main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    @Briannakin I LOVE Harry Potter and the sacred text! Their lectio divina practices and other analyses are awesome. And I love their weekly blessings.

AzureAngel2 and Briannakin like this.
  2. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I had that same feeling when I found a screenwriter from Pink Five commented on my P5 fanfic. Then the director commented on my reply to him saying he noticed it first. So many fun and fond memories of that fandom.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I went through a several week period of waking up to the sounds of breaking-in from my back door, around 4am, 5am; getting up going to investigate, but finding the place calm, my laptop in that room blinking happily, back door locked, nothing in the back garden, everything fine.

At the latter part of that time, I noticed a subtle feeling around the ears of blood pressure, and went on the internet to check if there was such a thing as blood pressure creating loud noises, and there was!

Either "percussion" or "concussive", the blood pressure passing your ears can create sounds that sound like banging; and it has made my night time a whole lot easier knowing that I can mostly ignore that particular scary-sounding noise. I also eased up on a particular Chinese Takeaway meal to lessen the incidence.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve had that percussion effect during bad migraines.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @DarthIshtar - I believe that the vegetable curry element of the takeaway meal I cut down on, was particularly oil heavy.
    I don't know what easing up on an equivalent in your own cuisine would do to the rest of the migraine, but it might help the banging element.

AzureAngel2 and DarthIshtar like this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Raissa Baiard - Ahhh..... that is so awesome to get those reactions!!! :D :D [face_dancing] And those emojis are sooo cute!

AzureAngel2 and Raissa Baiard like this.
  7. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Just popping up saying "Hi". Summer is alwas awful at my job since half the staff is on vacation, so I've been otherwise occupied - to say the least. Now I'm slowly emerging to the surface again - eagerly awaiting my own vacation which will begin in less than a week now. Really looking forward to that. Plans include camping (yep, tent or hammock) and familiy visit, and then 3 days horse riding in the mountains before heading home again. I will most likely reside in hotels on my way back since I will be so sore after the horse riding that I would probably not be able to get into (or out of) my small tent [face_talk_hand] .

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, all, look at this:

AO3 wins 2019 Hugo Award for Best Related Work*

A real plum not only for AO3 but also for fan fiction in general—wonderful to finally see it getting this kind of recognition! =D=

*I hope it’s OK to post this link; it’s just to an AO3 news page rather than to a story or similar. If needed, I’ll unlink it.

9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That's awesome! I agree, it's a win for fanfic/fanworks in general!

Carajinn- that sounds like a wonderful and deserved vacation! I hope you have a blast!

Findswoman likes this.
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've been done with volunteering for over 48 hours and having free time has been great. My colleagues hugged me a lot and gave me a sweet card, my roommate gave me Game of Thrones sheet music, I was bought dinner and lunch on consecutive days. But I also had two fanifc writing sessions, watched two movies, slept in on both days, and went on long walks.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Suggestions:

WH40k
    * A group of ratling on an mission to take out one of the leaders for the enemies forces, having not just to survive the enemies but also the lack of food for more than four meal a day! The horror, the horror.
    * A group of ogryn, stranded behind the enemy line have to fight their way back to their own side. Complicating things are that only one of them is a bone'ead and they lost all their human handlers.
    * a group of imperial beastmen on a mission, facing not only the threat of the enemy but also that many on their side consider them better of dead. And they have to stop themselves from acting like beasts instead of men.

AoS
    * A band of Freeguild Pistoliers in Chamon, the Realm of Metal, carrying a message of importance. They will have to get to their goal as quickly as possible, without pouching their horses too hard, while enemies hunt them and the "natural" dangers of realm harassing them.
    * A group of noble freelance knight travelling hunting a dangerous beast together - they are actually Crypt Horrors from the Flesh-eater Courts and the perspective flips between how they see the world and what's actually happening.
    * Murders of an unusual kind are happening in the city of Glimmeropolis, and it's up to the members of the Rangers Guild to catch the killers (who are a Cypher Lords warband that has travelled to the city through the Candleflame Realmgate).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Serious Ghost Town around her today. [face_sigh]

13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    *De-lurks* BOO!

[face_laugh]

Lady_Misty and brodiew like this.
  14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I have good lurk lurking, but wouldn't lurk too hard into it. Lurch might come lurking. 8-}

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ghost town? So you want another annoying update from the land of dissertation?

I finished editing today! AAAAAAANNNNNND I fixed all my citations I somehow messed up! (though now I'm super paranoid that there's more mistakes in my citations - you'd think after 8 years of post secondary I'd know this - but I'm at the point where, if there are mistakes, I don't know where they are). I also wrote my (really bad) abstract. Anyways. So tomorrow, and I guess until it's done is all about formatting. I gotta compile it out of Scrivener (yes, I even write academic stuff in that program because it makes footnotes sooo easy) and into MS word, reinsert all my pictures and figure out how to do a table of contents and other boring yet labour intensive stuff. Thinking tomorrow might be a "lock myself in the library with no distractions " day.

