main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've MacGyver something similar using a key-ring and cat leash for a dress I had that I LOVED (it was the Her Universe Hoth dress... if you know what I'm talking about, then you know the exact dress) but it was still so much work, so whenever I'm looking for a dress and it has a back zip, I'm like "nope, move along."

amidalachick, Lady_Misty and Kit' like this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    [mention]Briannakin [/mention] if I can’t get the zipper up all the way I ask for help. But I agree with others: it’s an art that some people learn.

Last night my niece Chibi and I made Banana Bread. I probably used more bananas than I should have but it still turned out yummy.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Mmmm, that looks good!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Re: clothes with back zippers: I pretty much avoid them because it's such a pain. Even now that I have someone to zip me up I generally avoid them when possible. My mother-in-law has had her door man zip her up before, lol. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

It was a tubular knit so instead of having a selvage it was just a giant continuous tube. If I were more experienced I probably could have used it but since it's a gift I didn't want to risk it not being sure the direction of the grain and such.

Also, I LOVE that dress you found!!

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmmm. Yeah sucks. I hate working with knits in general! If you have no idea what to with it, hoodies actually aren't too bad to make. I know you basically just cut down the tube to make a flat piece of fabric.

MMMMM. Banana bread. Now I wanna make some.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    That dress is awesome, @Briannakin. I always get dresses where I can put them on mostly zipped up and then contort myself to do it up the rest of the way.

My friend who was hospitalized with pneumonia and sepsis related to the coronavirus she’d contracted is home and doing well, but her husband is now in the hospital with pneumonia for the same reason.

I’ve been very stressed with work, but doing the podcast once a week has been such fun. We’re about to finish The Hobbit and are having a few festivities before we start The Lord of the Rings.

Jedi Knight Fett and Kit' like this.
  8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That's kinda what I ended up doing, I made an 80's inspired workout top. That's not what the pattern is, it's actually an oversized crop top which was part of a grunge collection but when I thought about using this fabric, I was all about the 80's look. I purposely didn't hem it because I liked the cut off look.
    [​IMG]

I'm actually kinda happy I messed up with what I bought for three reasons, 1) it gave me more practice with knits before making this other thing. 2) I learned the joys of a walking foot! dp was laughing at me because I was giggling while I was using it, it made me so happy. 3) the other fabric I found is better for what I'm making anyway! Win!

Ish- I'm so glad you friend is doing better! I hope her husband gets better soon. Making the podcast sounds like a lot of fun! I was pretty late to the listening of podcasts but now that I've found them, I don't know what I'd do without them. Basically anything you want, there's a pod about it!

Lady_Misty - I meant to say this the other day, but that banana bread looks so good! I love banana bread!

Kahara, Kit' and Briannakin like this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm glad your friend is doing better but that sucks about her husband.

That top looks amazing Mav!!!

So I'm currently living in the smokey apocalypse. The wind shifted just overnight and the smoke from Oregon and California is now blowing here. Yesterday I was out for an ebike ride and I'm thankful I managed to get outside while I could. I thought it was bad this morning but it has progressively gotten worse over the day. There's no light getting through it's so bad.

But I've managed to get quite a bit done today! The baby quilt I'm making is almost done and my muse is back! I think I've written more over this weekend than I have all summer.

Also, speaking of podcasts, I'm on the final episode of The West Wing Weekly!!! I love the podcast but I always had an issue getting around to watching the episode then listening to the podcast - it's just not very conducive to binge listening while I'm sewing and stuff. Part of me is waiting around for the perfect night to watch the finale (one of my favourite episodes) and listen to the 2 hour final podcast episode.

Also, I've been watching Cobra Kai and its soooo not my thing but its so entertaining!!!

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The podcast has been lots of fun. We two barely knew each other before we started it, so we keep running into funny coincidences. Like I told a story about choosing my violin from the collection of this one luthier in Boston and it turns out she worked there during grad school because she was thinking of learning to make violins. So we both know Jerry very well. There’s a 19-year age gap between us, but you wouldn’t know it because we’re a lot alike.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Anybody here that have read (and remember) the old Ninja book series by Eric Van Lustbader? Asking because I would like to discuss it and know what other thought about it.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd never even heard of it, but I just looked it up and it sounds like it might be interesting!

Has everyone seen the trailer for the second season of The Mandalorian? (Did people outside of the US finally get access to Disney Plus??) The WandaVision trailer also just came out and I'm so excited for that too. The poster was awesome:
    [​IMG]

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Not yet in Sweden.

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Those puppets are works of art! and I love the footage of the children watching; they were transfixed.

Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve seen the season 2 trailer and have encouraged my sister to let my nephew watch season 1.

16. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    We did. Buuuuuuuut, it has only the two first episodes of The Mandalorian so far. *grumbling* [face_phbbbbt]

Kahara likes this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Are they releasing it week by week like they did here in North America? I kinda get the week-by-week format to generate more discussion, publicity, etc, but if it's already out in it's entirety in other regions I don't understand why they'd do that with the release in later regions.

So I'm just having one of those nights [face_bleh] It's 5:30 am and I haven't gotten any sleep. I'm blaming it on the change in weather (Its still getting quite warm here most days but it's getting quite cold at night and I just cant get comfortable. I am okay once it stays cold but the transition from summer to fall messes with me every year and I think being in a new city isn't helping - at least back home the concept of Autumn really only exists for a week). But I really don't know what's causing this bought of insomnia.

Anyways so I've been (stupidly) just laying in bed watching netflix when I just should have gotten up and taken something or did something for an hour on the couch. Now I'm here trying to decide if I should just get ready for the day and start work really early or at least do something productive like fold laundry. Or if I should at least give my brain a rest and continue my Canadian sit-com binge. I'm thinking one more episode and it should start getting light enough outside to make it feel like morning.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Kahara and Mistress_Renata like this.
  18. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Nope, not even that - I think. I believe I read somewhere that they will release more episodes in November but I have no idea why they're stalling when the episodes actually are made. It doesn't make sense

Kahara likes this.
  19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That's really weird and I agree doesn't make any sense. And really annoying! I'm sorry!

I totally get the week to week format even on streaming, I actually prefer that because I really like reading reviews and listening to podcasts for the shows I really love. I like speculating with other fans. When they dump all at once people seem less likely to do those things and it kinda takes some of the extra fun out of it for me.

Kahara likes this.
  20. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Yay, for some reason episode 3 and 4 of "The Mandalorian" has been released now so there's some progress after all. I can live with that.
    Buuuut, what the *beeep* is "Baby Yoda" doing on Tatooine? Yes I know it's not really Yoda, but the question stands. Or are there Jawas other places in the galaxy? *scratching head*

Ah, a little Wookieepedia check cleared up my musings a bit. Now still confused, but on a higher level [face_tee_hee]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Kahara and mavjade like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Based on TCW so do Jawas exist outside of Tatooine, so it could be another panet

Kahara and CaraJinn like this.
  22. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    A little more research shows that season 2 will be released on October 30th here. Then I guess there will be one new episode of season 1 released per week since 4 episodes are out by now. Makes sense.

Kahara likes this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That does make sense. It starts on October 30th in the US too, so I guess they are going for full release, which is great!

We've started getting an uptick in COVID cases in my area/state... I've got a feeling we're going to be going back in the other direction of lock down things again. [face_plain] (Though we're still more locked down than a lot of places: no indoor restaurant dining, stores at 50% capacity, no theaters etc.) I just hope it doesn't happen until much later. We've got plans to go to a friends vacation house in a neighboring state (they won't be there) as a sort of vacation where we'll at least get to look at different walls, go hiking, etc. Right now, that state isn't a 'have to quarantine for two weeks' state after going there and neither is ours for them, but if that changes it becomes a big problem.

Kahara likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That will make some fun Friday nights again! There's something just so nice about sitting down on a Friday night and being able to watch something new (and not have to scroll through netfix etc trying to decide).

That sucks Mav. Hopefully you will be able to go on that mini vacation. Sometimes you just need a change of scenery for a few days to clear your head. We are seeing a bit of an uptick here so I think it's only a matter of time before we see more restrictions. We are seeing a lot of bars breaking rules.

I just got back from a weekend girls trip I was invited on last minute (I was invited Thursday night and left Friday afternoon). We just sticked to the resort accommodations (it was a weird mini resort hall but all 6 rooms are fully wheelchair accessible, which was nice because 5 of us use wheelchairs). And it was just a great weekend of wine and card games and exactly what I needed. There were only 6 of us so it was within safety protocols here.

Kahara, mavjade and DarthIshtar like this.
  25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My sympathies. Our county was starting to make progress. But it’s now at orange level because a company called Young and Dumb held back to school parties and cases at the two universities are on the rise because, you guessed it, getting into a great school doesn’t mean you have an ounce of sense. My local congregation started having normal meetings again and the bishop encouraged people to not feel the need to wear masks. Now the governor has ordered masks everywhere in the county and church is being broadcast again. The friends I know had it happened to show up at the same orchard we had hiked to on Saturday and no one was social distancing or wearing masks. It’s really disheartening that people are being less cautious as cases are on the rise, like my anti-masker friend who is organizing a neighborhood trick or treating party in her house because kids shouldn’t be oppressed by the liberals. At least my work is still making us work at home and even asked me recently what I wanted mailed to me for my birthday in November, since they can’t do the usual pizza, decorations, and candy left on my desk.

Jedi Knight Fett and Kahara like this.