main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hopefully your bank account is nicely topped up for your troubles though.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm rolling my eyes hard tonight. Since I'm still taking one more class in the summer before transferring, I put in a scholarship application through my community college. This afternoon, the college sent me an email telling me that I was awarded a small scholarship for summer. This email came from an address @theschoolsdomain.edu, and was sent to my college email address (same domain).

So why did it end up getting automatically filtered into my junk mail folder and emblazoned with a warning in the subject line proclaiming it to be "***POTENTIAL SPAM OR PHISHING***" (yes, in all caps and with the asterisks)? Only God knows.

In other somewhat related news. my graduation ceremony starts in 12 hours, which means I need to get to bed. Good night.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats on the graduation ceremony!!!

Currently, I don't know what I am more excited for: finishing my dissertation or my housemates moving. I am so mentally exhausted with this dissertation. I have a plan for the next 4 months and vaguely know what I need to do, but I still have zero motivation.

And my housemates continue to be loud and annoying. It suddenly got extremely hot here and it gets stupidly hot upstairs so they have a fan going constantly, but this fan is so big and so old that it rattles my ceiling. I know such issues are common noises when you live below someone but at least I'm moving to a place where AC seems to be standard.

Mistress_Renata and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Happy Mother’s Day to all the space!moms out there! :leia::padme::hera:

And I am now officially Space!Mom. My Epilogue Hera costume was approved by Rebel Legion last week :D
    [​IMG]

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Congrats, Space Mom!

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Fabulous! Well done!

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats Raissa!

Now that ethics and surveys have been approved, I made the final draft and opened them. And now I have to try to get people in the target demographic to do them. Ack! It's probably the easiest step (in terms of what I have to do) in this whole thing but I hate it. The introvert in me is like NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! DO NOT WANT! Today I did the final drafts and began posting them to social media and sending them directly to other people in this program. Tomorrow and the rest of this week I'll probably be emailing museums. Which, again, easy since I can just copy + paste, but I hate sending unsolicited emails.

Also, this is not helping my anxiety at all. According to my plan, about 40% of my final word count will be based off the results of these survey, so it kinda sucks to have your work dependant on other people. But, I guess the good news is I only have to feel this way for like 6 weeks. I'm planning on doing a case study in late June/early July, then no matter what, I just get to lock myself somewhere and write.

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I meant to post this Saturday, but forgot. This is me in the staging room for graduation with all of my bling:

[​IMG]

9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Handsome young man.
    Love the orange, and that's a quite a collection of medals you've collected.
    Well done.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Wait. You are saying you're not actually a muppet?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Congratulations, @jcgoble3! That’s an impressive collection of bling!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Haha, nope. My profile picture was taken by me at either Celebration V or VI in Orlando. I forget which it was, I think it was probably VI. I don't know who those cosplayers are, but they were happy to pose for the camera. Several of the other Muppets were represented there as stormtroopers as well, but that was the one picture of them I snapped.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats! That IS a lot of bling.

So, because my life is just kinda boring right now (I'm still dealing with being burned out, but it's getting better), I've decided to (finally) read Harry Potter. It's kinda weird I never got into it as a kid because I was at that right age when they came out [face_dunno]I read the first few (I think 1 and 2) and they just never sucked me in. So now I'm listening to them on audiobook as I do other things (except for writing) and I'm enjoying them. They're fun, but I also don't have to listen to every single detail because I've seen the movies and know the broad storyline. I'm currently only on book 2, but everyone I know says they get better as they go on. Plus the later audiobooks are like 20+ hours long (I think 5 is like 27 hours!) so it's giving me something "new" to enjoy while the rest of my existence is composed of me slogging through this dissertation.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow, that is impressive. For some reason I just picture Chewie standing next to you and howling. (I think Chewie was saying, "Where's my medal!?")

My youngest graduates at the end of the month. I don't know if he is up for any honors or not. He is often on the Honor Roll...so he might.

Mistress_Renata, GregMcP and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm now picturing myself in the final scene of ANH and will never unsee that. Thanks. :p

GregMcP likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This looks interesting

