main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Shunning Shelter- Sequel to 'A Change of Plans' 8.5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Woohoo! A post! So, it wasn't just coincidence that it rained at the same time that Obi-Wan breathed. Hmm.. very interesting. I wonder how Obi will take that? Can't wait for more :)

2. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Very interesting LE, I too wonder what Obi-Wan will think of this new development.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Not sure how Obi-Wan will take that information. And I have to wonder what the Council has to say to Qui-Gon.

Looking forward to more.

4. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Oh, interesting. I look forward to see where you take it, and how Qui's gonna tell Obi about this.

5. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I was also wondering about the odd coincidence

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Aye ditto :) I didn't think it was juz a coincidence, especially after those guys didn't believe him about the rain. :D Another little tidbit about our fav Paddy! :D woo-hoo! :D

7. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Perhaps an outside opinion would help him deal with Obi-Wan's disharmony.

I think Yoda's about to help him with this matter - at least I hope so. But Qui isn't exactly in harmony with himself either. I think Yoda needs to sit them both down and have a nice long talk with them. ;)

Good job LE! Can't wait for more! :)

~Bek

8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    As intrigued as I am about how Obi-Wan will react to his connection with the forest, I'm more intrigued about why Qui was held back by Yoda. And by Ullo taking a Padawan. Loved the post, LE!

Shaindl

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Hum. Very curious was this posty. [face_thinking]

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Gack! What does the Council want with him now? Why won't they just leave him alone :p Poor man is already exhausted...blast you LE.. I had only intended to skim excerpts and read the first few posts to try to figure out my voting but you got me all distracted and I wound up reading Change of Plans all the way through PLUS this one :p

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    **Ugh. I'm freakin' sick. :_| My glads are so swollen, my Gollum impression isn't even up to par. :D **

AnariaZar-Rel Thank you! :)

Sheila I wonder... [face_mischief]

diane Yoda has quite a bit to say to him. :eek:

Opal ;)

PK Yeah, a little too much of a coincidence, wasn't it? [face_laugh]

Kynstar :D

Bekah_K There's a talk in this post, but not the one you're looking for. [face_devil]

Shaindl Don't get your hopes up. I'll probably just disappoint. And Ullo's starting to scare me, trying to think of some stuff for him in this fic. :_|

o_e Hmmm... o_O

Layren Thank you for the review, both here and at 'A Change of Plans'. Too bad you won't be saved from the cliffies this time around. [face_laugh]

_()_

Obi-Wan heaved a breath before entering the Healing Ward. It was an unnecessary visit, of course. A precautionary measure that would accomplish nothing, save waste his time.

And just what would I be doing with this time? Dodging Qui-Gon?

Sinking back into the discontented shadows coiled within him, the apprentice met the receptionist at the front desk.

A fresh-faced Healer with a slim, flaxen Padawan braid dangling at her ear greeted him. "Good morning, Padawan Kenobi. You're here for your checkup?"

Obi-Wan nodded. "Yes."

The girl glanced with keenly trained eyes at a data pad, tracing her fingers down a column until she found his name, then highlighted it with a quick touch.

"Currently most of the healers are attending a new technique-intensive seminar. And since you're not an emergency case," She glanced up with a small smile, "One of our programmed physicians will be directing your checkup. Room 2A. Right down that hallway, Padawan Kenobi."

A half-bow. "Thank you." He followed the direction she had pointed toward. Well, there's a bit of luck. 'Programmed physicians' was a technical term for med droids and to Obi-Wan, that was a purely beautiful beacon of light. He never relished being prodded both mentally and physically by the Temple healers. There were two breeds he had encountered during his numerous visits. The stern healers that didn't much care if their instruments were stored on Hoth and lowered Obi-Wan's temperature to a shivering degree with every touch.

And then there were the fussing healers. They were the preferable of the two, displaying compassion almost to a fault. As nice as it was to be worried over, he didn't need to be lectured on the dangers of running alongside a swimming pool or performing certain katas blindfolded.

That was what his Master was for.

The thought garnered a deep ache, as he expected it to. Obi-Wan started to straighten his tunics, then wondered why he bothered, and entered the examining room.

_()_

Once silence had fallen in the absence of the other Jedi, Yoda turned to Qui-Gon, his small body leaning against the gimer stick. The wide eyes were fastened to the taller, broader Master, moving down his form with deliberate slowness.

Qui-Gon was well accustomed to being under the renowned sage's appraisal. Normally, he would not be irked by such focused attention. But the very foundations of his connection with Obi-Wan had been uprooted ,as well as a few of his own, personal truths.

The Master was adult enough to admit it. He was antsy.

Finally, Yoda settled his eyes on the other's face. "Surprised, you were, by the incident on Eume'Li." When Qui-Gon didn't answer, the Master clarified, "The rain."

"Yes," Qui-Gon replied, without the slightest measure of delay. A smile ghosted his tired face. "Weren't you?"

The clawed hands drummed, warring with the glimmer of pale jade eyes. "Not so much as you, I believe."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Tell me, Master. Does anything surprise you?" He watched morning projected as pallid shafts on the floor, where a few moments earlier, his Padawan had stood. "Before, during the meeting, you said he was disturbed." The Master lock

12. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Beautifully written. Yoda's dialogue was some of the best I've seen. Great job - and I hope Qui is strong enough.

Shaindl

13. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| Why do you make them suffer so much!?

14. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    Great conversation there between Qui-Gon and Yoda. Can't wait to see what happens when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have time to talk :) Fantastic writing, love this story!

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Great work! I, also, loved the talk with Yoda & Qui.

Poor Obi... he's gonna have to have a talk with Qui sooner or later. And it needs to be sooner than later.

Hopefully what Yoda says will be taken to heart. Sometimes Qui needs a good jarring! ;)

Excellent chappie!

16. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Great post! Loved the interaction between Yoda and Qui-Gon. Beautifully written. You are truly amazing in your writing! Looking forward to more.

17. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
  18. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooho Lovely post! I know too bad I have to wait for cliffies this time -- ahh well I'll trust you'll remedy them soon, yes? :)

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This just gets better and better! I simply can't wait for the next update. Wonderful job!

20. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Yoda's quite perceptive. I hope he can help Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. :(

21. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Yes, Joda knows how to speak to Qui-Gon. :)

22. captainjack

captainjack Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2004
    Yay!! Sequel!!

*Dances around the room, extremely excited until she crashes into the wall*

Poor Obi! :_| Qui, get off your butt and do something about it!

Happy Independence Day [face_flag]

23. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    Good on you Yoda, get it through to Qui-Gon that he should be telling Obi how he feels about him.

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't want to say I hate this fic...but okay, let's face it, I do. I don't know why it's so difficult to write, but every time I look for inspiration, I come up dry. That's why I went so long without posting. I really have to push myself for a post. Thank you all for your support. [:D] And thank you for the awards that 'A Change of Plans' was honored with. I really wasn't expecting it, which made it all the more sweet. :)

Shaindl Thank you. [face_love]

o_e Well, of course they have to suffer! How else can I torture you? [face_devil]

AnariaZar-Rel Thanks! :)

Kynstar Thank you so much. ;)

jm2 Thank you for your kind words. :)

PK ;)

Layren Yeah, about resolving those cliffies 'soon'... [face_blush]

VaderLVR64 So sorry for the delay. I'm so glad you're enjoying. :)

Calantha :)

Captainjack Thanks for reading! :D

Tanith Hopefully. ;)

_()_

Obi-Wan suppressed a sigh. He supposed he didn't need to; what would this non-sentient care if there was a sudden gust of boredom stirred in the air? It would continue its mechanical regimen undeterred, storing information away behind a slightly beaten metal façade, unaware, uncaring of anything about Obi-Wan, outside of his name and the readouts of various tests.

But, even with that in mind, Obi-Wan held his hopeless breath inside, too trained, he supposed, not to.

His thoughts threatened to amble toward the Council meeting, and the feeling of standing isolated among friends--mentors. It was a new kind of torture for him, knowing that Qui-Gon was aware of the doubt that lay lodged inside him like a cold stone. And after his Master had admitted his fears on Eume'Li! What the man must think of him?

He blinked, forcing the worry behind his eyes and out of his mind. Too much had occurred on that planet for him to shoulder all at once. In order to function, he needed to organize his thoughts, focus.

The sharpness would blunt, the shiver of near-death remembrance would still. It merely required time.

_()_

Qui-Gon was surprised to find Knight Tirr waiting for him in the dim antechamber outside the Council room.

"Did he attack you with that stick of his?"

The Master chuckled. "Thankfully, no. I escaped without a bruise."

Ullo lifted a dark eyebrow. "Really?"

"Relatively speaking." The tone was slightly sardonic, smile weary. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be?" But the words were chased from Qui-Gon's mouth without vocalization.

"Thought I'd be what?" Ullo prompted, walking beside the taller, broader figure. "Reveling in my solitary existence? Living it up, a woman on one arm, champagne in the other hand?"

"I was going to say," Qui-Gon corrected, "Dead asleep."

"Oh." The color deepened in Ullo's cheeks, but he shrugged it off, and grinned. "Been there, done that." The Knight's expression eased to one of sympathy. "And you?"

They strolled along an open corridor, the air suspended in a golden flush that reflected on their faces. It did nothing to purge the shadows from beneath Qui-Gon's eyes. "Sleep and I have been only marginally acquainted, these days."

Ullo slipped his hands in his sleeves, arms crossed. "Is he alright?"

"You saw him." Qui-Gon answered.

The other man merely nodded, but the action caught Qui-Gon's attention. "And what did you think--when you saw him?"

Ullo was pinned in a bad spot, and he recognized it immediately. Doing his best not to grit his teeth or wince, "I thought he looked pretty good?for someone who was nearly eaten by a bug. An evil pipsqueak of a bug, I should say."

"You're putting it very kindly." The man smiled. "In my mind, I've conjured quite a few more names for it."

The Knight chuckled. "And knowing what you've thought up for Master Yoda, I can only imagine."

They came to the lift. Qui-Gon appeared to hesitate, hands going to his hips, eyes straying to his surroundings. A man floundering, looking to outmaneuver his executioner.

A frown flitted over Ull

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhh Qui still having a hard time about Obi's passing/returning. That's sweet... I'd be still concern too if he had been my Paddy!

Great update! :D Ahhh we love you LE! And no inspiration? Well hon, juz come here to the boards ;) You'll have all you need!! :D Cuz I have been enjoy ALL your fics!! You're such an awespiring writer! :D And your portrayal of the characters are juz great! :D

Sounds like you need a hug! [face_hug] And I know I'm not the only reader who thinks that you're the greatest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.