main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should sequel trilogy be close to Star Wars Legends instead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Dec 17, 2017.

?

Would you prefer the new stories/world to be closer to Star Wars Legends?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    When Disney decanonised the old EU and turn them into Legends, some fans are annoyed but most assumed we will get a better version of a post-ROTJ world and stories to tell. With two out of 3 movies released, and with most mysteries revealed, does anyone like the direction of the sequels Disney is taking?

Would you prefer a direction closer to the old EU? Something like this perhaps? [​IMG]

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Thing is is that we'll likely going to get that. Only it will be with Rey. Not Luke. Rey is going to turn out to be everything Luke would have been if Lucas chose to not stop making Star Wars movies for twenty years.

3. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Seriously, unless JJ undoes most of the damage done by Freaky Johnson, I'll be tempted to consider the ST as Legends, just as much as the Thrawn Trilogy, or the Jedi Knight videogame saga

4. MoffJacob

Dec 25, 2015
    Seriously, unless JJ undoes most of the damage done by Freaky Johnson, I'll be tempted to consider the ST as Legends, just as much as the Thrawn Trilogy, or the Jedi Knight videogame saga

5. MoffJacob

Dec 25, 2015

6. MoffJacob

Dec 25, 2015
    seriously, not my fault at the multiple post

7. asdv

asdv Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm retconing everything Disney at this point. TFA was ok but not that great. R1 was ok but unnecessary. TLJ was just a bad, bad movie that actually took away from the overall story of the saga.

JMO.

8. EzraSnoke

EzraSnoke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 25, 2017
    Re-envisioning the ST, with what they already used, I'd have written this instead of what is the actual ST....

Episode VII should've been a story about when Luke had the Jedi Academy. We see him teaching, Ben learning, etc. Interplay that with Finn a dehumanized Stormtrooper who got back his humanity. The story focusing on those two stories. All in the backdrop of the rising First Order (political exposition), and Snoke. Who cottons on to the existence of Ben Solo, and starts leading him astray, to the dark side. Confrontations between Luke and Ben, and Ben with a small band of other students who take his side. During the movie, we explore the Finn character more, as he wanders alone on Jakku, and looking to stay unnoticed, to blend in, and learn what it's like to be human for the first time. There's no Rey yet. Or maybe we see her as a young teen. Ep7 ends on the cliff-hanger of Ben Solo and his band destroying the Jedi Temple, Luke fighting back some, trying to rescue texts and stuff. End.

Episode VIII picks up where TFA kind of got to, where Rey is older now, Finn has blended into the Jakku community and is friends with Lor San Tekka. Learning about Luke Skywalker etc and how is gone missing, and the rise of the First Order with Ben Solo now Kylo Ren. Much of the latter half of TFA would be the middle of Episode VIII, with Rey becoming friends with Finn, and them racing off to join the resistance, as Finn's identity has been discovered. We have the Falcon scene, and Han and them meeting etc. We meet Poe for the first time and get some of his story. Kylo kills Han. Cliff-hanger as TFA ended, with Kylo and Rey fighting, except this time, Kylo beats Finn easily and has Rey on toast but the earth opens up and the Falcon whisks her away. The movie ends with Rey walking up the steps and meeting Luke.

Episode IX then would've been some of what we saw in TLJ. And fleshing out the story better, such that Rey is getting taught by Luke, he isn't avoiding her. Meanwhile, the FO is marching on, trampling over the galaxy. We have the same Kylo-Rey force skyping going on, much to Luke's chagrin. Kylo and Rey kill Snoke and the guards. All there. But no Canto Bight. Finn and Poe are buddy pilots in the war against the FO. Leia gets killed in battle. Luke too late to the battle on Crait (more an epic ground war tho), and unleashes John Wick-like action, a mad R1-like battle ending, as Luke and Kylo eventually face off. With instead Luke sacrificing himself a la Obi-Wan, movie ends with Luke staring off into the sunset as we saw. End.

9. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    I like the direction of the ST. My interest in the now "Legends" EU mostly died about 20 years ago. I eagerly read the Thrawn trilogy, etc when there were no new SW films on the horizon. But when I read them again much later, I was unimpressed. I did like Dark Empire and the Tales of the Jedi era comics.

The Last Jedi did not go the direction I was expecting, and once the first spoilers hit, it took me a couple of days to get over my disappointment and open my mind up to what would be in the film. Having seen the film, I think it's fantastic. What I originally wanted to see in the film was mostly fan service. It's heartwarming but not very interesting or meaningful. TLJ's portrayal of Luke (and let's be honest, it all comes down to Luke) offers a more interesting and thought-provoking character than what I had originally hoped for, or as seen in the Legends EU.

We're all entitled to our own opinions and interpretations of course.

Tanjint likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Arguing canon or whether the ST should have followed the old EU is soooo 2012. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.