main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Meh.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What about "Queeny" as a reference to 'I want to ride my bicycle' by Queen ?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    mavjade likes this.
  3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Possible maybe

And now for the stupid joke promised to @mavjade in the fanfic interview thread.

Here goes:

A horse walks into a bar, and a little while later, a Norse God walks in. Something humorous makes them both laugh, and they get to swapping jokes and stories.

A few hours pass, and the Norse God notices that the horse is starting to get pretty well drunk, and gently suggests something to the effect that maybe the horse has had enough.

The horse narrows his eyes at the Norse God and says, "What are you, my mother?"

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  4. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ... So, how is everyone?

I had a bit of a busy week so I decided to just have a very chill, very boring weekend, and it's been great. Plus the Paralympic Wheelchair Rugby qualifying rounds were in Vancouver this weekend, so many of my friends went to watch, and I was able to stream some games online.

But now I have to go to the grocery store and I just don't wanna go (because I'm lazy and it's oddly cold! It was so nice earlier this week, and this morning it snowed [face_not_talking]). But I'm getting a bit tired of mu usual grocery store by my place - it's quiet and small, which can be nice, but there's not much for selection. So I'm thinking I might venture to one of the other grocery stores in town. Later, though. There's one more match to see if the Canadian wheelchair rugby team is going to Japan (and they are undefeated thus far in this tournament so probably... I still wanna watch!).

Lady_Misty, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Crazy weekend to wrap up my spring break.

Yesterday I sat down on my bed after I got up and head a snap as the bed tilted. One of the plastic wheels broke, so I called my dad and he tracked down some of the wheels from my previous bed frame years ago. Then my mom came over to show me how to use the dishwasher. We loaded it and started it then sat down in the kitchen to play cribbage. 15 minutes later I shift my position on the chair, put my foot down, and get a wet sock. I look over and the dishwasher is emitting a decent amount of water from the bottom seal and the small kitchen floor is about 1/3 covered in water. Shut off the dishwasher and called emergency maintenance while we mopped up the water with a towel. Maintenance told us to wait an hour or so before opening the dishwasher (just to be safe) and put in a work order to come out tomorrow to look at it. We know the apartment had been empty for a while when I moved in (according to the maintenance guy who fixed the toilet the day I moved in), so it seems that it wasn't rented out for fall semester and therefore was probably empty in the summer as well. So we think that the seals are shot from 6-10 months of not being used. Then I drove to my dad's house, picked up an Amazon package that I had shipped there (because it couldn't be shipped to an Amazon Locker), and got the wheels.

Today I was expecting Amazon to deliver a package containing four replacement bed feet (to replace my wheels with since my bed isn't ever moved) to the Amazon Locker nearby, inside the mall that closes at 6pm. I went out to run some errands and arrived at the mall around 3:30pm, but hadn't gotten the delivery notification yet. I hung out in the entertainment center inside the mall near the locker and waited and waited and waited. Finally, at 6:15pm, a red car pulls up to the door and a lady gets out with an Amazon package. I get excited only to find out that it's not my package. The lady had no clue how to operate the locker system and can't figure out how to open the locker, calls support, gets frustrated, and eventually ends up leaving with the other guy's package when she can't get in. Now (10:15pm) Amazon says my package is "running late". Ya think?

After all of that, the linear algebra homework that I intended to get done this weekend didn't get done and I'll have to do it during the school week (it's due Friday).

In brighter news, I have my first face-to-face interview for an internship at 4pm tomorrow afternoon. Had my suit dry-cleaned yesterday, went to a hair salon this afternoon for a haircut and shampoo, shaved tonight, and I'm getting ready to jump in the shower. I get out of class at 2:20pm tomorrow and will head back to my apartment, clean up, change into my suit, and head to the interview.

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Regarding broken dishwashers, I will never forget the time I went to my friend's place (strangely, to play some crib), only to be greeted by steamy windows and screams of "THIS IS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!". The house was actually her sister's rental and LOOONG story short, the dishwasher broke, would not turn off, was flooding the kitchen with hot water and she could not find the shut-off. She ended up having to bail the oncoming water with a bowl into the sink just to manage the flooding till I got there (because the water didn't stop even with the door open), even then with me doing the bailing she could not figure out how to stop it and the main water shut off was probably in the basement where another family lived and they were out. Eventually I guess the dishwashing cycle just completed and the water stopped. And then we just sat there and laughed and cried.

Anyways, yeah, whenever someone brings up dishwasher issues, I am immediately taken back to the most stressful, wet, hot, and steamy 45 minutes of my life.

Anyways. Good luck with the interview! Hopefully you get the internship!

