main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I don't mean to be an old curmudgeon who blames all the problems on the stupid younger generation, because I know there are idiots of all ages, but damn, all the "generation Z-ers" I know aren't taking this pandemic seriously. And I know we've established this before, I am one of those people born on the cusp of being a 'zoomer', but I am a "Millennial", and we've also talked about circumstances and how broad of a brush painting people by their generation can be. But I just want to rant about dumb younger people.

One of my brothers is currently on a road trip with his girlfriend "because there's nothing else to do". So they are constantly at gas stations and staying in motels.

I also got a text from a friend of mine (who's a few years younger). At the beginning of all this she decided to go into isolation with her boyfriend (in a neighbouring city), but now she's 'bored' with him so she decided to get a ride back here with her roommate (who was with her family). She asked me if I wanted to hang out because she insisted "its fine" because the only people she's been around for two weeks are her boyfriend, her boyfriend's brother, her boyfriend's roommate, and her roommate and none of them are sick. I'm like, THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!

I'm basically a combination of three gifs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I watched this episode of the Office last night, so I might be more of the last one).

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    People like that ought to take a long walk off a short pier.

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm a millennial, too, and true that most Gen Z-ers are not taking this seriously, but it's definitely not just Generation Z that are idiots, as suggested by this article from Time.

The problem I'm seeing is that most people lack the basic scientific knowledge of understanding how a virus operates or the basis of how anything even remotely disease-related works and that you can be asymptomatic and transmit it to people is something people don't take seriously. The fact we are teaching people in this day and age how to properly wash their hands and not throw their potentially COVID-19 contaminated gloves/masks around the streets and into shopping carts worries me.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, yeah. I mean, I did say there are idiots of every age. My 77-year-old grandfather is still working. Not because he needs to, but because he wants to (granted he does construction and is helping my uncle build a house so it could be worse - but he's going home to his wife who we were pretty sure was going to die before new years :rolleyes:).

However, it does seem like - for the most part - humans are generally being awesome right now, which is nice.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    For the person who told me where to find a sumup of Tiger King, I’ll do you one better.

I have a friend who works as a 9-1-1 dispatcher and was sent for testing because she had very alarming symptoms. Today, she got back the negative test results, which is a relief as she has a history of things that are harmful to her health and make her more at-risk.

Around here, bored teenagers are getting together in groups of 6-20 to be jerks on people’s front porches and commit petty crimes. Their parents must be so proud.

Meanwhile, I have injured my back and am in quite a lot of pain, but can’t get treated. 800 mg of ibuprofen isn’t working at all.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    The family next door is behaving like idiots. No social distancing at all. Visits from grandma and granddad who has leukaemia and from her and his family. And mom is teaching her 3 and 4 year old kids all day with the whole neighbourhood as utterly bored listeners. That's lousy too when the 4 year old daughter cannot stop talking at all.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s like the friend whose pregnant daughter-in-law and her immune compromised husband are both refusing to social distance.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, there are certainly a lot of idiots out there. The people who are driving me nuts here are the joggers and bikers. Most of them aren't wearing masks (as was 'recommended' by the city and the Center for Disease Control) but a lot of them don't deviate from their course at all to avoid people. I only go out to walk the dog and more than a few times I've been against a wall, unable to move over any more and a jogger comes by me, breathing hard, without a mask, and they could have moved waaay over. :mad:
    I mean, I have a mask on (homemade), but still....

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm buying a small couch from a friend. He's moving Monday and can't take it with him, so his brother (also a friend) is going to deliver it to me tomorrow afternoon. It's the perfect size for my apartment and will hopefully help make it feel a little cozier and more like home. I haven't made a major change to the setup of the room since a week after I moved in.

