main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Before - Legends Shunning Shelter- Sequel to 'A Change of Plans' 8.5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Shunning Shelter
    A Sequel to 'A Change of Plans'

By LuvEwan

Rating: PG-13

Main Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Ullo Tirr (Original Character)

Disclaimer: Nothing belongs to me, nor do I make any profit.

DEDICATED TO all you irritating she-devils who bugged me to do this. Without your annoying persistence (looks at o_e) this would not be possible. Hee hee. Seriously though, thanks to every one of you who offered feedback while I was writing ACOP. Your tremendous support is a large reason why I'm writing a sequel. It means so much to know that Ullo has won a place in your hearts, especially when I thought he would be a disaster. He's been such a surprise, because I never thought I'd write an OC that would have the tiniest bit of staying power, and now I'm actually excited to give him a back story and-maybe-a Padawan. So a huge THANK YOU to all of you: o_e, Shaindl, diane, PK, Opal, Kynstar, shanobi, Antigone, Lurkalidth, jedimommie2, jeday, Kadi, Captain Observant..and Sheila, my partner in Ani-bashing. I feel so lucky to have a support system composed of such wonderful, talented and insightful people.

After the tumultuous mission to Eume'Li, Knight Ullo Tirr must confront a life he now barely recognizes. Meanwhile, Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice search for balance to a connection that has been shattered by revelation.

_()_

It wasn't real.

That was the only explanation. He had slowly and carefully catalogued the possibilities, words full of blame and sour, bitter dejection--even horror flashing through his mind. His stomach was roiling and a thickness was layering fast in his throat.

But it
    couldn't be his fault.

No. Because only a few hours before, nothing was out of place. Things were as they always had been. It was logical that they would continue down that avenue of predictability and stability, the same landscape surrounding him.

Untouched. Undefiled.

He had promise. That's what Master Yoda had told him. It was the spot of brilliant sunshine in his panorama. Nothing could cloud that radiance. For years, it was a source of warmth.

He didn't want to be held responsible.

He didn't want to be in the dark.

_()_

Jedi Knight Ullo Tirr stood in the doorway to his quarters. He knew it must be the same for everyone, when returning from an off-planet assignment. The Temple was a polished stone among the ever-increasing pile of grit that was polluting Coruscant, the galaxy.

Hells, even the air carried a clean, sweetened scent.

The same could not be said for the various worlds a Knight traveled while pursuing a mission. Take Eume'Li, for example?

Ullo's breath quickened at the thought. He sealed his eyes and pictured a kata, going through the movements, every step choreographed and measured.

Get a hold of yourself, for stars' sake. With that chastisement, Ullo opened his eyes. Sharp emerald trailed the length of the shadowed room. Home. Crisp, stainless, orderly home. Far different from the tangled mess he struggled through on Eume'Li. To reassume one's life after such an ordeal was difficult enough, but to do so while encompassed by such perfection was nearly impossible.

Here dwelled some of the most battle-hardened souls in the Universe, but you could never tell by the shining walls and serene meditation areas. The Temple demanded its inhabitants to reflect that calm.

So it was with a heavy heart that Ullo stepped through the threshold into the common room.

Laying on the table was a stack of holonotes for an involved research project. At the start of his last mission, his mind was crowded with ideas and half-composed paragraphs. But now, looking down, that eagerness was drained from him. It seemed a nearly foreign notion, to devote so much time, such energy to an essentially needless endeavor.

Something inside him rebelled against the thought.

He gl

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great start!!!! Woo-hoo! She's doing a sequal!!

Poor Tirr... he's realizing soo much. Rather or not things will get back to normal. Prob not my dear fellow, prob not. Can't wait for more!!!

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Hot damn! Ullo gets his own story! :D So thrilled you were inspired to write this! [face_laugh] Can't wait for more!

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Amazing start! I can't wait for more. So glad there is a sequel.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sequels here! Wheeee :)

6. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Yay! A sequel - loved 'Change of Plans', and now it's continued :) I love the change in Ullo's viewpoint on things.

7. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Yippee! You're righting a sequel! Wonderful start and patiently waiting for more.(tapping foot) Have you got that next part ready?

8. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Yeah! A sequel! :D Loved 'Change of Plans' and am really looking forward to seeing into Ullo's background.

I rather lurked on the other thread - I apologize for that. Just wanted to let you know that you did have another reader who thoroughly enjoyed it and is very much looking forward to this one. :)

~Bek

9. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    [face_smug]Knew there'd be a sequel.[/face_smug] :D

Great job, LE! SO glad you're finally taking the plunge into really exploring an OC. I can't wait to see what you do with him.

Shaindl

10. Opal

Opal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Yess!! A sequel. I knew we could hound you into doing one. :D

11. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    Yay, a sequel.

