main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Glad you got refunded RK. But I totally understand being paranoid now.

My frustrating event of the week (well, other than my horrible mis-adventures with my insulin pump, which is just a whole different story, but I'm on a list to get a brand new snazzy one in mid-January or so, so I only have to put up with this one for like 2 more months max probably) the clothes dryer died last night. UGH. It still runs, but it doesn't get warm so my roommate called around to see if it was worth fixing or if we should just go get a new one, and between the new parts probably needed, plus labor, it made more sense to just go buy a new one (because there was a sale on a very similar one). Which kinda sucks because the thing is only 4.5 years old, but if our epic with our furnace earlier this year taught us anything, it's that sometimes fixing something just ends up adding to the cost of replacing it in a few months.

If things could stop breaking, that would be nice.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    EP- That musem sounds like one I'd love! Also, yum to that chicken. Sounds delish!
    There's a museum in a city about about 2 hours from where I live that does medical oddities I really want to go see at some point. There's a lot of other things to see in that city, it has a lot of historical significance in the US (Philadelphia) so I want to go for other reasons, but that museum is a big one.

Striker- Glad they refunded your money! I know that is really scary!

Ugh, Bri, isn't that pretty much a new insulin pump? That's really frustrating.
    And yeah, I've found replacing things like washers and dryers tend to be less expensive than fixing it, unless it's a really simple issue like an O-ring, or it's unbalanced.

We finally got the proofs of our wedding pictures and they are so good! But it's funny I find myself looking at them and saying "wow, that's a great picture of my/your brother/mom/friend etc. It's not that I don't love the pictures of us, because I do, there are some absolutely amazing ones! But I love that there are so many pictures of our friends and family who look like they are having fun. That was my biggest worry, that people would be bored. People said they weren't, but there's no way someone would say to the bride and groom 'your wedding was boring'. The pictures tell the real story.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    EP - Not sure if it has ever been near you, but I know it originated in Germany (I think), so it is European based, but BODY WORLDS exhibits are fascinating! Not for the squeamish, but absolutely fascinating! I was lucky enough that it was on in LA when I went there. One of my favourite parts was (surprisingly) the maternity section

Basically, if you don't know about the exhibit, all the bodies were once real people who have donated their bodies (after they have died) so that their bodies can basically be dissected and made into plastinates (kinda hard to explain but there are images online). One body had been a woman who had unfortunately died during her pregnancy but had donated her body. It was really educational to see how organs sit in the body during a pregnancy. They also had fetuses at different stages, so it was really fascinating and educational to see the exact size and features.

Mav - Yeah, my insulin pump is only like a year old, which makes this super frustrating. First, because I got this one for free as part of a promotion after another company I was with stopped dealing in pumps, new the company wants me to buy a 5 year warrantee on the free system they gave me (and the warrantee costs the same as a new pump [face_waiting]). Like, why would I do that? Worst come to worst and this one completely stops working, I still have my old pump and like 2 months of supplies that will work if I'm in a bind. They keep calling me and asking to talk to my mother (which is super degrading) so Tuesday the lady calls, doesn't even tell me who she is, and asks to speak to my mom. Now, I understand I have a speech impairment, but other people seem to be able to understand me over the phone. When I asked who she was and why she was calling, I kinda lost it on her. Second, because it's a tubeless pump (it's the Omnipod) I basically have a thing the size of a D battery strapped to me. Now, going tubeless does have it's pros and cons, but I'm having issues because when it's on my stomach I can't lay on my stomach to do the stretches I need to (because wheelchair), without the infusion site failing and me waking up in the morning with a blood sugar four times what it's supposed to be (I can put it on my upper arm, but I only have so much real estate there and I have to rotate the site). AND THIRD. The freaking remote/meter (the thing I got for free that costs ~$5000) FEELS LIKE I'M USING SOMETHING OUT OF 1998! The buttons are SO stiff and it is being so finicky lately.

The advantage of having a sister who is also diabetic is that she went with the other company I could have gone with, and I like her pump, and they have a new one that just got approved here in Canada that basically auto-adjusts if you wear a continual glucose monitor (which is expensive, but might be worth it), so I'm going to go with that one.

Sorry. End of diabetic rant.

And yeah, another factor with the dryer was that my roommates are leaving today to visit their families for the holidays, so they needed to dry their clothes to pack them. If it had been a cheap fix, they would have just gone to the laundromat and left me to deal with the repairs, but it wasn't, so we just decided to get a new one (which hurts the environmentally conscious side of me, but I'll get over it).

