main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Should the Federal Government pay interest on tax refunds?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr. P, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    It's been quite a while since I posted here. I've been lurking since the new movies were announced and since the broad community here is what really kept me coming back I figured I'd mark my return with an interesting question: Do you think that the federal government should pay interest on tax refunds? I see tax withholding as essentially a loan to the government; the government should thus pay us some form of interest. What do you think?

By the way, if you are interested in an official response from the White House, sign this petition.

2. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the government doesn't you marking your tax return with questions.

J_Girl likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Getting a (large) refund is a sign of overwithholding which is usually a voluntary choice. So, no.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi, wannasee and J_Girl like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    With interest rates as low as they are and probably not going up any time soon, it wouldn't really matter to anyone but those who get the largest refunds.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  5. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    You have the choice at anytime to amend your withholding, so there is no need for any sort of significant refund. It's easily possible to make sure that you pay a little instead of getting a refund. So, no. It's the taxpayer's fault for giving Uncle Sam a tax free loan. Many people say "It's the only way I can save anything." Really? You can't put away $10/week or whatever and not touch it? What are you 6 years old?

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and wannasee like this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the others have thoroughly demolished this "idea." No.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  7. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I would like a sheet with all the disclosures on it where all my federal tax money is going.

So I can see how the FED squanders tax payers money.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Your taxes go into the General Fund.

There.

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    yeah and than its squandered...

Sending billions over seas to some third world rats nest while there are many children living in abject poverty, without lights or running water in america. Or schools who are severely under funded,, etc etc etc.. the list is endless..

The reason they don't break down where your money goes because if the oublic knew no one would file income taxes, plus there would prob be riots everywhere.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    :rolleyes:

EDIT: Wait, it's a Senate thread.

LandoCapeGuy, just look at the budget for the entire federal government. That's where it goes.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do you have any idea how much of the budget is spent on foreign assistance?

12. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Is it billions of dollars?

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    that doesn't give you any information you can actually use.

People would be shocked to find out how the FED wastes our taxes..

None of that money is used for anything like infrastructure. Most federal money is squandered on nonsense. If you actually believe our taxes are used properly I have a bottomless glass I wanna sell you.

I feel our federal government should be held to the same standards as a private company when it comes to handling money and "the books"

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012

yes billions...

Than we get into a detailed discussion on what "foreign assistance" really means...

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    PAYING FOR SICK PEOPLE TO BE IN THE HOSPITAL=NONSENSE

Ron Paul 2012[face_flag]

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Please enlighten me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_United_States_federal_budget#Total_revenues_and_spending

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh boy guys. looks like we're in for another thread where landothecapecalrissian posts as if his uninformed opinion is the most important opinion in the world, and page after page of people for some reason responding to him.

18. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    what a completely ignorant not thought out comment.....

19. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I feel like Wocky and Ghost know something, but they won't tell us what it is...

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    ya it shows you which division is using the money but it doesn't actually tell you how each division is using that money.... I wasn't disagreeing with you just stating you don't know where your money is "Actually" used.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It just takes a quick Internet search to find that information for most programs.

For example, here's the budget for the Department of Transportation:
    http://www.dot.gov/budget

There's just a few that don't release all the details of their budget and aren't audited by the GAO, such as the CIA and Department of Defense.

22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Why is my opinion uninformed, because its different than what you believe????

You truly believe you get the most for your money, your family gets the most for their money, our country gets the most for their money... If you say yes than the government has another lap dog that needs stroking.

23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    yes that's what I mean..... A lot of money if funneled through Defense or military but one ever knows how its spent.

It also doesn't tell you about the billions if not trillions year that is wasted or mismanaged through our political system

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    everyone knows that the government is notorious for some frivolous spending, and personally i'm appalled by the amount of money that goes to the military. that's because i'm a pacifist. but it's like you get your news from 90's jay leno monologues. and it's annoying how you always seem to try to take the most controversial stance even though it's basically indefensible. "none of the money goes toward infrastructure". oh, i guess the infrastructure just comes from magic then! or wealthy benefactors right? it's just silly and in this case your controversial stance is only tangentially related to the simple question that the op is asking. it's frustrating that every topic seems to turn into the topic that you want to discuss.

Point Given and jp-30 like this.
  25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    infrastructure comes from local and state taxes brainiac