Have anybody seen it? Is it worth a watch?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I might have done something stupid today (probably not though). Recently I've been browsing through jobs both locally and the place were I intend to move; it's mostly just cementing my decision to move because there are just so many more opportunities there and if I end up having to be an unemployed butt or volunteering for a few months while I wait for an opportunity, I'd much rather do it there than here (and it will likely be a much shorter wait there). Anyways a job came up today for a curator position for a small museum in a small town about 40 minutes outside of the city I intend to move to, and I just had to apply because it sounded like an amazing opportunity and they want someone for a 1 year contract to revitalize their museum and archives, which is basically what I have been studying to do. So, yeah, I applied. I'm pretty sure since I don't have any experience (though there were no minimum requirements for experience), my chances are nill, but it's just too good of an opportunity not to send my resume into. But I kinda really hope I don't get it because the start-date is June 17 (and the closing date for applications is May 31), which means I'd have very little time to find a place to live and move about 8 hours away, not to mention try to wrap up my research here and try to figure out a new job while trying to write a dissertation. Life would be insane. But as my friend pointed out today, it's kinda a win/win scenario: either I get the job and get an amazing kick-start to my career, or I don't get the job and get to finish my dissertation in peace. Plus if I get to the interview process, it would be great experience even if I don't get the job.

TL;DR: I applied for an amazing job I hope I don't get.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    jcgoble3, Gamiel and Mistress_Renata like this.
  18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    First off, in a city, a 40 minute drive ain't so bad. It's a hassle but people do worse.

Secondly, curate a small town museum???? Are you crazy? That is an awesome job. And an awesome stepping stone to bigger things.

The hassle of having to move quickly is a small price to pay to get a nice job.

Just saying, if you were my kid I'd be pushing you out the door. "Go. Do the stuff you went to college to learn. Embrace it. And earn a few bucks."

There. A kick in the pants from a dad.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's part of the reason why I am moving to this area regardless - it's actually 8 different municipalities all within 90 minutes from one 'end' to the other (and in an area that doesn't get much snow). So, especially compared to the vast isolation that is Northern Canada (seriously, the next town over from my current location is 90 minutes away), there's just so much more opportunity and it is so much more feasible to live in one town but work in a different town.

Thanks, And yes, I know it's an amazing opportunity if I get it, which is why I just said "kriff the plan" and applied. If I do get the position (but again, slim chance), I'm going to take it and just figure it out from there. My sister already said I can live with her for a few weeks until I can find a place, and could theoretically finish up my research quickly, move, then write my dissertation while working. It would be an insane few months, but I could and would do it for this opportunity.

But, at the same time, if I don't even get a call for an interview, part of me (a BIG PART) will be relieved that I won't have to force myself to the brink of insanity.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    At the very least, sending out letters & resumes and getting interview experience is a good thing. And when you get to your city, volunteering isn't bad, either. You've done internships, yes? Check in with your mentors & program leader to see if they hear of anything. Even if your network is small, it is valuable.

DarthUncle, AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    All the best to @Briannakin and @jcgoble3.

I commute within Germany's capital between 40 minutes and 1 hour to work. Depending on the traffic when I forced to take a bus. When I am inside the underground there are horrible delays, too. Too many passengers & too few BVG wagons that actually work. (Mostly U7.) Underground stations that are suddenly under construction and no warning (U7 and U2) . The ceiling that comes crushing down in some parts. (U2 of late.)

And do not start me on the S-Bahn. Yes, it worked during the day of the 24 hour strike of the BVG because at present in belongs to the DB. But the tracks are decaying and the fleet is rotting away too.

Berlin is like the Old Republic. Decaying from within.

Anyway, I need to take good care of @DarthUncle now. We watched the Eurovision Song Contest together with one of my sauna ladies and her Spanish fiancé who was on what's app in far away Alicante. When our friend went home after the country votes, I urged my husband to watch on.

Now the Netherlands have won for the 1st time in 44 years.

@earlybird-obi-wan, ik weet niet of je had gekijken, maar gefeliciteerd.

I wish everyone else a happy JC board time. These days I am offline most of the time for there are so many things to do. Reading & writing fanfic has become a special treat.

22. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    It is a truth universally acknowledged that your fan will break on the hottest night of the year so far, when the landlord has not yet turned on the air con for the summer. Hot under the collar in EVERY sense of the word! Oh, well. Bought a new fan (the other one was about 10 years old). And it's battery operated, so it can go camping.

I also bought one of those instant pot things. I realized it functioned as both a slow cooker and a rice cooker, and I could get rid of 2 appliances in my tiny kitchen and free up some room. I've never used any kind of pressure cooker, so a little more uncertain about that...

23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Nice warming beef stews, as summer sets in.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Spent 15 minutes this evening lying on a table in an MRI machine at the local children's hospital for a university research study. Walked out with a check for $50. Thursday night I go back to do it again for another $50. Hey, I'll take $100 for two hours of my time.

25. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Maybe pulled pork, if I can get over my fear of blowing up the kitchen. I am thinking that it will generate less heat than the stove.
    Hey, if you're not claustrophobic, why not?

jcgoble3 likes this.