main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Shrunken Jedi's Fan Art (Updated 7/27/09 Leia Sketch)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ShrunkenJedi, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Ok, I've been missing the pen to my tablet so no digital doodling for me recently. :( I thought I'd show off a couple of wallapers I just got inspired to do, though. I got the idea for the first one after watching Smallville, I really like the way Clark and Lex's friendship is there and changes. And then I realized that you could say some of the same things about the Obi-Wan/Anakin -> Ben/Vader relationship. So...

Clark and Lex

Anakin and Obi-Wan

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi SJ, and welcome back! Sorry to hear you lost your pen--how tough would it be to get another...? Guess I never considered that, regarding a digital tablet: there's only one pen/stylus you can use with it... [face_thinking]

I like both of these a lot: including the "adult" or "aged" versions of both characters is a nice tie-in for where they're going, so to speak. Very nice!

Hope you get a new "pen" soon--just remember that, in the meantime, there's always good ol' pencil/pen and paper! ;)

FF

...And grad...you really do read some strange L/M stuff! lol!

3. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks yet again, FF! I know I can always do pencil and paper, and I probably should more often... but I found my stylus, thankfully. I was carrying it around in my jacket pocket (long story... basically, I'd left it at home when I was at school and I was given it back), and I was doing a lot of driving... and it must've fallen out in the car, where I found it. Good thing. :)

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice job on the wallpapers. And yes, I meant my last comment as a compliment. [face_laugh]
    Yeah, that's true... and you should see the stuff I write. LOL [face_whistling]

Great job, ShrunkenJedi!!=D=

AG88

5. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, AG. :) Glad to hear you meant that last comment as a compliment :p

EDIT: Since I got back use of my tablet, I thought it was only fair I use it for a bit of practice. I decided to do a little portrait based on the same Tom Welling (Clark Kent/Superman) pic I used for my wallpaper... I think it turned out pretty well. Not perfect by a long shot, but I only used 2-3 hours on it... Click here

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I love the similarity to Hamlet and it's definitely fitting.

I also love how you have your own defined style which shows through and makes your art unique.

The duel of the fates piece with the tragedy of Obi-Wan holding his slain Master in contrast to the ominous appearance of Darth Maul standing in the backgroudn was great.

I also had no idea you made that Amphitheatre banner and I think it looks awesome.

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    2-3 hours?!

Wow!! That looks great, SJ!! =D= Likeness portraits take me weeks to finish--sometimes months!--this is wonderful! I love the contrasts and the way you've shaded it--I think my only suggestion would be to give him part of his neck (thus removing the feeling that it's a disembodied head...yeah, I'm twisted! :p ). Other than that, I think it's a wonderful piece! Wow!

FF

8. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    FF: Thanks! I'm rather proud of it myself, it's one of the more realistic things I've done. The actual time between starting it and finishing it was longer than that, but I did do it in one afternoon with breaks... Your work is so detailed, I imagine a lot of time must be taken up by that. I don't have a lot of patience for too many details :p

MS: So glad you dropped in! Art just relaxes me for some reason... so I fiddle around, and my style's always evolving. Glad you liked those psychological pieces and the Hamlet reference. And, yeah, I did make one of the Amph banners- it gives me a kick when it's up. :D

9. Stephen_Colbert

Stephen_Colbert Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2006
    It does the same for me, I just don't do it much. :p

10. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    Great portrait of Tom Welling - I love the lighting and the way you've done the hair. Good eyes too. 2-3 hours is realy fast for that kind of quality.

=D= Impressive!

11. SithlyShrunkenSock

SithlyShrunkenSock Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2004
    Soitscometosith: Thanks! I think working off a picture really helps me more than I like to admit :p

Speaking of that... I have a work-in-progress shot of a Luke sketch I've done from a piture I found... I think I might add in a somewhat aged Anakin (no suit, still has his family) in the background, already found an image I might use... :D

12. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
  13. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, SilSolo!

I added aged Anakin in the background... [image=http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9973/lukeanike7.jpg]

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    How lovely! This looks just like chalk pencils (white and black) on gray paper--but I suspect that it's been done on your tablet again...right? Beautiful job, and I love the premise: father and son, spending time together talking about youthful dreams and aspirations... Wonderful! Luke looks just like Luke--the likeness of Anakin lacks just a bit, though (and I realize you're trying to interpret how he would age from a young photo, which can be really tough!)--however, this does nothing to detract from the lovely feel of the piece. Wonderful job, SJ!