I'm glad your pictures turned out great and that everyone had a great time. Yeah, I've been to some not-so-great weddings and some really fun ones, and you can definitely tell by the pictures.

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've been there and it is VERY cool! (and kind of creepy). If you make it to Philly someday, you should add Eastern State Penitentiary to your list of places to see. A prison created in the early 1800s, it's now also a museum. Very worthwhile.

mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks for the compliments on my Hera costume :hera: :) I'm hoping to get it approved for the Rebel Legion before Celebration. Right now I'm working on painting the tattoo patterns on my lekku, which is proving challenging because I'm trying to make a stencil for them (I can't freehand circles to save my life) but nothing sticks to silicone.

@Mistress_Renata , @Jedi_Lover , @Findswoman -- we need to start a planning conversation for a meet-up!

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    @Briannakin, @mavjade - The exhibition was held here, too, at some point in 2007-2009, I can recall. But I was scared back then. I would definitely go now. For all the stuff you just described. I...guess that it took 2017 to get over my panic fear of bones.

I processed a cool photo of a skull that I put a vignette on and made it black and white, but I assume that it would only be acceptable as a cover art for something. In fact, I have a 2016-2017 fic that could use such a cover. The fetuses etc...might use them in some mixed media art and collages, because of their symbolism.

Other than that, I'm happy! I literally lost my ability to even. [face_love][face_love][face_love] Steady, EP's heart, don't beat so fast. [face_tee_hee] Is it okay to acknowledge that a man is charming and kind?

I can't wait for December 21st, only thirteen days! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    mavjade likes this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Baking, baking, baking for the office holiday cookie swap. What a pain. And I made the mistake of trying a new recipe, not a tried&true. One was a failure (a tasty failure), and the other didn't make as many cookies as it claimed it would so I am going to be short. Eh. I'll bring them in, they will be eaten. I'd rather bake cakes; tipping spoonful after spoonful of dough on to sheets is so fiddly.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I want that. All of it.

And the routine part, for some reason, never bothers me, even though I have issues with passive resistance and I unconsciously disrupt any kind of a routine. I mean, FOOD. EATING.

Mom has been acting strange today, a family friend made her super-paranoid about the debt and I'm still pondering if I should go see my crazy fellow-ENFP neighbour and dog walking buddy, a comedy-rocker, or not...I never know if I am legit worried or not.

But I should go. Like, really. The dude is super-fun!

Not paging anybody, because sometimes not even us locals know what he's on about and why. The only somewhat relatable example...
    https://lyricstranslate.com/en/lepa-si-pamela-youre-beautiful-pamela.html

...is also deliberate, absolute nonsense. And oh yeah, she knows about it. She laughed and asked for a pic together. :D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Mistress_Renata likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Just spent 45 minutes fighting with my computer. Apparently before I hibernated it last night, something launched a couple hundred Python interpreters that filled up my memory and pushed 5 GiB of memory into swap (which explains why it took so long to hibernate last night). Well, Ubuntu doesn't work well with 5 GiB in swap. It took 15 minutes for the computer to start up and come out of hibernation, then I found the fork bomb-like explosion of processes in the System Monitor and managed to kill them all.

Then I still had to deal with the massive amount of stuff in swap, for which I had to drop into the console (which took five minutes by itself) and then turn off the swap completely to force it all back into RAM, and then turn swap back on. Also had to restart both Firefox and Visual Studio Code (the latter of which I suspect of being the cause of this issue, so I'll keep a closer eye on it). At least I'm finally back in order without losing the stuff I had open and unsaved, and without having to forcibly reboot.

This is just the latest in a series of issues, so I'm planning to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Ubuntu during winter break, along with Windows alongside it in a dual-boot setup.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    @jcgoble3, I understood "Restart Firefox" and "Forcibly reboot"...but nothing else. lol! I hope you get that worked out.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    My head wandered off after Python interpreters, and all I could hear was Indiana Jones... "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?" LOL

Computers are frustrating, @jcgoble3, even if you actually understand them! (not like me)

RK_Striker_JK_5 and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I was wondering how many people here would understand what I said. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Every time I turn my computer on, i'm half expecting either Skynet to start up, or it to ask me to play a game. :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    With my computre I actually got the feeling it lost some of its power over the years. These days when I try playing some games that a year or so agao run smoothly, they´ve started to stutter and lag. Just hope this doesn´t continue.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Sounds about right. Over time, operating systems accumulate errors that gradually slow it down. Windows in particular is notorious for this. This is one reason why I intend to reinstall Ubuntu soon. It's usually a good idea to reinstall your OS every one to two years to mitigate this, though most people never do so (in large part due to the fact that reinstalling the OS wipes the hard drive, so you lose all of your files if you don't have them backed up).

