main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate Census Should we make DST or standard time permanent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Mar 16, 2022.

?

(This isn’t a Bacon poll)

1. DST

2. Standard

3. Keep switching every year

4. We must adjust the calendar to that of the post-dimensional Glorpogons posthaste

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think it's waiting on the House.

2. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    What do most countries do?

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm so disappointed neither passed the House this year, just the Senate.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm of the opinion that switching the time is a change of pace we get twice a year that people don't realize we need. I think if it was permanently DST, it might be okay for a little while, but after a couple of decades of it, people would tire of it. Just every single day being the exact same for years and years and years would eventually make people want something different. I don't think people think that far ahead when they gripe about the time change and say we need to do away with it.

Jedimarine likes this.
  5. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    So... I'm guessing this is where your clocks go back in the autumn and forward in the spring?

I'm happy to report that this never happened when I lived in Australia. Australian Eastern Standard Time remained unchanged throughout the year. It was wonderful. Mind you, I lived in the tropics, and even Southern Queensland was sub-tropical, so the whole, 'It's now too dark in the evenings', stuff, was never a factor.

Day length there would vary by about an hour and a bit throughout the year. One other curious phenomenon you notice in the tropics is how quickly it gets dark in the evenings - somewhere between 18.00 and 18.30, depending on time of year, it would get dark with alarming speed. Get your cameras ready if you want to catch the sunset, because the sun isn't hanging around.

Now that I'm back in the UK, honestly, it's a pain to have the clocks changing once more.

One fun weirdness of the clocks remaining unchanged in Queensland is that they would change in New South Wales (NSW). Those of you familiar with the state border will know that it runs through the middle of a city of half a million people. The state border runs down the middle of Boundary Street for much of its length, so there would be half a year that folks would go forward or back in time by an hour every time they crossed the road. This is particularly noteworthy if you're down the pub, because it means that you can stagger out of a pub on one side of the border and into one on the other side, where time dictates they are still open. Probably.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022