AzureAngel2 and DarthIshtar like this.
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I now have a new nephew. My dad called me on Wednesday to say my sister was in the hospital and in labor. My sister told me she was at home and not planning on going to the hospital... yeah. 3 hours later, picture of baby. That’s a story for the books. Still waiting on a name because she takes progressively longer to decide on one with each kid and she’s on her 6th. Last time, it was a month before she said yes to Sarah, though she claims she decided on that on day 1. (On day 1, they were thinking of Joanna.)

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Michigan's governor has really put us citizens in a time out. She is telling stores to not sell non-essential items. So, if I go to Costco to get food I can't purchase that hairdryer I needed. I am stuck at home, but I can't garden because I can't purchase any plants. I can't go visit my sons. But I can go to work with patients in the hospital, even after multiple high risk COVID-19 exposures. I just need to take my temperature twice a day and email the results to Employee Health.

Our governor has reassured us, "I am not going to invoke Martial Law." That is reassuring. :rolleyes:

I guess we brought this on ourselves. Since we had shelter in place orders with exceptions people were abusing those exceptions. People had cabin fever and would go to stores just to get out of the house. They would spend hours walking up and down aisles buying anything and everything. I just hope she doesn't ban the purchase of alcohol. I don't drink but I don't like the idea of the hospital getting filled up with people with withdraws.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My province is apparently doing a decent job flattening the curve, so while we are still yelling at some to just stay at home, there's no talks of increased measures yet.

But my sister's boyfriend did some grocery shopping for me, which was really nice! He also went to the liquor store for me. I don't drink much, but it's nice now to have the option. I'm now part of a 'socially distanced' book club and tonight is our first meeting (I didn't finish the book because it was too damn depressing, but I'm going to join in to see some friendly faces). Others are talking about drinking wine while we talk and it will be nice to pour myself a rum and coke.

I'm trying to limit how many times I leave my condo - yesterday I went out to take all the garbage and recycling out but I think I have to do it again today. I made some kale slaw the other night and after eating the leftovers for a bit finally threw out the little bit that was left. I don't think I can handle the stench [face_sick]

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I found out the big box stores can ship nonessential items. So I ordered flowers. [face_party]

14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm mad. I ordered Red Lobster from GrubHub because I wanted their Cheddar Bay Biscuits that I've been craving for a month. I ordered a dozen biscuits and added a shrimp meal to cover the minimum order. All I received was the shrimp meal and the two (2) biscuits that come with the meal by default. I did not get the dozen extra biscuits.

I got on the app to report it and all it did was give me a refund. I don't want a refund. I WANT MY FREAKING BISCUITS!!!! I don't even want the shrimp meal without the biscuits. The biscuits were the sole reason I ordered from Red Lobster in the first place.

That was my first time ordering from a food delivery app and it might be the last.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    God dammit. Now I want Cheddar Bay Biscuits. We don't have a Red Lobster anywhere near here, but you can buy the mix in the grocery store, so I am totally adding it to my next delivery (it's not the same, but they are close).

Also, that is a tragedy. I am so sorry.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Tragedy is the word I was looking for. Thank you.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nobody delivers food where I live. :( Our governor now says we can't use a jet ski, but we can paddle board. She extended the stay at home order to the end of the month.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So speaking of tragedy (and not the jet ski thing).... So I'm building the LEGO Hogwarts castle and fan of the franchise or not, its a really pretty build and a great way to spend a couple hours every day not looking at a screen. Now, I have limited hand function which always makes life... interesting (so, yes, stuff like building LEGO takes me longer but in this current crisis of boredom, is that really a terrible thing?) but I just kinda roll with it (and I use tweezers and tape loops around my fingers for the really finicky bits). But today, I was doing a fairly simple step, and a piece from a fairly early step falls off. And in the process of fixing that, most of the Great Hall (50% of the build thus far) breaks off.

[​IMG]

I know the best thing to do is just leave it for today and come back tomorrow when I'm less tired and shaky, but I JUST WANNA FIX IT NOOOOWWWWW before I forget where everything goes.