FF

15. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    [:D] Thank you, FF! Yes, it's a digital piece again. Indeed, extrapolating a reasonable older Anakin and getting him to be instantly recognisable as the same person at the same time isn't easy! I think I'll continue to work on it, there are some other things I think I can make better, too-- Anakin's eyes, for one. I'm very glad at how it turned out so far, though. The pose I found of Anakin (hunching down and peering intently up at his opponent in battle) worked out quite well for my purpose...

16. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    I did that redo of the Luke/Anakin sketch to try to make the Anakin portion of it more realistic and Anakin-like...

EDIT: And blown it up and starting to add Obi-Wan in the background here...

BTW, if anyone is interested, these are the reference photos I've been using... this for Luke, this for Anakin (good pose, least actually helpful of the bunch because of the whole aging thing of course :p) and this for Obi-Wan...

17. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    I'd also like to ask if anyone sees things I might want to fix in this preliminary linework here. It's a hobbit art project in illustrator, might see if I can get it printed as a nice big poster when I'm done... it contains references to a number of personal jokes there :p I'll go over it again, and if there's anything I need to fix, I'd rather get it done while it's still in the lineart stage than when I start coloring...

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    There's no easy way to ask this... What is he doing with his left hand?[face_worried] Is this part of the joke?

Apart from that it looks fine.

19. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I like Luke and Obi-Wan, but Anakin looks a little too old. Wouldn't he be about 40 years old when Luke is that age? I still think he would have his good looks. But other than that I think it looks good.

AG88

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, soits! [face_shame_on_you] [face_laugh]

First, SJ, the Father-and-Son piece--still loving the atmosphere of it, and adding in old Ben just contributes to this! I totally see your problem, with the ref for Anakin--not only is it a tough angle, but in the photo, he also looks pretty maniacal (seeing as it's during his epic duel with Obi Wan on Mustafaar, it's understandable...), so I can certainly see where it would be giving you some grief, trying to use it for an older (and gentler) version. In any case, I still like this piece a lot--it's still a great premise, and I love the idea of Luke and his father having a warm relationship.

The little Hobbit piece is very cute (and I think the man is simply patting his stomach, perhaps in appreciation of the meal just consumed or yet to come! ;) )--and aren't you the sweet little "Hobbit-tess?" :) This is going to be very cute when colored--it reminds me a lot of an illustration from a children's book, or something like that. Nice linework, very clean (in the tablet again?).

FF

21. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Soits- No, it wasn't intended as anything 'off-colour' :p But I'll admit that it could look that way. Glad it looks ok otherwise to you :)

AG88- Yeah, I know he's around 40... I might've made him look a *little* younger. I'll probably work on him *again* :p Glad it looks good to you otherwise.

FF- Thanks, I'm always so glad to get comments from you! Yeah, Anakin's not cooperating (but should that really surprise me-- when has he ever been cooperative? :p) I think it's looking more like him now, though. Glad you like Obi-Wan in there (I need to finish shading him in, mostly his robes :p), and glad you still like the premise! For the hobbit piece, you pretty much got the explanation down for the hand placement (like I said, it's not supposed to have any off-color connotation), although his expression does include a certain amount of flirting (the guy hobbit is my boyfriend put into hobbit form :D). I did a sketch of the linework on my tablet, yes, but transfered it to illustrator, which is why it's so smooth. Glad you like it.

22. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    Pretty cool!

For the Luke/Anakin pic, it's nice that you have a composition representative of the idealogical mentoring relationship-- Obi-Wan looking over Anakin looking over Luke. Ideally, they're all happy without an inkling of arrogance.

Your guy hobbit reminds me a little of Andy Capp. I laughed and I don't know why.

23. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Vandalier - Thanks for commenting! I like the idea of Obi-Wan looking over the two Skywalkers, and Anakin being able to see his son, too. And your comment about arrogance :) Glad my lineart got a reaction out of you, too :)

24. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    I did work on the Anakin likeness for the Luke/Anakin/Obi-Wan piece *again*... thanks for getting me to keep working on it, AG88, I think it looks a lot better :p I was thinking that now Anakin looks too young in comparison to Obi-Wan (should be about a 15 year diff, right?), but maybe not *shrug*. I still need to work on it some more, fill in Obi-Wan's clothing, make everything look less sketchy... but at least I think I'm finally finding the right look for Anakin. That's something.

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think that's looking really good. Luke is wonderfully rendered: likeness, the way you've done his hair, the ease of his pose... all great. Obi-Wan is coming along nicely, too. The one thing I don't like is Anakin's mustache/ mouth. I think the bottom part of his smile is too low.

I hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.