main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should the ST be Expanded to a Quadrilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Boba Frett, Jan 11, 2018.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we get something like this too. In the last few seconds of the movie they'll reveal that there's some other big bad out there though it doesn't necessarily have to be the First Order in my book.

Not sure how much I like this idea but maybe at the end of Ep. 9 they'll give us the impression that Rey has become a legend throughout the galaxy and then we'll get a scene of some Maleficent-like evil character who's just been given information about Rey and her accomplishments. One of her subordinates will ask, "what's so special about this girl my lord"? And the Maleficent-like character says, "she's my daughter". Then boom, roll credits.

I like the surprise element of this idea and I like the idea of a female dark side villain, but on the other hand introducing yet another evil parent vs. Jedi story would be trite as all get out.

Strongbow likes this.
  2. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    TLJ acts far more like the second half of the first act than an act II. I have to wonder if this 'trilogy' has been planned as a tetralogy since JJ came on board.

3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    For those who have kept up to speed with Rebels, the quote "Protect the past to redeem the future" has been sticking with me since I watched those episodes. The main question that I have, is if the Ghost crew is successful at protecting the past, what future is it that they redeem?

I have the feeling that whatever happens, it will directly effect Episode 9. But hey I could be wrong.

4. Master Hector

Master Hector Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2018
    A pretty damn good cartoon series, IMO;)
    That would have been TOTALLY WORTH IT!
    I dont care how bad the romantic dialogue is, I would have loved it if they did a full on galactic war.

I wouldn't mind another movie, if only to have some proper character development and some more battles. I feel like it needs to be fleshed out a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  5. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I'll always say and agree that Episode 7 should have been seeing Luke's jedi temple and everyone at peace, with the FO coming in, Snoke being introduced and the turn of Kylo to the dark side by the end of 7. Would have marked the first time a trilogy in Star Wars started off with someone turning, as opposed to the end. TFA could have essentially been 8 with a time jump with a bit more substance, and TLJ could have easily been the end of this saga for better or worse.

I allowed for it to go this way hoping there would be a flashback, like a 10-15 minute one showing our character's past and how things went south instead of a ten second bedroom scene times 3. I hardly doubt there will be anything at all in 9 with any story prior to 7, let alone any flashback. I don't even think a very awesome episode 9 would make me feel totally satisfied and leave me wanting more. Wanting to know what happened and how. I hope I'm wrong of course.

ShaneP likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    could happen but I think LFL knows that these things are structured as trilogies and the press release about JJ's re-hiring mentioned the conclusion anyway.

7. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I know it wont happen, but I feel IX could benefit from being split up into two parts. I'm not sure we could (or will) get a satisfying conclusion otherwise. TLJ didn't 'feel' like a film with its own questions, and did the minimum to advance some characters arcs, in spite of its length.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm not sure where TLJ supposedly did the minimum to advance some character arcs. I'd say it is the very opposite. TLJ was all about the character arcs. Rey moves from someone who is looking for advice and for others to step up and save the day, to accepting that she needs to take charge and be the hero. Poe moves from being a hotshot pilot who ignores the consequences of his actions to someone who understands that you have to keep the long-term outcome in mind. Finn goes from someone who only cares about Rey and who doesn't want to fight against the First Order to someone who proudly proclaims himself to be "rebel scum" and even tries to sacrifice himself for the cause. Only Kylo Ren is sort of stuck in his personal growth, but what he lacks in that regard he makes up for with tricking Snoke, killing him, and taking charge of the First Order.

I don't see any particular need to split the story into more than one movie. Two hours are more than enough to deal with everything that is needed. Could you spend more time on telling the story, sure, but that is true for basically everything. You also "could" have spend more time on finishing the OT after ESB, instead of getting only what was in ROTJ. But ROTJ was more than enough to cover what was needed, and delivered a great ending for the trilogy.

ChrisLyne, rorow1 and yanote like this.
  9. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    If a four film series could allow TLJ to actually makes sense and contribute to the story rather kill it, yes I want a quadrilogy.

If not, IX needs to be a three hour movie. I’d like that too - as long as it’s good!

10. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    No. The sequel trilogy needs to end ASAP so the franchise can move onto bigger and better things.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No it should be expanded to a Tetralogy. ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Trilogy of trilogies.

13. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    LF should go the opposite route. Ep9 should be cancelled and TFA and TLJ should have the "Episode n" stripped from their opening crawls. TLJ didn't leave enough questions or unresolved issues to justify a sequel. The two films can be positioned as "Star Wars: The Kasdan Cut" and LF can move on.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    klooney, UK Sullustian and Roosterq like this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. In yours and my dreams.

15. RexExLiberi

RexExLiberi Jedi Knight

Jan 17, 2016
    Absolutely not! For the love of all that's good put this trilogy out of its misery ASAP and let us all forget about it!
    We deserve better than this

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    skybender likes this.
  16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The trilogy doesn't need to be put out of its misery, as it hasn't shown any indication that it isn't popular. TFA got a great reception from critics and audiences at that time, while TLJ got a great reception from critics and a good if in part very divisive direction from the audience. Statements like yours are already very close to breaking what the recent posting-ban of 1-2 days was all about.

And no one "deserves" anything. Fans are just that, fans. If they don't like something they can ignore it, but they certainly don't deserve to get whatever they want to have.

Jim Ryalto likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks for mini-modding but we'll allow opinions so long as there is discussable content.

RexExLiberi likes this.
  18. RexExLiberi

RexExLiberi Jedi Knight

Jan 17, 2016
    It is my firm opinion that critical reception is and should be unimportant in a discussion about a film franchise like SW. If a director were to film the Schindler's List in the SW universe it would be an excellent movie but not necessarily a proper addition to the saga. Additionally I reject the premise that the movie was good independently from the opinion of the critics.

Secondly the mere fact the my previous post was very close to breaking posting rules amazes me. I was simply answering the question of the thread itself and I certainly do not appreciate the stifling of dissenting opinions (extremely Empire like).

What we as fans deserve is not to be treated like "toxic" swine, name-called and ridiculed because we are stating what we believe to be true: SW used to be one thing that we could all love and celebrate together and now it is not anymore and this is a shame.

LOL sure

Roosterq likes this.
  19. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

I'm going to guess you weren't around for the old EU and the divisive battles that happened there....look up "Talifan" if you need a reminder that Star Wars hasn't always created universal harmony amongst the fandom even back before Disney.

As for the original question, leave it at three, so they can focus on the new trilogies and tv series, learn from what worked and what didn't work and push forward expanding the Star Wars universe beyond the Skywalker Saga.

RexExLiberi likes this.
  20. RexExLiberi

RexExLiberi Jedi Knight

Jan 17, 2016
    Universal harmony = stagnation of the fandom

21. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I took that comment to be referencing the movies, but I of course could be wrong. I took it to mean the stories were more universally accepted due to their continuity with what has come before. I know there are fans who want things to be completely new at every turn, and others want it to be easily predictable and stick to things common with the previous movies. I think what is needed, and what @RexExLiberi I believe was meaning was there needs to be a balance between the two approaches. Something that gives everyone something to grab on to and enjoy. I don't think anyone really expects their wishes to be absolutely adhered to, but every fan needs to have something to enjoy.

RexExLiberi likes this.
  22. RexExLiberi

RexExLiberi Jedi Knight

Jan 17, 2016
    I went into both sequel movies with basically no expectations as far as plot points.
    My only wish was to be amazed, bewildered, fascinated and captivated by amazing visuals, compelling characters and a plot that was a worthy continuation to our beloved saga and while not all expectations were betrayed, I still don't think the ST can be seen a success (aside from financial). And for this reason I think it should end with the third movie.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  23. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    He took a long time to do it but I think most people figured there would be more films eventually due to it doing so well but with this trilogy unless Ep 9 really turns it around for a lot of people I don't see people getting hyped at all for the next trilogy like they did for the PT and ST.

24. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    MOD EDIT: Nope. You don't speak for us.

I would love an episode X with these characters. Even better, if there were a way to interleave the RJ and D&D trilogies in the same timeline and then build up to a crossover episode X with Rey, Finn, Kylo etc, that would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know I'm kind of late on responding to this, but I agree this is how Episode IX may feel to me too-especially if it does take place several years later. I agree that to me now, TFA feels very much like an intro-I've said before on here it really plays out mostly as almost like a "two-hour teaser trailer" for the ST. That's okay with me though, cos recently I decided to try watching TFA and TLJ together-one right after the other. And it was actually quite enjoyable. When not taken as its own entity, IMO TLJ plays a bit better. I've also always said that IMO TFA and TLJ really feel like they could've been edited down and made into just one episode, and we'd then have two more installments to move the story forward (something I believe Episode IX really will have a big task of).