main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Consider that like a hug, @Jedi_Lover. The kid is going to do what he wants, and since he's an adult, it's time to see if he can fly. Just remind him that you're always a phone call away, and know that sometimes young people have to make big mistakes, sometimes even expensive mistakes, to learn. Even if he fails and comes back to you, it will be valuable life experience that will better prepare him for his next adventure.

Chyntuck, Lady_Misty and Kahara like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    He is a sweet guy. I just wish he better prepared for the move. I would have had him pack up all his things and clean up the condo. That is probably why he left suddenly. lol!

Chyntuck, Lady_Misty, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  3. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Right. I would go ahead and sell the condo to get that obligation out of your hair. If he comes back, he can always sleep on an air mattress on your living room floor for a bit until other arrangements can be made. That's what moms are for.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    But I don't want him living in my house! Seriously... I think it will be sold sooner than later.

Chyntuck and UltramassiveUbersue like this.
  5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    And I'd wager a week's pay he doesn't want to live in your house either. ;)

But as a temporary measure, it's worth consideration.

Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
  6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Hi Everybody. Just wanted to check in and let y'all know I haven't abandoned this place. I just have ADHD and way too many hobbies!

7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Same on the too many hobbies aspect. Workouts, Pokemon TCG, Magic: the Gathering, kayaking, more workouts... I feel like I have no time left these days. I have a mammoth story chapter that was posted two months ago that I promised to read and I just don't have the time and energy at the same time to do it, or much of anything really.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a fic that makes me have hours-long arguments about military tactics of the rebel alliance at times and demanding job stuff. And many hobbies. And depression.

I’m here tonight because I came to look for the rest of a fic by JediGaladriel here 22 years ago. I waited six days to sign up and start posting my own stuff, but this is my anniversary for me.

9. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I need more hobbies. Any suggestions?

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Acrylic pour painting is what I picked up during the pandemic.

Also, I’ve now been here 22 years as of today.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  11. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    I hope your depression stabilizes and you feel better soon, @DarthIshtar. [:D] And Happy Anniversary. :)

@gizkaspice - My ADHD and Bipolar Disorder like to compete to see who can make me buy more stuff, so I'm trying to direct my attention toward cheap hobbies. Berry season is starting! Lone Pine publishes some excellent field guides-- just make sure you get one specific to your area so you can differentiate all the edible species from the poisonous lookalikes. I also suggest buying the most recent editions to ensure that newly arrived invasive species are included. Don't rely on Google and foraging apps alone; a good field guide is written and edited by reputable professors of biology and ecology.

Some years I'm organized enough to can some jam for Christmas presents, and the invasive Himalayan blackberry makes a great wine. :D Mushrooms are a lot of fun to identify, too, but you'd be wise to give yourself a few years of experience before you eat any. Maybe this will be the year that I start collecting and pressing seaweeds to make some pretty art... probably not, but I've got my field guide ready just in case! [face_laugh]

This week I bought a stupid amount of cotton yarn to knit dishcloths (my reading comprehension improves if I'm knitting at the same time). Dishcloths are great for knitting or crochet because you can practise new stitches and patterns without committing to a whole sweater. My mom passed away last month and left thousands of dollars worth of sewing machines, quilting fabric, and other stuff... hopefully I'll see some of it before my dad donates it all.

Now's a great time to start gardening too, if that appeals to you. Herbs are nice.

If you have a lot of bacon eaters in your house, the rendered fat makes a great soap! [face_laugh] Seriously, I can go on forever.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    gizkaspice, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Whatever you do, don’t use the bacon grease to make chocolate chip cookies. My roommate did this as an experiment a few days ago and it was the most unpleasant dessert experience of my life. If you think it should taste a bit like bacon, it tastes more like unsalted dishwater.

13. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    [face_laugh] That sounds... unfortunate.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    We both kept saying, “oh, this is just so weird.” We’ve agreed she will never do that to me again.

Chyntuck, Lady_Misty, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My son got to California, found a place to live and is now sending me taunting photos of him at poolside during a sunny day...meanwhile it is snowing here in Michigan. :rolleyes: Thanks everybody for your calming advice. He seems to like his new job and living space.

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, I would totally taunt my family and friends if I moved somewhere warm. I even did it when I flew to Florida in January for the weekend. :p

Glad he's enjoying it. His wings have been spread and he seems to be flying. :)

18. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701: You were asking for Hobbies?!?

"Dungeons & Dragons" sessions. My new vice since the pandemic. My husband & his twin lured me in & I like IT, love it. Even try to follow the 3rd Campaign of Matt Mercer & his "Critical Role" team.

19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Guess who now has no gallbladder! Yes, that's right gentlefolk, my gallbladder is now no longer trying to kill me. Hubby looked at me this morning and went "Oh, you're actually pink and not yellow", so that's a...uh...compliment?

Also, in terms of hobbies - drying flowers is fun and doing botanical embroidery with said dried flowers is also lots of fun :D

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yay! Hope you are recovering well and taking good care after your operation, Kit. [:D] My mom had the same thing done a while back, and it was nothing but good for her, too.

21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I think it was Gizkaspice that was asking for hobbies. My suggestion is knitting or crochet. Yarn crafts are fun and relaxing.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It’s still snowing in Utah and people are complaining CONSTANTLY about it. It’s amusing. Usually, I’m annoyed that it’s spring and no longer snowing.

Meanwhile, I’m very congested and coughing. I need a vacation.

23. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I've barely been ill since January 2020... until this year. Two colds since January. So bitter. :p Hopefully it's just that people are more sociable and thus have more germs and not that my immune system is wonky now.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    UltramassiveUbersue and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    You can come down here where we are still getting 30C days in Queensland despite Autumn supposedly starting. It's muggy and ridiculous but without the rain to go with the humidity.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I got COVID on the flight home from visiting a friend last year and have otherwise mostly avoided illness.

I went to a mission reunion last weekend; we have a conference twice a year at church and my friend Heidi organized one to coincide with the night before the conference. It was really good to hang around with old friends and share inside jokes and see our leaders who are getting on in years. Since I’m hoping to move this year, I felt it was important to go in case I couldn’t make it back for several years. Had a panic attack that almost kept me from going, but it was worth it.

I thought on Monday that I’d picked up COVID from there, but tested negative. I’m blaming my cold apartment and my chronic sinusitis.