main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    THIS! So often I feel like I'm up the creek without a paddle. I can name several things this summer that would have been done much quicker if I could just poke my head in and ask someone a quick question.

amidalachick, gizkaspice and Kahara like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I hear you! Part of my job is writing descriptions of objects I only have 200x200 pixel images of. Some of the objects I've seen before but others I haven't. Its frustrating. I can email whoever is in storage that day (only one person can work in there a day due to the covid restrictions) to take more pics on their phones and send them to me, but its not the same as being able to see it in person.

BUT THE MOST FRUSTRATING THING IS I'M ACTUALLY NOT DOING WHAT I WAS HIRED TO DO! I'm supposed to be working on putting all of their data (accession info) onto the Canadian Heritage Information Network... but no one can access the network right now due to covid, which makes ZERO sense since it's a network so you would think, all things museum related, people would be able to work on it from home but NOOOOOO. (I'm miffed, my boss is miffed and my boss' boss is miffed).

So right now they have me creating an online exhibit based on their permanent galleries. Which is fun because I'm basically creating my own mini exhibit. But at the same time, online exhibits are not my area of expertise so it's been a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  3. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm laughing right now because the acronym is CHIN. You're supposed to put the data on the CHIN. I don't know why, but that's hilarious to me.

amidalachick, gizkaspice and Kahara like this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I feel ya jcgoble on not usually doing work at home. I'd finally found my groove with my job and doing the needed paperwork right before everything shut down. After I'd go to an appointment I stop at a coffee shop, a restaurant, or probably the library -though I'd not done that yet- and do that day's paper work and anything else I needed to get done, that way I'd be less likely to say I'll do it later. Now that I can't do that, I keep putting it off and now it's piled up which makes it harder to want to get started. I love how laissez-faire my boss is, but I generally need deadline to actually get things done.

amidalachick, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm finding it not too bad working from home, most days. But like when I was doing my MA from home, somedays I just CAN NOT concentrate (or I just feel whatever it is needs to get done) and would love to just be able to go to a coffee shop or the library. Friday was definitely one of those days... actually pretty much all last week was. My boss is pretty relaxed but feel like I can't do my best work right now and that sucks.

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Updating my resume to apply for a new, higher position. Terrifying as realistically I don't have the experience to get the job but also definitely good for reminding myself of what I've achieved and what I see as 'normal' is actually worthy of being included on a resume.

However, having my head stuck in the resume writing game is really not good for plot bunnies. I don't think that any of my OC characters need to ever explain how they have hit any KPIs. 8-}:p

Kahara, jcgoble3 and amidalachick like this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Good luck! I need to update my resume to add my internship.

Kahara likes this.
  8. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @Kit' I totally understand that mix of terror and 'oh wow, I really did this stuff'! It's always scary stepping outside a comfort zone but it's definitely worth trying. Best of luck with your application! :)

And you never know where the plot bunnies may lead. [face_mischief]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks @jcgoble3 and @amidalachick :) I figure that if nothing ventured then there is nothing gained.

Ooo! A short series of stories where various Jedi have to go through performance management meetings and justify a whole bunch of rather dodgy behaviour. [face_rofl]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Kahara, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Best of luck on the application! It can be really scary, but there's nothing to lose!

Back on the topic of working from home, UGH. I feel like the past two days I got nothing done (which isn't true, but it feels like it). Yesterday they were testing the smoke detectors in EVERY SINGLE SUITE so it was JUUUSST a little hard to concentrate, and unfortunately I had to stay home and be listening for the door to let them in (after they finished my suite I debated finding a park with a picnic table to work at, but I guess I was one of the last to be tested because I only heard it a few times after).

Then today, IDK, I just wasn't able to concentrate (it's damn hot here, and my foot kinda hurts so I'm was working on my couch so I could have it propped up, and working from my couch which is never good for concentration). Plus my boss is on vacation till Tuesday so, IDK, I don't feel motivated even though I should be.

I was supposed to meet up with a friend right after work since our electric attachments for our wheelchairs got delivered! (we ordered together to save on shipping so they were sent to his place). I'm super excited; we ordered back in April, was told about 6 weeks... and they just got delivered earlier this week. I was all ready to roll out of here right when I finished work... then he messaged me and asked if we could do it later tonight. Ugh. So now I'm waiting kinda pondering if I should start making dinner or not.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Good luck with the application @Kit'! Sometimes we feel like we don't have the experience, but they think you do! But as you said, there's nothing gained if you don't give it the shot! And even if you don't get it, they will probably look at it as a good thing that you are looking to move up and they might help you make other moves. But ugh, on updating the resume. I hate doing that.

