main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    While TE and I didn't visit the World of Pandora right after it opened but we visited shortly after it did and the lines for the rides were really long and we didn't even get on Flight of Passage because the line was so freaking long, like six hours, so maybe next year, if we go, we will be able to ride it and hopefully Galaxy's Edge won't be as crowded either.

And while I'm talking about vacations to Florida: does anyone know if there are good places to rent fishing gear in Orlando? If you don't I can just google it but I thought I should ask first to see if I was wasting time or the places that do rent don't have good reputations. James probably would rather fish the Florida vacation away then spend it in a theme park or at the very least have the option to be able to fish if he doesn't want to go to a theme park.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    There's a calendar online that shows you the 'typical' attendance for Disneyland (and there's probably one for World too). When we went to LA, it just so happened to be one of their 'quietist' times (mid-week, end of September). It was great! Though, yeah, if that was 'extremely low attendance', I would not want to be there any time in the summer.

I'm currently procrastinating finishing up my assignment. I'm in my classic position of needing like 800 words more, but I've already said everything I've intended to. I'm not sure if I'm just not explaining things well, or if I'm just succinct. I think, part of my problem is I started out in Political Science and I had a great and really practical prof. She said, if we were going to work in government, a lot of our work would be condensing things into 2 page memos, so all our assignments for her had to be under 2 pages. It really helped me with conciseness with academic writing, and all my marks since seem to reflect that. But it also means adding a whole other section to my essays when I really hadn't planned for it. Normally I'd go up to the university to force myself finish this, but it's currently -24C and I have like 3 weeks left to do this anyways.

Also, while I'm procrastinating: final review of my weighed blanket now that I've has it for over a week. I like it. I mean, I wasn't expecting dramatic results, but I had no idea if it would help me sleep. It is. I'm not waking up randomly at 4:30 am anymore and I'm not waking up feeling like a complete zombie who needs another 8 hours of sleep to function. I move a lot in my sleep (people don't like sharing a bed with me because of the spasms) and I think having the weight helps settle my body down and allows for a more restful sleep.

It does take a bit of experimenting to get into a comfortable position (for me, I have to make sure I'm in the middle under the blanker so the weight is even). I can understand why people who use them more for anxiety use them on the couch because I did try it on the couch and it was really calming and really easy to reposition more in a sitting position. And yeah, it's hot (though I had this problem in my suite pre-dating the blanket and we have since figured out the cause and remedied it). But after I put on my cotton summer sheets and wore lighter pyjamas, it's fine. I do recommend one if you think you'd benefit from one, or if you like the feeling of lots of weight on you when you sleep. They are on the more pricy side, but most companies I looked at did have a decent return policy (plus Amazon's return policy is stupidly lax if you buy from there). The blanket I got specially was the Nirvana Blanket because it's a Canadian company (because the exchange rate to USD is still stupid right now) and you can remove the individual 'bands' of weight, AAAAANNND because bamboo cotton is way more cool than other materials normally used.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This was me this morning. I normally set my alarm for 7:00 on Wednesdays so I can go to my workout and then get to school around 10:30. But today I needed to be at school by 10:00 (in a suit and tie, but that's a different story), so I set my alarm for 6:30 instead. I woke right up when it went off, but couldn't muster the energy to get out of bed for anything other than the bathroom until 8:15, which nixed the workout. I may force myself to do the workout this evening instead.

Actually, that's me every morning. I always have to mentally force myself to get out of bed, and even then it doesn't work until it's late enough that if I don't get up now, I'm going to be late for something.

I've been thinking about investing in a weighted blanket, and this review may make me pull the trigger when I get my tax refund (if not before).

(Oh, and that suit and tie? I am one of three nominees at my community college to the Phi Theta Kappa All-Ohio Academic Team, which involves a luncheon in the state capital in April. I had to have my picture taken for the luncheon program book. Since the photo was just head and shoulders and I hate dressing up, I didn't bother tucking my dress shirt in and just wore shorts and sandals with the suit coat and tie. The minute they were done taking my picture, I ripped off the suit coat and tie and headed for the bathroom to change into the T-shirt I had stuffed into my backpack, then took the whole damn set of dress clothes straight out to my car. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to get me to wear that Sithspit all day.)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yess!! Managed to get my daily word goal in for this assignment. 300 down, 500 left. My goal is to be done by Friday. I'm kinda researching as I go, which is why it is going so slow.

