main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hopefully it works for you!

So, I'm stupid. I am stupid in multiple ways. First, yesterday, I went out with my mother to do a huge grocery shop (something I needed to do desperately) and I pushed myself too far (literally) and I was in so much pain last night and now again today. I had a really hot bath last night and it was only marginally helpful. I've been eyeing what it basically an electric wheel to turn a manual wheelchair into a power wheelchair - the thing is really cool as it weighs like 14 pounds instead of a 300 pound powerchair (because I refuse to go back to using one) but they are so stupidly expensive.

Second reason why I am stupid is, I got my new insulin pump a few weeks ago, but I had it sent to my mom's since the package had to be signed for and I knew someone was more likely to be home. Anyways, I'm still not trained on it because it took a stupid amount of time to get an appointment, but I go Tuesday for training. But because it's been so cold, my mom hasn't been over here and I haven't been over there, so I only opened the box yesterday. And when I did I realized one of the components was missing. UGHHH. I'm going to phone early tomorrow and see if they can overnight it. Thankfully it's just the Continual Glucose Monitor transmitter SO I'm pretty sure if I can't get it in time, I can still be trained on the pump on Tuesday (which is good because I'm like nearly out of supplies). I just will have to go back again for more training.

I need a vacation. I need to go somewhere and not have to think for a few days.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Lady_Misty, GregMcP and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This.

It leaked out yesterday that the Pokémon TCG North American International Championships, which I went to last year, are back in the same city, just a one-hour drive away from me. I so want to go again, but it wouldn't be a vacation since the competition, while usually fun, is the opposite of relaxing. The first day is always a very long day, with an early morning start and late evening finish, and nine 50-minute best-of-three matches in one day is mentally exhausting. I may just buy a spectator badge this year and play side events, which are more casual and relaxing, or volunteer instead.

Also, I doubt I can afford both that and a proper vacation, given that I just dropped $130 on my weighted blanket today, and still have to buy a whole new winter wardrobe before seeing how much of my tax refund is left for travel. I do have about $160 in unused credit card rewards, so I may apply that to the vacation.

Last thought: so many apps are not working properly on my phone that I'm about to say screw it, back everything up, and factory reset the damn thing.

[to the phone] **** you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Lady_Misty and mavjade like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Bri- I've seen one of the wheels that turn a manual into a power chair (power assist?) and they seem pretty cool! Is it something you could take on and off easily and then you could use it when you wanted and not other times?
    Also, I've done something very similar with not opening something until it's close to when you are going to need it. I hope they can get the part to you soon.

I can completely understand this! I always say I don't count Celebration as a vacation because even though I'm not at work and am usually in another location from my home, it's a lot of big crowds, no-sleep, eating crappy food and standing in lines forever and being stressed about getting into panels. It's fun for sure! But not relaxing in the slightest. So yeah, I agree that the tournament wouldn't count as a vacation.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Mav - Yeah, there's a couple power assists out there but the one I've been looking at is the Smartdrive, since its the lightest one and the one you can take on/off the easiest. I actually thought about buying one last year... and then we figured furnace was not going to make it another year. I'm probably going to buy one once I graduate and figure out where I'm living and working.

And I totally agree that conventions, competitions (and summer schools), even if they get you away from your daily life, do not count as vacations. Thats kinda why I'm so looking forward to the end of the month. I'm only going to be gone 4 days - and with travel that only means 2 days there - but we are staying at a hotel, not cooking or cleaning up after ourselves.

Also, my phone is starting to act weird but I refuse to upgrade. It has to completely die before I even think about replacing it.

Mistress_Renata and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My apologies for the double post (it's been almost 24 hours anyway) and my apologies for the minor fanfic specific connection, but I thought some of you might be entertained by my freaking out by THIS REALLY FREAKY COINCIDENCE. ORRR at least me freaking out at @mavjade , so here it goes:

MAAAAAAAAVVVVVVV!!!!!!! LIN MANUEL MIRANDA IS PLAYING JIMMY SMITS SON!!!!!! Link for reference (and I guess minor Brooklyn 99 spoilers). MAAAAAAAVVVVV! LIN MANUEL MIRANDA IS PLAYING MATT SANTO'S SON!!!!!! MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVV!! ELVIE IS GOING TO BE REAL! MAAAAAAVVV!

Translation for everyone else: Jimmy Smits has a reoccurring role on Brooklyn 99 as Amy Santiago's father. Lin Manuel Miranda will be appearing as her brother. Jimmy Smits (yes, Bail Organa) also has a role on The West Wing as Matthew Santos (funnily enough, another WW alumni plays Amy Santiago's father-in-law). Anyways. Here's the minor (and freaky) fanfic connection: one of my OCs is Matt Santos' son, and Mav and I were joking around like over a year ago 'casting' our OCs (even though I am so bad at it) and I cast that OC as Lin Manuel Miranda (because they kinda look like they could be related, and I'm not just saying that because they both are Puerto Rican).

