main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I like the alternate versions of Obi-Wan, especially "Senator Kenobi".

It reminds me of a tumblr post I saw on Pinterest that was like, "What if Padmé was the Jedi and Anakin was the senator, but with their same personalities?", And there were some examples of what that might be like.

I'd link to it, but I didn't save it, and now I can't find it.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think I've seen the Senator Anakin tumblr post. I tried searching for it too but I cant find anything.

So, I've been kinda wanting to start a new quilting project. I'm slowly working on my other one, but because each block is different, I can't "assembly line" it, so yeah, progress has been slow and I just want a sense of accomplishment - it's like taking a break from writing an epic to write a vignette. I realized I should probably make some sort of baby quilt for my quasi-step-sister (my mom has been dating her dad for 2 years now, but we've actually known each other since I was like 6 and she was 9), plus baby quilts are so much fun and so quick. BUT do you think I can find any sort of cute baby animal print? NOOOOOOO. Whenever I go fabric shopping there always seems to be cute baby/little kid fabric (which I never buy because I never have a reason to) but now I cant find anything. I've even looked online and it's pretty slim pickings.

AzureAngel2 and mavjade like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I hate that Bri, I've had something similar happen to me. You can never find it when you want it. I went to a Joann's Fabric the other day and it was soooo hard to not leave with all of the pretties. I was already buying around $100 worth of fabric and notions for a gift I'm making for dp (and thank goodness for coupons that brought it down to ~$60) for our anniversary. I finally talked myself out of buying anything else because I have fabric for several projects waiting and thought I should probably make those before getting more fabric. But it was so prettttyyyyy.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ah the temptation of pretty fabric. I've been there. Sometimes you gotta give in! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about this desire for a second quilting project. Sadly I don't think I'm going to find anything for a nice baby quilt.

Okay. Today was just one of those days where I did something dumb, I knew I probably shouldn’t have. But thankfully nothing bad happened and now I know never to do it again. I just need to type this out to “release” it from my brain.

So I signed up for series of 4 more adapted kayaking lessons. Unfortunately the organization isn’t exactly organized (but it’s all volunteers so you kinda cant expect much) and I’m lucky to get the location 48 hours in advanced (it’s more like 24). I knew the locations would be in a variety of places (which is nice to see more of the area). But I got the first location 2 days ago and looked up the drive time and it just was on the cusp of being too far for me to drive myself. It was 40 minutes away… according to google - my max is usually about 45 before my body needs a break but plus with kayaking for 3 hours… I was on the fence of asking my sister’s boyfriend to drive me but I just hate the idea of asking someone to go kill 3 hours while they wait for me. Anyways. It was more like an hour away. Yeah, it sucked. Anyway, kayaking was super fun but that drive back…. Gd I don’t think I have been that scared in awhile. Mentally I was (and still am) 100% awake, but my body was so physically tired. It was dumb of me (having a physical disability just sucks sometimes). Plus I thought there was going to be at least a little light left for me to drive home. Nope. And some of the speed limits! I don’t like to drive too slow because that can be a hazard too but kriff! Half the way was kinda on a back road (which was one of the reasons why I felt like I could do it) and the speed limit was 80 kmph (50 mph) ON A BACK WINDING ROAD. Thankfully it was super quiet on the way back so I was able to go kinda slow.

But, thankfully, I made it back okay and I know better than to do it again. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about the other three lessons since I don’t know the locations yet. I can ask my sister’s boyfriend to drive me but I figure at least one of them has to be in the city (I live in a city on a huge lake… there are a ton within 20 minutes). I just googled boat launches in the area and it seems like the one we were at today was one of the furthest away (without getting ridiculously far away).

But gah. I think I’m going to have a drink before going to bed, just to shut my brain off regarding how much worse it could have ended. But typing this out made me feel better. It was dumb, but nothing bad happened and I know not to do it again.

Edit: after sleeping on it I realized I was kinda freaking out for no reason. There were no "close calls" or anything like that. Still, it wasn't fun and I'm not going to drive that far in the dark ever again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    For the sixth day in a row it's hot here and with a lot of reckless tourists swimming in the North-sea currents (muien ) it's busy for the services

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Slightly hairy evening today. Getting ready for my last day on the job at my internship tomorrow and was preparing equipment to be turned in (wiping data and accounts and such). My work phone needed to be factory reset, but I had (with permission) installed a custom recovery and rooted it (I needed to to debug crashes in the app I was developing), which complicated the process.

Well, I accidentally wiped too much and ended up with a totally blank phone with no operating system at all, just the custom recovery. Then while trying to fix that, I got errors trying to re-flash the OS. After an hour and a half of searching and slow downloading, I finally found a solution that flashed the phone back to completely stock, even the stock recovery.

