main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Star Trek!

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah watched Star Trek. When I told my son that he was shocked. I guess he thought if you were a Star Wars fan you could never watch Star Trek.

So, a family member of my husband's who has been traveling around the country in an RV since last summer asked to come and stay at our house for a few weeks until the campgrounds finally open up in June. Ugh. :rolleyes:

I told my husband I would rather pay for a hotel room for his family member. Hell, I work in a hospital!

SHELTER IN PLACE!

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Greetings from Norway.

As everyone else we have May 17th today, and unlike everyone else (I think) it's also our National Day. Thanks to the Covid it's severely changed. Where normally childrens parade take place while proud parents are ringside the streets, it's now extremely quiet. I have so far seen 1 person outside today.

But we do our best. In my "birth town" musicians are parading the streets, people stay at home in family groups hoping that the musicians will pass by. In my present hometown the celebration has been centralised to schools and other arenas and musicians are performing and the web version of the local newspaper is sending all arrangements throughout the day.

We're not giving in, we're adapting.=D=

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Eldest kidlet was watching an interview with Jim Henson today and he had one of his muppets. Kidlet was like "whose that" and I'm like "that's Jim Henson" and he went, "No, not that guy, that guy" and pointed to the muppet. Ahh, the power of puppetry which means that the puppet is as real as the man who is controlling it. It was so beautiful as he almost wouldn't believe it was a muppet, even when I pointed out it had no legs!

Also sending out virtual hugs and pavlova to all those overseas dealing with this. Australia has been stupidly lucky (for now).

Also @Jedi_Lover it's not sci-fi but have you seen the Amazon version of Good Omens?

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    @Kit' I loved Good Omens! That was an awesome bromance.

Kit' and AzureAngel2 like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fixed it four you :p

(The lame joke is that 1888 was part of what the Norwegians and Swedes call the Oskariansk era (1872–1907), after their united king (until Norway decided to leave the union) Oscar II)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Aha! I did not know that. I was basing it on my knowledge of the era. Thanks for the correction. (There are a lot of little cultural things that I am learning along with the beforeigners about modern Norway. Part of why I like it.)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Beforeigners sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my growing list of "to watch next", though I'm notoriously bad at paying attention to shows in English. Subtitled shows are pretty much reserved for when I'm injured in bed and can't do anything else.

I currently need to think of SOMETHING ELSE to do. Like, my various activities (writing, video games, lego, sewing... though I messed up my sewing project this afternoon and now have to rip out a bunch of seams so I don't even wanna look at it I'm so mad) are keeping me occupied, but I just need SOMETHING new to break up the monotony. It also doesn't help that it's absolutely miserable here. Just rainy and gross. I still might go for a walk after dinner. Then maybe try to watch the Expanse again and try not to do anything else.

9. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Don’t really watch drama TV Shows; instead I watch lots of HGTV, Food Network, Animal Planet and a few other channels.

Went on a hike this afternoon with Dany. Originally Chibi and Evan were going to join us but Chibi didn’t want to come and seeing that it was nap time for Evan and concerns about ticks he stayed home.

I learned that unsurprisingly I am more out of shape than I thought climbing a hill with lots of rocks and tree roots. I considered returning to the car early on as I struggled at first and at one point wondered how many times Dany could have reached the summit before I did like Legolas does in LotR and later shared it with her during a break. She got a kick out of it and reassured me that slowing down so I could keep up helped her not move too fast and make her Springtime allergies worse.

There were a couple downed trees that we had to bend under which made me grateful that I left Evan with his Dad and Nana and going down would have been tricky carrying him either on mine or Dany’s back as there were times that the rocks could have led us spraining or twisting an ankle and near the end my left knee was threatening to do something unpleasant and no doubt painful.

We did see something that if we lived in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would have been a Koruk Kid’s hiding spot.

