main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Should same-sex marriage be legal?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Feb 24, 2015.

?

Should same-sex marriage be legal?

1. Yes, same-sex marriage should be legal

94.4%
  2. No, same-sex marriage should not be legal

5.6%
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That would be the best thing ever.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Honestly, the naming stuff is bizarre. For my point of view, and it's not my call to make, but your name is part of your self-identity. You marry, and give that up to take a husband's sirname, you're kind of giving up a piece of yourself and I therefore don't support the idea of my surname being adopted. But, it's not my call to make.

Yet, the issue then becomes this - ok, fine. She kept her name, and I kept mine. But the kids either take mine or we double-barrel the surnames which is usually unwieldy. Surnames were not really set up to share.

One of my friends, who used to post on this board (Syrix_Kahl) double-barreled his own name as did his wife. That, or men taking their wives' surnames, I respect but I don't know if I could do it as a person.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah I've never been comfortable with the naming thing myself. That said, I'm way too used to having my father's last name to change it.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I doubt I'll ever change my name, if I decide to marry. I seriously doubt that I will decide to marry, though, as I also see it as an unnecessary and outdated ritual.

5. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    But think of the wedding!

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, thanks. :p

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    We should all go by just one name. Like Madonna or Prince.

Admiral Volshe and heels1785 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Last names are paternalistic regardless.

I like having a cool Italian last name despite not being Italian, and I like having the same last name as my kids. But that's just me, and I think the only obligation here is "do what you're comfortable with."

I think it's interesting that men have their last names, and generally speaking, women are making a statement regardless of what we do with ours when we marry. That's a commentary on society in general and not what anyone has posted here.

MrZAP likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, and that's why I find it so wrong to just expect that because I have a wang, I can say "take mine name woman!"

But also, comfort. Familiarity. Continuity. The only way I'd change my surname is if it was to a more Dutch name like, "Rijsdijk".

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    My financé's taking my surname for the simple fact she doesn't like hers. It's really not a big deal either way for me.

Anyway, gay marriage. All for it. More weddings means more parties and more parties means more fun.

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    FTFU

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, he's back to being Prince again.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    The interesting thing about the husband's name though is that it's the opposite of DNA. Through mitochondrial DNA, we can trace our maternal ancestry. Through conventional marriage names, we can trace our paternal ancestry. Without realizing it, we've devised a way to keep a complete record. In a way, it's too bad our generation is mucking all of that up.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    The artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince?

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The paternal line can be traced with the y-chromosome.

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    That's why I advocate a dual-naming system, a patrilineal and a matrilineal, one for mtDNA and one for the y-chromosome.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You're right. Marriage is out

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree to a point that the institution is outdated, but I think the aspect of streamlining legal rights is worth keeping.

Which is why the government should not make same-sex couples fill out a lot more paperwork to give legal power of attorney, inheritance rights, etc., to their partners, whereas opposite-sex couples pay one fee and say the vows and the rights are given.

There is also the matter of how complicated and ****ing expensive it is to get out though. But that's another topic.

19. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    I would marry Jared Leto if he is dressed like a woman but not with that big beard. That beard is weird. I'm conflicted.

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Switching to a number system is the obvious answer. Simple, fair, efficient. Who doesn't want to be called 14583745.4? It just rolls off the tongue.

Frank T. likes this.
  21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The irony, so-to-speak, of that post with the (current) avatar of the poster above you. :p

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In a homosexual relationship, who makes the sandwiches?

23. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    You need three people to make a sandwich. [face_mischief]

24. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    If you're bisexual is your bread buttered on both sides then?

25. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I was delighted with my 10 year old daughter today.

Dropped her off at school and she overheard two parents having a conversation about a lesbian couples who are due to get married soon and were dropping their daughter off at the same school.

Let's just say my daughter overheard some unsavoury and homophobic comments and she let them have it with both barrels.

//proud dad.