My friend from out of town has been here for the past two days, so I got to hang out with her, and apparently there are plans to go out for dinner tonight, but no one can decide anything :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    jcgoble3, Mistress_Renata and brodiew like this.
  16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I will give you a pass, Briannakin. [face_shhh] Like I have much to say about it. I'm hardly ever in this thread. [face_laugh]

Edit: Oh, wait. No pass for you! I need my PM for my second time trial request! [face_praying]

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I think my laptop is kaput. It’s been acting weird for a few weeks, not saving, not downloading and a few other random little things. Then today, despite being plugged in, showing as charging and the light on showing it’s plugged in, it shows as 1% and keeps shutting off. It’s a 2012, so pretty old for a laptop, but still... ugh... :(

Bri- Yaaaaayyyy!!! You are so close!!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    @Briannakin, you're so close! So close! One more big push and you'll be done!

(I can't find a good GIF...) DOBBY IS FREE!!!!!

I hear ya. Mine is 2008, and definitely time to replace.

mavjade and Briannakin like this.
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh no! Though sometimes when it's time... it's time. My MacBook that I bought in 2013, then gave to my sister in 2017 after I got my new one as a grad gift, died on her in May. the screen started to do funny pixelated things.

Yessss! I'm not sure if the end of the week is unrealistic with all the other things, but that's what I'm pushing for (it all kinda depends on how annoyed I get with the formatting). I know I have to leave it for a week before I go back through my final read though, but I just wanna be a free elf.

Edit: Ugh! I forgot how... annoying these friends of mine are. "Dinner" plans turned into drinks at 7:30, which then got pushed back to "maybe 8:30 or 9" which still no one has confirmed yet. I live the furthest away from the planned location so I'd kinda like to know. What annoys me is, I could have been cleaning instead of waiting around, killing time.

Edit 2: So, I just kinda feel so... disrespected now. No one ever confirmed the plans - or they just forgot me - so I've waisted an entire evening, waiting around, dressed up, when I could have been in my sweatpants getting stuff accomplished.

20. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, I hate this! And when you ask them later, they mumble vaguely about, "Oh, they decided to just stay in and order a pizza." And you find yourself thinking that they are higher on your friends chart than you are on theirs. :mad:

21. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I totally agree. I hate when people make appointments and then they just disappear in a fog of uncertainty and never turns up. Og course thinks can happen and delays occur, but if so they should at least inform.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    People do this to me frequently and can’t understand my annoyance. I have little time free and sacrifice to do things. They don’t care.

I got a mild concussion this weekend and need sleep.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  23. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm sorry to hear this happened, Briannakin. You, too, Ish. A concussion? Ouch. I hope you get some rest.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks all! I'm actually rather upset and hurt by the situation. No one bothered to return my text asking to confirm the time. One friend (the one who organized it) told me she wasn't checking her phone because it was almost dead but that I should have called her. I guess I'm just upset because I'm a reliable person and if for some reason I have to cancel, I tell people, yet the three other people who went never bothered to check where I was. I got two apologies but I still think they are jerk faces. But I should have expected this. I've know these people since high school this has been done to me (and others) soooo many times:rolleyes:

But the good news today is that MS word was cooperative, plus I went and locked myself in the library, so I got a lot done! Hoping to be done by friday, then I have a hell of a weekend.

Ouch! Feel better soon.

Lady_Misty and Mistress_Renata like this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Lame excuse. If her phone was almost dead, how could she have answered it anyway? And the other two didn't have phones? And if you are planning to meet up with someone, you check your texts to see if they are running late or to let them know there is a change of plans. Your friends are rude.

Rest & recover, @DarthIshtar!

I am finally unpacked from my camping trip, all the gear is cleaned. Some needs to be put away in storage, but a few things need mending first. Mending was easier before I had a cat. Was trying to sew a button back on the other day, he was entranced. Trying to grab the thread, knock the scissors off the table. What was alarming was that he was trying to bite the needle! I love him, but it is hard to keep him alive and have hobbies at the same time.

And I had my shingles shot. Arm sore for two weeks. Now it's just itchy. I found out that the measles vacc I got as a kid has worn off. Caveat to you over-50s, with measles once again running rampant in this country, you want to get a blood test to see if you are still immune. The shots they gave us back then become ineffective over time. The new ones now are supposedly lifelong. At any rate, I have to make an appointment now for another vacc. Then I should be okay.

Lady_Misty likes this.