I’d share but right now it’s being finicky and not showing up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Haha, no. He has been a victim of misinformation. You can totally be a fan of both. Actually, I made up a word for a person who is a fan of both. The word is Twarkkie, a portmanteau of Trekkie and Warsie. I did consider having the word be Twarkker (Trekker and Warsie), but I decided against it because it sounded too close to twerker.

DarthIshtar and Lady_Misty like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had a friend give up Star Wars because she discovered Tolkien and couldn’t like more than one thing at a time. I took some very classic comics and books off her hands.

My roommate has been biking for four months and I decided that I’d like to take that up again. So I went all over stores with proper social distancing and disinfectant procedures and found a really just pretty bike with great gear options and a seat to handlebars distance and angle that was perfect for me. I test-rode it before buying it.

Incident 1: I got on that bike on Saturday. The seat had been raised by two inches and while I rode 4.6 miles, I was in pretty severe pain because of not being able to fully reach the pedals and taking more weight on my wrists. I took it to my friend, who had the right wrench, and he fixed the problem.

Incident 2: Monday morning, my roommate invited me on another bike ride. We did the same path (my work commute in both directions) and it was so much less painful and I was able to cut my time by 6 minutes because of having better control of my bike. 2 blocks from home, we had to swerve into a driveway at a gas station. I have terrible depth perception and swerved before I could do so safely. I found myself on the ground and two guys in a truck panicking because they had seen me crash nearly underneath their rear wheels. I got up, had skinned my knee under my leggings. But what freaked me out was that when I landed on my right elbow, my entire arm went completely numb. I limped home while trying to feel anything between my shoulder and fingertips. My roommate carried my bike up the back steps for me and later doctored my swollen and bleeding knee and brought me Gatorade to help with my electrolyte problem that I was having. But she left me at home for a while to finish her ride and the jarring of crashing and the pain and the electrolytes thing made me have a bad panic attack. I couldn’t take another dosage of my medicine until the next day, so I tried my normal approach to feeling better: I sat at my piano and played the Beethoven sonata that’s been my trademark since 12th grade. Because of the numbness, I couldn’t get my muscle memory to work. I eventually got feeling in the lower half of my arm and it hurt to play this silly song called The Clown, but it felt so relieving that my arm hurt and my fingers could feel when I had them in the wrong positions. So I’m telling this story at 2 a.m. because now my whole arm has feeling back and it hurts and now I can’t sleep. It’s just bruised and scraped, but I’m very grateful that said roommate helped me move all of my work equipment halfway across the living room so I can work from the couch with a recliner and a footrest and pillows tomorrow.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Ugh! That sucks @DarthIshtar! I hope by tomorrow (or this?) morning your arm and shoulder are feeling better. Could you have maybe pinched a nerve in the fall? Hate falling off a bike - have some lovely scars on my legs from the experience.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Like Bri, my sewing project has also ended in needing to rip out a bunch of seams. I made shorts, got through to the last step, putting the elastic in the waist band when I realized they are too big. I can tighten the elastic to make them fit, that's not a problem, but they look too big. I'm not experienced enough of a sewer to know exactly how to take them in without taking them fully apart. I thought I figured out a way, but I don't think it's going to work. Youtube, here I come.

I watch a lot of that as well, it's usually on in the back ground while I'm doing other things. Mostly Food Network, my husband and I watched Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay the most, but recently Guys Grocery Games has been playing non-stop, so we've been watching that as well. I really like watching House Hunters but it makes me laugh because people are like "I was 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a finished basement, an attached garage, a pool, a giant backyard, brand new kitchen and bath, and a view. Our budget is $50,000." - Okay that might be exaggerating a bit, but sometimes they are preposterous.

I love watching House Hunters International to see what we could afford in other countries. :p

Um... what? Seriously? I find that... sad. I mean, when I get really into something I become pretty singularly focused for awhile, but it doesn't mean I can't like other things.
    I hope you are feeling better today, Ish. That sounds painful!

