main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Awe yes! Delete all the unnecessary notes. For me it was deleting all the unneeded webpage bookmarks! And the document that told me what tuition I had to pay and when!

Tomorrow, my co-workers and I are plunging into the lake for a publicity stunt to raise awareness for our upcoming fundraiser... and it's going to be a nice brisk -7C (that's about 19 degrees for you Americans). If you don't hear from me, I've become a popsicle.

Tomorrow evening (if I survive) I am ordering my favourite pizza and probably cake, drinking a whole lot, and cuddling up with a Christmas movie. On the bright side, we've pretty much done all we can do prep for this fundraiser on New Years Day. We were thinking we were probably going to have to work through Thursday, but now we are going to try to call it quits after Tuesday.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Ha, that's the next thing to go. Fortunately I over-organize my bookmarks into a complex folder structure, so all of my college bookmarks are in one folder, so I just have to get rid of that. Except there's a handful I want to keep, so I have to go through the entire folder and its subfolders to extract those before I delete the folder.

Nice. I want to give a polar plunge a try once just to say I did it.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Honestly, it wasn't that bad, even at -8C. Worst part was getting a microphone shoved in my face for an interview immediately afterwards when I just wanted to get some dry pants on (I hate being on camera normally but try to give coherent answers after just being dunked in a lake is a special kind of torture). Buuut that doesn't happen to most people.

Former staff keep recommending we tell people to get their feet as dry and warm as possible immediately after, and I now understand why - that's the coldest part. Just dry your feet and put on a fresh pair of socks and some dry shoes on after and you're fine till you can get to your car or wherever to change.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Noted. :)

Enjoy your pizza and cake!

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Polar plunges and swimming is nice. I am still going every day to the Noordzee. It is depending on eb- and flood. And two days ago a big tube for the windmill-park that is being constructed at sea and with the power-cables coming here ashore was blocking my way. A cold shower after the swim is nice to get rid of the sand

6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    BIG NEWS!!!!

Bryg, my dear friend, and her family are moving back to our State!!!!

*high pitch squealing and happy dance*

She’s going to be two or less hours away from where I live!

*more high pitched squealing*

I’M SO HAPPY!!!!

They’re moving here in mid January!

I’ll be able to meet her four youngest children! I’ve only met her oldest and that was when he was a baby/toddler.

I just found out a few hours ago when I called to wish her Happy Birthday and she told me while we were chatting afterwards.

I’m emotionally going to be bouncing off the walls with excitement.

I’ve always been curious about doing a Polar Plunge or Polar Dip. Maybe I’d chicken out as I don’t like the cold or being cold but maybe not if it was for a good cause.

Did I say that we got our tree? I don’t remember. Evan helped pick it out! Right now we just have lights on it and might just leave it that way. Christmas Eve after Evan goes to bed I’m going to put candy canes on it; if I put them on now he won’t give us a moment of peace as he’ll be begging for one.

It’s not the best picture; I’ll get a better one tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    no large Christmas parties here. Only 2 visitors allowed because we are in lockdown

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It will just be me at my sister's and her boyfriend's so the new restrictions imposed wont really affect us. Kinda glad I didn't decide to go back home for the holidays, one because of the new restrictions and two, because it's currently -25C (-13F) there.

Trying to tidy up my condo - it's fairly clean, my laundry, garbage, and recycling are just overflowing, but people on the building's FB were complaining this morning about the overflowing dumpster situation (our dumpster is awful - the lid is impossible to open so everyone throws it in the little hatch, so it all piles up under the hatch) so maybe I'll just put my garbage on my balcony until tomorrow (it's below freezing so it wont smell, however the probability of me forgetting it there is quite high). Maybe I'll suss out the situation when I bring my recycling down, but I really don't want to do two trips.

I also have to go pick up a package - my sister's Christmas gift. I ordered it back in late OCTOBER so I wouldn't have to deal with the post office in December but it finally came on FRIDAY (and of course I have to pay duties so they wouldn't just leave it at my door). And of course, we got a dumping of snow yesterday and are supposed to get more so the roads are unpleasant. I'm trying to figure out when I can get it when there wont be a crazy line. Today is out of the question (they close at 5 and I ain't going out on a Sunday afternoon in December). Monday mid-morning is usually my go to for dreaded errands (since I don't work and it's usually quiet), but I'm working this Monday (we all agreed to work Monday and Tuesday so we can peace out the rest of the week) so it's either Monday before work (best option but am I really going to be that organized tomorrow morning? Unlikely) or late in the evening tomorrow (probably quieter, but maybe not).

Ugh can't wait to not have to go anywhere or do anything for a few days before and after Christmas).

