main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It's snowing here right now for the first time this season. I'm hoping we get enough to shut my university down tomorrow but that's unlikely.

In other news, my physics professor gave us a homework problem to find the maximum of a force function, and the damn thing has no defined maximum. It blows up to positive infinity as the variable approaches zero from the positive side, has a minimum at a certain value, and then approaches zero from the negative side the further positive the variable gets. (In calculus terms, the limit as the variable goes to zero from the right is positive infinity, and the limit as the variable goes to positive infinity is zero.) I'd say the maximum is at zero, except that the function is undefined there because it results in division by zero. There is a local maximum if you allow the variable to be negative, but that doesn't make physical sense (the variable is the separation distance between two atoms). At this point I'm too frustrated to focus, so I'm quitting for the night and will send the professor an email in the morning.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    @jcgoble3 tell the professor you are a little stumped and it might help if he explains the real world application of that particular problem. If all else fails put down the number 42.

I just watched the first episode of The Mandalorian. No spoilers other than to say I liked it.

3. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I talked to the professor this morning in office hours. Turns out the minimum I found was the minimum separation force, which as a negative value was actually the maximum attraction force, which is what the problem was looking for. So I was literally staring at the wrong answer; I just didn't understand that the maximum attraction force was actually the minimum of the function, because nowhere in the problem did it specify whether the force function gave separation or attraction force. :oops:I blame whoever wrote the problem (which might very well be my professor).

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    @jcgoble3 you are making my head hurt. I am married to a physicist. He tries to explain stuff to me and I yell, "Just say it's magic! I can understand that!"

Jedi Knight Fett and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah... physics was always my weakest subject, so I've got nothing. But I'm glad you got it figured out, JC!

No snow here, just got cold and windy.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I was hoping to make somebody's head hurt, because mine was hurting over it last night. [face_devil]

mavjade likes this.
  7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Is this one of those physics mixed with calculus course? I can do calculus and physics, but once you combine them together........[face_dunno]:confused::_|

8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep, calculus-based physics. And I'm in an honors section, too. The whole problem started with a potential energy function of the separation distance between two hydrogen atoms, and force is equal to the negative of the derivative of the potential energy function with respect to distance... :-B

gizkaspice likes this.
  9. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Probably would make sense if there was some formula or graph for reference , but glad you got it figured out! I hope this course doesn't have integrals or multivariable things because those things are evil and just no *glares at trigonometric integrals.....* [face_not_talking]

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The last round of homework included a question that required me to integrate a trig function of another function, so I got to combine trig integration with u-substitution in one problem. :p No multivariable stuff, though.

gizkaspice likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I made it as far as Physics 11. That was it. I would have done Physics 12 but it just didn't fit in my schedule. But I was the only one of my siblings to take Math further than what was required.

I had a job interview today! It wasn't the interview I mentioned before (that's Friday) - this was for the position I applied for over the weekend. The person called me yesterday and I went in for the interview today. I think it went well. It's for a museum coordinator job at a much smaller museum/visitor centre two towns over, so on one hand it's a really great starting job and the pay is better... on the other hand, the commute would be a whole lot longer (I have to drive over a huge floating bridge across a lake to get there). So, while I do want it, I won't be heartbroken if I don't.

Lady_Misty, mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Mighty quiet around the Fan Fic board today...[face_thinking] :( [face_shhh] [face_whistling]

Lady_Misty and Findswoman like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So I didn't get the good job with the horrible commute - I'm not exactly surprised or disappointed. Going over that bridge every morning and every evening during rush hour probably would have killed my soul. Both my internal soul and the Kia Soul I drive :p

I however, did get kinda the "less than ideal" contract job at the museum society in the city I live in, so much shorter of a commute and I'll make my own hours!!! I'm basically doing an accessibility audit on three museums starting in December. It's not much in terms of work, but it'll look good on a resume and I'll be able to meet people.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    A little too quiet.

People might be busy with NaNoWriMo. I got the next six days off. Woot! I need to catch up to win NaNo. I do plan on going to see the film JoJo Rabbit with my oldest son tomorrow. My youngest said, "I'm going with friends." I'm like, "I'm not your friend?" He answered with a series of emojis that I interpreted as "Okay, Boomer."

I think he is still mad that I kicked him out of my house and made him live in the condo I got for him across the street from the college. I'm mean like that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I've reached the point in the semester where I come home from school in the evening and just lay in bed all evening refreshing Facebook because I have no motivation to do fun stuff except a little bit on the weekends. I'm ready for this semester to be over.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats on the job, Bri!! Making your own hours is awesome! And that does sound like something that will not only be very useful to the museums (and museum goers) but will look amazing on your resume!

