main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT should we drop the "prequel" tag from the prequel trilogy ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cantthinkofone, Jan 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Actually that is wrong, back in 1977, a person seeing ANH for the first would know NOTHING about the SW world, Jedi, characters, planets, history and all that. ANH is made to be the introduction, to set up the Universe and establish everything that is needed for that story.

TPM was made as the fourth film and was made knowing that the audience knew stuff about SW, like what lightsabers were, what Jedi are, the Force etc.
    Ex, characters, in ANH, ALL the character were new, none had been seen before.
    In TPM, quite a few of the characters were established already.
    Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, R2, C3PO, Palpatine, Jabba.
    Padme had been talked about but not seen.

The senate had been established already as had the Jedi Order, Hyperspace, Tatooine, Sand People, the Force.

TPM adds more details but that is because ANH/the OT had done some of the heavy lifting already.

That is pretty common with sequels, they might be able to add more specific details because the original had established and set up the world.
    Matrix Reloaded added a whole bunch of stuff, backdoors, rogue programs, the Key maker, the Architect, the Merovignian, we saw Zion for the first time. But could you do that in the first film? Not likely as you would overload the story.

First, appeal to authority fallacy.
    Second, Lucas had also said that SW was the story of Luke, he has said that he had outlines for an ST and then denied he ever said that and the ST was an invention by the media. Take what he says with a grain of salt.
    Luke is the focus, the main character of the OT, nothing Lucas says will change that.

Apologies if I came at you but this had been the subject of discussion in this thread for a while. That the writing of Lucas in the PT was such that bad guys did not need a backstory and motivation. That such would only humanize them.
    So I was trying to understand what you think "Lucas style" is.
    And as others have said, dropping plot points does not seem it.

Lucas has a style to be sure, the visuals and musical cues is one. He also does not let people tell him what he can and can not do. He will try and make it work. And unlike what some say, he does listen to other people. If they present a valid argument, he will listen. And if he thinks that it is better, he might change it. But he is also the boss and at the end of the day, if he has decided one way, that is what it will be.

But is the PT and the OT made in the same style?
    I think there are similarities to be sure but also some differences. I think the dialogue is more wordy in the PT. The characters are bit more aloof and distant. And while the PT was planned more than the OT, which was made a bit on the fly. But even so, things in the PT were changed late in the game. And to me, some of the late changes were more noticeable in the PT than the OT.

I do not think this was planting seeds but rather world building and character backstory and motivation.
    It explains that there was a war fairly recently. Obi-Wan fought in it as a general so he has a military background. He served Leia's father so that explains why she came to him for help, the past connection.
    A small thing that does quite a bit.

From what I know, in the shooting script that was filmed, there was Sido-Dyas, a person that Mace and Yoda knew was no Jedi. On top of that, Jango mentioned he was hired by Darth Tyrannus, who Mace and Yoda knew had to be a Sith. They also speculated that the clone army was ordered by someone in the senate, who was possibly looking to start a war.

During reshoots, this was changed and now we have Sifo-Dyas, Jango only mentions Tyrannus now and the Jedi speculating is gone.
    Also Lucas later had the idea that Sifo-Dyas was actually a Sith, the Sith apprentice before Maul.
    I do not think that makes much sense.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

Dandelo likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Please remember to share you thoughts and opinions without resorting to bashing or being condescending to others - this goes for everyone. Thanks and have a nice day.

Guidman likes this.
  3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ha! I see what you are saying, but I can let examples like these go for my viewing pleasure. I think all movies (well action ones) suffer from this kind of thing. It's like TDK, you've got a terrorist dressed like a clown and the whole country expects a rather corrupt police force and a guy dressed as a bat to sort it out themselves, we accept it because the movie is what it is.

4. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    [​IMG]
    You've seen it all? In regards to what?
    Our registration dates suggest I've been around a bit longer than you. No? Is this like a merit badge? Bragging rights? An affirmation of authority? I'm not sure what you are getting at.

None of this negates the idea that there is an argument to be had that Star Wars: A New Hope is still the best entry point into the series.

Again, you don't have to agree with this point, but this take clearly exists as you can clearly see by perusing this very thread. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not telling you this is some kind of immutable fact, but a differing opinion that certainly has merit/validity.

I'm honestly trying to understand you, not win an internet argument trophy/flamewar/whatever. I am open to your opinions as I hope to never be so obstinate, moronic, or condescending that I would refuse listen to a fellow Star Wars fan. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    After further consideration and consulting with the mod squad I don't see a need for this thread to continue. We aren't dropping the Prequel tag here and I doubt others will for obvious reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.