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So I'm supposed to be spending this week cleaning, throwing out junk, and packing to move next Tuesday. Instead, I've spent most of my time doing the run-around. Last Wednesday I visited my insurance agent's office to set up everything for the move. That night at 1am I logged in online to discover that my mailing address had been updated too early, so I set my alarm for 6:30am Thursday and went back to the office at opening on Thursday to fix that. Then I had a busy weekend with pre-planned activities, during which I also made an unplanned run back to Best Buy to get a price adjustment on my washer and dryer (because they both went on sale for $100 off each a week after I bought them).

Monday I got a little bit of cleaning work done between about midnight and 3am (there I am with the night owl bull**** again!), and I was planning to do the same Tuesday night (last night), except that I got the email bill from my insurance and the monthly amount had dropped substantially (which didn't make sense because I increased coverage amounts on two different policies), so I logged in and investigated and nothing looked right and there was no sign of any renter's insurance at all at either address, so I canceled all cleaning plans for last night, set another 6:30am alarm, and drove the half hour back to my agent's office to figure that out. Apparently everything is right on their end and some anomalies are normal while things are being updated (the quote from the guy who checked things over was "State Farm is like the Titanic; it doesn't turn very fast"), but while I was there I initiated the transfer of my account to another agent who is much closer to me (the agent I had been using was in my old hometown where I had lived when I lived with my dad, because it was the same agent he uses, but I was getting annoyed at having to spend a whole hour round-trip driving for every visit there).

I got lunch after that and headed home to rest for a few moments, then went out and visited the local AT&T store to set up my internet for the new place. That went smoothly, then I came home and clicked on the email link to set up my account, and couldn't get it to take the password I HAD JUST ENTERED INTO THE CHANGE PASSWORD FORM EWIUORFHW4EBF!!!!! After an hour of fighting with it, ten password changes, and three account lock-outs, I finally abandoned it and went to scroll through Facebook for a while before heading back to the AT&T store to get help. After 45 minutes of Facebook scrolling, I gave it one more try before leaving and... it worked. Apparently the password changes were not taking effect immediately, which there's no good reason for them to not be immediate (I should know since I literally have a college degree* in that field :p).

So now that's done, and I can finally focus on cleaning, junk disposal, and boxing things up. Both sides of my family have canceled their Christmas get-togethers due to COVID (between old ladies on one side that are high-risk, and young children on the other side who aren't eligible to get vaccinated yet), so I'll have all day both Christmas Eve and Day to pack.

*Speaking of said college degree, it was posted to my transcript today!!!!! I'm now OFFICIALLY a four-year college graduate, and the first one on either side of my family. :D [face_party]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    A great achievement! Congrats! I'm always happy to hear of mature students doing great things like this and you should be proud of yourself.

11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    What @gizkaspice said. Congratulations again! :)

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

And a crazy busy week! Ugh, moving is always so much work, even when things do go right the sleep schedule is kinda thrown out between errands taking up all the normal daylight hours.

As for me, I worked Monday and Tuesday helping my co-worker - now boss - clean out the former boss' office. Some of the stuff we found buried was so enraging - like gift cards donated to us for various fundraisers - and not insignificant amounts, like $75 GCs, and printed out documents and emails that had no reason to be hard copies and would have served us so much better on the drive. Just some infuriating practices were really brought to light.

And dealing with trying to plan our biggest fundraiser of the year (on New Years Day) amid new restrictions - so far we are good because it's outside and a fairly short event but we've had to do major re-planning, and we are SOOOOO close to getting cancelled because everything else is.

Anyway so we decided to take the rest of the week off. Thank God because I sat down last night and realized how burned out I am. I had the energy today to give my place a really good cleaning and I feel so much better. I should be taking this opportunity to rest my wrist (my repetitive stress injury has been really bad lately), but I really want to write!

13. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My niece Fay and her mom Dany got me this for Christmas.

Dany said that she and Fay saw them this passed Summer at Walmart and Fay insisted that they get it for me for Christmas; along with a Scooby-Doo Mug for Nana.

[​IMG]

The Star Trek mug is Ephraim’s gift from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

Big Christmas news: My older sister is pregnant with a baby girl due in June[face_party]

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Awww! Congratulations devil!

Merry (late) Christmas to those that celebrate. I did the 24 hour thing at my sister’s and I’m home now just enjoying doing nothing! We had a pretty major snowstorm and it’s -17C here so I’m just relaxing at home, curled up in blankets. Part of me wants to write but I also just want and need to give my body a longer break from sitting at a laptop.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm cursing my procrastination skills that I refined and mastered during college. This apartment is nowhere near ready to move Tuesday morning. I know I have time to get it done, but I also know I have time to slack off and watch NFL football and still get it all done, so of course I'm watching NFL football instead of throwing away junk and boxing things up. I have about 37 hours (including two sleeps) before the moving company shows up.

I did get some furniture shopping done today, and bought a new couch and a dining table and chairs from a local outlet store.

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks, @Briannakin!