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    @mavjade it seems that MOST shows on HGTV the couple either looking for a new house in a certain, expensive area or looking to renovate want the moon for peanuts.

mavjade likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I hope she doesn't have more than one child.

Star Wars is my favorite fandom, but I also love Dune and have all the books...which are now a lot since Herbert's son continued where his father left off. Still, all the Dune books only take up one shelf, whereas my Star Wars Collection takes up six shelves.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Lady_Misty and Kit' like this.
  16. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not really, was actually beginning to wonder about her

18. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch, Ish, I hope you get feeling better.

I wanna get back into cycling as well, unfortunately hand bikes are expensive. However, some new friends of mine discovered this company in China that sells e-bike attachments for wheelchairs that cost like 1/12 of the cost of what similar North American companies sell them for. All my friends love theirs (it's not really a replacement for a hand bike, but it does allow them to go on really long walks and moderate hikes and stuff) and so another friend wanted to get one and asked me if I wanted to order with him and split the shipping costs so I said sure. It probably won't be here till mid-June or later, but I'm excited!

I don't watch many of those Food Network/HGTV shows since I don't have cable, though I used to love them as background noise when I lived with my mom. We used to always watched Chopped! So relevant very recent (as in last night) story I was going to tell here anyway: Saturday evening I WAS SO BORED, like, seeing if there was ANY interesting food in the back of my cupboard to see if I could make SOME kind of interesting snack (there wasn't :( I ended up finding some crackers and having cheese with it). But it gave me the idea to ask some friends for some interesting/weird food recommendations so I could include them in my grocery order on Sunday. Which involved into an idea to do Chopped: quarantine edition.

I asked my friend on facebook to give me 4-5 ingredients and I was going to make a meal with them. I got: peppers, honey, rice noodles, mango, and bacon (which I subbed in facon because I'm vegetarian and that person didn't read my rules). I got the grocery order last night before I started making dinner (thankfully here we are down to only a 1-2 day wait for grocery delivery) so I made my CHOPPED meal. I did a stir-fry with a honey/mango/citrus sauce. IT WAS SO GOOD! I'm actually tempted to do the challenge again next week since it was so much fun! I posted it all to facebook with pics and people had fun following and seeing what I did!

I haven't watched House Hunters in years, but it's always seemed to be on airplane TVs, so I have spent several flights binge-watching it while playing dumb games on my phone.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    There is a local floristry company doing an introductory course this school holidays. Part of me really, really wants to do it. Part of me zealously guards my holidays as the only time I get to just relax. Oh what to do. Blurgh

DarthIshtar likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Well this sucks. Last December I got laryngitis and it lasted for months. I am also getting shortness of breath and it sometimes feels like my trachea is getting blocked when I sleep in certain positions. So I get a referral to get scoped to see if I have a hiatal hernia that might be causing reflux and injuring my vocal cords and also the shortness of breath.

But then COVID-19 happened and since this is obviously not life-and-death my procedure is pushed from March to April and eventually May. At the same time I get a referral to a Nose, Ear & Throat doctor. But since I am not in duress that appointment couldn't be made until this week when the governor allows my non-emergency procedures to occur.

The EGD scope happens first and I do have a hiatal hernia but it is not that bad. No surgery needed and I'm put on acid reducing medicine. Yesterday I got scoped to see my vocal cords and the doctor says, "I am not sure what I am seeing." He shows me and I say, "What the hell is that?" He says, "I don't know. It is the oddest thing I have ever seen."

So...I got some weird mass growing in my larynx that is interfering with my breathing and talking. I need to have surgery and a biopsy to see if it is cancer.

I really wish I could have had this looked at in March before it grew as big as it did... but no...I needed to get sick during a pandemic. :mad:

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sad to hear Jedi_Lover

Lady_Misty and Jedi_Lover like this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Well, that just stinking sucks @Jedi_Lover . I hope its nothing serious.

Lady_Misty and Jedi_Lover like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.