It's been really hot here as well, Bri. It kinda gross to go outside at all. But yay for getting your attachments!!

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    About experience: I don't have the link handy, but some tech company recently posted a job description requiring 4 years of experience in (some programming thing). Someone tweeted about it and said, "Too bad I can't apply for this job, since I only have 1.5 years of experience with the thing since I invented it!" It kind of blew up in tech circles, and a lot of people, especially software developers like me, had a good laugh.

TL;DR company demanded 4 years experience with a thing that was less than 2 years old and the creator of that thing called them out on it.

Anyway, the ensuing discussions over that tweet brought up a good point: requirements in job descriptions, and especially experience requirements, are nothing more than wishlists. And HR often translates desired skill levels to a certain number of years of experience, when experience and skill are two different things. So be willing to apply for jobs that you lack the required experience in, because again, that's just a wishlist.

Kahara, gizkaspice and Kit' like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I saw that tweet in some thread and it made me laugh so hard. Like I can totally see someone in HR having no idea what they actually want, and I've seen other job descriptions that are equally ridiculous, like "Entry Level position, must have 5 years experience" :rolleyes:

Random side rant while I wait for a message so I can go pick this thing up, but why do I hang out with people with like NOOOO concept of time? Like unless something has gone massively wrong, I'm usually fairly on time and when I do have to reschedule I can give people a decent estimate as to when to expect me. Is this just me? Pretty much everyone else I have ever hung out with is always like 3+ hours off. I totally get when things go awry, but just let me know.

I'm also the type of person who hates getting into the middle of something (movie, TV show, sewing session, writing, cooking or eating a meal) only to be called away in the middle of it, so I'll often just kill time watching youtube videos or surfing online which is a complete waste of time. Ugh. I need to learn to just start something and just leave it when people finally tell me they are ready.

14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks, I needed a big reminder of this. I'm always so intimidated by job postings, but was also told a lot of these requirements are wishlists and I doubt such perfect candidates, who have every single requirement, even exist. In fact, you should go for a job if you have at least 60% of the qualifications so that's reassuring for sure.

Kahara, Briannakin and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. It's nearly 10PM and my friend still hasn't messaged me. Part of me thinks I probably should have texted him and reminded him but I HATE doing that (ugh, social anxiety), and its not like I need it tonight. But he is from a few towns over and came into the city to hang out with some fellow friends (they were going for a hike with these attachments they all have, but I unfortunately had to work. They were going to be back around 4 so I was going to meet up with them, then I got the "we aren't back to civilization yet, can we meet later tonight" text). So l I kinda don't want him to leave before I can grab it tonight, but I'm also just such an old lady, I hate leaving the house after 9PM. I mean, I can crawl back home at all hours of the night, but I have to already be out. Maybe I'll get him to leave it at another friend's place.

And yeah, I know I'm just complaining and ranting about nothing, but I HHHAAAAAAATTTTTEEEE just waiting around for someone. UGH.

Kit' likes this.
  16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Wow. I cannot stand it when people are late. I was taught by my mother that 15 minutes early is on time and on time is late. I would be blowing up his phone. My social anxiety comes from not knowing when. Give me a schedule and I can handle it IF YOU STICK TO IT.

If it were me, I'd pick different friends.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. IDK. I hate it when people are late (or seemingly all-out cancel plans with no good reason, but I also know, as a fellow physical disabled person, poo can really hit the fan). I just like to be on time (because being too early can annoy people too). My social anxiety comes from 'bugging' people so I'm like the last person to blow up a person's phone. BUUUUTT it does lead to me sometimes just being completely forgotten about (hello middle child syndrome) and me becoming really annoyed when I'm left just waiting... and waiting... and waiting ALL EVENING.

Thankfully most of the time we all meet in a group setting or for like organized sports or something (which we haven't done for awhile thanks to covid) so this is the first time I've like a one on one meet up I've had to do (with the exemption of two other girls I sometimes meet up with) and now I know for the future.

However, it is also very possible there are a bunch of wheelchair users currently lost in the woods (if that's the case, they have girlfriends who can report them missing).

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Text him. Now. You deserve to know what's going on.

Don't think you can handle it? I'm challenging you to do it. ;)

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Pfft, you cant make me do anything. I'll do it in the morning (not like I'm going to meet up with him tonight). I should have messaged him (again) earlier. I know he sometimes stays in town overnight with a mutual friend (who tends to be more reliable) so it's very possible I'll just meet up with him (or said other friend) tomorrow.

