main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Star by Star come out now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Wedge 88, Sep 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I agree BPA if theyhave the copies to give the winnres of contest on TOS then why don't they have the copies to put in book stores. When Heros Trial and Jedi Eclipse came out they were about a month apart so there wasn't enough time really for spoilers!

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I know someone who able to buy SbS early from a store. I know much of the outcome of the book it does not even sound like a very positive book, and I know there are going to be people who will be quite angry with it. I know I am, and I'm not the only one.

Anyone wanting spoilers I'll be sure to mark them carefully. Just ask.

3. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I agree with everything Mastadge has said. It's ridiculous to keep this stuff from reaching the market just because of the tragedy. There was a poll and people felt worse seeing the Twin Towers removed in a scene from Zoolander than when they saw them intact in Glitter. Erasing them from memory doesn't help things at all.

4. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree wholeheartedly with Mastadge and Bogga. Delaying Star by Star's release just because the book might upset some people who have already been upset by the WTC tragedy? Where's the sense in that? What about the people (like me) who have been looking forward to this book for ages? Yes, the events of September 11th changed the world forever, and yes, we should learn from that, honor the memories of those lost, and never forget that event. But purposely interrupting our day-to-day lives and activities just so that we can mourn and be respectful, to this extent, is flat-out ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that kind of effect, among other things, what the terrorists were aiming for in the first place?

5. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Valiento- Is S^2 in the storage rooms of stores already?

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Uhh-ohh. Here we go.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I guess in some stores. I was given the link to the store that carried it, and is selling it already, and only had a few copies, according to my source. But I don't want to implicate that store and get them hit by LFL.

8. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    That's surprising. Guess I'll have to speed up plans to befriend the kid in my French class who works at the local bookstore.

I don't see what delaying the book would accomplish. Returning to normal life may not be easy, but it must happen sooner or later. Taking out parts of books will not help the victims of the attacks.

9. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    Please PM Valiento for off-topic questions. Thanks!

Back to the issue at hand, and not trying to be blunt, but the fact that some meaningless Star Wars book would even be a factor in this terrible equation of suffering and loss borders on obscenity.

September 11th should be held separate from all eerily ironic similarities in fictional outlets simply because it is REAL.

I'm not going to down-play the emotions and terror of September 11th by spouting platitudes about moving on or citing WWII fiction or anything of the ilk, but I will say that, like sports, entertainment should now be in its appropriate place in our lives. It is just unfortunate that it took such a horrible event and unbelievable pain to do so.

10. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    i'm going with Mastage on this one. I'm tired of everything that's usually a constant in our lives being altered and cancelled!

I know what Val is talking about when he says people will be upset. But the thing is, they will be upset no matter what. I'm more upset about the plot than how it connects to recent events.

jedimasterED brings up a good point, too. fiction and real life must be separated and recognized as different entities. the reason there is such a coincidence with the terroist attacks is simply because we base fiction widely on real life events.

11. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    I am not saying the book should not be published. I am just saying a delay might be a good idea. Nor do I advocate censoring the book, though removing or toning down references to "infidels", etc, might not be a bad idea for future books.

I am just now reading a copy of Rebirth. Everytime I've read a Vong chapter and reference to "infidels" is made, BOOM! I am out of the story, reminded of recent events. Not very escapist right now, in my opinion.

12. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    The problem is that disrupting the story because of reality makes it even less escapist. Star Wars is relatable to the attacks because it deals with universal themes- the reality that makes it through should be influenced by all of history, not just the present.

13. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    i know what you're saying, but i really don't think that we should mold our lives around these new events. in truth, the YV's society was established before this new one that we now live in. if we were to change it, it wouldn't be in character.

14. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    With respect to the victims of the WTC and Pentagon attacks, I believe that even though there should be some recovery time, we shouldn't resort to censorship. I am and have always been a firm opponent of censorship.

I realize that it may hurt people to see "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" or to read books that address similar issues, but all of these are viewed by choice.

But I don't have anything to go by, since I do not indulge in SbS spoilers. I don't know how "bad" this book is.

Either way, it's my hope that this tragedy isn't turned into turned into a crappy love story in a couple of decades like Titanic was.

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    BoutyPunkrAurra, why don't you stop complaining about being spoiled ? You asked it, you even BEGGED it, and now you're angry. We warned you. More than once. You chose to dismiss our warnings, now please assume you decisions, and stop bothering us with it, okay ? You're not really helping in the already tense Jimmy situation.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Don't ask me for spoilers I'm not going to give them out to people who ask anymore.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I guess we're back to good ol' Jimmy.

Although, isn't it possible that Jimmy will "die" a la Max in the season finale of Dark Angel? That he'll appear in another book somewhere down the line.

That might just be my "Denial Mode" talking; I felt the same way when Chewie died.

18. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I guess except for Matt's little intrusion today, we never left our old buddy Jimmy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.