Edit: I fixed it while I was in a Zoom meeting but I fixed it wrong. GAH.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  19. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Sorry to hear that @jcgoble3. That food delivery service must be either unreliable or.......the toilet paper hoarders are now going after the Cheddar Bay Biscuits and that's why there's a limit of two! [face_thinking]:eek: Noo!

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Is this a bad time to mention that my roommate made cheddar bay biscuits last weekend? :)

I know that frustration. I had ordered a burger and fries because I was having problems with my anemia and all I had at home were tater tots and hot dogs. I got three hot dogs and tater tots delivered instead and only got a partial refund when I complained.

21. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I've been to Easter Holidays, albeit less than 30 minutes drive from home, but still... A co-worker and I had an old agreement about doing an overnight stay in the forest with our hammocks. The intention was doing it in the fall but then the weather put a stop to it. Now the weather forecast was good so we grabbed our hammocks, bug nets and sleeping bags and set off.

Unfortunately the weather forecast had been lying to us [face_tee_hee] so just as we had hung up our beds for the night (with the prescribed 3-4 meters between us of course) and wriggled into the sleeping bags - there came the rain. Not heavy rain, but still a bit of a "Nooooo" moment. And the wind was definitely more than the 3 m/s we thought we would have.

But - we stayed, and about midninght the rain stopped. I admit, I didn't get a full night's sleep, but on the other hand, laying there, warm and cozy and gazing up in the treetops under a nearly full moon was almost magical. As was the sunrise. I slept some hours in the morning but woke up early enough to see the sunrise.

We stayed in the hammocks for about half an hour before we got up, had a cup of morning tea (I brought primus and she had a bottle of water...) and packed our stuff. Original plan was a quick breakfast as well but it was still windy so we decided a rather hasty retreat.

And we totally agreed that we could repeat this later on when we're allowed to travel a bit further.

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I got my Cheddar Bay Biscuits! I drove to Red Lobster and got them myself. No more delivery services for me.

Bad news: I seem to have a missing and/or incompetent professor. One of my professors, who is an adjunct teaching for the first time, hasn't been heard from this week. We were supposed to receive a homework assignment Tuesday of this week and another one Thursday, and then get a take-home exam next week. I haven't heard from him since Monday and neither homework assignment was ever posted.

Also, the sum total of his teaching since classes went online in mid-March is two review videos. We haven't learned anything new since before spring break, and there's an entire large chapter of the text that we're supposed to be taught that he hasn't covered yet with only two weeks plus final exam week remaining in the semester. Only 70 homework points have been assigned so far, and we're supposed to get 130 more points (200 total), another exam (the take-home), and the final. So only 32% of the final grade has been offered at this point.

If I don't hear anything by Monday night (he works a 9-5 day job that involves classified material, so he can't communicate while at that job), I'm contacting the department chair Tuesday morning.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s incredibly inept. I’d personally email the teacher and let them know what you’re planning on doing and why so you can’t say you haven’t tried to resolve this directly.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The case of the missing professor has been solved. He finally appeared on the computer science department's Discord server tonight and apologized. Apparently he's been sick with a severe stomach bug for a while so much that he slept through the day a few times in the past week. He has a plan to finish the semester on time, and said that the chapter of the text we haven't covered is basically the same as the previous chapter that we have covered, with only slight differences for a different type of logic (propositional vs. predicate). So he only has to cover the differences between the two, which can be done fairly quickly.

Hopefully this works out and nothing bad happens.

mavjade , Gamiel, DarthIshtar and 2 others like this.
  25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh thank goodness. Glad it’s on track to being resolved.

My brother-in-law had to take my 5-day-old nephew in for standard tests today and since I’m in the same city as the hospital, he called and checked if I was at home. I put on my mask and stood on the running board to meet the little guy, who he swears is getting a name tomorrow. I don’t believe it as the aunt who waited a MONTH for the name last time. I think my sister enjoys the attention of the suspense.