main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
  2. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Wow, I've got a new kid. Well two actually [face_tee_hee] . Since I have no kids on my own I'm sponsoring two children through SOS Children Villages. Last fall I learned that one of "my children" could go back to her biological family and now I got the information that the other has been able to return to his biological family too. All in all it's nice feedback to get, of course, but for me it would be nice if I for once could "follow" my sponsored child up to adult age.

Oh, well, I got a couple of new kids now.

AzureAngel2, Kahara, Sith-I-5 and 3 others like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's a great thing to do @CaraJinn!!

On (at least American) Netflix there's a documentary called Dogs. I just watched the first episode and cried through the whole thing. This episode was about kids (and one specific girl) getting their service dogs. I just kept thinking we don't deserve dogs. And of course I kept hugging Admiral who was trying to sleep so he was 'grumping' at me. [face_laugh] (It's this thing he does, it's not a growl or anything close, it's more of a "Moooom, I'm trying to sleep here and you are bothering me." grump. )

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I totally cast my fanfics. But when doing original, I know what the characters look and sound like from the start and they’re often based on an actor or actress. Ayla Kell and Sarah Bolger are two that I’ve used for protagonists, for example.

5. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The people helping my In-Laws with their house think that there might be an option to help get the house redone and are investigating it. So keep your fingers crossed.

The house TE and I have been hoping to rent is in limbo as there are buyers interested in buying it. But if those fall through and the seller agrees to do a rent to own thing Dany said she'd be interested in giving up her Section Eight Vouchers (something from the government that helps her pay rent in places that meet certain requirements) and live with us since it will get her out of the area that she's in, an area she hates, and help with expenses.

I hate living in an area where we get lots of vacationers; not enough good places to rent in our price range because everyone would rather rent to tourists and charge a bundle of money for them to stay for three or more days during the summer than during the off season find someone to rent the place.

We decided on a spelling on one of the names we, I, like as well as the middle name that will go with it if we choose that name.

Kahara likes this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Where I live we have a similar problem, except it is not tourists as much as seasonal owners. There are rich people who buy up houses in town, especially near the lake, and are only in town for a few weeks a year. This hogs up all the homes and people have to live outside the county. Many young people complain that they have to drive 30 minutes to get to work. I drive 45-60 minutes to get to work, but I used to live in northern Virginia where I would have to give myself at least four hours to drive the 45 miles to Washington DC during rush hour. So 45 minutes doesn't seem bad at all.

Good luck with house hunting!

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm done. I'm done and through with winter. Plain fed up with it. I've been in a bad mood for several days now and the only treatment is spring.

8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I hear ya. I'm pretty tired of the snow too.

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thirded. I want Spring!

jcgoble3 and Mistress_Renata like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Saw Alita: Battle Angel yesterday, it was a nice cyberpunk-ish action story with some creative use of cybernetics for everyday use.

Something very me I guess is that I'm a bit... disappointed I guess, over that most of the clothing and hair/mascara we see is very similar to street fashion we see nowadays and the lack of signs in other languages/writing systems than English and Spanish. But that don't stop me from wanting the "art of the movie" book

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    My intention was to spend all afternoon working on research papers. Instead, this is me:

[​IMG]

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Spring...what is this Spring you speak of? I'm kidding. We had a snowstorm on Tuesday but it's been actually fairly reasonable here - just hovering around the freezing mark.

I've had a fairly crazy week. Long story short, we thought my grandmother was going to die (we are talking she was found with no pulse, was put into a coma and on a ventilator). So much so that a number of my cousins and other family flew into town. She's not. We aren't sure what happened but she seems to be mostly fine now.

So in the midst of the craziness, I submitted my last assignment just encase something did happen (my paper was like 99% done anyways, I had just planned on one last comb through). So I'm now officially done my course work. Yaayy! In 7 months and one 15,000 word dissertation and I'll hopefully be finished my Master's. Then what? I don't know. I'm just looking forward to a much needed mini-vacation next week (that is, if the roads stay clear).

13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I just had a pretty shocking experience while at work. While I was distributing my papers around 9PM, I noticed an old man a few meters ahead of the road stumbling and then falling. When he didn't move, I immidietly left my chart behind and approached him. He seemed to be hurt but it was too dark for me to see much,when I tried to talk to him he barely responded and I noticed he was drunk. When I offered to call an ambulance he insited he denied the offer and instited he was fine while trying to get up. I really didn't know what to do so I was glad when an elderly couple arrived and approached us. They brought some light and I was shocked to see that the old man had a large wound on his head and another on his hand and that there was blood all over the place were he had fallen. The couple and I agreed that we had to call an ambulance for him, while a younger man arrived who had some basic medical training. Together we managed to provide the old man's head wound with a bandage and used my belt to for a ligation of his arm as we feared he was loosing too much blood through the wound at his hand.
    Thankfully the ambulance arrived quickly to bring the old man into the hospital to stitch up his wounds and check for further injuries.
    I glad that everything went well, that I saw him fall and that the couple and the other man arrived when they did to help me as I don't think I would have been able to deal with the situation on my own.

14. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Spring? *looking out * Yep, maybe soon. Now we're in the rain, rain & more rain winter/spring transition. Maybe real spring will appear one day. Oh, wait. Not good. Allergic.... [face_waiting]

Kahara likes this.
  15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Gamiel did you find that Alita's eyes took you out of the experience or bothered your in some way? I found watching the trailers Alita's eyes were just to uncanny for me but for whatever reason the sport marks under her eyes didn't make them look so big for some reason.

