main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My foot blisters are back and bigger. No clue what caused them this time. Given where they're located (right on the ball of the foot) and their size (an inch in diameter), moleskin won't help unless I use like half a dozen layers.

Called my mom and she said I probably need to see a doctor. My primary care doctor is traveling overseas right now and her physician's assistant won't be back in until Tuesday because of the holiday, so I'm probably going to head to an urgent care tomorrow.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have been at Utah Shakespeare festival for three days. Five plays. Three seminars. Lunches with friends and coworkers. And, because the theaters literally forbid water bottles and don’t have climate control, heat exhaustion.

I’m so very tired. On the other hand, singing and rapping the entirety of Hamilton for Independence Day on the drive home helped fix a problem I had with a fic.

amidalachick likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My work week started with me dumping myself off my trike while on a ride. How do you tip over a 3 wheeled hand-cycle? By swerving into a giant pothole to avoid a car not paying attention. I'm fine, just kinda sore and very dirty. I think I'm going to have a drink with dinner.

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Did they start occurring after getting new shoes or have you started some exercise program that creates these hot spots? I know you asked before about how to fix the problem, but I don't remember what caused them.

You may need to purchase new shoes that fit better or stop exercising until the blisters fully heal.

I would suggest seeing a doctor. Blisters that don't go away might lead to infection. Also, other problems like diabetes could result in wounds not healing properly. Do you have a condition like hammertoe? That can cause the bones to bend in weird ways and you end up with the MTP joints at the ball of your foot digging in to the bottom of your shoe. I don't know if they can cause blisters but they can dig a hole though the cushioned insoles. Also, there are special Gel callus cushions for the ball of your feet that are sold on Amazon.

Coincidentally, I am seeing my podiatrist tomorrow for my bad feet.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The original blisters resulted from four hours barefoot on hot concrete at a waterpark. They disappeared for a few weeks, then returned a few days ago.

I did buy new sandals this year, but I have been wearing them for about three months now without issues. If the new sandals were causing them, I would have expected problems in April or May. I cannot wear socks and regular shoes in the summer because my feet sweat like crazy. In the wintertime, I occasionally have to change my socks halfway through a long day because they are soaked with sweat. In the summer, I would be changing my socks almost hourly. I can't afford that many socks, so I have to wear sandals when it gets warm outside. (I don't wear flip-flops; I get the kind that have straps that go over your instep and around the back of the ankle.)

I haven't seen a doctor yet. Currently, the blisters are non-existent (you can't even tell they're there) in the mornings when I get up. They become visible but flat as the day wears on. Right now (end of the day) it's just an area of skin that's slightly loose, as if the top layer of skin has separated and ever so slightly swollen. They hurt when I walk, but that is from the loose skin bunching up slightly and folding over a couple of millimeters under my body weight. The blisters themselves do not hurt otherwise. There does not appear to be any fluid inside. After I sleep, they go back to non-existent in the morning again and repeat the cycle.

6. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @jcgoble3 yikes, that sounds painful! Hope you can figure out what's causing them so they'll go away!

I just got my second dose of Pfizer. :D

I was really stressing out about it, because there were some supply shortages and they were doing mixed doses (one Pfizer, one Moderna) which I would have taken if I had to but I wasn't thrilled about. Plus it's been a bad few weeks with a lot of real life stuff going on. So to have that be done and over with at least is such a relief. I will definitely be celebrating with ice cream and some sort of alcohol later tonight or tomorrow! [face_party]

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yikes JC. Maybe try elevating your legs throughout the day - might help until you see the doctor.

Yay! That is cause for celebration, or if it hits you like me, a half dozen naps (but naps are great!). You deserve that alcohol and ice cream (I think that's what I did!).

Today is fire alarm testing day in my building - one of the minor annoyances of condo life. I could technically go into the office after I give them access to my unit (covid restrictions have lifted so I can now work from home or the office whenever I want), but I am still so sore from my bike crash. Basically after I went splat, the breaks on the cycle would not fully disengage for some reason (It's not the best cycle to begin with, but we are a charity so we just deal with all sorts of mechanical issues). It was just really hard to cycle - not a huge deal to begin with, but holy man, the soreness really hit me yesterday evening and is continuing today. So, yeah, constant fire alarms are preferable to moving off my couch right now (though after I let them in, I might go see what noise-cancelling headphones on my balcony is like).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Mistress_Renata and amidalachick like this.
  8. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    So... what is on the list of dumb things not to do during fire season? Mowing dry grass. Welcome to fire season in NorCal. (It was 50 acres, the steak house and the humane society animal shelter survived, and as of last update tonight, that area is still under a mandatory evac order, tho the fire is mostly out.)