So I have a new career as a casting director (not really).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I saw that LMM was going to be on B99 and was excited, but I didn't read the article. Then after dp read an article he said "That means he's going to be Jimmy Smits son," and I started laughing really hard and after I caught my breath I said "oh man, I've got to tell Bri." But clearly I don't have to!! :D

[face_love]

We got some snow today! Yay! The puppers loves the snow and he's so funny playing in it! He was running with and chasing a Husky who was having the best time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I saw it on some random post on Facebook and just started laughing so at the pure ridiculousness of the coincidence. I doubt will ever see LMM and JS in an appearance together, but LMM is a pretty big West Wing fan.

Yay for snow! I have a friend whose service dog is a husky. He LOOOOOVVVVES snow!

Unfortunately I did not get the component I needed in time, but I was still able to do the majority of the training and am now on a new insulin pump (yaaay for not having to use technology that feels like it's from 1998). Unfortunately I do have to go back next week... and the week after now, for more training. Ugh.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I don't think I have ever sat down and 'cast' actors and actresses for 'parts' in any of my fan fics and maybe it's because on some level their exact look is fluid to some extent. I know their hair and eye color, how long their hair is/hairstyle, if they're short or tall and maybe even skin color or ethnic but after that I couldn't tell anything else about them physically.

And maybe it's because more often than not I envision the characters personality first and build from there.

Heck, I got a Twi'lek OC that I don't have a skin shade for and all I have is her personality which is she isn't afraid to weaponize her good looks to get close to her target and nail them; she's sexy and she knows it.

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It all depends on the character. I've got Judi Dench and Sam Waterston running around as Jedi masters. But when @Chyntuck was trying to make the faaaabulous cover for my story about the Calrissian family, I was having a terrible time trying to suggest actresses to play the roles. I only had one mentally cast.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't often do "fan casting" because I'm so bad at it, I'm bad at recalling celebrity names and faces, and because I used to not do much with OCs. But sometimes a celebrity just captures the essence of an OC so well.

I finished writing my last assignment today! I still have to proofread and edit it (and I have to go up to the university tomorrow anyways so I might go a few minutes early or stay late and do it). But all my coursework is basically finished!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't often do it because I'm terrible at it and most of the time my OCs don't have that clearly defined physical characteristics. Every now and then I see someone really specifically and I try and find someone who reminds me of them. I will say, I do appreciate it when people do it and post pictures of who they imagine, it's kinda fun to see and then I know exactly who they are picturing.

[face_laugh]

Mistress_Renata and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My life is just a mess today. I'm about to go try to fix our dryer vent with an iPhone cord because the hose thing somehow got knocked off and we don't have any new zip ties to fix it with.

13. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I cast my stories all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavjade and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I bought a new car last week. Today I get in the car and it won't start. The engine light was on. It is a keyless vehicle, so I push the button and nothing happens. I can't get the running lights to turn off and the engine is making an electrical whining noise. Everything else works. The radio, the lights, just not the engine. I think the starter wasn't getting the signal. After about 30 minutes I try it again and it starts. Now I guess I need to make an appointment to get it checked tomorrow. This sucks. What really makes me nervous is this vehicle has the Start/Stop system. It shuts off the engine instead of it idling at a stop and then rapidly restarts the engine when you want to drive away. I can turn it off, but the default is it is on. I would hate to get to a light and then the engine doesn't start again. ARGGGHHH!!

Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    J_L - Yay for the new car!! Boo for a problem already. :( Hopefully it's just the starter or something and an easy fix.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    This morning the remote start didn't work. I walked out in the snow to see if I could start it again. The dashboard warning said, "Remote start disabled. Start car to reset." So I pushed the start button and it started. I turned it off and pushed the remote start and it started. It is possible that the remote start was disabled by me. Last night I remote started it and then remote turned it off. I was checking to see if it still worked. So maybe I was the cause of the non-functioning remote start this morning.

I love the seat and steering wheel warmers, but I don't like the idea that the car might decide not to turn on when I have to get to work. If I ever buy a new car again there are three things I will want:

1. An actual key and not a fob and a start button.
    2. A spar tire. These new cars just have flat fixing kits which don't work on all types of blowouts.
    3. No start/stop system. I do not like the Start/stop system that prevents the car from idling. When you are stopped the car the engine turns off. It feels like your car stalled. When you lift up the brake the car starts.

