main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! I am on day four of having Laryngitis. My voice cracks like a male tween going through puberty. I am going to try to see my doctor tomorrow. It is weird. I don't have a fever and it doesn't hurt much. It is just a tightness in my throat. If it doesn't get better by Tuesday I will have to call in sick. My job requires me to talk...and usually I am talking to 80 year old people who are almost deaf. I won't survive a 12 hour shift.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Easy: It's Montreal. All of Quebec is controlled by the lizard people.

Aaaaacccchhhhh Jedi_Lover! I hope you get feeling better soon! I can handle most ailments, but anything to do with my throat just turns me into a big baby.

I spent most of today giving my condo a good cleaning (but I got too tired to clean the kitchen). It wasn't that dirty but I figured a good clean now, plus a bit of a tidy up right before I leave next Sunday, and I'll be able to come back to a fairly clean home after Christmas). But now I'm just exhausted.

Lady_Misty, gizkaspice and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve been coughing for a week and it’s a good thing that my contribution to the long choral program today at church was playing piano.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I will clarify further: lizard people that speak French. They survive on poutine. They have some kind of special anti-freeze-like material in their blood that allows them to survive freezing temperatures. They only come out at random times like this time.

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I mean, your not wrong.

I'm currently debating playing the "can I survive this week without going grocery shopping" game. I was going to go today... but it's snowing like crazy. I would go (or just pay to have them delivered... God I love living in a city) but I don't think I need to. I'm getting my meal-prep kit delivered today so that's my dinners for 4 days, plus I usually order out on Friday and I have plans for Saturday. I leave early Sunday morning and I'm gone for over a week so trying to eat whats in my cupboard and freezer isn't the worst idea. Plus I have other plans to go out this week (I'm not sure how many of those plans I'll actually go to, especially given the weather) so I could grab a couple things when I'm out.

Plus theres always the option of ordering pizza :p

Lady_Misty and gizkaspice like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is their Canadian nature overruling their French one? I mean: are they sorry for the inconvenience they are creating or are they snotty about it?

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well, I mean, they are Canadian by nature so of course that alligator in Montreal is going to be sorry for the inconvenience that it's in the middle of the road, but in French. :p

divapilot, Briannakin and Gamiel like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I got into see my doctor today and was given prednisone to reduce the inflammation of my vocal cords. I had to call in sick for work tomorrow since I am supposed to rest my voice. What is good is my schedule had me working tomorrow, then I have two days off and then I work Friday through Monday. So I am hoping I will be back to normal by Friday so I don't have to miss more work.

I am such a hypochondriac through. While waiting for my prescription to be filled at the pharmacy I ended up buying $100 worth of over the counter products to help me get better quicker to include a Vicks personal steam inhaler and a bunch of stuff to help my immune system. I don't like being sick. :(

An alligator in Canada is not something one sees often. It must have been pretty cold because that reptile was moving very slowly. I assume everybody in Canada knew what they were looking at. I grew up in the city and the first time I saw an opossum I thought it was the biggest rat I had ever seen. I remember the first time a deer ran in front of my car one night. I said to my boyfriend (now husband), "That is one big dog!" In my defense, it was night and I didn't get a good look at it...but when you grow up in an area where there are no deer...your mind goes to what is familiar. And now I live in the woods where bears come onto my front porch. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    WHAT.HAVE.I.STARTED? [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

We had an invasions of wild boars in the city in June, in all seriousness. They live on this huge island that is protected and the Danube was high, so they ran away to safety and...let's say that there even was one that jumped to his suicide off a three-storey parking lot. Elsewhere, people saved piglets from being hit by cars.

And in which thread am I supposed to say that I reserved my ticket for the pre-premiere on Wednesday? The very first showing? So out of lööps, bröther.

Lady_Misty and DarthIshtar like this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a quick note to say that we've posted the Rise of Skywalker discussion thread here in resource, so outside of when you are seeing it / how many times you are seeing it type discussions, they should all go there and not here in the social thread. The first post of that thread has no spoilers, but out side of that any spoilers from having seen the movie are fair game.
    [/mod-announcement]

J_L - I hope you feel better soon. I got laryngitis right before I started a job a few years back and I was thinking they'd all think I was a 50 pack-year smoker, because that's what I sounded like. LOL.

Wow... an alligator just waltzing around Montreal. That's not something you see everyday!

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wish I sounded like my 50 pack-year patients. I saw one of my frequent-fliers and he said, "You sound awful!" And this was when I was just getting a little hoarse.

But I have the next three days off and the Mandalorian is showing on Wednesday this week. Win!

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthIshtar like this.
  13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I got laryngitis three days before my senior mid year concert in high school. This usually wasn’t a problem because who’d notice if one of 50 people in the choir was a little quieter? Unfortunately, because I was a senior and one of the best altos in the school, I had a major solo during the Vivaldi Gloria. It was three days after I lost my voice, so I went to my acupuncturist, who broke open the capillaries in my back and rubbed in an herbal remedy. My voice came back in a day and a half instead of the two weeks that was normal for me.

