main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wow @Chyntuck! I saw that on the news the other day and it looked unreal! I hope it gets contained soon.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Mistress_Renata My deepest sympathy and @Chyntuck ... Gracious, that part of Greece, Evia, sounds idyllic, and then to have a fire break out! :eek: Yeah, I'd yell at Mr. Chyn too :p I celebrate and embrace all first responders but it doesn't lessen the stress for their families @};-

I think a psychological break is like something that all employees need to demand. Tell the boss, If I lose my paid vacation, if you want me to be sane and productive, you'd better let me have it even if you have to call it something else like personal leave, or all the sick days I never took.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That's scary Chyn. At least here, people have places to escape to... unless they are idiots and refuse to follow evac orders :rolleyes:. I mean, I get that it's a bit of a hassle to evacuate when there's *probably* not going to be danger, but if you make Search and Rescue come in to save you, then that risks more lives and takes services away from where they are needed.

Today, my goal is to just do laundry and tidy my kitchen. That's all I need to do... but it's 1pm and I got zero motivation. At least it's cold here again today and overcast. It's been trying to rain all weekend and we got a short shower yesterday. I'm like, come on sky! You can do it! RAAAAIIINNNN!!!

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I was bored today, so I went out and got ice cream. Now I'm bored and happy.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] For those with sensitive tummies to lactose, there's a lactade ice cream that is very rich and creamy. The best flavor is salted caramel. YUM!

6. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm so sorry @Mistress_Renata. Sending lots of love and sympathy to you and your family. Take care of yourself. [:D]

@Chyntuck oh my gosh that's awful! Fingers crossed it gets contained quickly, and sending lots of love and good vibes to you and Mr. Chyntuck and everyone else affected as well. [:D]

I went for dinner last night IN an actual restaurant for the first time since March 2020. It felt so weird, like something I'd never done before. But it was so good, and so nice to get together with a few people (even though they've been part of my bubble and we've been seeing each other throughout the pandemic, it still hasn't been the same) to just eat and drink and relax for a little while.

Also, yay for ice cream! Always makes a day better. :D

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think it feels so much better knowing you're vaccinated. I'm still a bit hesitate but if there's not a lot of people inside a restaurant and generally masks are still used, I'm more comfortable. I'm also able to spend time with family and friends I couldn't before because we're all double-vaccinated and it's just so freeing. Meanwhile I'm outright refusing to meet any unvaccinated friends because I don't want to be responsible for their possible sickness/deaths in case I'm asymptomatic for some reason.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    @Mistress_Renata [:D][:D] Lots of love to your family and you.

@Chyntuck Greece should have the rain that's coming this way. It's awful to see those forests and villages burning.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s terrifying, Chyn. I just came from a place in California surrounded by three uncontrolled fires, but it was just affected by smoke to hazardous conditions. Those people on evia must be in such dire straits.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Had a nice productive day working on my independent study project for school. Actually too productive, because I got carried away with it and just forced myself to stop at 1:30 AM when I originally wanted to be in bed lights out by midnight. Oh well.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Love days like that where I am just so productive... today was not one of those days. It should have been because I was in charge in the office and no one was nagging me to do random stuff so perfect day to actually work on the projects they hired me to do... but my brain had other plans. But some friends texted me right as I was leaving so I hung out in a park with them for a bit, which was really nice. They asked me to go to dinner with them and as tempting as it was, I am just so physically tired from work and even though we are all vaccinated, COVID numbers are really jumping, so I felt like there were too many reasons to say no.

My credit card still isn't here. I called yesterday and they basically said what I thought they would: not much they can do besides cancel it and issue a new one, they suggested I wait another few days with all the mailing delays, but they did approve me for a second card (super basic, low fee) so that's on its way. I broke down and asked my mom for help since I needed more diabetic supplies and she told me to order whatever I want (I'll pay her back)... so I'm going to put a grocery order in to have it delivered. I think I should order myself a yummy treat. Any ideas??

AAAAAAANNNNDD, I have a 4 day weekend this weekend (MUCH NEEDED OH GOD!). Unfortunately, the smoke is back (we had like 4 days of clear skies but it's not too bad... yet), and with COVID cases rising, there's not much I can do outside my condo... but I still want to treat myself because I deserve it! I definitely need to spend a few hours giving this place a good clean (that's probably what I will spend Friday doing) but after I am thinking a movie marathon. Star Wars or Harry Potter??

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Today has been interesting. Overslept (see above for why), picked up a couple of Amazon packages, then went to the hospital to get some routine lab work done that a kidney doctor ordered last month. One of the things ordered was a 24-hour urine collection, so the hospital sent me home with a three-liter jug with a wide mouth and I have to pee exclusively in that jug for 24 straight hours, then take it back to the hospital. So I'm in the middle of that now and since that effectively means I can't go anywhere (since I can't chance being forced to use a public restroom in a bathroom emergency without the jug on me), I ordered from GrubHub again, this time a sandwich. (Yes, I've ordered from GrubHub once in my entire life before this month and now I've done it twice in a week.)

