main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, I'm certainly not. I've not been able to sleep, concentrate, or really do anything but stress eat the last three days.

I feel like there are going to be a lot more remote jobs than before even after all this is over. Companies have realized some people can still work really well from home. Of course there are going to be people who don't like it and want an office, and there will be times when an office works better, but not for everything/everyone.

Mistress_Renata and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Before the pandemic, I ate at restaurants consistently twice a day. I'm a terrible cook and for a long time I couldn't safely fix anything at home because of how filthy my dad's kitchen was, so I spent $500 to $600 per month on eating out, mostly fast food. (My monthly budget is largely built around that expense.)

Since the pandemic began, I've definitely been eating out less, but I'm still eating out daily because I still suck at cooking. However, whereas before it was always dine-in, I'm now doing a lot more carryout and drive-through orders that I bring home to eat, and I avoid dining in when the restaurant is busy. I'm also cooking in my apartment slightly more often, even if it's just microwaving a bowl of oatmeal.

amidalachick and Mistress_Renata like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Count me in on also not being able to concentrate much. I got a bit done on my grant project yesterday and - not as much as I would like but bit by bit it's getting done. I'm trying not to beat myself up too much for not getting much done because there's enough stress going on.

Speaking of stress eating... I made 6 chocolate croissants (it was a frozen kit) on Tuesday afternoon. Three were gone by tuesday night (... I was also drinking) and I ate two more yesterday and the last today. I'm shocked they made it that long. My sister and her boyfriend were over here last night (my rowing machine came... thank God... so they put it together). We ordered from our favourite restaurant. It's vegan comfort food... so while it is vegan, its not that healthy. I had a fake corn-dog and a poutine made with tatertots. I have no regrets.

And yes, we are going to see a lot more working from home... which is both good and bad. It's great for people who are disabled to have that option. I loved rolling out of bed 15 minutes before work! But at the same time (as we have seen) somedays I just cant concentrate at home.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    On Monday, knowing that this one Facebook group was full of people anxious about the next day, I wished everyone well regardless of their vote.

This the wrong thing to say by omission. I didn’t tell everyone to be well unless they voted a specific way and within hours, I had people swearing and threatening me for being a fascist who hates everything good people support. When I left after 36 hours of this harassment by 96 people, a group of them tracked down where else I was involved in fandom—the discussion group for my podcast—and attacked them for not standing against me being a hate crime committing fascist.

I can’t sleep at night because people won’t stop this. I’m exhausted. And then that’s not even counting compulsively checking the electoral college map. I have frequent panic attacks and feel like throwing up. I can’t write. I have a migraine every day so it takes me 800 mg of ibuprofen to be able to turn on my work computer.

I’m just crashed and can’t see an end in sight and if this goes until January’s deadlines, I’m going to be unable to get out of bed in the morning by then.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh my! I am actually excited about Star Wars again.

gizkaspice, Gamiel and DarthIshtar like this.
  6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, LEGO... how we love you!!! Where is the screaming with excitement/jumping up in down emoji?!!

LEGO Emperor is always so much fun.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I swear I’ve written a fanfic like this. XD

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Oh man, that last Mandalorian episode (S2,E2) made me glad I don't live in a GFFA.

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh man, that last episode of 'America' makes me glad I don't live in the USA.

(But seriously l am so excited for that Lego movie).

mavjade , DarthIshtar and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Times like this make me sometimes wish I was part of one of those uncontacted tribes living in jungles--no Covid, no Trump, and just happy I caught a fish that most likely isn't contaminated by radioactive waste.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Simpler way of life. Sure you got preventable diseases, but you also don't have an impending sense of dread that something horrible will happen.

Today all motivation to work on anything has just gone out the window.

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Same. In addition to the election drama, the weather where I am is absolutely gorgeous (seriously: right now it's 70°F, sunshine, and not a cloud in the sky) and it's going to be like that (rising to around 75°F) for the entire weekend. I actually ate lunch today outside, something I rarely do voluntarily because I hate it, but the weather today just demanded it. We had our first hard freeze overnight at the beginning of this week and so this weather is a very welcome sight.

AzureAngel2 and amidalachick like this.
  13. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I actually kind of admire the tribes who understand that there's a world out there with technology and other people, but want absolutely NOTHING to do with it. I don't blame them---judging by the current state of our world, I'd like to keep away from everything, too!

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay random side note about the episode (though I know now what you are referring to and I total agree), Captain Carson is played by Paul Sun-Hyung Lee. He's a Korean-Canadian actor (probably) most known for starring as "Appa" in Kim's Convenience (Canadian sit-com, I highly recommend if you need a break from all things American. Along with Schitt's Creek which is just something else I'm trying to get people to watch). Anyways I am watching latest episode of the Mandalorian and I was like wait... is that Appa? IT'S APPA! And I got super excited.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Yeah, I was a bit creeped out too. Didn't help much that I watched it just before going to bed... [face_nail_biting]

By the way, is there anyone else there who has a crush on the Mandalorian's voice? [face_tee_hee] I've had a thing about voices ever since I heard Darth Vader's (aka James Earl Jones) voice in ANH back in 1979, and it continued with Obi-Wan's (aka Ewan Mc Gregor) adorable voice and accent in the prequels. I even sometimes react to voices of people I meet IRL. I remember being at a PhD dissertation many years ago (not mine...) and one of the opponents had a wonderful voice. My friend who I confided in still remembers and laughs at me because of that.

Guess she has a point.

amidalachick and Mistress_Renata like this.
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have had a crush on his voice since his days as Oberyn on Game of Thrones. His accent there is amazing. But I love his acting as mando so much.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ducking in to say, “happy president-elect day!”

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The news broke just as I was laying in bed this morning and it made me very happy.

That being said. I'm not going to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing and celebrate too hard just yet. This is 2020. Though given the margins and the fact that Biden is also projected to win more states, I don't think we will have a repeat of 2000 but THIS IS 2020 Y'ALL.

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I hope you guys and gals are breaking out the champagne. We had a bottle left from the Golden Dawn verdict and we popped it open as soon as the kid was asleep.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks for quoting West Wing. I got a pizza to celebrate.

Jedi Knight Fett and AzureAngel2 like this.
  21. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Celebratory breakfast down here in Australia! Congratulations guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I think I'm going to order some relief dinner tonight.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The first person to call to celebrate was an Australian fanfic writer from around here. It made me so happy.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Project due Tuesday. Haven't been able to focus on working on it since last Tuesday (election day). Nothing is going to get done today, and tomorrow I have a D&D session that's going to eat up the bulk of the day, and then early bedtime because swim lesson at 7am Monday. Hopefully I can get it done Monday.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthIshtar like this.
  25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ll give you a big cheer while I still have energy. :)

I’m teaching two classes at a virtual writing conference next weekend and need to do all of my notes today and tomorrow. So I believe we can both meet our goals.