main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know why we could not post?

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: ops, double post

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Check the technical issues thread in Comms. TL;DR: issues with the database and log files.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am surprised that I didn't have multiple posts after yesterday. I kept trying to post but kept getting an error message.

Yesterday I had the day off and decided to do nothing but watch HULU, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and now Facebook Watch. It was very relaxing.

You know, my cat naps about 16 hours a day...but when I wanted to take a short nap yesterday she has to be jumping on me and purring next to my ear until I get up. She's sleeping now. I should wake her up.

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Checking in from a Northern California that's been in the midst of a power safety shutoff/fire crisis since like Wednesday... not only do I have the internet today, but... powah! Yay! (Here, we actually lost power on Saturday night... and my fellow citizens apparently don't handle their own panic very well. The bread asile was stripped clean at one store I went to, and I didn't check the other one today...)

Stats on the Kincade Fire to our south: 76,825 acres, 30% containment
    On the Local Burris Compost Facility (really) Fire: 805 Acres, 85% containment

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Please stay safe there in California.

Kind Halloween greetings from Germany's capital!

Lady_Misty, DaenaBenjen42 and brodiew like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy Halloween everyone!

Today has been one of those weird days where I look at the time and it's like 3 hours later than I think it is. I did a BUNCH of running around yesterday and was completely exhausted last night, so I guess I turned off my alarm this morning and overslept till 11, which has just screwed up my entire day. Bah. Tomorrow will be better... I hope.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Happy Halloween!! [face_pumpkin][face_pumpkin]

Bri- YAAAYYY and congratulations on the dissertation!! (Sorry, I know it's late!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally finished my last day at my job. [face_party]My boss was being really passive aggressive since before I gave my notice (when I wasn't going to apply to another position there) and I have no idea why, which makes me even happier I was leaving if he was going to be that kind of guy. I officially start my new job tomorrow, but I don't have to go in anywhere, just do some online things. But I found out I'll be going to Vegas the second week of November! :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

Yay for being done at that job Mav!! I knew you were struggling at it for awhile, but that sounds really toxic. Hopefully this new one is much better. And Vegas?! Fun! if there was ever a need for our bail money, that would be it!!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Lady_Misty and mavjade like this.
  10. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Fire update, and the rain can't come soon enough... And **HUGS** to everybody. Am practicing safeness... (And also thank you to PG&E for turning the power back on two days earlier than they originally said they were going to...)

Kincade: 77,758 acres at... am I reading this right? Wow, if I am... 65% containment. (It's come a LONG way since last Wednesday.)
    Burris: 703 acres at... 93% containment.
    Easy Fire in Simi Valley (which is the one that was threatening the Reagan Presidential Library): 1,806 acres at 60% containment

Edit: Some positive news in the midst of devastation... my cousin and uncle's houses are still standing AND the Kincade fire is now at 70% containment. AND repopulation has begun. And the Burris Fire gained another 2% containment. (I'll take the positives. My three year old cousin also had his very first haircut on monday in the middle of all this...)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Blah. So, I decided to have a coffee this morning after weeks of not consuming any. I had gone to bed and woken up at a pretty decent hour (thank you end of DST for my hour back) and I kinda want to see if I can keep the schedule. However, if I drink coffee after not having it for awhile, it either makes me super focused, or gives me like attention deficit and super anxiety. Unfortunately it's the latter today. I can't even focus on one fic to write and I'm just being super indecisive about everything.

Lady_Misty and brodiew like this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Daylight Savings Time is a paradoxically wonderful and horrible thing: you get an ‘extra’ hour of sleep but it gets darker sooner and your schedule is thrown off.

The Youngling is capable of sleeping two plus hours by himself in the crib but so far it’s been a hit and miss with him doing it more than one night before we’re back to him barely sleeping in it for an hour or less before he wakes up crying to cuddle and/or nurse before falling back to sleep and maybe sleep another thirty minutes in the crib before waking again.

At least he’s growing like a weed: nineteen pounds and four ounces and twenty-seven inches and seven eighths tall as of the most recent measurements.

In other news we’re getting our furnace replaced sometime in the very near future so we won’t have to rely on space heaters to keep us warm this Winter and the leaky pipes feeding the upstairs plumbing is going to be replaced soon so no more trips to the laundry mat or the local YMCA for showers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Today is a hard day. On the verge of tears. My layoff looms only 30 days away. 19 years with the same company. Today we are having a job fair and I have not completed my resume. I'm anxious, nervous, and on the cusp of a panic attach, which I only have on very rare occasions. My veneer is cracking and my well crafted denial is crumbing. My procrastination mixed with some confidence and worthiness issues are beating me up pretty good. It's not a pity party, just a reality check that is hitting me pretty hard today. :( [face_plain] [face_sigh]

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You got this @brodiew. You spent 19 years with a company and that tells an employer a lot. Layoffs are not your fault. I think you may be surprised by new job offers. Get that resume finished!

Well, my youngest came home today and announced that he was joining the Army National Guard. He said he was going into the medical field as a Combat Medic. He thought that was going to be safe because the National Guard stays within the state. I told him Combat Medics go where the combat is and the National Guard does go overseas to combat zones. He didn't quite believe me, so he called his recruiter and asks him if the local National Guard was scheduled for any overseas combat tours. The answer is 'Yes, May 2020 to Afghanistan'. I told him he doesn't need to go Combat Medic. He can be a surgical tech or radiologist. I told him look into all medical fields. I can't really tell him it is a bad idea since I joined the regular Army at the age of 17 (parents had to sign a waiver for me to do so) and served for 11 years and their father joined at the age of 18 and stayed in 26 years.