As for me, I did drag my butt to the grocery store, however, I decided to venture to one of the different grocery stores and... meh? I ended up spending twice the amount I usually spend, yet only got half the stuff I needed. However, also wanted/needed some interesting new foods to try and I did find lots of new things that look to be both good and healthy. Overall, I don't think my normal grocery store will change, but it's somewhere to go when I just want something different.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Does anyone else hate Day Light Savings Time and generally just changing the clock? We're trying here to make Daylight Savings permanent (which IMO is a stupid idea given there is plenty of scientific evidence supporting that it's a stupid idea...). I mean, I barely have time for anything and now I'm losing one hour of doing something AND an hour of sleep. Who the hell thought this was a good idea in continuing in a modern world with electricity. :rolleyes:

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    While I'm looking forward to the interview, it's not exactly the type of work I want to be doing, so it's not likely to be my first choice if I get multiple offers. There is another company that I did a phone interview with a couple of weeks ago that I think would be a perfect fit, and I'm hoping I get a email back from them.

Daylight saving time is indeed stupid and I hate it. I slept until noon today because of the time change. I'd rather have permanent DST. If we must keep, can we at least reverse it? We already have plenty of daylight in the summer evenings and don't need an extra hour, but we could certainly use an extra hour in the evenings in the winter so that you actually have a chance to do stuff after work before it gets dark.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Fair enough. Looking back on it, I'm so glad I didn't get the job I interviewed for in the next town over a few months ago. My contract with the museum society in town technically ended last week, but they are getting me back on for 6 months right away to do some archival stuff, which is what I really want to do with my degree.

Yeah, we are looking to make DST permanent here as well which, I mean, it's better than changing an hour every 6 months but it's just dumb by modern standards. I actually didn't sleep in because I ended up being woken up, but I've still felt 'off' all day.

DarthIshtar, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    One of the traditional justifications for the return to regular time in the winter is so that school children do not have to walk and/or wait for the school bus in the morning in the dark. Going to permanent daylight savings time - which is generally a good idea - will require accommodations accordingly and that's a major reason for resistance to the idea.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    And the Northern Canadian is just scratching her head. I walked/waited for the bus in the dark both before and after school in the dark. Heck, since my high school had no windows, I could go weeks in the winter without seeing the sun. Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark, I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me.

Okay, I'm done now.

14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    What's the difference between a Northern Canadian and other Canadians? The Northern Canadian will laugh in the face of snow and darkness, but the minute 1cm of snow falls, a Canadian living near the coast can no longer drive, schools are closed and general panic arises.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I came home from work last night and promptly fell asleep and slept for twelve hours ( Monday is my day off thankfully). How can a one hour change of time screw up my sleep pattern so badly? On the up side, I was able to drive home while the sun was still up. When I work dayshift in the winter I usually drive to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Maintenance looked at the dishwasher this morning and found a bunch of debris clogging the drain. He vacuumed it out and said the seals look fine. I'll try it again in a few days.

Lady_Misty and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Daylight Savings is terrible.

Evan doesn’t like it when Nana sneezes; it startles him and he’s cried twice.

He’s still not sleeping through the night but he’s beginning to sleep for large chunks at a time. Naps are still short.

He’s eating Cheerios by himself, you should have seen the look on his face yesterday at church when a little girl a couple weeks older than him was taking four Cheerios for his two and taking them out of the palm of my hand faster than he could decide if he wanted to hold another Cheerio,she has two older siblings, it was hilarious!

So I have been told that it’s possible that the real reason my brother Ryan skipped out on my wedding reception isn’t because he mixed up the reception with the meet and greet dates despite being reminded days earlier and when told on the day that the reception was happening he said that he couldn’t come because he didn’t have the optional costume but because he was upset that TE and I were having a Star Wars and Star Trek Wedding seeing that he commented that if he got married it would be Star Wars all the way or nothing.

Bro, I love you but please don’t be childish. Marriage is about give and take and forcing a full Star Wars wedding on your girlfriend isn’t giving her a say in anything about the wedding which is also her day.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gizkaspice and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Interview yesterday was a mess. Interviewer was ten minutes late (she admitted that she got engrossed in something and lost track of time, so it's not like there was an important issue to deal with), very disorganized with her talking points and obviously completely unprepared. It's a very small company (<5 employees) taking on interns for the first time, and 90% of my work time would be spent in classrooms on my university campus with other interns from other companies working independently, with little contact with full-timers. She hyped up social events and field trips as part of the experience. There would be no experience with an actual workplace setting, and I'm in this for resume experience, not fun trips. So it will be a last resort only

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like all that great of an internship, JC. :( It's really frustrating that she was late and disorganized because if that had been you, it would have been over. I mean, everyone has a bad day, but that would make me wonder what the workplace is like.