Got some more work done on the independent study project, and now I'm bored. I should be cleaning, but I don't wanna. :p I should be trying on the pants in my Amazon Prime Wardrobe order that arrived today, but I don't wanna. :p I should be calling Amazon about the lost package again to make sure I'm not charged for it, but I don't wanna. :p I should be doing something, but I don't wanna. :p :p :p So wastes away another day...

Chyntuck and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    that large three-liter jug has me remembering some mates from the firedepartment in Leiden. They had to go for their check-up and what did they bring? Not the little test bottle but each had a two liter cola-bottle filled to the maximum. I heard that from the doctor when I was coming for my check-up in 2002

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I just booked my tickets for 10/28 and 11/6, when I am traveling to spend time with my friends family. Last week at Lake Tahoe was frankly a nightmare. On day 1, things went well, but I had issues with heat exhaustion. On day 2, I was feeling better and we hiked and had fun swimming at this one beach.

Day 3, the sky was brown and the sun was red because of three wildfires not all that far away. The air quality index said that it was hazardous for anyone to be outside and to limit physical activity. The organizer of the trip sat and whined about not getting to do what she wanted until her uncle picked us up for lunch. And then he convinced us to do a quick kayak ride. No one told me she’d convinced them to do a 6.8-mile trip in hazardous air so thick with smoke that we couldn’t see the beach from the water. We had discussed this trip the night before and I said that I was worried about holding everyone back because I might not have the stamina. I said I had a trail I could hike on my own and then meet them when I got back. So they knew I was not comfortable with this trip and tricked me into doing it. I made it and had fun swimming at this remote location, but when I got back, my kayaking partner asked me to help pull the boat onto the dock. I hopped up and landed on the knee I’d bruised earlier in the trip. It hurt a lot and I cried out and then started crying and then couldn’t stop crying. I was so tired and felt so deceived and felt like I wanted to throw up and couldn’t stop my panic attack because I needed deep breaths and the air was hazardous to breathe.

The next day, the organizer yelled at me for needing to use the bathroom. We checked out of the hotel and because she’d yelled at me three times so far that day, I said I’d just stay behind in the lobby for a couple of hours so they could do another short hike and I would get some work done. I asked her to please stop snapping at me and she literally started dancing in the lobby and shouting, “I’LL SAY WHATEVER I WANT! I’LL SAY WHATEVER I WANT!” She’s a grown person who teaches school and I couldn’t figure out what the heck was up with her the last two days. They all came back and we went to the airport.

At the airport, I got through security more quickly and offered to watch the bags for everyone so they could get dinner like they needed. They came back just before boarding and said the organizer had found a place for them to all get ice cream, something we’d tried to do for three days. It was the pettiest thing she did all trip.

She started posting about cutting out emotionally abusive people from her life, then I friended me on Facebook and texted me to say that her spies would make sure she knew when to sue me for slander if I ever mentioned her again. I told her that her little empire was safe and she wouldn’t hear from me either.

So, I need a vacation after having a friend of 12 years suddenly go ballistic on me. I have pain from the long kayaking. I have a bad sunburn because my SPF 70 sunscreen wasn’t enough for several hours on the water. I have “her spies” on my list. But on the other hand, I don’t have to be the person who hears about her crappy ex-boyfriends and it’ll be a while before I have a classically-trained ballerina have a tantrum while doing pirouettes.

And now, I’ve been asked to a concert by a guy who once told me that women who didn’t vote for trump should be who we let the terrorists shoot. On a first date. I’m willing to go because he’s never said anything like that before or since, while my friends are yelling at me to say no to a guy who ever thought that or telling me they’ll book me an Uber, no questions asked, when he says something threatening to me again. It’s a hard choice to make.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    @DarthIshtar You need a solo vacation. That's what you need.

Also, reject that guy. Anyone who would say that will never change, sadly. I do not think you would be safe going with him.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That’s what all my friends are saying. Sadly, I keep having guys with attitudes like that become interested in me and my family thinks I’m too picky on the subject of dating. (My favorite line was “Do online dating. Since guys have no standards there, you’ll get tons of dates!”)

I just committed all of my current vacation time to October 28-November 6 so I can be with my friends and their kids before we all get on a cruise. I’ll
    have more time soon and may take a day or two to myself.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Chyntuck, gizkaspice and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Don’t judge. :). I had an ancestor in the colonial militia who hid his family in a cave on the Sudbury River for over ten years because there were indigenous people who were very angry about his role in the wars. He added several kids to the family while there and that’s the line that qualifies me to be a Daughter of the American Revolution. Also, that’s the descendant of the people who immigrated by accident after drinking too much.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I am not judging him I was mainly using him as an example of if he’s gotten vaccinated nobody has an excuse. I think people should be able to live their lives however they want. He wants to live in a cave good for him.

if anything I am a bit fascinated by it.