I'm super excited and will probably spoil my little niece once she arrives:D

18. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I love that it's -12 C degrees here because that gives me the perfect excuse not to leave the house for a whole week :p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    it's -20C here now (it got down to -41C where I'm from) and I couldn't agree more! I have an errand to run but I have a pretty good excuse not to do it this week.

Unfortunately, I have to work outside most of the day Saturday - the catch 22 is that it's supposed to get a bit warmer (-9C) so while it will be nicer than what it is now, the event won't be cancelled due to the weather.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    +12C on New years eve. We have lock-down with only the supermarkets and essential stores open.
    No fireworks. No visitors. No New Year dive in the sea with green-pea-soup afterwards. It will be a silent celebration.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Broke my computer today. Got a new graphics card I had been looking foreward to for months. Wanted to insert it myself... and broke the motherboard. Need to order a new one, which will only be there in a week at best. A week where I‘m alone at home, can‘t visit family or friends, can‘t go out anywhere because I‘m not vaccinated. Can‘t even go to work because its my vacation.

A week of emptynes, boredom, loneliness and depression. And once its over, work will soon begin again.

The thought of this vacation kept me going the last few hellish weeks at work... and now its all gone.

Chyntuck and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that :( Maybe make the most of it and take this opportunity to completely disconnect? It can be nice.

So my cluster-kriff for 2021: at work, it was decided this morning that with all the rising COVID cases to cancel our biggest fundraiser of the year. I 100% agree with this decision (the event was technically in a loophole with restrictions but it's just the right thing to do... plus it means I don't have to sit outside on New Years day when it's like -16C so I'm REALLY happy about that!), but yeah, it's so last minute (we should have made this decision a week ago, but at least I had a plan for everone in place if this did happen), so it's been a flurry of emails, contacting media, meetings and social media posts, and me running on caffeine and a scone with 17 internet tabs open. I think I've emailed everyone and scheduled a ton of social media posts.

BUUUUT (as my sister kindly pointed out) the last 3 months of my life have basically been for nothing.

I'm taking a break to actually eat something, and then I have to go through my list again.

The nice part is that now I actually get to enjoy New Years eve... by myself. I think I might order dinner tonight (God knows I'll need it) and order enough to have leftovers to enjoy tomorrow (because trying to order out tomorrow will be a nightmare). I also have to decide what I am going to watch. Normally I do a SW marathon but I did that a few days ago. Hmmmm. Either Harry Potter or Indiana Jones. Maybe something Marvel like Captain America???

I'm also going to drink... a lot.

Chyntuck and Anedon like this.
  23. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @Anedon I'm sorry to hear, that sucks so much! Are you able to go outdoors for walks/bike rides or anything like that, just to get some fresh air and get out for a bit?

It's hard to even believe it's New Year's again. This year's been such a blur. Last year I remember feeling this optimism, this sense of hope that we made it through a hellish time and things would be okay. But things just kept getting worse and now it's like there's not even a glimmer of hope or happiness left anywhere. And honestly I don't see things getting better ever again, not with all the issues the world is facing. I really, really want to be proven wrong on that. And that wraps up my pessimistic depressed ramble for the day. :p

Sending good vibes to everyone and wishing you all a safe, happy 2022. [:D][:D]

Chyntuck and Anedon like this.
  24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    It took AT&T 48 hours to get my internet working. But I finally have gigabit fiber internet! I promptly renamed the Wi-Fi network to "Pfizer 5G chip" for the lulz. :p (Yes, all three of my COVID shots are Pfizer.)

Also bought a new smart TV this morning and mounted it on my TV stand this afternoon. I still need to set it up, but if all goes well, I should be able to control the TV, washer, and dryer all from one app on my phone since they are all LG products and ThinQ-compatible.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Last year around this time we had so much to look forward to... this year, IDK. It seems like we know we are going to be stuck with the same idiots continuing to mess things up.

I've been trying to save myself from the pit of despair by looking forward to the little things: I likely only have a half-day of work tomorrow, I have a new tablet coming (to hopefully make me happy even when my body is totally non-functioning - right after I posted that last message, I fell while transferring into my wheelchair, something that rarely happens and I fell on my good hip - I'm fine, just kinda sore) and I have 10 days off in January (abet with very little to do other than booster shot and dentist appointments - I was hoping to meet up with some friends but that's unlikely), AND my muse is kinda being cooperative (it's garbage, but garbage that's giving me a creative outlet).

And I just realized most of my good things have a bad side. Bah.

Anyway. I never did get around to changing my wifi name in this place (I know it's not hard and I know I should). We had some hilarious names back in uni: Bill Wi the Science Fi; Obi Wi Kenofi, Pretty Fly for a WiFi, CSIS Undercover Pickup Truck, For The Love Of God Stop Hosting Karaoke. We hosted a lot of study groups and so gave it out often, but the internet was in my sister's name despite her not living there (long story), so I changed the password frequently and changing the name was just a funny step.

Chyntuck and amidalachick like this.