Yup. This is my life. Back in high school I had to get up at 6am to be at school for band practice for 7:30. How I managed it, I really do not know (yes, actually, I do know, I slept through English class... and sometimes Math). I've said it before, but I really suck at getting up when I have no reason to get up (but if I have a reason, I can get up). Which is why this whole distance learning/working from home has really messed me up (but I only have 8 more months of this left!). I try to get up by 8:30. Most days I fail, but I haven't completely messed up my sleep schedule, which is a victory I will take. And the blanket is helping me get up on the earlier side.

Congrats.

As for dress clothes. Learning from home has really spoiled me (currently in baggy sweatpants, a hoodie and no bra... life is great!). But I also can't wait to actually have a job that I actually need to be semi-formal for. I love a good office dress or a shirt and blazer.

AzureAngel2, jcgoble3 and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    They took me at the job I was applying for last week, on trial for now at least. Though I have to wait for my new idenity card until I can start with the work, should get it in 2 to 3 weeks.

Kahara, Lady_Misty, divapilot and 3 others like this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Glad to hear about the blanket, I may have to get one. I sometimes get this weird anxiety at night (for a lack of a better word) and the only thing I've found that helps is getting up and running cold water over my wrists for a few minutes (I used to say I thought it was restless leg because I felt like I had to move my legs and I'd get up and run in place for a few minutes, but it's more than that, I just don't know what to call it/how to describe it) so I wonder if it would help with that. Also, yeah, I just like the weight, which is kinda weird because I can't stand for my legs to feel pinned down. [face_dunno]

Count me in the people who can't get up in the morning, or any time for that matter. I can't snooze, If I do, I'll never stop. So I have to set my alarm for the last possible minute I need to get up in order to be ready. This, of course, doesn't work if I don't have somewhere I have to be. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to when I finally get to dayshift, the 0515 alarm.

Congrats, jcgoble!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Lady_Misty, AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    That's great news! Hope you're happier in this one & that it all works out for you.

I used to be like that. Then I got a cat. Cats don't have snooze alarms.

AzureAngel2, Anedon and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks, I really hope so as well. :)
    What I´ve ecxperienced so far was pretty nice.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    AzureAngel2 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Raissa Baiard, AzureAngel2 and Anedon like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, it's kinda weird, I hate having my legs pinned down, especially in bed. Like my cats have learned not to sleep by my feet in bed, or they will go flying. But the weight of the blanket is nice. Maybe because it's evenly distributed [face_dunno]

I did something kinda stupid last night. I stayed up until 1:30am watching M.A.S.H. and writing fanfic. I swear I thought it was only like 10pm. And of course today is the only day I have to be somewhere during the week (I meet people at the university to do a bible study - it gets me out of the house and sometimes I'll go early or stay later to work on schoolwork). When I woke up, I had a bit of a headache, which I still have, so nothing has gotten done today and I don't think anything will get worked on.

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I can't watch MASH on the television anymore. I've got the show on DVD, and it has a soundtrack option to remove the laugh track. The rest of the audio is fine, but no damned laughter.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I just watch it online. I finally found a decent website where I can stream it. The audio is kinda weird at times (but that's understandable). I remember watching it as a kid with my grandparents and enjoying it, but I've been wanting to watch it now that I'm older and I'm really liking it (it's decent background noise too). Though that option to remove the laugh track would be nice. Looking at the DVD set on amazon, it's actually not a crazy price (seriously, why is the complete series for The West Wing $280, yet MASH is only $80?). Though I don't think I have the room for 34 dvds.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Man I love MASH, but I haven't watched it in years. When I was young the only two songs I could play on the piano were Heart and Soul and the theme song to MASH, and I knew the lyrics to all the verses. [face_dunno] I was a strange child.