Anedon and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I am glad I went to this gig - among other things, I ate three pieces of a cake made to, err, supposedly resemble Pamela Anderson's chest. I wish this was one of my WTF jokes, but it's not. 8-} I guess I can cross body part-shaped food on the bucket list I never knew I had?! [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

I did. But you knew that before you even posted it, right? :p

And you

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I see
    Do you know if this affects Video Ram as well? The describtion of my graphics card says its 2 GB but when I use a scan or in some games that show it its shown to be around 1,5.

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I figured that if nobody else here understood it, you would. :p I managed to identify the source of the bug (the official Python extension for Visual Studio Code) and filed a bug against it on GitHub.

Different issue. Companies can't agree on whether to use powers of 2 or of 10 for digital storage. A kilobyte can be either 1,000 bytes (10^3) or 1,024 bytes (2^10). The former is the metric definition of the "kilo" prefix, which makes sense since humans work most easily with powers of 10, but computers work most easily with powers of 2. The difference between the two multiplies as you get into larger and larger prefixes(mega, giga, tera, etc.). Usually package descriptions are written using powers of 10, but operating systems typically show it with powers of 2, making it appear smaller than the package says. 2 GB (assuming powers of 10) equals approximately 1.86 GB (powers of 2).

There has been an attempt to clarify the confusion by introducing new prefixes and abbreviations for the power-of-2 measurements, denoted by replacing the last syllable of the power-of-10 prefix with "bi" (for "binary") and adding a lowercase "i" to the abbreviation. So in your example, the difference would be written as 2 GB = 1.86 GiB (gibibytes). Ubuntu has adopted this convention (as did I in my technobabble post above), but Windows continues to write storage quantities using standard metric prefixes and powers of 2.

Anedon and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, that's intresting @jcgoble3
    Though in my case he claims its only 1475 MB overall which seems to be even lower than the 1,86 you mentioned.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's weird. Sounds like a false claim on the package to me.

Anedon likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Now I have Bloodhound Gang's "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo" playing in my head. [face_laugh] I think I'm turning into Beavis and Butthead. Not that I don't have the simplest possible form of an underbite.

And I thought it was always 1024, oh my goat. But I noticed, long ago, that Total Commander (I'm a Windows 3.11 kiddo, I love something that resembles the good ol' File Manager) shows a number that doesn't match what I see when I right-click and pick "Properties..." and such.

Also, since you're here, perhaps you can help me with one little thing that's more hardware-ish, as I can't afford another hard drive so I could format C:\ right now*. How to stop this particular website from mercilessly eating my RAM? Only Wook is worse. I use Chrome on Windows 7 and I disabled automated refresh long ago, I also know how to get rid of a particularly memory-hogging tab...but it's not enough. >________<

* Disclaimer: I wanted to format nine months ago, I had it all ready, I only had the system and programs on C:\, but then concert photography happened and I needed every single Gb on every single hard drive.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Don't visit that website? That's the only thing I can think of, other than perhaps disabling JavaScript on that site with a browser extension.

That was a contributing factor to my exit from Wookieepedia about three years ago: their insistence on having exactly one and only one page per character, no matter how big that page grew. I worked on bringing Wedge Antilles to featured status years ago, and as of 2012, it sat at 80,000 words in length, basically a full-length novel on one page. That article was virtually impossible to edit, would take forever to load, and yet they refused to split it into multiple pages. A lot of the major character articles were like that (and maybe still are). </rant>

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Wow. that's ridiculous. If the Transformers wiki tried that the pages would be insanely long and rival some book series on length.

24. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    *scratching head * I understand the logics in computers work most easily in binaries. That makes sense, but how is it even possible to think of 2^10 as "kilo-anything" ? Expressing mega/giga/terra "somethings" by binary numbers sounds even more weird. [face_thinking]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree, but companies (and Windows) continue to do so.

CaraJinn likes this.