I’m now on day eight of coughing and it’s not getting better. This mostly means I’m sleep-deprived and sore from all the coughing.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I'm almost ready to post a fan fic update!!! :)

Having grown up in rural areas all of my life I find it almost hilarious that some people have very erroneous ideas of living in the middle of nowhere. My favorite is that Maine has no indoor plumping and that we have man-eating moose. Someone had a good laugh when I told them about the man-eating moose and said that 'yes, we have man eating moose; moose meat is quite tasty.'

I don't usually mind the cold but I think the lack of a reliable heat source has me annoyed about the cold. My mom on the other had wants to move to South Carolina. I hate snakes and I rather stay in a state where all we get is cold weather and lots of snow than move to where there are venominess snakes and hurricanes.

mavjade , Gamiel and DarthIshtar like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @mavjade - I was not planning to say anything I was not supposed to. I even assumed that the thread already existed. D'oh. Soz. <3

And why doesn't the board allow me to tag with a proper coma behind it? Uh, this is annoying. O_O

Just took mom to have a MR done. Our procedures are such that she has to formally get changed to PJs and spend most of the day in hospital. I was supposed to be at conference/concert hall at six, but we came back home at 17:45 and I was tired, plus saw that I don't necessarily need a three-dimensional experience, which is better for my eyes.

So...the second episode of the new local prime time TV series, work, bed and that news completely unrelated to Star Wars that is suddenly sensational and I don't know how to deal with it, okay...

I'm morbidly curious now.

Count on me to find the weirdest stuff on the internet. :D

Kahara and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Don't worry, my post wasn't in response to you, it just so happened to be when we planned on posting and I just wanted to make an announcement here in this thread. Sorry it seemed like I was responding to you, I didn't even think about it looking that way, but I can see how it does.

I feel you! Having grown up in West Virginia, I get asked weird things all the time. I've also gotten the indoor plumbing questions, but my favorite (as in the one that annoys me the most) is people asking if I've always worn shoes. :rolleyes:
    But [face_laugh] at the man eating moose.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I know. I saw a meme that had a cabin on the lake in the middle of nowhere and it said, "Could you live here for a month without TV or internet?" And everybody is saying, "Yes!" I'm thinking, "NO!" I already live in a cabin on the lake and there is just so much outdoor stuff I can do before I get tired of the mosquitoes, pollen and ticks. I would go crazy if I didn't have a lifeline to the outside world.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If there was radio and books/newspapers do I think it would be not to much of a problem - depending on the season and if there is electricity.

19. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    *sigh * This evening I saw TROS. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the new trilogy it was kind of bittersweet walking out from the movie, knowing that "this is the last time". After all I've seen all three trilogies in the movie theatre. Well, I assume it's a good thing I don't have to crawl in when I turn 90 years [face_tee_hee]. It just feels a bit weird having been following that universe back and fro for 40 years. Not quite sure if that makes me feel very old, or very young - at least at heart.

20. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    @Ewok Poet a moose is a large herbivore, similar to a reindeer (I suppose), but with a dark brown coat, huge antlers and really tall.

If you hit one in a vehicle the vehicle is going to be totaled (damaged beyond repair) and might be severely injured as well.

The thing was that a bunch of teens told another teen, ‘Mandy’, who was moving to where I lived for a year because her Mom got a job teaching at a local school, that we had moose that ate people here hence the ‘man-eating moose’.

But as with the English Language it could also be interpreted as (a) man eating moose (meat).

TE and I will be leaving soon to see TRoS with a friend of his and the friend’s wife.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are also known as 'elks' over here

Here is a clip of one

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    CaraJinn, Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.
  22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Day 7 of laryngitis...when does this end? I start back to work tomorrow. This sucks. At least I can be understood a little better than 5 days ago.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ack! Are you feeling any better?

Regarding misconceptions, I grew up in northern Canada. People have a ton about what it was like. No, I did not live in an igloo.

I had to go out early this morning to pick up some last minute things with my sister and I am just so exhausted. I wanna see TROS tonight... but I also don't want to leave my house. Thankfully my sister's boyfriend is picking me up so I don't have to drive.

I have about a billion things to do before I leave Sunday morning including make English Muffins from scratch because my sister, her BF and I are having a fancy brunch and exchanging gifts. Making English muffins actually isn't that hard... but it is a 3+ hour time commitment because the dough has to rise twice. I'm trying to decide if I should make them tonight while I'm killing time before the movie or just sleep some more.

Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    @Briannakin I am feeling a little better but I still sound horrible. I want to wear a mask tomorrow at work so the patients don't get worried. I am not contagious, but I do sound like I am (did go to the doctor to make sure). But the anti-Flu shot employees (or those allergic to the shots) were told to wear a mask during the next few months if they didn't get their flu shot. I don't want people to think I didn't want to get my vaccinations.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    J_L- the one time I had laryngitis, it lasted like 3 weeks. Those of us that work in health care tend not to get sick often, but when we do it's pretty intense. And yeah, wearing a mask is probably for the best even if you aren't contagious. Do you guys not have some indication on your badges that you got your flu shot? All three hospitals I've worked at have had that so they could quickly check if the people who should be wearing masks were.

Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.