Spring seems to be missing or at the very least still on vacation somewhere. But I personally won't be too worried until the beginning of May.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    May? MAY?! There's no way I can wait until May for spring. I want spring now!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Spring? I want some real winter first - every time we have snow and cold it become slush and not that cold the next day.

No. My friends and I talked about it after the movie that we very quickly accepted her eyes and that was a bit surprising to us

AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This is about the time every year I start wanting it to warm up. I love winter, but by mid to late Feb, I'm ready to move on. Though it's more I'm just tired of putting on all the winter gear more than anything.

Bri-I'm glad your grandmother is okay! And yay!! for being so close to done and vacation!

Anedon- Even as a medical professional it can throw me off to see a medical situation outside of the hospital and I feel out of my depth. So don't worry about feeling like you don't know what to do, that's normal. What you did is just fine and more than a lot of people would do (and not only consciously, the bystander effect is real and can affect anyone.). Basically, ask the person if they are okay, if they can respond to you, you can ask them if they need medical attention. You can always ask someone to stop and help you, a few people are better than one.

So in the continuing saga of my job and dayshift: (Recap: I was promised by our old director I'd go to days in December or January. He got fired. I was told by person kinda doing our day to day things that now I'm the 3rd person to go, not the next. There's been back and forth arguing over who goes next and when, and I'm not the only one who is getting screwed.) I was told most recently they'd have to see with the March schedule. Well March came out and I'm still on nights. So I email again and ask what's going on and she said "I'm looking at May for you guys." :mad:

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow, @Anedon that sounds scary. I don't like the sight of blood. It sounded like you guys may have saved this guy if bleeding was that bad.

@mavjade I hope you get the day shift eventually. I start my new schedule next month. It is swing shift or afternoon shift (11am or 3pm to 11 pm). By getting on this shift full time I have managed to avoid Night shifts. My coworkers said there was no way to avoid getting on night shifts, but I just stayed as an on-call worker with no benefits until a swing or day shift opened up. I already had medical benefits through my husband's military retirement, so I wasn't in a hurry. There are pros and cons to this shift. Pro: I am thinking of joining a gym and working out in the morning before work. Con: Dealing with all the CPAPs.

The bad news is my brand new car is having starting problems. It has that keyless start. I push the button and nothing happens. I keep pushing and after about five minutes I can usually get it started. They already replaced the start button. I bring it in again this week for more fixing. I need this repaired before I drive down to SW Celebration!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Jedi_Lover could it be refusing to start because of the cold? I know diesel vehicles need to be kept in above freezing environments to prevent the diesel gas from freezing. My sister Crystal used to work at a truck stop in New Hampshire and a newbie from the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi), in the Winter came in to use the bathroom and get a few things for the journey and she asked him the second he walked in if he had left his truck running/idling and he said no and that there was no reason to so once he was out of earshot she told another worker to alert one of the guys that helped do maintenance on the big rigs to be ready to restart the Newbie's truck.

If it's not starting though for a different, unknown reason I'd be worried too that it's a lemon.

Thanks @Gamiel I'll keep it in mind if I get a chance to see Alita because I want to be able to enjoy watching what I go see and if there's a chance that the eyes won't be as noticeable or detract too much than I'd take that chance. I opted out of seeing Into the Spiderverse because the animation choices bugged me and I would skip the ad or look elsewhere because it hurt my eyes/brain and I didn't want to spend the little money TE and I have for fun stuff to see a movie I'd spend looking at anything but the screen.

It's funny because I wasn't bothered by the CGI that 'resurrected' Peter Cushing for Rogue One but Jean was bothered by how the mouth wasn't quite right when he spoke. And maybe it's because I don't look at people's mouths when they speak.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    @Lady_Misty it is a gas operated vehicle. 90% of the time it will start just fine no matter what temperature. There was a bulletin that came out to the maintenance people saying there was some malfunctions of the start button. So that was replaced. But I am wondering if they replaced it with another defective button. It will usually remote start with no problem. If I jump in the car and try to start it using the start button and it doesn't start...then the remote start wont work. When I push the button all the electrical works. The running lights turn on, the radio and all other electrical stuff pops on. But the engine doesn't start. Then I can't turn off the electrical. I have always been able to get it started eventually, but it is stressful. Especially if I am far from home or I need to get to work.

My next car--I WANT A KEY START!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  22. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    So it seems more like the problem is a faulty starter thingy was probably replaced with another faulty starter thingy.

I decided that I never wanted a vehicle with certain electric features after I read that Anton P. was killed when his car’s electric emergency break didn’t activate, rolled into him and crushed him between it and a wall.

Sent from my iPod touch from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It also has an electrical emergency brake. I don't like that. I guess my list of things I don't like in this new vehicle include: electronic start (no key), start/stop system where instead of idling at a stoplight the engine turns off (will start when brake released), electronic emergency brake, no spare tire (just repair kit). What I do like about it: Drives well on snow and ice, remote start, heated steering wheel and seats, hands free calls or you can change the internal temperature and a host of other things by just talking to the car. It doesn't respond to every verbal request, though. When I couldn't start it the other night I told it to KRIFF OFF (okay, I used the earth equivalent) and it just ignored me.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah. Such a damned shame. A young talent, dying through some damned freak accident. :(

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Holy...something. One of my best friends just cashed in more than $240 000 in a lottery. Maybe I should start putting in a coupon to that lottery as well.[face_thinking]