Anyone watched The Mandalorian? Absolutely no spoilers, but I was expecting to like it, but since I've never been huge on the Mandos, I didn't expect to love it, but I do! I love it so much!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I like it, but I want to see Pedro's face. I know the Mandalorians usually keep their helmet on in public, but maybe we can get a shower scene in.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks.

Yeah. I've been watching the Mandalorian. I too am not big into Mandos but I've really been enjoying it! I'm really liking the format of the live-TV series.

Today I bought an electric fire place and an actual TV (thank you pre-Black Friday sales). My place looks so much more complete! (Though I do need some more artwork on the walls).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    If I get the on-campus apartment (I'll find out next month), one of my first purchases for it will be a George Foreman grill and panini press. There's one on Amazon here for less than $15: click here

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I hope you get the on-campus apartment. Is that going to be a single person apartment or will you have roommates?

I was worried about my two sons rooming together at college, but it appears to be working out. The older one says he doesn't mind his brother being his roommate because he cleans. It appears we have an Oscar and Felix odd couple situation going on. One is a slob and the other wants the place clean. I still don't understand why he wouldn't clean a thing when he lived with me. Probably because he knew I would eventually do the cleaning for him.

I went to two movies this weekend. The new Terminator movie and JoJo Rabbit. I liked them both. The Terminator movie had a ton of action, but I don't think they really should have made any more movies after T2. That movie left us in a good place. I did like Terminator Genisys better than Dark Fate...and I know I am in the minority there. It just seemed like the happy ending that a fanfiction writer would write.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Single-person efficiency apartment. I would never be able to coexist with a roommate.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's good. I never liked roommates, but in the military I had them for seven years until I got married and then I had a permanent roommate for the last 31 years. I think I only lived alone for one year of my life and that was when my husband was off to EOD school.

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I’m watching the Mandalorian and enjoying it; haven’t seen the latest episode yet because I had places to be including an hour and a half trip to see my neurologist and visit with my Nana.

My Mom seems confused that the Youngling isn’t sleeping through the night at seven and a half months despite eating solids at 8:00-8:30 and insists that all of us were sleeping through the night at his age.

So, my nephew Davidson was injured in a car accident last Monday and it was quite serious. I didn’t realize that my Nana didn’t know and told her when I heard that Marie, my cousin, second ex husband and his mother have nothing to do with their son and I said that it was sad that families drift apart due to divorce and death and that I had been thinking about things like that after Davidson was in the accident and how I hadn’t seen my sister Renee’s son since shortly after her death and that I hadn’t seen Davidson in years. So she asked me what hospital he was in and I told her and apparently Marie works there and had told Nana and Aunt Rose that a distant relative was a patient and that she wasn’t attending to them because they were related.

My Mom’s surprised that Marie didn’t share that it was Davidson while I am not because he’s a patient and the whole ‘doctor-patient confidentially’ thing would prevent her from sharing who it was since she knew how bad his injuries were and are.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah they are really strict when it comes to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996). Even when we see friends as visitors in the hospital we aren't suppose to say, "Who are you visiting or why are you here?" My mother-in-law was recovering from surgery and I happened to be in the post-anesthesia care unit doing a treatment. She had a nurse come over to get me so we could talk. I freaked and asked the nurse if that was allowed. I was told it was okay because the patient asked for me. Still, I felt uncomfortable.

I hope your nephew gets well soon.

Edit: If you are cleaning the house and find a $100 bill...it's finders keepers, right? I think I found my kids birthday money. He no longer lives here, so possession is 9/10th of the law. j/k.

Edit: My son informed me that I was mistaken in my belief. The money is his!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, privacy laws in the medical field are extremely strict, and with good reason. I hope your nephew gets better.

I'm glad my roommate/housemates days are over! I'm not sure I could go back to it (I'm sure I could but I probably wouldn't do it by choice).

So, odd news in my life. The university that I did my undergrad at might get shut down within the next 5-10 years. Some of you might remember 5 years ago when the faculty at my uni went on strike and the cluster storm that was my life. ANYWAYS they are on strike again because the admin is being butts and refusing to pay them industry standards. They've been on strike now for two weeks with no end in sight. And now, today, it has been leaked that there was/is a plan to shut down the university by the administration. On one hand, my heart is with all my friends currently doing their undergrad and masters there. ON THE OTHER HAND, I'm very glad I did my master's elsewhere. It will be odd to have a degree from somewhere that doesn't exist anymore.

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.