I buy cars new because I have anxiety problems. I don't like the idea of my car breaking down and stranding me in freaking -51 degree windchill (yes that was an actual temperature that froze my car battery solid). A person can die very quickly in that weather. I need a dependable vehicle.

I just realized...I could never own the Millennium Falcon. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Jedi_Lover when we were in Utah for Kathy's wedding my Mom's rental car was like yours and she had to have the key in a certain place/vicinity of the steering wheel to start.

Part of me doesn't think that i could own the Millennium Falcon either because of the rate it seems to have issues but it it's anything like a older VW Beetle than all you would need is the Star Wars equivalent to duct tape, some twist ties and a little spit and it works for another five years without needing replacement parts. My Mom used to have a VW Rabbit and Bug and she said all you needed was duct tape and either paper clips or twist ties and you were done and my In-Laws agree.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am old fashioned. I think some things should be manual/analog. This Jeep even has an electronic emergency brake. I want to pull on an emergency brake manually. With the electronic one what happens if a computer glitch makes it fail or won't let you turn it off? I should have looked around, but I have had two Jeeps and loved them. I didn't think I would have any problems. This Jeep...the jury is still out on it. It is too electronic. What is wrong with having a key? I have no problem with turning a key. Right now, if the battery of the fob dies you can't start the car. There is a hidden key in the Fob that allows you to open the door, but that is so you can put the car in neutral so you can push it somewhere or open the hood. It won't start the car. Meh. I have an extended warranty and free towing and probably rentals with this new vehicle, so hopefully if it happens again they can fix it.

You can't use duct tape of a malfunctioning computer. Yesterday, after it didn't start, I opened the hood. Took apart what I thought was the fuse box, but it was just a cover to the battery terminals. I put back the cover and slapped it hard so it would click in. Then the car made a beeping noise...I tried to start it and it did. So it responds to violence. lol! Or maybe it is like Han smacking the panel of the Falcon to get it to work.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When in doubt hit it.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Many cars with a keyless start system have a backup RFID chip in the fob and a reader in the start button, so in the case of a dead fob battery you can place the fob directly on the start button and use it to push the button to start the car. Check your owner's manual to see if that is supported.

The technical term for this is "percussive maintenance". ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I will check into that. That would be a good thing to know. Thanks!

jcgoble3 and Lady_Misty like this.
  22. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Last year, I mentioned on Facebook that when I'm having panic attacks, I often calm myself down by piling every blanket I own plus a few of the communal ones in the living room on top of me. My friend with an autistic son mentioned that she had looked into using a weighted blanket. Later that month, I got back from the gym to find a box on my porch with a handwritten note in unfamiliar handwriting. It was a 10-pound weighted blanket and they said they had seen my post about using weight to cope with my panic attacks. I looked it up and it was a $200 blanket, donated anonymously. It still helps me and I've never found out my benefactor.

So, I just realized I haven't posted in here since signing the apartment contract. I'm writing this at my new kitchen table. I got sick for a month in the middle of moving, so have felt barely functional until Wednesday of last week when walking to work didn't make me cough until I retched and I could stay up past 7 p.m. without feeling miserable. Since I've been working 6 days a week, It took a while for the moving to be done and then unpacking happened in a few really intense sessions late at night. But my piano gets used a lot more. We have some fun new furniture. The neighborhood is much better.

Meanwhile, I'm 6 months away from being done with 2 years as a volunteer hosting missionary. In August, I'll probably cry a lot at finishing, but I'll have a normal work schedule again. I'll wake up after dawn breaks and have days off instead of hours. Most anticipated is having time to cook more. They asked me about signing up for two more years and I honestly would do it in a heartbeat if I knew I could physically cope with it. So I'm just looking forward to one final tourist season and Conference season. Both are great, but really exhausting things.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow, if you GOOGLE RFID chip you get some weird answers...like RFID chips are the mark of the beast when implanted in humans. But it does appear a dead fob can start a Jeep if pressed against the start button. My Jeep didn't start yesterday for about five minutes. I drove it to the dealer. They said there has been some problems with the auxiliary battery whose sole purpose is to start the car...I guess. I have an appointment to get the battery looked at. It may need replacing. I hope I didn't buy a lemon.

@DarthIshtar it is cool that somebody bought you that blanket. That was very generous of them.

Kahara, Lady_Misty and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    My friend just found out that Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa are supposedly cast in the new Dune film. Guess I know what to get her for Christmas, when the BluRay comes out...

Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  25. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    I love the new Dune novels written by Herbert's son and Kevin Anderson. I heard Dave Bautista has also been cast in the Dune film.

Lady_Misty likes this.