main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the OT scores be re-recorded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    It would be like re-recording a Nat King Cole song. It's saying they aren't good enough the way they are, which I think would be an insult. And in the context of what was suggested in this thread that the OT soundtrack should be re-recorded to fit the PT is something I highly disagree with. I love the PT soundtracks but the PT is what needs to live up to the OT. Not the other way around.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We're talking sound quality here, not changing anything. If they can remix and remaster the OT scores so they sound as good as say the E.T. 20th Anniversary score, then I would be fine.

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    If that's the case then I agree. :)

4. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Is there really any way ROTJ could be repaired?

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have hopes for Pro Tools.... dunno though.

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This thread kinda goes along with the rescoring discussion.

7. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Thanks, GK. :D

What I'm suprised nobody has suggested is putting the new recording on a seperate audio-track, by the time a six in one DVD set comes out it'll probably be on the Nex-gen format (either HD-DVD, or blu-ray) and there should be plenty of room for another audio-track and have the old one too.

But, really, I'd love to hear a re-recording of The Dark Side Beckons without all the nasty tape hiss.

ttbk, Chasm Crossfire

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I could kiss you, TBK.... but i won't. Though I agree with you 100% :D

9. Wedge

Wedge Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 1998
    I realize I am coming into this thread very late and there is a lot to be read through...but this is my opinion (even if I haven't been a regular on these boards in years....)

Never ever rescore the original!

The musicians on the original blow away the current group in the LSO. Period.

Just listen to the opening fanfares from all six movies...listen to ANH...listen to Philip Jones and the other trumpet players play the SW theme with AUTHORITY!

It's that way for the entire original trilogy. Then listen to TPM or AotC and its like those trumpet players are either afraid to let it rip, or the engineering is so bad that the trumpet section is hideously distorted from reality....no, really, I think it's the fact that the latest generation of trumpet players in the LSO are just going through the motions of playing the theme. "Ho hum, chaps, let's say we have a go at this theme just to get it done and get to the good stuff..."

Being a trumpet player for 31 years I can tell you that I think those guys are going through the motions...they play ok on anything else but the opening theme.....no cajones....weak....ugh.

I plead with Maestro Williams in a letter after extolling him for his mastery and for influencing me as a trumpet player and musician to PLEASE get it Right for ROTS ( I did that back in 2003...)

Anyway, I'm done ranting....thanks for reading....

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Remember, we're talking about re-recording the scores... not re-scoring the films. I am all for re-recording these scores as the sound quality is abysmal. So that with a little tweaking and adding themes here and there would be fine with me.

11. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Don't mess with the classics.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Isn't that viewpoint a little irrelevant in light of 10 years of SE changes to the OT?

13. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Agreed to an extent. I actually prefer the PT recording of the main theme.

15. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Exactly my thoughts.

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    On the topic of the 1950s recording of the 20th Century Fox fanfare that was used for ANH-does anyone else actually prefer it? I donno why, but it's just so obviously different from the one for TESB that I like it a whole lot more; like I said, I'm not sure, but it might be because after SW, EVERYTHING 20th Century Fox made had the fanfare, and it sounded just like the one in TESB/ROTJ. The ANH one is unique; it says SW, to me.

..Anyone agree?

17. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes. The sequence of old recording of "Fanfare" to new recording of "Main Title" evokes nostalgia for the golden age of film, while simultaneously beckoning in a new age.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Cool, glad I'm not alone in this.

19. Jediknight_Wendy

Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    I think they should be kept the way they are. I listen to the OT often when im driveing and honestly there is too much a chance the wonderful scores could be runined. If any of the OT was synced to another track even if it was the same score simply performed by someone ele's the movie's woulden't be the same as the music really dose drive the feel of the films. IF it had to be redone let John Williams re score it..but other than that if it's not broke..don't fix it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.