But yes, I need to learn a better balance between being laid back/not wanting to bother people, and having people respect me/my time.

Edit: Got a reply from him!!! And my comments about getting lost in the woods wasn't too far from the truth. Instead it was a flat wheelchair tire in the middle of the woods :oops:I'm not surprised. I'll just get the thing tomorrow (and he was very apologetic).

Kit' and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I was about to ask if you’d gotten your attachments [mention]Briannakin [/mention], but then I saw your update. Also the flat tire in the middle of the woods sounds like the premise of a horror movie. Glad it’s all sorted though.

Toddler has so far this weekend managed to
    - fall off the couch while climbing = teeth through lip, bruise up one side of his face
    - fall while pushing a giant floor puzzle around on the wood floor (so no traction) = landed on his face and a bloody nose
    - donk heads with his older brother = another bruise plus two lots of tears

So now we have a kid who looks like he’s gone 10 rounds in a boxing ring.

Gamiel and amidalachick like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ouch. But I remember my younger brothers at that age. Bruises were common (one of them legitimate looked like he had a third - very purple - eye for awhile).

I did indeed get my attachment after work yesterday. It's a lot of fun and I can see myself using it a lot. It's basically an ebike that attaches to the front of my wheelchair. It should be really great for hiking once it cools down a bit so I can go with my sister.

However, I am slightly annoyed, I was told there was going to be a 'ride around the city' this afternoon with some other people with these attachments today at 1. Now maybe this was my fault because I said I might go. But I was there at like 12:55 (and these people are notoriously late!) and I must have like JJJUUUUST missed them :rolleyes:. They were really apologetic when they finally saw my text but I'm not sad - I knew who was going and don't really hang out with the those guys and there was some guy coming who was from Alberta (the next province over, which is having some major COVID outbreaks). In retrospect maybe it wasn't my most responsible decision and it might have been a good thing I missed them.

ON A BETTER NOTE, I signed up for more kayaking sessions with some of my closer (mostly female) friends that start later in august. So unless COVID decides to ruin plans, that should be better planned and a lot more fun.

In other news, I really want to write but I swear this heat has just fried my muse,

amidalachick and Kit' like this.
  22. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    The attachment sounds really cool, and so does the kayaking! :)

Same! I'm a total summer person, I love the sun and the heat but the older I get, the more the humidity wipes me right out. Especially when it doesn't even feel that hot until you come home from work and go to change into clean clothes and realize how gross and sweaty you actually are. Add a heaping dose of anxiety on top of that and yep, there goes the muse. :p

23. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Oh, me too! This SoCal heat and I do not get along, at all!! 100+ several days in a row is just...ugh. [face_sick]

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I never did like summer much myself. IDK why - I don't hate it (I don't really hate any of the seasons, though Spring is probably my least favourite because of mud... though didn't really get to experience much of Spring where I'm living now this year and Summer too has been not what it should have been so I really cant judge the seasons in my new home based on this year). I don't mind the heat and I love the longer days (one thing I do miss about living in the far north is the 22 hour long days of relative light during the height of summer). There was just never much for me to do during the summer where I used to live so summer could get so boring... kinda like it is now.

Anyways, that was a long ramble but yeah, I like the sun and the heat but I think it makes me stupider, or at least makes me consume my mental and physical energy faster. Even though I'm working from home (and thank Gd because as I was driving today - granted I was in a location I've never been, kinda lost, and frustrated - I forgot to shoulder check, something I NEVER forget, but thankfully the person in my blind-spot honked at me but I still just feel so stupid), I swear my ~20 hours of work takes up all my mental and physical energy and I just don't have anything leftover to think up fanfic, let alone sit at my laptop for even MORE hours to write it.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Winter for me. I hate Australian summers as they are so humid that it’s perpetually gross. I do like the storms though, that’s about the only redeeming feature. Meanwhile winter here is clear, crisp days with cold nights but I got around in shorts and a shirt today because it’s so nice.

Watched Frozen II today with 6 year old. Turned to husband half way through and said
    “They’ve changed Kirsh’of’s look and I don’t like it”.
    “Don’t you mean Kristoff?”
    “Uh yeah..”

Thing is [mention]WarmNyota_SweetAyesha [/mention] and [mention]Cowgirl Jedi 1701 [/mention] have often teased me that USJS Kirsh is like Frozen’s Kristoff. I was suddenly worried I’d unintentionally based that character on the movies but Kirsh first appeared in USJS in 2009 and the first Frozen came out in 2013 so I’m good...phew