main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should the OT lasted longer?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, May 3, 2021.

1. The idea of a buch of Rebels defeated an Empire feels like an idea that should have worked better if the OT was a saga of movies intead of a Trilogy Darth Vader Boba Fett Ben Kenobi The Emperor should have appeared more, the end of the Empire in the movies is weak with the Ewoks Han Solo should have die in Empire, Luke traning to be a Jedi should have been longer the OT need a villain other than Vader maybe someone like Thrawn to make the Rebel victories feel earned Endor should have been Kashyyyk all the Jabba palace scene should been remove to focus instead of the Empire fall imo the story of the Galactic Civil War is very badly told

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Then it wouldn't have been a Trilogy...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The problem with the MCU was that, in order to get the story, you had to see every single movie. That's twenty films, by my count, not including extra material. By comparison, the OT was just the right length. Three movies to cover the major points. And, if you're interested, the EU is there, but not absolutely essential. The PT was a bit more involved, but still more or less worked with three movies.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think seeing the OT story play out as like a six episode saga instead of three would've been epic. However, that sort of thing was just not done back then, and the actors also were likely not in the position to do so many films over that long of a time. 10-12 years is a long time for an actor to remain committed-not many do it even now.

Though I do see the value in expanding the story. I'd actually enjoy if the whole saga weren't necessarily locked into sets of trilogies, but perhaps simply a set of parts-not unlike Harry Potter. That would allow for more to be fleshed out in certain parts of the story that could benefit from it, like between the PT films and the Clone Wars, and also turning TROS into two films instead of cramming all that into one.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Lasted longer? No way, three movies are enough, thank you. Besides, how can you top "Empire Strikes Back"? Everyone knows it's the best film in the Skywalker saga, hands down. A limited number of movies allows the storytelling to be tight, something the ST lacks.

7. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Lord, then Lucasfilm would have been stuck with the "Rebellion Against the Empire' arc forever. Come to think of it, Disney Studios seems hellbent upon remaining glued to that story arc forever. It re-wrote that arc with the Resistance v. the First Order conflict in the ST.

Everyone? Why would you assume that every Star Wars fan in existence feels that way? Did you ask every moviegoer that has seen the Star Wars movies?

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    takotsubo likes this.
  8. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The Rebellion was not the main story. It was backdrop to Luke's coming of age story. The Rebellion started long before the OT and went on after it (long after it in Legends.) The OT only showed as much of it as was necessary to support the coming of age story. Once he redeemed his father and sent Sheev howling down the shaft, the story was done, even if the Empire wasn't. Emotional catharsis had been achieved, the main heroes had finished their arcs. The OT lasted as long as it needed to. In fact, it was already losing steam by the third movie.

9. i believe if Return of the Jedi was change the tone more it will easy be better than Empire

10. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I agree - being a big fan of the prequels means that its a six film "trilogy"(or two very connected trilogies) for me at this point. You are right though, they just didnt do that back then. No doubt The Clone Wars could have been its own trilogy! Tons of material in there that us fans would have loved to see on the big screen. The cartoons are OK but they dont have the same epic feel or importance that the films do.

TROS did nothing for me but if it had been fleshed out more it couldnt have hurt.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd say TESB has been topped multiple times. Not that it means that much since all of Lucas' films are great so a great film being topped by another is still great.

12. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Reading all of these comments really makes me understand how subjective art and entertainment are.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    oierem likes this.
  13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    A truth that many fail to understand.

14. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    ROTJ has roughly an hour of story that's stretched into 2 hours. I don't think a change of tone would help that much.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s easy to forget what a monumental undertaking it was between 1975 and 1983 to create the Star Wars Trilogy. Today it feels like we get a new film of that size every couple of weeks. But in their time there was nothing even close to the scope and variety of Star Wars in a single movie. And we didn’t see anything like it again until Ep.1 in 1999 followed two years later by Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Reading the behind the scenes J.W.Rinzler books show what a devastating toll making the Original Trilogy had on those who made it. Lucas’s personal life was shredded after Empire and only got worse on Jedi. His wife and editor quit movies for good after Jedi. Ralph McQuarrie quit after Empire, only begrudgingly returned for Jedi after George Lucas travelled to his home so he could ask him to come back in person. And even then McQuarrie quit before Jedi was done. Gary Kurtz shouldered the burden of how behind schedule and over budget Empire became and was pretty much replaced before Empire was completed. Irving Kershner was so exhausted he didn’t return for Jedi. That list goes on further.

The original trilogy was a brutally difficult trio of films to bring to the big screen. Lucas and company barely got over the finish line. We’re lucky we got what we did. There wasn’t any gas left in the tank behind the scenes to make more movies in the 80s. Lucas wisely recognized this after Empire and altered his plans to wrap up Star Wars with Return of the Jedi.

More entries of the Star Wars series would have been amazing in the 80s, but with Lucas and the staff he had left completely burned out those films never could have risen to the standards set up in the OT films.

I actually think return of the Jedi is two movies or 4 hours of story compacted into a single two hour movie. The rescue of Han Solo could have been its own movie. The final show down between Empire and Rebellion / Darth Vader and Luke could have been it’s own movie. If it feels like only one hour of story it’s because we are getting two complete adventures in a shortened format.

whostheBossk and Reepicheep775 like this.
  16. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    No. Part of the genius of the Original Trilogy is that you get a real sense that there is a huge backdrop/history of events going on in the galaxy, but that the story is really focused on our small group of beloved heroes. The story is efficient. Once you start adding to it, the narrative is in danger of becoming overdone, bloated, and not as focused. It's Star Wars, not Dune.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  17. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I'm not saying there isn't enough potential. I'm saying, from what we actually see on screen, the story as presented is stretched pretty thin. The Jabba sequences play out very step by step and slow. (which is fine, because this is the "getting the band back together" sequence) After the Tatooine stuff though, the only characters who even has any moments to shine are Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. Han, Leia, Lando... nothing except plot beats. They're given nothing.

And the Ewoks get introduced once we get to Endor and (as far as pacing is concerned) the movie comes to a dead stop for about ten minutes. Even as a kid, this was the first time I was bored during a Star Wars movie. Han and Leia get one scene in the Ewok village to establish that Han is jealous... which means nothing to the audience because we already know that Luke and Leia are siblings at this point. The notion of any hint of a love triangle still existing at this point is laughable and I still to this day have no idea why Harrison and Carrie weren't given something else, ANYTHING ELSE to do... not that it matters anyway because their conversation in the Ewok village doesn't play into the following thirty minutes of the movie in any way shape or form, and then once the action finale is finished, the """subplot""" is wrapped up anyway.

So, I'm not saying ROTJ couldn't have been something more, I'm just stating that there's about an hours worth of story that is actually presented on screen that is then stretched to feature length.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  18. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    One can say that about a lot of movies.

19. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Three films are plenty.

whostheBossk likes this.