wouldn't want a live action remake. But if they did a more realistic, modern animated revision I'd watch.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    In a word: no.
    Harmony Gold's bastardization mangled the original stories more than was even remotely necessary.

A live version. (sigh) I've seen live adaptations of anime before, and it just does not work.

And could we really tolerate goth-rocker Minmei? Or emo Rick Hunter?
    Now, the mechs might be interesting, but they'd probablly screw those up too.

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It would be cool to see a quality, modern mech-based cartoon. Not cheesy ripoff Robotjox or anything, but if they did a quality remake of Robotoech, or Mechwarrior/Battletech style mech action, it would be most excellent.

It's been too long since we had any good mech stuff... but there looks like there [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRd7aBSlOvE&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1]might be a good game coming out to fill that void.[/link]

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Short answer: no. Long answer: Hell no.

No offense, its just as a minor fan of the old BSG, I hated the new one, especially since it seemed to set a standard for how screwed up protagonist characters can be, not to mention heavily piling on the pseudo-religious babble. So don't want to see any other series end up like that. Although funny enough that Flash Gordon remake wasn't too horrible, but that was short-lived.

I'm sure seeing Veritechs in HD graphics would look cool, but I don't think the story would translate well to modern standards. And that's not even going into how they took Macross' storyline and mixed it up in a blender to get Robotech. Both stories on their own are mostly decent, just them having to hack and slash three animes together to get Robotech is what's sad.

Although there was that Speed Racer remake a few years ago, which was mildly entertaining, but I doubt Robotech would end up even that good. It would be nice to see a new mech cartoon, sci-fi seems to be dying out a little bit (since sci-fi shows tend to be expensive, needing big budgets with all those special effects, compared to reality shows).

7. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    oh, if forgot the contention that the remake caused in the fan community.

silly of me, I suppose the a live action remake would freak the hell out of a lot of people.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Forget the arguments with the fans. It would just suck.
    And not work.

Mainly, it just wouldn't work.
    Incidentally, it would suck. Esp if a US company made it, because they'd screw up the story. Of if it were made in Japan, the english dub would screw it up.

9. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Hey, the the Star Gate franchise was a US company, as was Star Trek, and yes Both BSG's, Americans do great scifi!

Mutant Enemy? Gerrr arg! Fire Fly, And what about Babylon 5!

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes, and they all started with original US material. Have you seen what happens when they try to use anime-based material? Heck, they can't even just Dub something propperly. (OK, maybe they can, but I can't think of a single example off the top of my head). Usually they give all the women squeeky little girl voices because they don't understand the culture context.

About the only thing I can think of that has worked out ok is The Magnificent Seven being made from Seven Samurai. Oh, and arguablly Star Wars.
    Even when the Japanese make a live-action version of anime, the results are less than stellar. or even 'good'. Really, it just does not work.

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    :rolleyes: Serously, have you even WATCHED an english dub since the 90s? The distribution of anime and translation into english in the US has come a long way in the past decade or so. With the exception of 4Kids (and even they are going under) the days of horrid basterdizations of the original source material is far behind us. Nowadays, the Japanese studios work with the distribution companies and often play a hand in who is to be cast anymore.

As for US live action adaptions of anime being crappy? Well, granted the two most recent versions that come to mind were indeed terrible, but they really had special circumstances. Dragon Ball Evolution had a **** budget and seemed to be a rush job that no one involved believed in. Just a quick cash grab. Speed Racer was an awful movie based on crappy source material (face it. It's true). So, there is no reason why I feel an American adaption would be immediatly terrible if they got a director with a good vision, worked closely with the Japanese studios (for designs, story consultation, etc.), had a good budget, and quality casting.

EDIT: Also, for the record, the Macross Saga part of Robotech was extremely faithful to Super Dementional Fortress Macross (with the exception of some character names and the last 2 or so episodes). Please do research before going all weeaboo on us.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I've seen both versions.
    Don't forget what they did to the songs... Not only did they cut down the number, but the original character was voiced by an actual singer. Someone who had a career. When she started working on Macross, the show and her singing career began a feedback loop--the more popular Macross became, the more popular her singing, the more popular Macross, the more... OK. And those songs can all stand by themselves. Also, the original songs actually FIT into the context of the show. "My Boyfriend is a Pilot", "Small White Dragon", These were actual songs, not just Minmei can't think of a good title for "StageFright."
    And there's Minmei's shower scene that got cut...

Yes, I have seen more recent dubs, thank you.
    An improvement, but not enough to make me want to hear the whole thing that way.

13. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Granted the newer songs were pretty crappy, if you really think they could have gotten away with playing Japanese songs in a show marketed primarily towards kids in the 80's, you're naive. Carl Macek (contrary to what some people like to think) wasn't a monster who lived to Americanize anime. On the contrary, he was a real fan who saw Macross as something special and wanted to bring up to the US. However, he had to make compromises for the times he lived when anime wasn't as much of a phenominon as it is now. As such, the show needed to be localized. Even so, you can't deny that the core of the show was left intact as well as the maturity of its subject matter. It is especially telling that the Robotech version of Macross actually aired in Japan and was quite successful, in particular in how it actually created interest in the other two shows brought in to add to the Robotech Saga. (Southern Cross and . .. the other one bombed in Japan. The only reason they were brought over to US at all was because Carl needed two more shows in order to air Macross).

As for Minmei's ass. That was restored in a Robotech DVD release some years ago. ;)

My point is you claimed that the US could hardly ever successfully adapt a japanese anime and I just pointed out that isn't true. A good company that carefully works with the Japanese creators and takes care of its product can possibly do a good job.

Hell, wanna look at a decent US live action version of an Anime? Guyver 2, its faithful to the original, has cool fight scenes, and has Solid Snake as Guyver I! =D=

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I don't mind them replacing the songs (heck, they replaces all the music. But they could and should have done a much better job. You know... Actually make the songs fit.
    Pt 3 was Genesis Climber: Mospeada.
    And attempting to bring the Robotech franchise back from the dead, Well they did that recently with The Shadow Chronicles. As Joss Wheadon said: At some point trying to resurrect the dead becomes Necrophilia (OK, not the exact quote, but close enough).
    Guyver 2 live action? Yuck. The only one the first one had was Mark Hammil in a token role. As for the Aikido displayed... Sigh. And the sequel was... Yeah, I'll just watch the anime again.
    And I am NOT saying it is impossible, just that it almost never happens. And I would not assume any company would do a good job without severe reservations. The likelyhood of it actually doing well is slim-to-none. NOT impossible.
    C'mon, they can't even do a decent job with US-based material. Just look at those Transformers movies... the second one... (sorry, I'm just speechless)

So, here's a rough translation of what would happen given the proposed revival/reboot. Rick Hunter shows up at the Blue Angels display to find Roy Fokker because Fokker was his brother's squad leader. Rick doesn't know that Fokker accidentally shot down the older Hunter Brother in a massive dog-fight. Fokker is quilty as hell, an alchoholic, but no one notices. He tries to help Rick adjust. Rick still has Emo hair. Valkeries look like F22As. Lynn Kyle is a disillusioned William Henry follower saddened by the fact that mystic Blue Apples of Enlightenment didn't lift him out of the 2012 funk (I'm not making that crap up! google it). He wrestles with his desire to kick butt because of his kung-fu training with the attempt to be non-violent, and everyone ends up hating his brooding guts (wwo, just like the original). Emil Lang is a Micronized Zentradie angent, who somehow forgot he was zentradie, and arrived 20 years before everyone else... Because of their society, all zentradie are force to be gay, but are straight it they were given the chance (See, we've got the Uber-Rightwinger 'christian' fanatics with this one! We're endorsing their preposterous theory that homosexuality is learned, and can be corrected...) Breetai is Exador's monkey behind closed dores. Exedor is actually a robotech master... All the crew of the SDF1 are still agents of their original governments, all trying to take control of the ship for their own gov't and use it to redress grevences from the civil war. Only Capt Gloval is truly idealistic enough to belong strictly to the UN, but spends 90% of the time trying to control his own officers. Lots of time during the battles is the bridge crew screaming at each other because that's 'Draahh-ma'...
    Um, does this sound like something you'd actually want to watch???

15. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    It would have to be based the Americanized, Robotech version, but yeah I could see it working. I would prefer a big screen treatment, but I have no idea what Tobey Maguire is doing with his robotech project.

16. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    You are going overboard with the jadedness don't you think.

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    What? I'm just combining BSG with Stargate Universe, while using Robotech names. That is more or less the concept, isn't it? Maybe a little Torchwood thrown in?

If there are so many good Anime to live action translations out there, name 3. If I haven't seen them, I'll go out and find them and watch them. If I'm wrong, I will come back an appologise.

18. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I have never really Heard of an Anime translated into Live action, or better said saw any.

I am aware of a live action version of "Negima!" in Japan, a popular version of "Sailor Moon" done in a "sentai" fashon.

A rumor of a "live action Gundam" but I don't think it was ever made, after all I was in Highschool at the time, and no way the tech had developed to that point yet.

And there was that Dragon Ball movie, is glimpsed on HBO. And truth betold Outside of "Team 4 Stars" Dragon Ball Z abdridged, I consider all dragonball bad.

19. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Death Note movie, Gantz, Guyver 2 (YES, that was a faithful adaption of the source material), Saikano, the Space Battleship Yamato movie's looking good.

20. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Never seen a good cartoon->live action movie adaptation.
    Not one.
    Not US, not Anime.

Seen a lot.
    All sucked.
    Even Guyver2 (we must have seen very different source materials if that was 'faithful' to the 'original')

Some good comics->movies, but no cartoons->live movies.

Would be happy to have someone prove me wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.