Chyntuck and gizkaspice like this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A cave would have better climate control than my apartment and would allow pets. On the other hand, lousy wifi and I’d have to find one with a nice system of springs.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I had a perfect class schedule this semester of three Tuesday/Thursday classes with 90 minutes between each class and completely open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Then I got an email this morning that due to a family emergency, the professor for the middle of those three classes had to fly back to her native country and so the course is being cancelled as they don't have anyone else who can teach it (highly specialized subject). So now I'm stuck needing to replace it with either an advanced cybersecurity course (when I haven't taken the intro to cybersecurity course), an advanced math course that's cross-listed as a computer science course (the math department here has a well-deserved terrible reputation), or one of two courses with instructors so bad that I've heard dozens of complaints about each and never a single good word (and even my adviser warned me away from them). There are no other options that I meet the prerequisites for, and unfortunately every single one of these is a Monday/Wednesday/Friday course (except the math course, which doesn't meet on Fridays).

I talked with my adviser this afternoon and she advised me to register for both the cybersecurity course with a good professor and the math course, go to both the first day, and see which one is better and then drop the other one. Unfortunately, neither are likely to be good. The only other possibility is to petition the university for permission to take a third independent study, but the petition can't even be heard until the second week of classes and isn't guaranteed, or to postpone my graduation by a semester in hopes of something better being available in the spring.

In any case, this completely ruins my perfect schedule for fall semester and throws a massive wrench into my job search as I no longer have entire days open to schedule job interviews.

On top of all of that, Amazon charged me over $130 this morning for the items in the missing UPS package, so I have to call them and fight them over that.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's awesome! I am getting so annoyed by a 'friend' spouting her "personal freedom not to get the vaccine" that I've cut contact with her. She has a physical disability which also makes learning disabilities very likely, but that's no excuse for putting her freedoms over the safety of others. She got mad because here in Canada, all healthcare and federal government workers must be vaccinated. I'm like, there's a reasonable limit to freedoms when it comes to the safety of other people. At this point, I figure my time and energy are better spent preparing for another lockdown, rather than arguing with stupid, selfish people.

Ish. I'm sorry - I agree it sounds like you need a solo vacation!

JC, that sucks! I hated the nightmare of cancelled classes (AND it is so much worse in your final semester). It was a bit of a hassle (actually a lot of a hassle), but back in my undergrad we could enroll in a different university, take one of their online classes and have it approved to count as credits towards your degree. Could you do something like that?

Day 1 of my very boring but much needed 4 day weekend: I had to run out to get a package early this morning (I'm having the worst luck with deliveries lately). I was really tempted to run into the mall for a treat (I haven't even been able to online shop!!!) but between the smoke (it's baaaaad again) and the outbreak, I decided against it. I just got groceries delivered (yaaaaayyy ICE CREAM!!) so now I got to put my time and energy into cleaning. Trying to decide if I want to try to do a marathon clean today so I can "enjoy" the rest of my weekend (not that there's anything fun I can do) or just do a little bit each day.

23. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This guy is so cool and the fact he loves animals and nursed many back to health is so admirable. And yeah, the fact that even he, clearly a Luke Skywalker-type of a hermit, wanted to be vaccinated and understands the importance of eradicating a disease, puts him already 20+ years ahead of everyone else :p

I totally sympathize. I hate the whole "personal freedom not to get the vaccine" thing.

That makes sense if you can't have the vaccine due to a medical reason, but what about if I get sick from one of these unvaccinated "it's my body my choice" people and end up in hospital or infect others despite being vaccinated because they created a new variant where vaccines don't work as well? I should absolutely then be able to legally sue them for being selfish. And honestly, they should be legally responsible for any lockdowns, mask-mandates, hospital overloads that happen because it's their fault IMO.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am all for personal freedom so long as it doesn’t hurt other people. So yes I agree.

Chyntuck and DarthIshtar like this.
  25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    In theory I could, but it's so close to the start of classes that there's no way I could complete the enrollment and approval process in time. Plus, it's a specific requirement in my major (a 4000-level elective in Computer Science or Computer Engineering), and so finding an appropriate course to replace it elsewhere would be difficult at best. On top of that, I'd have to formally transfer the credit back to my university after the semester, meaning that I would miss graduation as I wouldn't be able to show the necessary enrollment to be eligible for the ceremony.

Anyway, I emailed the professor of the security course I registered for, and he responded in six minutes with a copy of last year's syllabus. He also told me he doesn't assume any prior knowledge of security or networking and will cover that in class the first week. It looks like that course might just work.

Your personal freedom ends where other people's rights begin. ;)