So disaster averted, as now the only difference between the phone as it sits and as it came out of the box is an unlocked bootloader.

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I am on my last day of vacation after a full week trekking around Montana (and parts of Wyoming) and not motivated at all to turn on my work computer at all tomorrow morning. I’ve just had such a restful time in nature and for writing done and didn’t feel ready to smack my head against the walls.

8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I was really hoping to get thru fire season without having to report on lightning-caused fires in the next county... I did not get out of this. Everyone is fine. Lightning-caused fires (and a lovely 4.0 quake in the mountains here that startled some people, thank you Mother Nature) in the county to our south... and, actually also in this one that people are being evacced for.

Kahara and DarthIshtar like this.
  9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Ugh, fire season is the worst. We aren't even in spring yet and we've already got major fires. We've also got our normal August winds but now they've whipped up a bunch of dust so the sky is this weird burnt orange.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, there's a crazy big fire threatening a town just south of here. We have been rather fortunate this summer because it was rather cold and wet, but that ended and the heat is back with vengeance.

I had a crazy insane week/weekend last week [I had that forced solo road trip to my kayaking on Monday; fell out of my car, bruised myself up, AND BROKE MY INSULIN PUMP on Tuesday (it still worked, thankfully but the company was like "that's kinda a sketchy crack... we'll send you a new one", which was great but I had to spend an evening setting the new one up), on Wednesday I was out with my friends on our motorized wheelchair bike attachment things FOR 8 HOURS (it was fun but good god 8 hours cruising down a bike trail is exhausting). Then on Thursday one of my best friends came to visit and stay with me for the weekend. Her sister recently moved here and she said she was coming, but she's probably the flakiest of flaky people so I didn't actually believe her till she was on the road driving. I spent my weekend hanging out with her whenever her sister ditched her. Which was so much fun but made me realize the issues of punctuality and changing plans I always had with this friend is definitely a family issue.

I was hoping this week was going to be quieter, but so far it hasn't been [a friend is having issues with her roommate so is abruptly moving to another city, I have a "field trip" for work (we are going to visit another museum and I'm not mad that I get paid to do so, but I have to drive to the next town over [face_bleh])]. I think I may turn off my phone and ignore humanity for the entire weekend.

On the PLUS side, I did find a dress for my brother's wedding. It's navy with tigers on it and I've bought navy Doc Martens to wear with it. Now I just need a matching face mask.

11. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Still working on my Imperial Coruscant series which I'm pretty excited for. I think I'm going to write it in prose instead, I did a little search on the forum and I can't find any writers that have written script on here in years so I'd probably do better sticking to prose.

More and more I'm noticing with Star Wars fan fic (I've yet to write one though) that more research is necessary than when I write Doctor Who fan fic. It's quite cool because it means I get to deepdive further into lore and expand my SW knowledge but it means that progress is slower.

Thinking of doing some one-shots in the meantime to get a feel for SW from a writer's perspective.

Kahara likes this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve been working on my first series since the sequel trilogy and the ditching of the Legends lore and working out what I want to keep and adapt from both sides of the divide has been a challenge. I have Garm Bel Iblis as a major character, but also have Cassian and K2-SO in the first fic.

Jedi Knight Fett, Kahara and BRE like this.
  13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I was digging through my memory box (the box I keep the cards that students gave me and stuff from high school) and came across my second fic on the boards (printed out) which I was so proud of but it's so terrible. I also came across a page I'd ripped out of a notebook which had the following poem written on it. To give the context - back in the early days of the boards there was lots of jokes about Masters eating padawans for dinner (their braid was to floss your teeth afterwards). I don't know who wrote it but I thought people might enjoy it...

Monday padawan is fairly tough
    Tuesday's padawan is tender enough
    Wednesday's padawan is good to fry
    Thursday's padawan is best in pie
    Friday's padawan makes a good meat roll
    Saturday's padawan is casserole
    But the padawan that's born on the Sabbath day,
    Is delicious when eaten in any way!

:D:p[face_laugh]

Edit: I found it!!!! It was @Jemmiah back in April 2000 as a comment to @light_sabe_r's fic The Worst Thing a Jedi could go through. There was also another rhyme by @JaneJinn about Qui-Gon. Apparently dreaming up how to cook Jedi was a thing... :p

Qui-Gon Dumpling
    Boil him in the pot!
    Butter him and sugar him
    and eat him while he's hot!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    earlybird-obi-wan and Gamiel like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I love the jemmiah chronicles and got to be in on the fun for a while.