Glad to see Ullo back, and maybe even with the chance of a Padawan [face_batting] [face_batting]

12. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Kynstar Thank you! :D

o_e I'll never forgive you for this. :p

VaderLVR64 Thanks! :)

PK :D

Anaria-Zar-Rel Thank you. ;) I think we'll see many changes in Ullo. :)

jm2 Rather impatient, aren't we? [face_laugh]

Bekah_K Just glad to know you're reading! :)

Shaindl Nowwww, how to wipe that smug look off your haggish face.. [face_devil]

opal Thank you. [face_love]

Tanith Thanks! :D

_()_

Obi-Wan stood at the mirror, watching as the steam dispersed around him, leaving his face flushed and the glass fogged. He was never one to linger in the shower, at least not when he had other pressing matters to attend to. The apprentice had to admit that delivering the Eume'Li mission report fell under that category, as well as another: 'Things he deeply, deeply did not want to do'.

So he indulged himself the few extra minutes. He lathered his hair and body at leisure, careful of the muscles still sore from his recent illness.

Now, waiting for his reflection to surface through the dense air, Obi-Wan was refreshed. But the jetting streams of warm water couldn't quite cleanse the film from his skin. The jungle's shadow clung to him, in the lifeless eyes of the desiccated animal corpses, the sweat, the wind coarsened by dust.

And, most of all, the devastating pain that twisted his Master's features, when it was revealed to him his own Padawan's mistrust.

Obi-Wan had not witnessed for himself this scene. Yet his dreams during recuperation provided him the image and though it was conjured, it didn't seem dramatized.

The eyes swept downward, the deep lines chiseled into his once-proud face. Beneath that web of sorrow and grief lay what had been there from the beginning.

Disappointment.

Obi-Wan had tried to apologize. Qui-Gon would not hear it. Some wrongs were too colossal to be sated with mere words.

Obi-Wan wondered if any repentance would ever be enough, or if this breach between them, this ugly thing that kept him locked away while his Master waited, would close.

A tiny voice whispered that Qui-Gon cared, offering memory of their reunion in the medical center as proof. But Obi-Wan was skeptic that that rapture would have remained unwavering if Qui-Gon knew then what he knew now.

He's given me everything. My life as a Jedi. The lessons I needed to learn to become a man.

"And what do I give in return?" He asked softly of the sunburned face staring back at him.

"Obi-Wan, it's time to go."

His Master's call didn't jerk him. A sadness poured through Obi-Wan, seeping into his lungs so that every breath was an ache. "I give him another reason to doubt me."

He began dressing. Another reason to regret the pity he showed me.

Qui-Gon walked through the gleaming Temple corridors, his apprentice beside him but two steps behind, as was custom.

Today, it felt like much wider a gap.

He knew he should say something. Obi-Wan was rarely the first to break silence, and never did so early into an argument.

Perhaps he's allowing me to be tortured. The Master considered, in a brief bout of weakness quickly dissolved. But then, I'm not the only victim.

Immensely troubled by the thought, he redirected his focus to the approaching task. What was there to report concerning Eume'Li? Yes, the jungle area was in serious turmoil and indeed, assistance from the Senate was required.

But what else would be asked of him? Would the Council want to know the details of Obi-Wan's ailment? What would he tell them?

'It was touch and go for a long while, but Obi-Wan survived and he has successfully recovered.'

That seemed sufficient. After all, his behavior toward the planet's officials might come into question. It would not aid his case in the least to burst out to the revered assembly that Obi-Wan had died, for that wicked cluster of seconds, and now every time he glanced at his Padawan, he saw that pale, purpling face, fel

13. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Yay, another post! Wonderful scene with the Council. Agreeing with Qui-Gon for once :) Can't wait to see what happens when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have some time to talk :) I love the way you write those two, just perfect, and glad to see more of Ullo too!

14. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Obi and Qui really need to get their act together! They are setting a bad example for our dear Ullo. :mad:

15. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    "After reviewing the circumstances outlined in your report, we choose to," Adi smiled, "Politely overlook your behavior, Master Jinn."

Sounds like Adi, Yoda, and Mace know exactly what went on when Obi was ill. I wonder if Obi read that report. If not, maybe he needs to. Perhaps it might reveal some things to him about his master that Ullo tried to tell him about.

~Bek

16. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    *Whew* that's a relief! Though I don't think Qui was relieved... I think he secretly wished they'd (the Council) to have punished him... Poor Qui...

Yeah.. Obi & Qui need to have that 'talk' that's for sure!!

Great work!!! :D :D

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the whole Council scene. That they understood just why Qui acted as he did and what options he had at the time were marvelous. A Council scene where they were actually sympathetic!!!! Wow.

And, of course, our own Obi-Wan taking it all exactly the WRONG way! Those two need to talk and talk and talk until they both understand what the other is really saying.

Wonderful job as always!

18. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Poor Ullo. The council sees Qui-Gon in this instance as the perfect master. Ullo needs to see bad things to help him decide not to take a pet. [face_devil] The brainwashing of the master to be has begun 8-}

19. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    A sequel so quickly LE! Wonderful! :D

I hope that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon can have that talk soon as their misunderstanding just seems to grow by the minute. :( I loved the reaction of the Council, so nice to see them be understanding and sympathetic for once. :)

20. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    I loved the council meeting - I'm glad they realised the reason for Qui-Gon's outburst and are not punishing himr for it. The leaders of Eume'Li sound like a bunch of irrational brats.

21. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Loved the council scene! For once they didn't blast Qui-Gon--what a relief. Now maybe Qui and Obi can concentrate on helping each other. Great post!

22. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Yes, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have to talk. Hmmm, but I think you'll not give them a chance to do so too soon? [face_devil] :D

23. Opal

Opal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    It just wouldn't be Qui and Obi if they weren't miscommunicating somehow. :D

24. In_Luv_wit_kenobi

In_Luv_wit_kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 2003
    :confused: hey where'd everybody go? it's been five days since last post/update. five!!! :eek: LE can we please have an update? [face_batting] pretty please @};-

[face_chicken]

25. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Okay I need to post quick before my computer goes kablooie:

_()_

Qui-Gon felt the Force presence of Obi-Wan dwindle as he moved toward the Healing Ward. It seemed the others sensed it as well, that they were in fact waiting for him to meld within the distant, communal pulse of the Temple.

Yoda's ever-weary eyes thrilled to wideness before settling into slits again. "Hmm. Disturbed, your apprentice is."

The Master studied the elfish alien intently. He wasn't very surprised. There was a reason Yoda was revered as the most gifted Jed in the Order. For better or worse, he detected emotion that others would dismiss under layers of shielding. In this instance, Qui-Gon was grateful for the old Master's sharpened intellect. Perhaps an outside opinion would help him deal with Obi-Wan's disharmony. Force let's hope so.

But then, the dominating voice of the Chamber was possessed by Mace Windu, and the smoothly skinned councilor did not speak of Obi-Wan's current condition.

"Master Qui-Gon, Knight Ullo, you say that the rain was unscheduled when it fell in the Eume'Li jungle?"

"Yes, Master." Both replied.

"And the rainfall coincided with Obi-Wan's resuscitation?"

Ullo was as solemn as Qui-Gon had seen the man during their short but intense friendship. "It did. At the same moment he took a breath, the rain began to pour. If I may say so Masters, it was the most incredible phenomenon I have ever witnessed."

"Heard of this, I have." Yoda drummed his fingers slowly against his mottled cane. "But not in many, many years."

The tenure of the Master's memory surpassed any other creature within the Temple several times over. Eight centuries deepened the creases in the loose green skin, rimmed the lime eyes in withered sockets--and gave Yoda the life experience rivaled only by immortal races.

What 'many, many years' meant to Qui-Gon and Ullo could be in tremendous contrast to what it meant to Yoda.

"Strong in the Force, is Obi-Wan. Purely strong in the Light."

Qui-Gon's eyes stared sightlessly at the tiled floor. His heart was immersed in the thunder of the moment, afraid and intrigued by the tone the room had undertaken. Obi-Wan was a powerful member of the Jedi. Irreplaceable. But that, Qui-Gon already knew, a stance solidified forever by the close call on the jungle's bitter, cold ground.

The thin lips parted once more. "Sometimes, grasp to the living, the dying must. A reach for vibrancy in the dark."

Qui-Gon blinked. "The jungle--bonded with Obi-Wan?"

"Mmm. Among thick shadows, a beacon, the Light is. The Light in young Obi-Wan, the jungle's weakening aura clung to." Yoda's expression softened. "For in peril, needed strength, the jungle did. The trees, the birds. Yes. The earth itself."

Ullo frowned in quiet confusion. "And when Obi-Wan died?"

"More than mournful, was the corpse around you."

Qui-Gon's mind was speeding along with his frenzied heartbeat. Such a situation, he had never entertained! "When Obi-Wan's spirit was revitalized--"

"Like taking a breath for two, he was. A gulp of life for the jungle." The faintest of smiles. "The rain."

For one rumored to have immovable resolve, Qui-Gon was worried his knees would give out. He and Ullo had been suspicious of the hold Eume'Li was having on them, especially Obi-Wan. But they never discussed the possibility of?what was considered the impossible. It was almost laughable.

Yet he could not muster much mirth. He knew what if felt like to hold his Padawan, dead and limp. Nothing about the Eume'Li mission could be taken lightly.

"We believe this should be documented, Qui-Gon. As an example of the superior abilities of the Light Side of the Force. We dismissed Obi-Wan because we didn't want to overwhelm him with this new information. Not after his brush with.." Mace hesitated, seeing the strained look Qui-Gon carried. "Not after this ordeal."

"We believe he should be told," Adi continued, "But perhaps in a less?intimidating arena. After enough time has passed, I'm sure you can handle the duty, Qui-Go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.