Stay safe out there, folks, and be careful if you're doing a thing that might cause sparks and lead to disaster. That list includes mowing, untended power line malfunction, loose chains on vehicles, cigarettes...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    At this point, I don't think they're blisters anymore. They don't hurt at all; what does sometimes hurt when I walk is the loose skin bunching up under my body weight, as though I stepped on some loose object on the floor. I think the loose skin that's currently there is just the dead layer that's left from the original blisters. My current health insurance combo basically gets me free healthcare (I'm temporarily on Medicaid), so I may drive to the nearby urgent care tomorrow to get a professional opinion on that.

Lots of stuff going on with me right now:

Tried to go kayaking tonight with campus recreation. Staff told me on Discord at 5:00 that it was a go (the weather forecast was extremely iffy earlier in the afternoon) and to meet them at the lake (a ten-minute drive) at 6:00. I got there about 5:40 and started looking for them, then messaged them on Discord. Then they messaged back to say that they (campus recreation staff) went to load up the kayaks and found that maintenance had taken their van into the shop for service. In the words of Jar-Jar, "How wude!" :p So they had to cancel at the last minute, and now they have to reschedule me again, probably for next Thursday evening.

Monday I'm leaving for a trip 3 hours north to Cedar Point. Staying on site and going to ride, ride, ride those coasters. Leaving Thursday afternoon to head home (and depending on the kayaking situation, may go kayaking before I even get home). After the stress of the last year and a half, I need a few days away from home to just relax in my own way.

This morning I went in for a consultation regarding LASIK. I've been wanting to try to get rid of my glasses for years and a local office well-known as a leader in the LASIK field in this area sent out a $1,200 coupon to students last month. So I scheduled the free consultation, and after all was said and done today, I scheduled the surgery for Friday, July 30. So hopefully I'll be able to completely ditch the glasses for the next 20 years or so. It will cost me about $150/month for 24 months, but it's worth it for me.

Finally, I might be going whitewater rafting Labor Day weekend. Campus recreation's outdoor recreation center is offering a $300 rafting trip in West Virginia that weekend, with Saturday night spent camping out and the a full day of rafting on Sunday. I've never been whitewater rafting before but I really want to try it. I just have to play with my budget this weekend and see if I can afford that on top of the LASIK (although I'm pretty sure the answer is yes).

10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Haven't been here in a while. Just popped in to say hello to everyone. [:D]

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Welcome back. Stay a while.

JediMaster_Jen and Gamiel like this.
  12. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    That's the current plan. Thanks!:D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's a pretty good deal! I grew up close to the best white water rafting in WV (in Fayette Country) and weirdly never did it. I had the chance when I was around 8 but they decided I didn't weigh enough at the time, and then we were going to in high school and it didn't happen for some reason. My parents weren't very outdoorsy so they never took us to do stuff like that. If you do go to that area, there's a lot of fun things to do around there.

I've only been to Cedar Point one time years ago, but I loved it! Before that I'd never get on a coaster and by the time I left there, I went on all of them and always want to ride them no matter where I am. Though the last time I rode a roller coaster (a few years ago, now) I got really dizzy. Like didn't go away for 30 minutes dizzy. I've never been able to do the launch acceleration ones, they give me a massive headache, but this was a typical inverted coaster. I was really upset that I might not be able to ride them anymore. :(

amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    That's an extremely good deal! Hope you're able to do that trip as well as your LASIK surgery. Sounds like it would be a ton of fun. I've been whitewater rafting once here in CA on the South Fork of the American River. I was a kid and the river had, and presumably still has class II-V rapids which were both exhilarating and terrifying. :D

Like @mavjade, I've been to Cedar Point once a few years ago. It was a bucket list park for me and the fam. I'd love to go back. Hope you have a great time there @jcgoble3. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Went to urgent care. Doctor took one look at the bottoms of my feet and basically said, "yep, that's just the dead layer." She said it will either fall off in a few days, or be reabsorbed into the live layer below it and then slough off. So I'm good on that now.

Fayette County is exactly where they're going, specifically the Lower New River Gorge. Sorry to hear you couldn't go, but you ought to plan a trip back there to do it! Do you still have family in that area? Maybe you can visit family at the same time.

"Exhilarating and terrifying" is exactly how I expect it to feel. :D I need more healthy fear in my life. Roller coasters are fun but don't quite produce the same thrill for me that they used to because I've gotten so used to them.

I think there's a good chance you were overheated and dehydrated, probably not drinking enough water on a hot day. I too can get a little dizzy or nauseous on a coaster when it's hot out, and that is the signal to me that it's time to drink some extra water and find some air conditioning for a little bit (usually some shopping or an indoor live show, or an indoor restaurant if it's mealtime). Most amusement parks (including Cedar Point) will give you small cups of ice water for free at any food/drink stand with a drink fountain. On extremely hot days pre-COVID, I've seen Kings Island (my home park) sometimes put out trays of ice water cups on some counters for people to just grab as needed without having to stand in line and ask for them.