Jedi Knight Fett and Kit' like this.
  15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yeah, it was so much fun. Lots of great and really interesting characters. Still IRL friends with a bunch of the authors from that.

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, my college campus has come back to life as freshmen started moving in on Thursday. Move-in continues through tomorrow for apartments. A lot of new policies and procedures in place for COVID-19. I volunteered all day yesterday and today with the "First Weekend" activities, helping introduce students to the various offices and services on campus and helping those with in-person classes find their classrooms (the majority of classes this semester are online, with the only face-to-face classes being those that need to be face-to-face like science labs and art studios). Google Fit on my phone tells me I walked 30,000 steps combined across the two days. I'm exhausted because I haven't had that much exercise since early March. Having a ton of human interaction has actually been a huge stress reliever. [face_relieved]

Though today I had an unfun experience. Shortly after lunch, I broke out in hives all over my body. I have no known allergies, so I'm not certain what it was that I reacted to. I suspect it might have been the Chex Mix Muddy Buddies I was snacking on right before lunch (I've never had them before), but it might also be the pasta salad that was served with lunch today (I've had pasta salad a few times before, but not this recipe). Everything else I consumed is stuff that should be safe (pulled pork, fruit salad, and Mountain Dew). I took some Benadryl and it got rid of the itching and the hives, so that's good.

So I may need to find an allergist that takes my insurance and go in for allergy testing.

Kit' and DarthIshtar like this.
  17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Ugh @jcgoble3, hives are the worst and even scarier when you aren't sure what caused them. Lucky they disappeared with the Benadryl and that you are feeling okay now.

Drafts come in tomorrow which meant an epic writing push for me tonight as I'm not going to have that much time over the next couple of weeks. I've promised myself though that I will get back to the stories I've left languishing while I've been distracted by the newer and shinier things.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  18. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Buckle up, those in Northern California... ANOTHER round of t-storms incoming, possibly, with a 30 to 40% chance of mayhem. (On the satellite imagery, it looks like the Jet Stream is dropping early and it's going to be flung right at us. This is all well and good... unless it's NOT the Pineapple Express. Ack.) **sigh**

Fire Status Update - California (...thankfully without PG&E cutting our power for Red Flag Warnings...)

LNU Lightning Complex: 341,243 acres, 17% Containment (which is way better than a week ago)
    SCU Lightning Complet: 339,968 acres at 10% Containment
    CZU Lightning Complez (Santa Cruz Mountains: 67,000 Acres, 5% Containment
    River Fire (east of Salinas): 48,424 acres, 15% containment
    Butte/Tehama/Glenn Lightning Complex (Tehama/Glenn Zone): 48,200, 13% containment
    Apple Fire (Riverside County): 33,424 Acres, 95% containment
    Lake Fire (Los Angelas County: 31,089 acres, 52% containment
    Sheep Fire (Susanville): 15,776 acres, as yet no containment (That's REALLY, REALLY hilly, so it'll probably be a while...)
    Carmel Fire (Monterey): 6,695 ares, 10% containment
    Butte/Tehama/Glenn Lightning Complex (Butte Zone): 4,070 acres, 50% contained
    Holser Fire (Ventura County): 3,000 acres, 80% contained
    Moc Fire (Tuolumne County): 2,800 acres, 10% contained

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]
    These are hilarious!

The Qui-Gon one could be interpreted in a metaphorical sense....;)

Kit' likes this.
  20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Exhausted. Came home and crashed. No drafting, no writing, nothing but sitting and watching tv. Don’t know why I’m so tired but I think pushing myself to complete everything over the last six months has finally caught up.

Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthIshtar likes this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Y'all! I found it! Popped up on my Pinterest again.

This is the post!

And did I save it this time? You bet I saved it!

Gamiel likes this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The weather today is perfect!! Warm enough to still wear shorts but needed a long sleeve shirt, that's my favorite combo! I'm in hopes we'll get an actual autumn this year instead of hot until you need to get out the winter coat. Not that I'll be able to go anywhere or do anything. [face_plain]

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Storm Francis created mayhem yesterday in the Netherlands. Now it's gone and we have nice weather today

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve had a quite busy week between recording a double feature on my Tolkien podcast, starting a new book to write, getting ready to edit a book. My work gave me a raise on Tuesday and a DoorDash of a box of cookies today. I’m doing okay.

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, I spoke to soon, it was really hot again today. :( And I also tempted the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing this morning when I said I didn't have anything scheduled yet for work for next week. I was almost fully booked within a few hours. 8-} I mean it's fine, I actually prefer that to getting appointments the day before, but they just all came at the same time.

Yay for a raise, Ish!! Congrats!!