:rolleyes:

I am just afraid he is going to get all revved up for this and find out he is not eligible because of the stroke he had as a baby. He has only small lingering effects from the stroke.

I guess we will find out.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    That is extremely annoying @brodiew . Unfortunately (or fortunately I dunno) the days of staying forever with one company until retirement is over it seems. There is so much uncertainty. My advice, don't procrastinate! You have plenty of skills and I'm sure you'll get a new job quickly because employers will value your experiences.

brodiew likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    @brodiew - It's a really scary thing, especially when you've been with the same company as long as you have, but you'll get through it! I believe in you! Get that resume done and go get 'em!

Jedi_Lover- Well I'm glad he learned that they do get deployed overseas before he got taken by surprise later!

My first week at my new job is going well, but I got thrown in the deep end. I'm on my own for about 4 hours in the morning and I haven't even been to training yet!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a job interview in the morning for a federal Department of Defense internship program. Hoping I don't screw it up.

EDIT: Also, before midnight hits, the trophy system just reminded me that today is my nine-year boardversary!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    brodiew and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    We have 100% containment on the Kincade Fire! YAY!!!!!!!!!

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, I've had a headache for three days. (Don't worry, this has happened before, starts as a migraine and then just lingers as a headache.) My new boss probably thinks I'm really weird... well weirder than I actually am. He came on Friday afternoon when we were almost done. At that point my what I hoped was just a headache was clearly turning into a migraine. When that happens I can't sit down because it makes it much worse and I start yawning uncontrollably. So he and one of the sales guys and I were talking, they were sitting down and I'm standing when there are plenty of free seats and I just keep yawing.
    Thankfully we left soon after that and I could get home before it turned into a full blown migraine because that would have just been great my first week.

@jcgoble3 - Happy Boardiversary! [face_party] How did the interview go? That would be an amazing internship!!

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    @mavjade you should try taking Gravol when you feel a migraine coming on! I dunno how it exactly works but it somehow helps at least reduce the intensity of it (at least for me). Maybe it could help.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. I am so sorry to hear about the headache. That really sucks, and just when you start a new job.

Earlier in October I had one of those and the light-headedness/dizziness just lingered for like a week. I think it was just the craziness of the move but it just sucked.

Hopefully the internship interview went well, JC, and happy belated board-anniversary!

As for me, I don't want to jinx anything (because, while illegal, discrimination against employing people with disabilities is a real thing) but I do have an interview on Friday, and I have another job application in. In both cases I'm actually overqualified, so we shall see what happens.

But, I also got my plane ticket back home for Christmas, so now that I know what city I'll be in (I don't leave till the 22nd), I have made plans to see Rise of Skywalker opening night! Unfortunately, since my sister works till 9, we have to go to the latest showing on the 19th, but THE MOVIE THEATRES IN THIS CITY AREN'T COMPLETE GARBAGE!! (Unlike the theatre back where I used to live) so reserved seats are now a thing in my life, so no lining up three hours early in -20C weather.

And, while I'm really in the mood to write today, my muse is just being a bit butt.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yay for seeing it on opening night! [face_party][face_party][face_party]

As for the interview, I feel like it went well. This was the introductory interview with an HR person, which is automatic for everyone who applies and meets the requirements. The information from this round of interviews at universities nationwide will be assembled into a database that will be distributed to managers in January, who will then begin to contact applicants to interview for specific positions. I specifically told the interviewer that I was looking for a summer internship only and nothing during the school year since I don't feel like I could successfully juggle school and work at once, so I might not hear anything until spring rolls around. I also want to stay local due to aging parents who periodically need my assistance. Fortunately my university is adjacent to a major Air Force base that is the largest single employer in the metro area, so there should be plenty of positions there.

The program in question is an initiative by the U.S. Department of Defense called the Workforce Recruitment Program, and is specifically for students and recent graduates with disabilities. The intent is to encourage managers to hire people with disabilities, as for the first six months in a position hired through the WRP, the program itself pays the wages, meaning that it does not come out of the manager's budget. WRP positions are internships or temporary career positions that can transition to a permanent position, at which point the wage payment responsibility shifts from the WRP budget to the department manager's budget.

mavjade likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sounds similar to a program we have here through the Provincial Government - it's internships within the government for recent graduates with disabilities. It's kinda like my "Plan B" right now. Applications are in March then through a number of selection programs, the paid internships start in September. I wasn't eligible for it this year since I was still in school (and I don't technically graduate till January) but I figure if I don't have a job by March, I'll apply.

So, I decided to order pizza for dinner (I live a 5 minute walk from a really good pizzeria and wanted to get some fresh air anyways), so before I left I opened the weather app just to see if I needed a sweater or my jacket. The app said it was -12C (10F) and I was really confused, then I realized I still had it set for the previous town I lived in (SUCKERS! It was actually 6C - about 42F - where I live now).

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Interesting! I'll give it a try, I'll give basically anything a try. And if nothing else, those kinds of things tend to make me really sleepy, so maybe I'd just sleep through.

Bri- Good luck with the interview! Are you worried about being overqualified? I know that can sometimes make things difficult. And yessss.... for it being so much warmer!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    l recommend Gravol too. If anything, it just helps with the nausea, but I also use it to help knock myself out so I can sleep through it.

I'm not worried about being overqualified. If anything it should give me a fighting chance. For the one I have an interview for - it's kinda a not great position - but getting the position and having my MA will help me move to a better position as soon as one opens. For the one I just applied for, it will definitely help to be overqualified I think.

I went for a long walk today to clear my head and maybe knock some plot bunnies loose. No bunnies came, BUT I SAW DUCKS!!

[​IMG]

Lady_Misty, mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.