Thank you! I can definitely see it as a bucket list park. In terms of roller coasters, I'm really spoiled by living in southwest Ohio. I have Kings Island less than an hour away, Cedar Point 3 hours away (and one Cedar Fair platinum season pass gets me into both), Holiday World and their awesome coasters 4 hours away in southwest Indiana, and generally several hundred roller coasters across the Midwest and East Coast within a one-day drive. The park I really want to get to, and haven't had the chance yet, is Dollywood.

amidalachick likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never been white water rafting either but that sounds like an extremely good deal! My high school set up a white water rafting trip for my grad class' dry grad (not sure if they have dry grads elsewhere but it's basically the school's attempt to dissuade kids from drinking and partying to celebrate graduation) but they weren't willing to make it accessible for me, so I said fine, I'll just go to wet grad! It was a gravel pit party that my classmates were more than willing to make accessible for me.

But wooo hoo for some time away.

My day and plans for the weekend arent quite as eventful but I got to do something fun! Around 1 my manager and I basically ditched our summer staff and quit work early - we were both over hours and really not doing much, so we said screw it. So, with my randomly free Friday afternoon, I decided to go shopping - in person! There's a big discount home décor store here that also sells really interesting and weird snacks, and I kept saying one of the things I wanted to do once I was fully vaccinated was to go there. So I did. Bought some random kitchen and cat stuff (along with plenty of snacks) and just had fun. I was kinda looking for a new table for my balcony (the one I have is like a short side table, so not the best for working or eating at) and a new couch, but I didn't find either.

My sister and I have plans to hang out at the beach on Sunday so that should be fun.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A friend invited me to come to Lake Tahoe with her and other friends in august. We just started talking as a group and making official plans now that everyone has plane tickets and we have our lodging (top floor of a resort cabin in the King’s Beach area). We’re close to lots of hiking and water sports and the cabin has a fireplace and swing benches out front. So I’m looking forward to hiking with new people and stargazing and doing some kayaking.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    @jcgoble3 When you do have the chance, you'll definitely enjoy Dollywood. Silver Dollar City is another fun one in Branson, Missouri if you've never been there. :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I have been to Silver Dollar City! Time Traveler was my 100th coaster credit (and a very fun ride!) :D In 2018, a couple friends and I headed to Missouri for four days, hitting Worlds of Fun (Kansas City), Silver Dollar City (Branson), and Six Flags St. Louis. We also saw some of the sights in St. Louis, including going to the top of the Gateway Arch, and crawled around in the St. Louis City Museum for a few hours on Saturday night.

I actually need to go back to Silver Dollar City because we weren't there long enough to properly take it all in. We were there for an evening plus about two-thirds of the next day, and the primary focus was on the coasters, so I missed most of the live entertainment, shops, etc. It's definitely a park that demands two or three days to truly take it all in.

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  20. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Oh, that's so crazy! Time Traveler was my 237th coaster credit and my husband's10th. Yes, you read that right; his 10th, LOL. He's not really a theme park enthusiast and definitely not a coaster enthusiast. The kind of coasters I love make him sick. [face_sick]

You're right about that. We spent three days total. Definitely needed that third day to take in all the live entertainment and shops. Probably in my top 5 theme parks I've visited.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, wow! You're way ahead of me! I'm only at 116 credits total. I didn't get to travel much in 2019, so I only added one that year, then obviously there hasn't been much going on last season or this season (but I did add the new coaster, Orion, at Kings Island last summer and a new credit at a local family entertainment center this past February).

At least he can hold your stuff while you ride, I hope? Saves money on lockers. ;)

22. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    I had to consult my list. I'm at a total of 687. :eek: But I've been to many parks in Europe and Asia as well. I've seen the parks official POV and it looks like a fantastic ride.

DarthIshtar and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Holy moley! I know a lot of enthusiasts whose credit counts I'm envious of, and most of them don't even have half of that!

And Time Traveler just opened in 2018, so for you to have added 450 more since then... that's a LOT of traveling!

JediMaster_Jen likes this.
  24. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    We definitely did a lot of traveling. A lot of European parks didn't close during COVID and some that closed early on reopened sooner than others. Even here in the States, some small amusement parks and theme parks remained open. It was difficult because some countries had travel bans in place at times and others made you quarantine for a certain length of time or have a negative test. It was crazy, but we managed a LOT of coasters.

We were pretty bust prior to COVID, too.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it's my northern Canadian showing but I have no clue what credits are! I'm assuming different roller coasters?? Where I'm from, theme parks are like a once in a lifetime experiences.

I have the not-so-fun task of creating a bug-out bag today. It's something I (and everyone) should have... I just keep procrastinating making one (which is really bad). In my defence, I live alone in a condo - realistically in an emergency, it wouldn't take me very long to grab essentials for a few days and a few important items. But I do recognize the advantages of being able to grab a backpack, insulin out of the fridge, and just going.

Theres a forest fire along the highway about 50 km from me - not really a threat but it started in the middle of the night and its still out of control. It is so dry and hot here that an entire village just west of here was destroyed in minutes just last week.

jcgoble3 likes this.