main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate Census Should we make DST or standard time permanent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 16, 2022.

?

(This isn’t a Bacon poll)

1. DST

2. Standard

3. Keep switching every year

4. We must adjust the calendar to that of the post-dimensional Glorpogons posthaste

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    The US Senate voted unanimously to pass a bill making DST permanent. What do you think?

edit: and apparently titles of polls cannot be edited (makes sense, actually)

Also, if you’re not clear on this: DST is when it’s sunnier later and standard is sunnier earlier

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Given the choice, permanent DST because the extra hour is not useful in the morning to a night owl like me that oversleeps and then scrambles to get to work, then walks out of the building straight into the setting sun in the winter. Give it to me in the evening when I can have an hour of daylight after work to accomplish useful things with it, even in the dead of winter.

But really, I'd be almost as happy with permanent standard time. JUST STOP CHANGING THE MOTHER****ING CLOCKS ON ME!!!!!

Arwen Sith likes this.
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think we should do what Chile does, where the government has to pass a new law about this every 6-12 months and annoy the heck out of everyone.

Runjedirun and Lord Vivec like this.
  4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Permanent DST because it sucks when it becomes dark at 4:30 during December and January in NYC

5. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Fixed

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We, like our forefathers the ancients, should have 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night at all times, regardless of latitude or time of year. It is the length of hours which should change, not the length of sunlight.

Pensivia likes this.
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I used to be annoyed by the DST switching every year, but I just don’t care anymore; it’s an overblown thing, the reaction to it… let it be. :p

8. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Any of those solutions are only temporary fixes, considering the Earth's rotation on itself is slowing down. What will the point of DST/ST be when the days are 27:34:12:897 long?

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Never heard of this.

Vaderize03 and DarthTunick like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m in favor of abolishing time itself. Entropy can kiss my ass. ΔS moar liek ΔSucks.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Standard. The sun should never stay out past 8 pm.

Runjedirun likes this.
  12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Under a majority of latitudes, it disagrees :p

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I never used to mind changing the clocks. Now having to manage a toddler's routine around that, I'm perhaps slightly in favour of abolishing the biannual change.

As for my preference, I don't have a strong one either way - at our latitudes, it will always be light at ridiculous o'clock in the summer (05:00 at DST, 04:00 at standard) and dark pretty early in winter (16:00 at standard, 17:00 at DST). I guess if I had to choose I'd probably go with DST, as I'd rather have a bit more sunlight at the end of the day, although that would mean no light on winter mornings until 09:00. Ugh. No way to win at this latitude! :p

Pensivia and Lordban like this.
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I say keep switching
    Advantage: The clock on my oven is correct for half a year, while the clock in the car is correct for the other half of the year
    Disadvantage: Once a year I don't have my morning glory in bed but on the bus

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Dildo Swaggins

16. S. Raw Rats

S. Raw Rats Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I like DST because that’s an extra hour on the water in the summer and fall before dark.

18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    DST. On my 12 hour work days the sun helps me see the address on your house, thus reducing the risk of me dropping your toilet paper on the wrong doorstep.

jcgoble3 and Pensivia like this.
  19. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    DST all the way, baby. Sleeping in on a cold winter morning is the best!

jcgoble3 and Coruscant like this.
  20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Spoken like a true Glorpogon :rolleyes:

Ramza likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    DST all the way. I ****ing hate when it's dark at 5pm.

solojones and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I like switching bc one day a year I get an extra hour of sleep

instead of switching back I should just get another extra hour of sleep in March

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My time should be permanent. I show up to work and leave whenever I feel like it and it's always a full day. I don't need to make a doctor's appointment because they're always ready for me when I walk in. I can get my car washed at 8 pm. I turn on the TV and the show that comes out the next day is on.

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Similarly, the most convenient thing for me would be if the entire world adopted U.S. Central Daylight Time. If I fly from Vienna at 8a.m., it should be 5 pm when I land in Chicago, not 9.a.m. 9 a.m. doesn't make any sense.

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Bacon164 like this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm kind of torn. I love the "extra hour" feeling in the fall and really hate having to get up when it's still dark outside (though I often get up so early, that even staying on standard frequently would fail to solve my problem there).

But then I also hate having to adjust to the lost hour in the spring and there are those studies linking the spring change to increases in heart attacks, etc. And I do love having daylight into the evening hours during the summer (which, being a teacher, is my absolute favorite time of year anyway:p).

So I guess I'm definitely in favor of eliminating a change either way and slightly more in favor of having DST be the one chosen.

jcgoble3 likes this.