Generally, I'm not a on in the background kind of person (unless I'm cleaning, then it's music), but if I don't my dog hears every sound that's made in the hallway and gets upset. So now I am a TV on in the background kind of person. :p Right now my go to 'on in the background' show is Chopped- the mystery ingredients cooking challenge show. The only problem with that is it makes me hungry.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    @mavjade is Heart and Soul the Huey Lewis and the News song? I love that song. :D

AzureAngel2 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  15. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I wonder... How do I get across the idea that "when I ask for constructive criticism, I want no niceties, no pretty words, just EXACTLY what you think, no matter how ugly it sounds"?
    Because I hate it when people say things in an all polite way about my fic, when they actually think it's ****.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This is more a question for one of the other threads, like the Writer's Desk or Scribble pad. I suggest looking for a Beta, perhaps here. Betas are a bit hard to come by these days but you are going to need someone to give you that kind of review in private via PM. We don't allow any sort of concrit in public - even if the author wants it - because we don't want Newbies who haven't read the FAQ to think those kinds of reviews are okay for everyone.

17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think I just made a grave mistake. After going shopping I got a card for a lottery hosted by the company of the supermarket. This card had a code on it I could enter together with my permium card id for that market, which I just did. But then, when it was too late I realized that I´m using the card together with my mother who is working at this company. And workers are not allowed to enter the competition.
    I fear I just got my mother and myself in big trouble.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It'll be fine likely. She just can't claim any prize. I'm not sure if you will be able to claim it but you won't get into trouble for just entering.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Lady_Misty and Anedon like this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it's unlikely to be any problem. They probably won't notice unless your name is drawn as a winner (which is highly unlikely by itself), in which case you'd just be disqualified when you try to claim it. It would be too much trouble to audit every single entry before drawing; usually only the winners are checked for that kind of thing.

As for disciplinary action, again the matter isn't likely to come up unless your name is drawn, and if they do say something to her, a reasonable employer will accept an explanation of "my son did it and made an honest mistake" as a valid defense.

Anedon and Briannakin like this.
  20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @Briannakin, @jcgoble3 I really hope your right.
    My best friend just suggested contacting the support directly and informing them of the mistake, with the request of pulling the number out of the competition but I fear that might cause a lot of attention on the whole thing.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Either way I really doubt you or your mother will get into trouble. Lottos just want to cover their own butts, that is why, depending on the region, will say employees or family members can't play to protect them from the appearance of rigging the winner. And a lot of the time, unless it's a big win, they won't enforce it because it isn't worth their time. In Canada, there's this big contest for lack of a better word, at Tim Hortons where people can win anything from free coffee to cars . Technically employees can't play but they do anyway because no one cares.

You really should relax about this.

Anedon and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @Briannakin
    I´ve now looked a bit deeper in the terms of participation and it says by not follwing these terms one looses the right to further participate, take a prize or be forced to give it back.
    Though it also mentiones when the terms are broken the breaker is forced to repay whatever damaged his or her actions have caused to the company.

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    While that is a good song, no... that would have been too complicated for me. The super easy piano duet song by Hoagy Carmichael (I had to look up who wrote it, that wasn't one I knew off the top of my head) that I feel like almost everyone knows.

Anedon- Usually those rules are so it doesn't give the appearance of a fixed giveaway, not because there's anything actually wrong with employees entering/winning. Like the others said, I think it will be okay.

Anedon and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Also, the clause about repay damages is intended as a guard against someone trying to rig the contest, hack the servers, or otherwise cheat.

I caved today and invested in a weighted blanket. I bought a 15-pound one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. When I got home, I unboxed it, put it on the bed, and got under it, and it felt super-comfortable. I can't wait to try it out tonight. I might even go to bed early. :eek:

mavjade , Briannakin , Anedon and 2 others like this.
  25. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks @mavjade, @jcgoble3
    I talked to my mother today and she said it will be okay. She actually almost did the same but in contrast to me realized it just in time.
    My father also agreed that it is okay.

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.