Because of Covid-19 at least two of the major hospitals in NYC have completely stopped allowing vendors (which is what they classify me as even though I'm an educator). Which is fair, they don't need extra people traipsing around the hospital. I may end up with a work from home job (temporarily) before this is all over.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    COVID-19 has struck Ohio as well. Almost as soon as the first three Ohio cases were confirmed in the Cleveland area, Ohio State University announced last night they were shutting down all face-to-face classes and transitioning all classes to online through the end of March. That led to a domino effect this morning of other colleges doing the same, which was accelerated in the afternoon by an official recommendation from Governor DeWine, and by now (11pm, about 24 hours after Ohio State made their announcement, almost every college in Ohio has shut down face-to-face classes for the rest of March.

Wright State (my school) sent out the official notification at 5:13pm today that effective midnight tonight, all classes are cancelled for the rest of this week and will resume on Monday via online channels only through at least March 30. I was sitting in my 5:00 class when a student saw the email and said something about it, and the instructor spent the next 10 or 15 minutes discussing how we would proceed. A lot of students didn't read the "effective midnight tonight" part apparently, so only about one-third of the students showed up for my 6:30 class and the professor just opted to cancel the class.

I'm waiting for communication from my professors as to how online classes will be approached. The professor in my afternoon class today (before the announcement but after the rumor had spread) openly discussed what would happen, so I have a good idea as to how that would go. My 5:00 class is done with lectures and solely in final project mode the rest of the semester, so we just have to do the mandatory progress checks online somehow (and hope that in-person classes resume before presentation week). The 6:30 class is a wildcard because the professor is an adjunct teaching for the first time and is visibly struggling; he admitted before dismissing us today that he's going to seek help from another professor and said that if online works out better for him we may stick with that even if the school resumes regular classes. The other class is linear algebra, which is not suited to online at all, particularly the weekly quizzes (how am I supposed to type six matrices into a text box as I show my work on row operations?). The professor for that sent an email today confirming the class cancellation for this week but admitted he's not sure how the class can be adapted for online but that he will find a way.

But until then, I have three unexpected days off. I may take off Thursday and go car shopping. I'm planning to upgrade my car soon and Kia has a good bonus cash deal for leases this month on the car I'm looking at. I was going to go Saturday but Thursday is supposed to be much warmer here.

Lady_Misty and mavjade like this.
  21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    The start of Utah Covid-19 problems is, predictably, that the index case for the state went to a BYU basketball game without knowing he was sick. So they’ve contacted everyone sitting in the 6 rows around him at the Marriott Center.

My company doesn’t have work from home and has said “don’t worry, if you get symptoms, you can take time off and we might not take disciplinary action for all your absences.” I’m in this podunk place where the prevailing opinion is that the Mexicans infected Chinese tourists to mask the fact that illegal immigrants started the pandemic. And that the death toll is because kids are vaccinated and if we would stop coddling kids and let them get diseases the way they’re meant to, we would survive the Mexican pandemic.

I wish I were kidding about this nonsense. But nope. We would be fine with this fake Chinese virus if kids were allowed to catch polio and measles. I miss living in places where everything wasn’t considered a conspiracy by the farners and liberals.

I got a migraine on Friday during a concert. By Sunday, I was so sound-sensitive that I literally finished playing the organ for the choir, grabbed my purse, and ran to be sick in the bathroom. I slept 12 hours straight. My head’s starting to feel better, but my sleep is all out of wack and I just want to stay home for one day to reset my body.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh.. I've worked places like that and it's awful. Especially with this where if you do get it, you have to be away from for at least two weeks. Thankfully I think my current job would be very understanding.

I'm glad you are feeling better, I know how miserable that is.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This is escalating fast. President Trump has banned all travel into the United States from Europe for 30 days, and the NBA has suspended the entire season after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the virus. Major conferences like E3 have been canceled. And Tom Hanks and his wife are quarantined in Australia after both tested positive for the virus.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    For the first time, my church’s major conference that happens every 6 months will be done entirely by broadcast. They just announced it today. They’ve postponed in 1919 and canceled in 1957. But now we have the tech for remote broadcast. As someone who worked for two years handling one of the overflow sites from the auditorium, I’m curious what that weekend will look like on temple square. We had 6000 additional visitors a year ago because everyone was trying to find a place to watch it on TV.

I’ve been planning a trip for 8 years to go back to Ireland, but I’ve let everyone coming know that we will be monitoring the situation until we have to make a decision in August. My backup is spending my 40th birthday/Thanksgiving Day (the same day this year) with my best friend back in Boston and postponing Ireland until things improve worldwide.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So the Amazon package I was waiting for on Sunday, along with another Amazon package, are now both listed as "undeliverable". How hard is it to deliver four bed feet and an oven mitt?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Lady_Misty likes this.